PDA

View Full Version : Question for Golf Pros

Racer277
08-22-2007, 09:51 AM
I need a new set of Irons.
I'm a hack, but I have to play 4-5 times per year, just enough to play lousy every time.
I'm looking at:
Taylor Made RAC Irons
Nike Pro Combo Forged or Slingshot Irons
Any pros/cons to these two sets of irons?
Thanks for suggestions, if you are not an expert, maybe you have more experience than I do.

SoCalHD
08-22-2007, 09:55 AM
I'm no expert either, but I think the taylor made RAC irons are more of a blade design, so they would be harder to hit consistently. I have heard mixed reviews on the Nike slingshot's as well. Try looking at www.golfclubdemo.com They let you pay a small fee to try out different irons.....I was thinking about trying some new Nikes myself, but have just decided to actually try "practicing" with the Lynx irons I have........lol

Racer277
08-22-2007, 10:02 AM
but have just decided to actually try "practicing" with the Lynx irons I have........lol
Practice? I didn't say I liked playing, but it is better than a day in the office.:D
Thanks for the info, consistency is what kills me.

SoCalHD
08-22-2007, 10:04 AM
I'll be driving past Bako on Friday.......need any help digging up sod samples??:D

JB in so cal
08-22-2007, 10:07 AM
PM ShockwaveBob. He might be able to find something for you.

HM
08-22-2007, 10:11 AM
I'm no expert either, but I think the taylor made RAC irons are more of a blade design, so they would be harder to hit consistently. I have heard mixed reviews on the Nike slingshot's as well. Try looking at www.golfclubdemo.com They let you pay a small fee to try out different irons.....I was thinking about trying some new Nikes myself, but have just decided to actually try "practicing" with the Lynx irons I have........lol
Go try some clubs like SoCalHD says.
Personally...I am a blade kinda guy. For me, the blades have a visual line-up with ball that looks more natural to me. I play Taylor Made LCG's (a few years old) and are just a step above blades. I was told I would hate them....everyone is different. I still haven't jumped on the super jumbo drivers yet. I hit a 7 degree Steel Head Big Bertha driver. Was considered an oversize driver about 8 years ago. Again, the visual line up is a key part of my game. I also got flexible shafts on all my clubs as I have a decent natural relaxed swing. When I try to swing hard....it is not good. So, by having clubs that make a hard swing even worse...it helps me to swing easy. And I punch my drives 300 yards+ a couple times in a game...and it is usually the most relaxed swings that get it there.

BarryMac
08-22-2007, 10:15 AM
Do you want to spend the money on brand new???

Stoneman
08-22-2007, 10:25 AM
I like Ping's. But you should try all the brands you can before you buy.
I'm a 16 handicapper.
PS I don't like Ping drivers.

Sleek-Jet
08-22-2007, 10:37 AM
I still haven't jumped on the super jumbo drivers yet. I hit a 7 degree Steel Head Big Bertha driver. Was considered an oversize driver about 8 years ago. Again, the visual line up is a key part of my game. I also got flexible shafts on all my clubs as I have a decent natural relaxed swing. When I try to swing hard....it is not good. So, by having clubs that make a hard swing even worse...it helps me to swing easy. And I punch my drives 300 yards+ a couple times in a game...and it is usually the most relaxed swings that get it there.
Me neither... in fact several years ago I dropped some coin on a brand new persimmon wood driver... I hit it as well or even better then the oversized metal driver I have in the bag. It feels like I have more control over my swing with the smaller driver.
Plus it's pretty...

AirtimeLavey
08-22-2007, 10:37 AM
Golfsmith (& Golfsmith.com) is having a sale right now. Some great deals, plus they have a 90 day play quarantee on certain deals.

Havasu1986
08-22-2007, 10:42 AM
I need a new set of Irons.
I'm a hack, but I have to play 4-5 times per year, just enough to play lousy every time.
I'm looking at:
Taylor Made RAC Irons
Nike Pro Combo Forged or Slingshot Irons
Any pros/cons to these two sets of irons?
Thanks for suggestions, if you are not an expert, maybe you have more experience than I do.
I am a 16 handicap and play about 3-4 times a month. When I was being fitted for my Taylor Mades they told me for my handicap to stay with the cavity back irons and nothing less then a 10.5 on the driver. My clubs cost about 3k. Since you are only playing 4-5 times a year I would get fitted and stay with clubs that are priced for the amount of rounds you play.

shippingguy
08-22-2007, 10:49 AM
My advice is to go to Roger Dunn Golf Shops and get fitted. You can try all the different make of clubs. Remember that making sure the club is properly fitted to you makes a big difference in how you will hit the ball as well. Blades are not forgiving clubheads. You may want to try the Callaway Big Bertha Irons. They are very forgiving for shots that are mishit. Plus with Roger Dunn you can try out your new set for 90 days and if you do not like them you can return them for another set. Just my .02 On a side note there are some good knock offs out there for very cheap for complete sets. You may want to look at those as well just to start out. Again make sure they are fitted to your body properly.
Mike

TCHB
08-22-2007, 10:52 AM
It sounds like the new Adams Hybrid set would work great for you. Gof Digest rated them the number one club this year for someone around your game. I played with them three times the past two weeks and I could not believe how big the sweet spot was on the club. Take a look on line and read the golf digest review on the irons.
On the driver side I would stay above the 10 deg face.

UltraStealth
08-22-2007, 10:54 AM
Go get fitted. That is the best thing you can do. Don't blow a ton of money on clubs to play 4 times a year. You can get a nice set at a gold shop for around $400 (depending on the shaft you go with. I just got the new Taylor Made RAC irons and went from a 9 to a 7 handicap. The putter may have helped as well.

AirtimeLavey
08-22-2007, 11:16 AM
Callaway X18s on sale for $499.00 right now. Hard to beat that for good clubs. Some good wedges on sale, too. Golfsmith.com also has reviews.

Havasu1986
08-22-2007, 11:36 AM
Whens the Hot Boat golf tourney. :)

fatboy95
08-22-2007, 11:44 AM
Whens the Hot Boat golf tourney. :)
cool idea, maybe make it a fund raiser to help out fellow boaters.

Havasu1986
08-22-2007, 11:44 AM
Let's set something up in October maybe. When it cools off a little. I'm nursing a bad left wheel right now, haven't played since early last week. I'm jonesing to get out.
I'm in. Boatbling is supposed to have their 2nd Annual tourney in Dec in Havasu. And Charlie is having a Stage Tech tourney in Sept. at Black Gold. :)

PBOCOP
08-22-2007, 11:45 AM
I did a complete test and fit for my clubs. Gave every set of irons a shot, all the hybrids, and the drivers.
I ended up with the new Cobra S9's for my irons, and the Cobra Offset Driver. Decently priced, good clubs, perfect match.

shippingguy
08-22-2007, 11:48 AM
I am in for the Hot Boat Tourney and I will definitely be playing in the Boat Bling Tourney again this year. Hopefully the wind will not be so bad this year.:eek:
Mike

Ziggy
08-22-2007, 11:51 AM
Damn, stabbed out to the right again :D:D

River Lynchmob
08-22-2007, 11:52 AM
I would definitely be in for a Hot Boat tourney as long as there is beer and or goose and soda flowing so I will be able to stand the stink of my golf game :D

yzfrider
08-22-2007, 12:10 PM
499 for a set of X18's thats a steel, those irons cost me about 700 8 months ago. Not much different than the X20. Might want to take a look at those.

Sleeper CP
08-22-2007, 12:17 PM
I'll admit that I didn't read every post, but did anyone mention returned or traded in clubs at a GolfMart or Golf Etc. Good deal's for far less than full price for someone that only plays a few times a year. I have 1 friend that got a great price on a set of Pings from a Pawn shop. I always ask him how he is hitting his stolen clubs.
Sleeper CP
565" Ford Lover

shippingguy
08-22-2007, 12:23 PM
I'll admit that I didn't read every post, but did anyone mention returned or traded in clubs at a GolfMart or Golf Etc. Good deal's for far less than full price for someone that only plays a few times a year. I have 1 friend that got a great price on a set of Pings from a Pawn shop. I always ask him how he is hitting his stolen clubs.
Sleeper CP
565" Ford Lover
Problem with that is you want to make sure they are fitted propery to your body. If the club is not fitted right no matter how good a swing you have you will not hit the ball properly and to your full potential. The flight of the ball off the clubface will not be correct with clubs not fitted properly.
Mike

Classic Daycruiser
08-22-2007, 12:30 PM
I bought a set of used Callaway's 2004 Big Bertha's, used 2 times in 2004. I golf 2-6 times a year.
My biggest suggestion is to:
1) never play 18 without a cart.
2) take a few advil's before getting in your car, and a couple just before you tee off.
3) sun screen
4)Tip the Beer girl good, and tell her to come back more often
5)hat & Sun glasses

Ziggy
08-22-2007, 12:38 PM
I bought a set of used Callaway's 2004 Big Bertha's, used 2 times in 2004. I golf 2-6 times a year.
My biggest suggestion is to:
1) never play 18 without a cart.
2) take a few advil's before getting in your car, and a couple just before you tee off.
3) sun screen
4)Tip the Beer girl good, and tell her to come back more often
5)hat & Sun glasses
Indeed, apparently I tipped her well enough for a free crotch view in her little miniskirt. She noticed my inadvertant gaze and she simply smiled back at me like no big deal. That newer course up in Valley Center, WoodsValley I think its called.

Racer277
08-22-2007, 04:59 PM
Do you want to spend the money on brand new???
Actually, I was looking at used also.
I could try all the different irons, I'm not consistent enough to notice the difference.
I will look into getting fitted, but I like the used idea better.
Thanks for the suggestions.

Sleeper CP
08-22-2007, 08:07 PM
A golf store like Golf Etc or Golfmart have a ton of used clubs you can try them out and they will do a loft and lie(sp) adjustment for you at purchase.
Sleeper CP