PDA

View Full Version : Wooden floors

Excessive Force
08-21-2007, 10:10 AM
So I wanna get wooden floors. I dont know squat about it. Looking for some suggestions or comments. Do they scratch easy? Any disavantages/advantages to lighter colors over darker colors? Will surface ruin easy with pets? Maintenance? TIA:D

Silver
08-21-2007, 02:05 PM
So I wanna get wooden floors. I dont know squat about it. Looking for some suggestions or comments. Do they scratch easy? Any disavantages/advantages to lighter colors over darker colors? Will surface ruin easy with pets? Maintenance? TIA:D
My parents are in the biz. Still need info?

socalmoney
08-21-2007, 02:40 PM
If your annal about scratches and pits, you might want to reconsider real wood floors. Don't drop your keys on them, don't let your pets walk on them, don't get them wet or expose them to moisture, and so on and so on. They look great but I don't like how easy they scratch.

al cole'holic
08-21-2007, 05:27 PM
..best way to start, what's your budget you are looking to stay around? Do you want a real hardwood floor that will last 30 years done by an expert company in the neighborhood of $30-$50/sq' or do you want a great durable engineered wood veneer prefinished system for around $5/sq' plus a labor of roughly $2/sq' with a glue down install. Engineered is the way most new home builders go, the finish is good for traffic (keep an eye on the dogs nails) and will last a good while and could be refinished a time or two in it's life. I've personally had a $40k real wood floor (3/4" oak) that was bullet proof for years and years then I went to a marble and I regret it all the time. The brand new home I'm in now will be getting an engineered glue down, 5"...probably a Richard Marshall brand distressed as I don't plan on being here too long and it is good looking as well. :D

boatpoor
08-21-2007, 08:15 PM
Richard Marshall still in buisness? Joe left ,don"t know if Dick could keep it going.

BadKachina
08-21-2007, 08:44 PM
We have real Oak hardwood floors in the living room, dining room, kitchen, entry way, and breakfast nook. The only place I regret having it is in the kitchen. If you drop something in the pantry, or in front of the fridge it will dent it. Also we had a leak from the dishwasher that swelled it up but it went back down, however you can feel the texture of it where it swelled up. It's very elegant looking, it feels warmer than tile, but it shows dust in the light, since it's a high gloss urethane finish. You could opt for a matte finish and that would hide the dust better. My wife mops it with some special stuff, I believe it's Polycare, you'll need their special mop and special cleaning supplies. You have to be careful not to get it too wet. A damp mop (their special mop) with the Ploycare is all you can use to clean it. So the wife hates to mop it every week, but it stays clean, and she has OCD about cleaning anyways. We also don't have pets inside and NO ONE wears shoes in our house, ever. No shoes, no scuff marks, no footprints, no bare feet either. Socks only.

Excessive Force
08-21-2007, 08:52 PM
..best way to start, what's your budget you are looking to stay around? Do you want a real hardwood floor that will last 30 years done by an expert company in the neighborhood of $30-$50/sq' or do you want a great durable engineered wood veneer prefinished system for around $5/sq' plus a labor of roughly $2/sq' with a glue down install. Engineered is the way most new home builders go, the finish is good for traffic (keep an eye on the dogs nails) and will last a good while and could be refinished a time or two in it's life. I've personally had a $40k real wood floor (3/4" oak) that was bullet proof for years and years then I went to a marble and I regret it all the time. The brand new home I'm in now will be getting an engineered glue down, 5"...probably a Richard Marshall brand distressed as I don't plan on being here too long and it is good looking as well. :D
By engineered do you mean laminate? i guess i should read up on the differences. I was looking to stay in the $5/sqft vicinity. Looking for something with the beveled edge planks as i think it has a more realistic look to it.

blown428fe
08-21-2007, 08:57 PM
All wood floors will scratch, the cleaner you keep your the floor the longer it will last for you. Scratches tend to show up more on darker floors, satin finishes are nice if your worried about scratches. Moisture cure finishes are are the best but highly toxic and exsplosive but are very hard to scratch. Dont be affraid of wood floors they can take some abuse. Heres some floors I did for my wifes freind.
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/10337flooring-1_011-med.jpg
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/10337flooring-1_013-med.jpg
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/10337flooring-1_010-med.jpg