PDA

View Full Version : Insurance and Header question

TahitiTiger
08-22-2007, 01:03 PM
I have a set of Rewarder through transom headers I want to install this winter. Think insurance will care? I know they get pretty bent on OT hearders.

GAWnCA
08-22-2007, 01:31 PM
I have a set of Rewarder through transom headers I want to install this winter. Think insurance will care? I know they get pretty bent on OT hearders.
My insurance company didn't even ask about exhaust, just engine size and HP.

W.O.T
08-22-2007, 02:47 PM
my jet boat is insured by progressive. they didnt ask about exhaust either just speed/hp. i had to adjust that number slightly :)

GAWnCA
08-22-2007, 03:27 PM
my jet boat is insured by progressive. they didnt ask about exhaust either just speed/hp. i had to adjust that number slightly :)
WOT that's who I am with. Wasn't any hassle either. I told them it was a 460 Ford and had 250 HP. Worked for me. :D

gqchris
08-22-2007, 08:31 PM
Guys, I hate to break this to you, but just cause they dont ask doesnt mean it wont come out down the road! I had Progressive, sure, they didnt ask me either. But Im not risking, if the sh!t hits the fan, that I am not going to be covered once the insurance adjuster looks at the facts. Call Progressive, let them know what you have. Expect the cancellation notice in the mail that day. Why pay for insurance thats worthless? Get with Wozencraft here on the boards, he will write you a policy for your headers and HP.:)
Chris

GAWnCA
08-22-2007, 08:50 PM
Guys, I hate to break this to you, but just cause they dont ask doesnt mean it wont come out down the road! I had Progressive, sure, they didnt ask me either. But Im not risking, if the sh!t hits the fan, that I am not going to be covered once the insurance adjuster looks at the facts. Call Progressive, let them know what you have. Expect the cancellation notice in the mail that day. Why pay for insurance thats worthless? Get with Wozencraft here on the boards, he will write you a policy for your headers and HP.:)
Chris
Well, I'm not saying they are the best and I'm not hocking their services or anyone else's either. I got a good deal and it may be because of my association with the CG Aux. That's ok with me. Besides that, I haven't had an insurance claim in over 11 years.

suckin&pumpin
08-22-2007, 09:15 PM
Chris
wozencraft could not help me, and I believe progressive specifically excludes ot exhaust so your policies are probaly no good, 2 years and I cant find anyone to insure me

GAWnCA
08-22-2007, 09:34 PM
wozencraft could not help me, and I believe progressive specifically excludes ot exhaust so your policies are probaly no good, 2 years and I cant find anyone to insure me
Hmmm, I had no problem and told them everything they wanted to know. Progressive that is. They asked and I answered. :confused:

gqchris
08-22-2007, 09:39 PM
Hmmm, I had no problem and told them everything they wanted to know. Progressive that is. They asked and I answered. :confused:
Did they ask about your exhaut and what type it is? Suckin&Pumpin is right, the policy is no good with OT headers, if they asked or not doesnt matter.

GUGS102
08-23-2007, 08:06 AM
I have progressive and they asked about the headers and I had to provide a picture. I have TT rewarders and they said as long as it is not OT I'm okay.
Gugs

thatguy
08-23-2007, 08:26 AM
Progressive WILL NOT honor your claim if boat has OT exhaust. They will not ask you in all cases upon initial coverage, but the above posts are correct. You are paying for coverage that will not be honored. I have had progressive on many different items and currently have my RV covered with them. I am happy with them in all cases. My vehicles are all with USAA, but they don't like to do other items, progressive is always my second choice.
If you call them and ask them specifically, you will find that OT is not covered and you are wasting your money.
Thru-transome does not differentiate between headers or logs, just "thru-transome." So your TT headers SHOULD be acceptable.
Tommy

GAWnCA
08-23-2007, 08:31 AM
I have progressive and they asked about the headers and I had to provide a picture. I have TT rewarders and they said as long as it is not OT I'm okay.
Gugs
Well, to clear the air with Progressive, I'm not sure what kind of insurance everyone is looking for but they will write PL/PD also personal injury insurance with OT exhaust. I just talked to my agent.

thatguy
08-23-2007, 09:00 AM
Well, to clear the air with Progressive, I'm not sure what kind of insurance everyone is looking for but they will write PL/PD also personal injury insurance with OT exhaust. I just talked to my agent.
That is good news! I will call mine today, or maybe the next day I take it out.
It has been about 4-5 months since I last spoke to them about it.
At least now we can drop the boat coverage off and save a dime on uncovered insurance. Tommy

GAWnCA
08-23-2007, 11:22 AM
That is good news! I will call mine today, or maybe the next day I take it out.
It has been about 4-5 months since I last spoke to them about it.
At least now we can drop the boat coverage off and save a dime on uncovered insurance. Tommy
Tommy, It looks like you have the same Miller I have only a different color. I didn't cover the boat, and didn't plan to since it's age is against it any way. For my PL/PD/PI I pay $108.00 a year. My coverage is as follows:
Liability To Others:
Bodily injury and property damage liability, includes fuel spill liability $100K for $37 yr
Uninsured Boater $100K for $52 yr
Medical payments $5K each person $19 yr
Total: $108.00 yr
Greg

thatguy
08-23-2007, 12:45 PM
Tommy, It looks like you have the same Miller I have only a different color. I didn't cover the boat, and didn't plan to since it's age is against it any way. For my PL/PD/PI I pay $108.00 a year. My coverage is as follows:
Liability To Others:
Bodily injury and property damage liability, includes fuel spill liability $100K for $37 yr
Greg
That is perfect. The home owners covers theft to 2 or 3 grand, can't remember. If you sink it or crash it, well, too bad for the hot rod.
My wife thought we would cover everything like a car, she never had one before and can't believe the boat will be lost if something bad happens.
I told her, PAY ATTENTION when you are driving it!
Thanks for the info. Will be calling when I get back home.
Tommy

suckin&pumpin
08-23-2007, 12:59 PM
Liability To Others:
Greg
email me that name and number will you please.

GAWnCA
08-23-2007, 01:07 PM
email me that name and number will you please.
:) I already did.
If anyone else is interested, let me know. Nope, I'm not an agent nor am I affiliated with Progressive. I just got a good deal, I think and will share the information with who ever needs it.

GAWnCA
08-23-2007, 01:09 PM
That is perfect. The home owners covers theft to 2 or 3 grand, can't remember. If you sink it or crash it, well, too bad for the hot rod.
My wife thought we would cover everything like a car, she never had one before and can't believe the boat will be lost if something bad happens.
I told her, PAY ATTENTION when you are driving it!
Thanks for the info. Will be calling when I get back home.
Tommy
Tell her to consider the boat loss as the deductible. :D

TahitiTiger
08-23-2007, 02:04 PM
I called Progressive, and got my quote. Then for kicks I asked them what if I had OT headers. Her reponse "sorry we can not insure you." But you are correct TT headers, or logs they don't care LOL.
I am checking with Foremost as well. :D (my home is inssured with them, maybe multi line discount :D)

GAWnCA
08-23-2007, 02:24 PM
I called Progressive, and got my quote. Then for kicks I asked them what if I had OT headers. Her reponse "sorry we can not insure you." But you are correct TT headers, or logs they don't care LOL.
I am checking with Foremost as well. :D (my home is inssured with them, maybe multi line discount :D)
I'm not sure what kind of coverage you want but for what I described above, they will cover the boat, I know, I've got it, and it's paid for for a year. Bret knows exactly what I have, OT headers and all. Call and ask for him at 1-800-937-8895. See what he tells you.

suckin&pumpin
08-23-2007, 03:02 PM
wozencraft where youat??? love to hear you chime in on this.

Wozencraft
08-23-2007, 04:08 PM
wozencraft where you at??? love to hear you chime in on this.
Sorry for the delay...I have been on the phone non-stop today. In the process of writing 3 new Ilmor powered boats for clients.
Okay, taking a snap shot today of programs I have available to write insurance on boats under 26' w/ O/T exhaust & exposed engines; here is the short list:
Company A: No cats/tunnels - not older than 19yrs - marine survey needed on boats 8-19 yrs old
Company B: 70 mph top speed - case-by-case acceptance, depends on which underwriter I'm talking to, the day they are having, the alignment of the moon with the stars, etc. - supporting insurance business helps
As for Progressive, they WILL NOT accept ANY boats with exposed engines or O/T exhaust! I just had the marine product manager for the whole country from Progressive in my office last week. I specifically touched base on this topic with him. After a thorough discussion, and a passing on ALL the feedback I have received from members on this board, his answer was, "No""Not Interested." If you have an agent who is offering to write your O/T exhaust and/or exposed engine boat with Progressive, make sure to ask them if they carry an active Error & Omissions insurance policy.
I hope this helps - a bit. Not so good news for a good many of boaters with well taken care of boats which should be worthy of obtaining insurance. I continue to work with my contacts at insurance carriers to find coverage for these boats.
Devin Wozencraft

thatguy
08-23-2007, 06:15 PM
Sorry for the delay...I have been on the phone non-stop today. In the process of writing 3 new Ilmor powered boats for clients.
Okay, taking a snap shot today of programs I have available to write insurance on boats under 26' w/ O/T exhaust & exposed engines; here is the short list:
Company A: No cats/tunnels - not older than 19yrs - marine survey needed on boats 8-19 yrs old
Company B: 70 mph top speed - case-by-case acceptance, depends on which underwriter I'm talking to, the day they are having, the alignment of the moon with the stars, etc. - supporting insurance business helps
As for Progressive, they WILL NOT accept ANY boats with exposed engines or O/T exhaust! I just had the marine product manager for the whole country from Progressive in my office last week. I specifically touched base on this topic with him. After a thorough discussion, and a passing on ALL the feedback I have received from members on this board, his answer was, "No""Not Interested." If you have an agent who is offering to write your O/T exhaust and/or exposed engine boat with Progressive, make sure to ask them if they carry an active Error & Omissions insurance policy.
I hope this helps - a bit. Not so good news for a good many of boaters with well taken care of boats which should be worthy of obtaining insurance. I continue to work with my contacts at insurance carriers to find coverage for these boats.
Devin Wozencraft
Back to square one? :(
Tommy

gqchris
08-23-2007, 08:13 PM
I would ask your agent if he spent the comission off your policy yet:D

gqchris
08-23-2007, 08:15 PM
Devin Wozencraft
This pretty much sums up the whole thread and answers everyones questions. Thanks Devin!

suckin&pumpin
08-24-2007, 03:39 PM
sorry for the delay I was out of town, Greg I would seriously consider what wozencraft said he is our resident expert since thois is what he does for a living, You may have a new agent or an un-informed one because progressive told me no way...again.
Devin, I accidentally erased your voice message while driving and dont have your number but call me again.