PDA

View Full Version : " Smack in the mouth" @ Jury duty!

Sportin' Wood
08-21-2007, 06:14 PM
So after many years of dodging Jury duty because I had a business to run, Jury Duty comes along again. I always felt real bad that I could not serve but leaving the inmates in charge was reserved for long weekends at the river not sitting in Jury Duty for a week.
Well having sold the Business and me being "semi" retired I figured the projects I was working on could miss me for a week. Being the ever boyscout I show up early and get one of the 150 free juror parking spots. I was some what smart and drove the wifes Camaro so I could fit rather then the F350.
As I pulled to the last spot in the line( The extra wide one at the inside corner) I noticed the Motherly looking woman having a bit of trouble fitting her SUV. She was right on the line in a spot (all spots for that matter) that suited a very small import. No problem I have plenty of room I'll giver her a little more so she can get in and out easy, being a boyscout after all.
I then made my way to an allready packed juror staging area, where I felt as if I was being ready for shipping. Here we waited and did a little people watching, listening to people's excuse as to why they could not be there and my personal favorite, Taking your screaming child to Jury duty. After about an hour of them telling us the same instructions over and over I eased into my newest Book..... "Collapse" by Jared Diamond. Another hour goes by and they call my name, but I'm not gonna be leaving this purgatory type holding cell, I'm just in a group now. Another hour goes by and they call my name again... Now instead of group 61 I'm in group 33.. OK now what? Lunch break..... For 3 hours! WTF? 3 hours?
So after reading a couple chapters, walking around down town Riverside( It's really nice)and buying 2 taco's for $7.00 I'm back in the holding cell. Looking at a whole bunch of pissed off people, except the men sitting around the 20 something good looking brunett with the very thin white cotton dress and matching thong underwear. Thank God for thin white dresses!:D
A few more chapters on how we are killing the earth, Easter Island, and cannibalism. (plus a few glances at the girl in a see thru dress) They tell us we get another break.... For what?
Now I now you guys are thinking the girl in the white dress punched me in the mouth?:D :D No not yet, wait for it....... Another selection process and they send half the group to another Court house at 2;00 pm and tell them to make a 45 minute drive in 30 minutes. Now here are some really pissed off people.
1 hour later they tell me and my Group 33 we are free to go and don't need to come back for a year. WTF just happened here? Oh well one day and I'm free, I'll take that and I'm thinking Jury duty aint all that bad, airconditioning, white dresses, and a good book. Where do I sign up for next week?
So back out to the Juror only free parking where what do I find????
A fawking parking ticket!
For parking outside the lines.....$25.00 Damnit! Thanks alot you bastards. I'm going back to throwing the damn sumons in the trash. thats it my one and only time a jury duty. I walked around and took pictures of no less then 5 cars in the same area that where parked over the line with no tickets.. Some so close you can't get in the car door... No ticket... They must have known I enjoyed jury duty and there is a rule somewhere that says you have to hate jury duty!
BTW why don't they fix Jury duty? What a Joke!

Havasu1986
08-21-2007, 06:26 PM
Don't worry about it's your wifes car.:eek: :D
<------Me to slow typing.

RitcheyRch
08-21-2007, 06:29 PM
Sure am glad I have NEVER done jury duty.

intense
08-21-2007, 07:05 PM
Where's the pic of the chick in the white dress?:idea:

My Man's Sportin' Wood
08-21-2007, 07:10 PM
Yeah, hunny. Where's the pic of the chick in the white dress?
Oh, and if you leave ME with the $25 parking ticket, trust me, it'll cost a lot more than that. :D

Blew By You
08-21-2007, 07:16 PM
Oh, and if you leave ME with the $25 parking ticket, trust me, it'll cost a lot more than that. :D
Post a pic of the girl in the white dress, pay the 25 bucks and its all good. haha

My Man's Sportin' Wood
08-21-2007, 07:47 PM
I suggested that he just pay it for you. :eek:
Nice try. I saw your post, focker! :mad:
:D :D :D

Havasu1986
08-21-2007, 07:50 PM
I suggested that he just pay it for you. :eek:
Me to. :D :D

My Man's Sportin' Wood
08-21-2007, 07:52 PM
You both are going on my "bad kid" list.

DILLIGAF
08-21-2007, 07:53 PM
HAHA...Ain't that the truth :)

RitcheyRch
08-21-2007, 07:54 PM
Exactly what I am thinking. :D
Post a pic of the girl in the white dress, pay the 25 bucks and its all good. haha

Sportin' Wood
08-21-2007, 08:00 PM
LOL MMSW has the same dress but she goes commando.:sqeyes: I sent in a request for review on the ticket, but I bet I still gotta pay.

intense
08-21-2007, 08:42 PM
LOL MMSW has the same dress but she goes commando.:sqeyes: I sent in a request for review on the ticket, but I bet I still gotta pay.
OK those pics will work then:D

Spotondl
08-21-2007, 10:55 PM
Fight that hsit... rolling over and taking one in the backside is exactly what those limp dick ticket pushers are counting on... you will win, hands down...
White dresses aside... WTF, send them a pic of the white dress too... BUT.. not before a post here on HB... :D :D :D

Outnumbered
08-21-2007, 11:53 PM
Now you know why OJ walked...the system is a joke.
You have more patience than I. I would have never made it thru that day. Pat yourself on the back, you did your good deed for the year:)

Sportin' Wood
08-22-2007, 05:36 AM
Now you know why OJ walked...the system is a joke.
You have more patience than I. I would have never made it thru that day. Pat yourself on the back, you did your good deed for the year:)
You are correct, I talked to a friend yesterday who is an arson investigator. they said they had an open and shut case where the guy had a prior for arson and the jury let him walk. The jury was a bunch of low lifes with no jobs and gov't workers that had a hard time staying awake. The upright citizens are all getting out of jury duty because its such a waste.
I don't see them fixing Jury duty. Why would gov't employees try and make themselves more effective.

OGShocker
08-22-2007, 05:41 AM
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=37646&stc=1&d=1187789986 :D :D :eek:
BTW, I'd pay it is I were you.

Sportin' Wood
08-22-2007, 06:09 AM
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=37646&stc=1&d=1187789986 :D :D :eek:
Never happen, all I need is some middle school student getting ahold of a pic of their teacher, and next thing ya know MMSW is in the tabloids.:D

C-2
08-22-2007, 06:52 AM
Sportin"Wood - short story writer. Nicely done.
------------------------
The meter readers in downtown walk around nailing cars for anything - over the line, outside the limit line parking box, cracked windshield, no front plates - you name it, they write it. Santa Monica is also big on that at their *public* parking garage. Bastards.
Right on the jury observation too...life is like a box of chocolates.

mobldj
08-22-2007, 07:09 AM
ahh,she is using the power.......and yes where are the pics of the white dress honey..lol:jawdrop:

Ultracrazy
08-22-2007, 07:56 AM
Blocking the launch ramp while taking pics.........and now parking outside the lines? Good Lord man, have you no pride??!?!?!? :D :D :D :D

socalmoney
08-22-2007, 08:01 AM
Five days of paid Jury duty will cover the cost of that ticket.

socalmoney
08-22-2007, 08:04 AM
I also don't recommend anyone park at the Court House in Riverside. They will ticket you for not front plate. It is worth the walk.

2Driver
08-22-2007, 08:07 AM
God after reading that by the end of the day I would be sticking sharp pencils in my ear just to distract me from the pain. :D

DaddyMack
08-22-2007, 08:52 AM
As a judge I get this or a similar complaint a lot. But this is the behind the scenes....
There really is no better system, to be able to be tried by "your peers", the problem comes not from the execution, but from the unwillingness to particpate, leaving only those that do participate to create the reputation of the system.
If everyone participated without trying to get out of it... then the jurty decisions might be what you would expect. But complaining about a system that you refuse to particpate in is hypocrytical.
Jeff... what you experienced (other than the ticket) is fairly normal. BUT I applaud you for particpating. Here is what happens...
A jury trial is scheduled for that day... so potential jurors are called to participate. The number of the jury panel varies depending on the judge and type of case due to people being excused for good reason or because an attorney believes that person might be biased against their case (there are limits and eventually you take what you get).
A lot of times the case (whether criminal or civil) may settle at the time of trial. Usually, by that time each side has a pretty good idea what the other side is going to say and produce at trial, but it takes actually being in the courtroom ready for trial for the party holding out on settling to finally decide to settle. If the parties are working on settlement, the potential jurors aren't brought into the courtroom or chosen.
If the settlement is taking a while and the Judge believes that it will settle, which is typically in the best interest of all parties, the potential jurirs are notified and given a longer break (lunch 3 hours) rather than have them sit in the jury room.
All of this may seem like an inconvenience, unless and/or until you are one of the parties in such a case.
If you don't particiapte, then complaining about the what a jury awards has zero weight, since you really can't complain about something you decline to particpate in. You get what you get.
I myself was called to jury duty several months ago. I called in and turned out that the juror number was not called that day and was rescheduled several weeks later. I was then called to be there at noon. After the instructions and a movie, we sat around for the good part of the afternoon, with a break in between. They then dismissed most of us and our jury serivce was done. A few jurys were empaneled that day, but I was not a part of them (don't know if I would have been chosen, but that at least would be a choice for the judge and attorneys on the case). I read most of a new book, and was fairly bored but at least i was there and participating.
Here I can't be called for another two years. My brother, ironically, a month earlier was called to jury duty and was empaneled but not chosen. Turns out I knew the attys involved as well as the judge. They didn't realize he was related to me until after the trial when I spoke to them.
Most everyone I have ever spoken to that was lucky enought to actually sit on a Jury and make a decision, have said it was eye opening and a fantiastic experience, notwithstanding the waiting around time.
I think its a small price to pay for our system and freedoms. Granted its not perfect, and may not even be close, but until something better comes along, it has worked for about 200 years.

Ziggy
08-22-2007, 09:06 AM
My experience went as far as getting into a court room where the attnrys interviewed all the potential jurors and either dismissed or added people to the juror panel. As luck had it I was one of the last 3 potentials when the judge suddenly called the lawyers into chambers. They came back after 20 or so minutes, dismissed everyone(incl sellected jurors) and had to start all over. Although somewhat interesting a total waste of two whole days.

socalmoney
08-22-2007, 09:10 AM
As a judge I get this or a similar complaint a lot.
There are a lot of "Judges" on ***boat.

DaddyMack
08-22-2007, 09:12 AM
My experience went as far as getting into a court room where the attnrys interviewed all the potential jurors and either dismissed or added people to the juror panel. As luck had it I was one of the last 3 potentials when the judge suddenly called the lawyers into chambers. They came back after 20 or so minutes, dismissed everyone(incl sellected jurors) and had to start all over. Although somewhat interesting a total waste of two whole days.
My guess is that something was said by one of the attorneys said something they were not permitted to say, and as a result the judge considered the entire panel tainted. That is, unfortunately, something that could occur and happens rarely, but better to dismiss it earlier than have the jury sit for the trial, only to be appealed due to the imporper statements made when the jury was being impaneled.

DaddyMack
08-22-2007, 09:12 AM
really? hmm who else?

Ziggy
08-22-2007, 09:38 AM
My guess is that something was said by one of the attorneys said something they were not permitted to say, and as a result the judge considered the entire panel tainted. That is, unfortunately, something that could occur and happens rarely, but better to dismiss it earlier than have the jury sit for the trial, only to be appealed due to the imporper statements made when the jury was being impaneled.
I figured as much too but not knowing what was done wrong bummed me out......I'm curious like that.

Ziggy
08-22-2007, 09:39 AM
You meant judge and jury, I'm sure. ;)

My Man's Sportin' Wood
08-22-2007, 11:28 AM
If you don't particiapte, then complaining about the what a jury awards has zero weight, since you really can't complain about something you decline to particpate in. You get what you get.
Most everyone I have ever spoken to that was lucky enought to actually sit on a Jury and make a decision, have said it was eye opening and a fantiastic experience, notwithstanding the waiting around time.
I think its a small price to pay for our system and freedoms. Granted its not perfect, and may not even be close, but until something better comes along, it has worked for about 200 years.
I agree. It is a shame that most of the people with half a brain work their asses off to get out of it. That leaves the defendant (it might be you there someday) and the D.A. with usually a bunch of losers deciding the case.
I actually enjoyed jury duty, once I got called for a trial. It's annoying, however, to hear the lame excuses people give. One guy home schooled his kids, didn't work, but couldn't spend his days at court. :confused: The judge actually let him go. The only time I realy fought to get out of it was when I was scheduled to have my second interview for this job. I had to pull out the tears card. I couldn't believe he let the guy who was a stay at home dad with a flexible schedule leave, but was going to make me lose my chance of getting a job. Anyway, I got out. I'm sure I'll be called again shortly. They seem to call me every single year without missing a beat. Overall, it is an interesting experience and our obligation if we want a trial by peers when our turn arises.
However, I think the LE downtown should be more lenient when it comes to jury parking. It's like bait. Force you to come downtown by court order, then look for any possible reason to ticket you.

DaddyMack
08-22-2007, 12:50 PM
I agree. It is a shame that most of the people with half a brain work their asses off to get out of it. That leaves the defendant (it might be you there someday) and the D.A. with usually a bunch of losers deciding the case.
I actually enjoyed jury duty, once I got called for a trial. It's annoying, however, to hear the lame excuses people give. One guy home schooled his kids, didn't work, but couldn't spend his days at court. :confused: The judge actually let him go. The only time I realy fought to get out of it was when I was scheduled to have my second interview for this job. I had to pull out the tears card. I couldn't believe he let the guy who was a stay at home dad with a flexible schedule leave, but was going to make me lose my chance of getting a job. Anyway, I got out. I'm sure I'll be called again shortly. They seem to call me every single year without missing a beat. Overall, it is an interesting experience and our obligation if we want a trial by peers when our turn arises.
However, I think the LE downtown should be more lenient when it comes to jury parking. It's like bait. Force you to come downtown by court order, then look for any possible reason to ticket you.
The judges are much tougher here now. Almost no reason gets you out, including finals if you are college student. I don't have Jury trials in front of me (I only handle criminal misdemeanors so not entitled to jury trial), so I don't have to deal with the jury process in my courtroom.
And I agree... the parking ticket is chicken shit.

DaddyMack
08-22-2007, 12:51 PM
You meant judge and jury, I'm sure. ;)
OH>>> Duh... :)

HM
08-22-2007, 12:54 PM
The judges are much tougher here now. Almost no reason gets you out, including finals if you are college student. I don't have Jury trials in front of me (I only handle criminal misdemeanors so not entitled to jury trial), so I don't have to deal with the jury process in my courtroom.
I like the idea of "professional juries" similar to a grand jury. Any thoughts on that your honor? :D

DaddyMack
08-22-2007, 01:03 PM
I like the idea of "professional juries" similar to a grand jury. Any thoughts on that your honor? :D
Good and bad... depends how many cases they would have to hear. I think the first few would get a good shake... after that.. may get a litle jaded one way or another....

My Man's Sportin' Wood
08-22-2007, 02:58 PM
This was only June 06. I agree, they are much tougher now.

Screaming Pete
08-22-2007, 03:15 PM
i found the girl in the see thru white dress http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86vBC1j1zL8

Sportin' Wood
08-22-2007, 06:39 PM
Pretty close but smaller frame.(@$$)
I actually thought of a way I believe the Jury process could be improved, after all I had all day to ponder it.
Every juror has a badge with a bar code. When you arrive you should scan the bar code to gain entry into the juror lounge. Juror should arrive at 1 hour intervals untill 10:00 am starting at 7:00 am. 200 at a time.
The computer reading the bar code should attach each juror to a case at that time and the TV screens thruout the lounge should display your asignment, and time you will be needed. If you need to leave the juror room you will have to scan out. Only a balif would be required at the door and a supervisor to assist people. The TV screens would update each group.
By 12:00 pm they should know if they will need you. This system would not hold additional jurors for back up. In the afternoon a second group of jurors would show up to the court house and check in just like the first at 12:00, 1:00, and 2:00 pm. This group would be for any addition jurors the court needs. There for only truly requiring that a juror commit to half a day.
I think the biggest waste was the system they use to organize the Jury pool. They could make it much easier and quicker with a little technolodgy. I really did not mind going to jury duty and did enjoy the day untill I got the damn ticket.
I also thought that in the Jury waiting area they could have had CNN or FOX News playing on the blank TV screens. Hell 12 angry men would have been better then BLANK SCREEN!
Going to jury duty does not bug most people I believe.... Its knowing that they won't pick you and you will have to sit there all day for nothing.
I also think that High school gov't classes should brain wash kids on the importance of civic duty and how they should just plan on serving every year.
Ya know the thought of snapping a picture of the thin dress girl crossed my mind...... But I was sure I would get smacked in the mouth for trying that.............. Twice!:D

OGShocker
08-22-2007, 07:47 PM
Never happen, all I need is some middle school student getting ahold of a pic of their teacher, and next thing ya know MMSW is in the tabloids.:D
Your point is well taken. I am sorry for being rude.;)

My Man's Sportin' Wood
08-22-2007, 07:51 PM
Ya know the thought of snapping a picture of the thin dress girl crossed my mind...... But I was sure I would get smacked in the mouth for trying that.............. Twice!:D
Yeah, once from her and once from me! You pervert! :devil:

suckin&pumpin
08-22-2007, 08:01 PM
If you were a convicted felon like I am you would never have to worry about jury duty again

My Man's Sportin' Wood
08-22-2007, 08:07 PM
If you were a convicted felon like I am you would never have to worry about jury duty again
Unfortunately, that would mean giving up voting also. Not worth the trade-off IMO. :D

jbtrailerjim
08-28-2007, 03:53 PM
My jury duty day in Riverside went much smoother than yours did. I was summoned to go this week. I've been sooooo dreading having to go. :sleeping: I called in Sunday evening and they said not to come in on Monday and to call back Monday evening. Called back Monday evening and they said to be there at 12:45 today. Ugh... So I show up a little early and find a parking spot very easily. I drove the wifes car BTW. Thanks for reminding me about the parking. My F-250 would have been a mother f*cker trying to park.
So I report to the jury waiting room with the rest of the sheep. I sit in there for few minutes listening to the jury waiting room dude rattle off the rules and shit. He gets on with announcing names for peeps that need to report to a court room to possibly be picked. First group he tells us is going to be 60 people. Well I dodge getting called for that group. I think "cool" maybe I'll dodge the next group. He tells us the next group will be 30 people. I think "damn, thats 90 people total". There is know way I'm not going to get called for this group. He doesn't call my name for that group either. I think whewww. OK, now what? He tells the rest of us to take a 15 minute break. Shit, we've only been in here for 35 minutes and we're already taking a break??? Well whatever. :rolleyes: I go outside, make a phone call, & I come back in 15 minutes later. I sit there for about 10 minutes or so and he comes out and tells us the rest of us are dismissed for at least the next 12 months. Woooo Hooo! I'm free to go! My total time I spent there was less than 1 1/2 hours! That wasn't so bad after all.
I wonder if I'll get off that easy next time. :D
BTW, no hot chicks in see through white dresses. :( ;)