PDA

View Full Version : 70 El Camino

framer1
02-22-2006, 05:48 PM
What's a 1970 El Camino worth in good condition. It's a SS with a 396 automatic. Anybody have an idea? Does 25,000 sound like a deal?

Jordy
02-22-2006, 05:53 PM
Aside from the SS with the 396 part, which I'm sure adds value, I found a couple in the Auto Trader for under $10K. You might check Hemmings (I think) as they tend to track some of the more collectable cars.
http://www.autoextra.com/vehicledetail/adid-14226006/1970/chevrolet/el-camino/vacaville/ca/do-basic

framer1
02-22-2006, 05:58 PM
Aside from the SS with the 396 part, which I'm sure adds value, I found a couple in the Auto Trader for under $10K. You might check Hemmings (I think) as they tend to track some of the more collectable cars.
http://www.autoextra.com/vehicledetail/adid-14226006/1970/chevrolet/el-camino/vacaville/ca/do-basic
Thanks, 25 thousand doesn't sound to great now :yuk: What's Hemmings? I don't really collect but I had a 72 El Camino when I was a kid.

Jordy
02-22-2006, 06:00 PM
Lke I said, I don't know if the SS package with the 396 really bumps it up, but depending on what you wanted to do with it, that sounds a little on the high side.
I think it's Hemmings Motor News that has kind of a blue book deal for the more collectable cars. I know there is one out there that kind of tracks the big sales and auctions and runs a little closer to true value than KBB.com.

Jordy
02-22-2006, 06:13 PM
http://www.buyclassiccars.com/value.asp

meaniam
02-22-2006, 06:21 PM
the 70 elcamino is the most sought out elcamino of any year and brings in high dollar in i have sold 70 elcamino fender for a much as 864 dollars. the 70 is one year only and i really one of the nicest if not the nicest. start looking for numbers and you really might have a gem there. keep in mind that chevy didnt have a full production becuase of the strike andd they were low onn production numbers. and a true 1970 ss 396 is extreamly hard to find. my last 71 elco with a 305 nothing special other then it was drop dead gourges<sp> went for 15k throw in a 4spd you even made that car more rare....if you need help email me i am very familiar with these with over 30 in my possesion since 1998. these cars will not go down in price. and are investments. a super restored 70 elcamino ss 396 can and should hit 100k well lets say they already have... look for documentation as these were not seperated by vin. ill tell you were to find all the codes and stampings if you want to go for it. also look toward the rear mount of the lower control arm to make sure its not crack ripped or previosly repair. very common. and very unsafe
so back to 25k it easly could be worth that.
check teamchevelle.com for comps.

THOR
02-22-2006, 06:29 PM
I had that exact car. No way is it worth 25K unless it is in showroom condition.

Desert Rat
02-22-2006, 06:46 PM
I'm partial to the 69 look. 70 is nice but the 68/69 look gives me a chub :D After the last big auto auction I think every one with a semi-classic is looking for BIG $$ and most likly will get it :cry:

Sandbar Junkies
02-22-2006, 07:10 PM
I have a 68 ss that I will let go, for about 9k it has a small block in it now they took the 396 out but it is a true SS car. Very clean car runs great

H20 Toie
02-22-2006, 07:19 PM
When i find a clean 70 chevelle or el camino ss i would like to get again but only a 70.

meaniam
02-23-2006, 07:50 AM
i thought about this alot last night. and came up with this. the people who are not up on what these cars sell for, the people who dont deal with these cars everyday. are the same people who dont understand what these cars sell for everyday.
this thing is a bit of a pos. dash was spray painted the car has rust issues inside by the front window interior is a huge luagh the sats and panel are horrible, and will have to be redone. the wiring under the hood looks like hell and proable has cuts the autometer guage panel is hanging loose or is just a pos thiis car has a 10bolt peg leg the spray on bed liner is craplooks like they didnt even prep before rolling it on at home bad orange peel on a single stage paint. imagine the bondo and rust issues that are hiding here. this guy really went for a stretch in saying ss at all. i know a tune of people have laughed there asses off on this one. the guy threw a hood and a late 70s 454 and says ss he still will hit 11k
all i am saying make sure numbers match and if they do you have a true ss 396. and it doesnt have rust flaws bondo all over or the frame issue. that would be worth the 25k it may take 6 months to a year to get it. most people dont have it floating around. and there are a shit load that like to pretend they do. but they all want to go down memory lane and pretend they're ballers. and this is why i make the money i do. and people wait on me to sell them parts that make clone ss elcaminos and chevelles. they all spend more money making fake ss then if they would have just bought one out right.and over the past 3 years the cars have dried up and are getting hard for me to find. and i need a larger bank role to do it. plus i need to work on a few of my projects myself and find some parts. just make sure you research this car. agian if it is close to me ill give it a look for you
I have a 68 ss that I will let go, for about 9k it has a small block in it now they took the 396 out but it is a true SS car. Very clean car runs great
i would really like to see some pics of this car. i now someone that maybe interested.and hell i maybe interested myself. is this a true 138 vin and cowl tag car. what tach does this have and will you send the cowl tag up info to me. do you have the protect o plate build sheet or any of the paperwork. can you tell me of any rust or rust repairs. i relize this is a pain but it is what my customer will ask. and since he is in canada. id have to go thru all this for him anyways

Jordy
02-23-2006, 07:56 AM
i thought about this alot last night. and came up with this. the people who are not up on what these cars sell for, the people who dont deal with these cars everyday. are the same people who dont understand what these cars sell for everyday.
Wow, that's pretty deep. So you're saying that the people who don't know what they sell for are the same people who don't know what they sell for??? :idea:
Personally, I think it's kind of a stretch. :D

lucky
02-23-2006, 07:59 AM
I know of a a 70 chevelle 396 that has been stored for 16 years in a garage -- HAS A BRAND NEW l- 88 still in a crate from 1977 car is a four speed and last i heard he'd take 15,000 for it - car is nice - has 70 diamond tuck - so a interior restore would be in order actually a restore would be the only way ....

SummitKarl
02-23-2006, 08:26 AM
Classic Car prices have gone CRAZY!!!!!!!!!!! a 70 SS 396 (matching numbers anything) is worth $20k
http://www.barrett-jackson.com/auctionresults/common/cardetail.asp?id=179714

meaniam
02-23-2006, 09:04 AM
I know of a a 70 chevelle 396 that has been stored for 16 years in a garage -- HAS A BRAND NEW l- 88 still in a crate from 1977 car is a four speed and last i heard he'd take 15,000 for it - car is nice - has 70 diamond tuck - so a interior restore would be in order actually a restore would be the only way ....
does it have the right 396 or just the l88?
i would try and work a deal out with him to sell it and maybe you might make a couple of bucks. use teamchevelle for example. just be ready to earn your money. if anyone dought me JORDY i will post examples. and tear aparts the fake ss on ebay to show you what clones are selling for.
Jordy Quote:
Originally Posted by meaniam
Wow, that's pretty deep. So you're saying that the people who don't know what they sell for are the same people who don't know what they sell for???
Personally, I think it's kind of a stretch.
i relize i might not have made sence. but here it goes ill see if i could do better.
those that dont know about the cars never owned one and never tried to own one or just dont even care. always say that is bullshit. and always recives sticker shock when they find out. barrett jackson is the most extream of the pricing. hemming i always thought was on the high side tell lately. and i see they are the example everyone uses. including insurance companies. ebay will get you what there worth. with a good discription. documentation help a ton. and agian the buyers will work you to death. but it is what it goes for.
i be willing to bet people would yell bullshit on this site. if i said i could get 15k for my ls6 454 motor only not a warrenty block. and i know it would be sold by monday with money order SENT OVER NIGHT IN MY HAND. now if i put that in a 70 chevelle 454 with documentation like this one http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chevelle-SS-454-LS6_W0QQitemZ4614679025QQcategoryZ6164QQrdZ1QQcmdZ ViewItem id proably get 45k if i restored it placed all the right paint lines on it id have one of the hottest selling cars not just chevelles on barrett jacksons lot.
why dont i do this first i dont have 60k just sitting around. 2nd they will only become more desirable. and 3rd i will wait tell i find the chevelle 454 ls6 car with the right production month. which will cost a load of cash. and take a long time tell i get it. imagine if i found the conv.

Havasu Cig
02-23-2006, 09:06 AM
My dad sold his 69 El Camino SS 396 with 40k original miles this past year for 25k. The car was in like new condition, and I think he sold it a little cheap. I would have bought it from him if it was a Chevelle or Camaro, but I am not a big El Camino fan. I think depending on condition it might be in the ballpark.

meaniam
02-23-2006, 09:21 AM
http://www.barrett-jackson.com/auctionresults/common/cardetail.asp?id=180174

spectras only
02-23-2006, 10:14 AM
My friend had one in 70 . Most were 350's , the SS 396 would fetch more for sure . Here's one listed in the local rag .I see them all the time at cheby meets, they becoming popular again .
http://www.buysell.com/root/detail/BC/Collector_Cars_1950_77/2216/-1/48477686/1970_CHEVROLET_EL_CAMINO_cowl_induction.aspx

AZKC
02-23-2006, 10:25 AM
Rather than read all the blah, blah, blah. I'll just jump in and say if its a number matching El Co. Somebody will spend 25k for it if its in great condition. :rollside:

Cole
02-23-2006, 10:46 AM
Rather than read all the blah, blah, blah. I'll just jump in and say if its a number matching El Co. Somebody will spend 25k for it if its in great condition. :rollside:
I kinda liked reading all the blah blah blah...... :rollside:

spectras only
02-23-2006, 11:01 AM
I tought it's a lot of blah blah blah about matching #'s too :p

meaniam
02-24-2006, 12:30 PM
here you go i knew i had this somewhere. just couldnt remember:
In 1970, there were two different SS packages available. One was the "Z25" SS-396 and the other was the "Z15" SS-454. There were only two engine choices for the SS-396: the 350 and 375 horsepower versions. It was a confusing year for 396 buyers. The 396 engines now actually displaced 402 cubic inches, but were still called a "396" when installed in an SS. There was also a new 330 horsepower "LS3" big-block "400" engine option available for the non-SS Malibu and El Camino Custom. To confuse things even further, there was a 400 cubic inch 2-bbl small-block available (only in the '70 Monte Carlo).
The Malibu "400" big-block was also actually a 402, and was basically an overbored version of the 325 horsepower 396 motor that had been available on the '68 and '69 SSs. The "Malibu 400" package, produced from '70-'72 on the Chevelle and El Camino is fairly scarce today. The reason is that many of these big-block vehicles have been converted to SS clones. In stock form, the Malibu 400 and El Camino 400 carried "400" emblems on the fenders.
A very limited number of SS Chevelles with the 375 HP 396 and the "L89" aluminum heads were produced in '70.
There were two engines available for the '70 SS-454 : the 360 horsepower "LS5" and the 450 horsepower "LS6". The '70 LS5 Chevelle is actually rarer than the '70 LS6 Chevelle. The LS6 was only available in the '70 Chevelle, the '70 El Camino, and the '71 Corvette. It was never available to the public in *any* other cars. The '70 LS5 motor used in the Corvette was identical to the Chevelle LS5, but for marketing reasons the Corvette rating was 390 horsepower. There was purported to be one known LS6 Chevelle with the L89 aluminum head option, but it is now generally believed that this car (and its documentation) is fake. Chevrolet also had an experimental LS7 engine that was supposed to be available in the '70 Corvette, but never materialized. However, the LS7 heads were available over the counter at GM dealers in '71 and '72. No factory built LS7 cars were ever sold to the public.
The '70 & up SS now had a completely different dash than the non-SS models. The '70 SS would have either "SS/396" or "SS/454" emblems on the fenders (and on the tailgate of the El Camino). The Chevelle SS had a white "SS" logo in the black rubber pad on the rear bumper. Both the Chevelle SS and El Camino SS had a large "SS" grille emblem (without any engine size).
The SS models also had a hood with a large bulge in the rear center. Hood stripes were an extra cost option with this hood. There was also a "Cowl Induction" option available. It had "Cowl Induction" emblems on either side of the bulge and a door on the top of the bulge that would open automatically when the engine needed extra air. The Cowl Induction option was NOT standard on any SS - it was always an extra cost item. The Cowl Induction option came with hood stripes. You could, however, delete the Cowl Induction stripes at no cost.You could get the stipes without the Cowl Induction option (at additional cost). All of the '70-'72 SS cars came with hood pins, except for some of the early '70 models (those built around April of 1970 or earlier) that were not ordered with Cowl Induction.
The '70 SS came with the same wheels used on the '69s.
it not really much to help out on finding wheather it is or isnot a ss but it is a little bit of trivia
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
tell-tale signs that might help you know if the car was a real ss car;
all big block cars had a 3/8ths fuel line, malibus would have had 1/4 inch- look at the area where the line goes up over the rear shock upper mount. to replace the line you would have to lift the body off the frame, so whatever size you have there is probably what it came with.

lucky
02-24-2006, 12:37 PM
He only has the l-88 and he Will not sell just the engine - I tried !!!!! lol
does it have the right 396 or just the l88?
i would try and work a deal out with him to sell it and maybe you might make a couple of bucks. use teamchevelle for example. just be ready to earn your money. if anyone dought me JORDY i will post examples. and tear aparts the fake ss on ebay to show you what clones are selling for.
Jordy Quote:
Originally Posted by meaniam
Wow, that's pretty deep. So you're saying that the people who don't know what they sell for are the same people who don't know what they sell for???
Personally, I think it's kind of a stretch.
i relize i might not have made sence. but here it goes ill see if i could do better.
those that dont know about the cars never owned one and never tried to own one or just dont even care. always say that is bullshit. and always recives sticker shock when they find out. barrett jackson is the most extream of the pricing. hemming i always thought was on the high side tell lately. and i see they are the example everyone uses. including insurance companies. ebay will get you what there worth. with a good discription. documentation help a ton. and agian the buyers will work you to death. but it is what it goes for.
i be willing to bet people would yell bullshit on this site. if i said i could get 15k for my ls6 454 motor only not a warrenty block. and i know it would be sold by monday with money order SENT OVER NIGHT IN MY HAND. now if i put that in a 70 chevelle 454 with documentation like this one http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chevelle-SS-454-LS6_W0QQitemZ4614679025QQcategoryZ6164QQrdZ1QQcmdZ ViewItem id proably get 45k if i restored it placed all the right paint lines on it id have one of the hottest selling cars not just chevelles on barrett jacksons lot.
why dont i do this first i dont have 60k just sitting around. 2nd they will only become more desirable. and 3rd i will wait tell i find the chevelle 454 ls6 car with the right production month. which will cost a load of cash. and take a long time tell i get it. imagine if i found the conv.

lucky
02-24-2006, 12:39 PM
I suggest you pu a classic car trader -- i got one yesteday and there is a shit load of el camino's and also chevelles -- somthing would fit ya !

meaniam
02-24-2006, 01:28 PM
forget about the l88 i dont think it was made in 1977 unless thru the parts counter i think l88 were in cars like the 68 vet and if you knew what the engine belonged to you could make some cash. by selling the block.
i dont know much about the vets. other then clippinger had a few l88 vets they raced. but i wasnt around back then.
and a 70 chevelle with no motor not worth anything close to 15k.
the car would have to be clean as hell. and running or something special to make it worth 15k

spectras only
02-24-2006, 01:42 PM
the car would have to be clean as hell. and running or something special to make it worth 15k
If I found a 1970 Chevelle without an engine , This would go in it right now instead of the spectra :rollside:
http://www3.telus.net/spectrasonly/IMG_1759.JPG]

lucky
02-24-2006, 01:54 PM
forget about the l88 i dont think it was made in 1977 unless thru the parts counter i think l88 were in cars like the 68 vet and if you knew what the engine belonged to you could make some cash. by selling the block.
i dont know much about the vets. other then clippinger had a few l88 vets they raced. but i wasnt around back then.
It was 1 of the last offered threw the parts counter -

RVRGIRL
02-24-2006, 02:51 PM
RIVERRATMIKE would be a good person to ask. He has a 68 El Camino.
You can email him at : Michael Minery [parkerriverrat@npgcable.com]

boatslayer
02-24-2006, 03:05 PM
hey Bruce ill check it out for ya and tell ya what its worth , :cool: