PDA

View Full Version : ? to those who have triple axle trailers

boat boy
08-22-2007, 02:32 PM
Thinking of buying a new trailer. No question about whom IÂ’m going to use, but double or triple axle. Boats a 27Â’ Victory currently seating on a piece of s@#t Z#@$&n trailer. Question about number of axles is because I have to back down about a 100 yards in order to put boat away. During this process I have to make 2 - 90 degree left hand turns. Turns donÂ’t require hard 90Â’s but never the less still have to make them.
My understanding is with the triple axle one works against another and could make this difficult. No experience with triples just wondering what others have experienced trying to make similar turns with triples and is it that much more difficult.

Mattman
08-22-2007, 02:38 PM
had a 27' and 30' Victory on triple axles and no problems with backing, turning etc.

Mardonzi
08-22-2007, 02:39 PM
Not all of us can be ballers like you though TnB... :D
I've got a 2 axle Myco for my 35 Fountain.. seems to work well for me.

shippingguy
08-22-2007, 02:39 PM
I have a triple and make a 90 to back straight into my garage at the river no problems. Did it with a tandem too. I did not notice any difficulty.
By the way Zieman bought our Extreme Trailers.
Mike

phebus
08-22-2007, 02:42 PM
Triple axle trailers "scrub" a lot in tight turns. I'd look at a nice tandem.

Rexone
08-22-2007, 02:52 PM
I've had a couple triples, never had any issues.

BadKachina
08-22-2007, 02:56 PM
Triples are nice, you won't have any issues moving around. They do seem to were tires faster though. The rear axle tends to slide in tight turns and seems to wear out the tires faster. My rear tires had to be replaced every season until I stopped turning around in my cu-de-sac. Now I just back around the corner and I'm not having those wear issues anymore.

burbanite
08-22-2007, 02:57 PM
Maybe, but I have never noticed it being any more difficult to maneuver my triple over my dual axle. I can turn my triple around 180 degrees in a 30' wide driveway using a Trailblazer.

River Lynchmob
08-22-2007, 02:57 PM
I've driven and backed up 21's and 27's on both duals and triples. Triples look better and tow much better. A dual is a lot easier in my opinion to make tight corners with while backing up. Me personally, I would deal with the little extra headache of a triple for the looks. My 21has a brand dual under it but that's how I bought it so no choice there but if I was building it would be a triple all the way.

Baja Big Dog
08-22-2007, 03:02 PM
Ditto the tandem...the scrubbing will vary on the weight on the trailer, but the the tandem will park easier.

phebus
08-22-2007, 03:03 PM
If you go with a triple, I guarnteee the driveway will be black in the area you do the tight turns because you end up pushing the tires around. Triples are great overall for towing, but tight turns while backing are tough on the tires.

Havasu Hangin'
08-22-2007, 03:04 PM
I'd say it depends on how much your boat weighs, and what kind of tires you want to run.
If your boat (and trailer) weigh 8,000lbs, your gonna need two 5K axles, and beefy tires to boot. Those low-profile car tires will not do well with a heavy load.
I have triples, and they do scrub in tight turns, but the tires expire before they wear out.
Get the best of both worlds- dually doubles!

Rexone
08-22-2007, 03:07 PM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/732trailer.jpg

Sotally Tober
08-22-2007, 03:14 PM
Triples are great except the damn scrubbing. The left rear goes bald when the center is still at 75%. I rotate so they all wear out at the same time. I do wear mine out before they expire. Seem to be bald every other year. I pull a lot of miles though.

MRS FLYIN VEE
08-22-2007, 05:31 PM
Thinking of buying a new trailer. No question about whom IÂ’m going to use, but double or triple axle. Boats a 27Â’ Victory currently seating on a piece of s@#t Z#@$&n trailer. Question about number of axles is because I have to back down about a 100 yards in order to put boat away. During this process I have to make 2 - 90 degree left hand turns. Turns donÂ’t require hard 90Â’s but never the less still have to make them.
My understanding is with the triple axle one works against another and could make this difficult. No experience with triples just wondering what others have experienced trying to make similar turns with triples and is it that much more difficult.
IMO because I do the backing of the boat..
We store our boat in Cambells and I have to back it down a 50' hill and turn it ,,while backing it up. then back it up about 100'.straight then cut it just right to get in the storage door... I have no problems with the trailer.. It is the damn turn radious on the truck. :) but it is usually doen in one shot..
I have also had to back our trailer from RD's house in the keys to the turn .. never had a problem.. :)
But I would not give up the 3 axles..

AZJD
08-22-2007, 05:39 PM
Screw the backing up! If you have a lead foot and tow fast, as I do! You are going to want a triple axle. Doubles don't turn any easier than triples. Unless your doing it by hand......:D

Patyacht
08-22-2007, 06:00 PM
If you do a lot of long distance trailering get the triple and deal with the scrubbing. Otherwise get the tandem.

GoCiggie31
08-22-2007, 07:58 PM
[QUOTE=Havasu Hangin';2748478]I'd say it depends on how much your boat weighs, and what kind of tires you want to run.
QUOTE]
I got trips and I really like the way the trailer tracks on highways. I back mine up a hill tucking it away and not a problem.
IMO, the only negetives:
-sharp turns tend to scrub the tires-my rear tires take a beating.
-toll booths tend to charge by-the-axle
-tire replacement a bit more costly
-extra bearings to service
would I choose trips again?...yep!:D:D :D

MudPumper
08-22-2007, 08:29 PM
I would get a front Hitch mounted. It will make life easier.

AZJD
08-22-2007, 08:34 PM
I'd say it depends on how much your boat weighs, and what kind of tires you want to run.
If your boat (and trailer) weigh 8,000lbs, your gonna need two 5K axles, and beefy tires to boot. Those low-profile car tires will not do well with a heavy load.
I have triples, and they do scrub in tight turns, but the tires expire before they wear out.
Get the best of both worlds- dually doubles!
Should we just go ahead and order a Skater with that trailer too?:D

BajaMike
08-22-2007, 08:39 PM
It depends..............................:D

25Elmn8r
08-22-2007, 08:47 PM
IMO, if the boat stays in Havasu go with dual, if you do alot of towing the triples seem to tow nicer. I have had to replace the tires on my triple every other year and we pretty much go from storage to the house to the ramp and back.

HemiDude
08-22-2007, 09:06 PM
Triples are the way to go. Your gonna tow a lot more miles forward than you are backing up, so dont worry about the scrubbing...even twin axels scrub to some degree. For safety's sake you should replace trailer tires well before they wear out anyway. I have a 26' footer an a triple and it's the only way to go...backing up going, forward or pushing sideways :sqeyes:
just my two coppers...

boat boy
08-22-2007, 09:15 PM
Yes we tow a lot. Not just havasu, down to Newport, up to Mead and various other places. As I mentioned I have to back down about 100 yrds to get the trailer under the awning, and drop in elevation about 50 to 75 feet. The reason for the triple is strictly the distance I tow sometimes. I'm tired to the problems I've had from the current trailer.
First axle was my fault, but the trailer falling apart was a mfg. along with the second axle/bearing failure that left me on the side of the road all night. Numerous tire failures, all the same tire the mfg used. Just tired of the issues.
Like the idea of using a front hitch to pull it around the property.
As you guys probably guessed, I'm going with Extreme on a triple the next question IÂ’ll have for them is tire selection, but that can come later.
Thanks for the impute.

a catered life
08-22-2007, 10:30 PM
If you go with a triple, I guarnteee the driveway will be black in the area you do the tight turns because you end up pushing the tires around. Triples are great overall for towing, but tight turns while backing are tough on the tires.
i agree we have 3's and see the marks sometimes but have not had any issues with tires

Big Inch
08-22-2007, 11:26 PM
I have had triples on my last two trailers both with low profile 50 series tires so they scrub like crazy on sharp turns especially backing up but it doesn't really make it harder to back up. At least I don't think so. Sometimes looks a little scary because with the low profile tires it looks like they might pop off the bead some times but in over 10 years of towing triples I have never had this happen. I rotate them once a year and it evens out the wear and my tires start to crack before they wear out the tread. They do wear more though then a double I'd say but with proper rotation they still get enough mileage. Only problem I've had is when someone parks the trailer after dropping the boat in the water and leaves the trailer cranked in a turn the tire has gone flat. A can of fix a flat though and your off. Also if you get a flat with a triple you don't need a spare and if it ever comes off the hitch the front will stay suspended in the air. Not sure if it does that with a double axle or not. Plus triples look cool :D

Havasu Hangin'
08-23-2007, 03:46 AM
Should we just go ahead and order a Skater with that trailer too?:D
I like the way you think. :idea:
If your gonna go big on the trailer...might as well get a boat to match!
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/KROOZIN_trailer.jpg
:D

LHC30Victory
08-23-2007, 04:52 AM
You already have a lot of advice and personal experience comments but I'll add mine anyway. Doubles are SLIGHTLY easier to back up in HARD turns and making hard U-turns. But since you will be driving forward most of the time, the triples will track better and give you more security from tire failures on the road.
What has NOT been talked about (that I read) is the type of brakes!!! Make sure you get disks on two of the three axles if not all three and for goodness sakes, GET ELECTRIC OVER HYDRAULIC :sqeyes: You wont be dragging brakes going downhill and they are more controllable....