PDA

View Full Version : Leakdown tester

Taylorman
02-22-2006, 07:20 PM
Can someone recommed an inexpensive leakdown tester that is pretty good quality. I looked at some on ebay but im unsure of what kind to get.

Taylorman
02-22-2006, 07:22 PM
OOps

shadow
02-22-2006, 07:26 PM
Can someone recommed an inexpensive leakdown tester that is pretty good quality. I looked at some on ebay but im unsure of what kind to get.
I've got a Mac leakdown tester that is just the same as a less expensive one.
I'd say they are all pretty much the same.
More often than not at work i just add air to the cylinder in question and listen to the intake/exhaust/oil fill to find the problem and go from there.

FASTRAT
02-22-2006, 07:43 PM
all the one's on EBay are good...u really dont need a fancy one...check Auto Zone, Checker, Napa, CarQuest...i think they all carry them...as Shadow says...u can do it the old fashion way, like we did back in the 60's...it works
fastrat

FASTRAT
02-22-2006, 07:48 PM
More often than not i just add air to the cylinder in question and listen to the intake/exhaust/oil fill to find the problem and go from there.
i did it that way on my drag engines back in the 60's & 70's...worked fine...never had a prob...always pretty much "rite on"...method still works today
fastrat

shadow
02-22-2006, 07:53 PM
i did it that way on my drag engines back in the 60's & 70's...worked fine...never had a prob...always pretty much "rite on"...method still works today
fastrat
I use that method on a regular basis .Quick and effective.

Taylorman
02-22-2006, 08:08 PM
So you just put the piston at tdc on the compression stroke and put air to the cylinder?

shadow
02-22-2006, 08:24 PM
So you just put the piston at tdc on the compression stroke and put air to the cylinder?
Yes.Depending on your concern.Say rough rough running due to lower compression in one particular cylinder/Suspect intake or exhaust valve hanging up,seating etc,or suspect rings.Put that cyl @ tdc compression or bring it to the top of the stroke and remove or loosen the rockers put air in the plug hole via compression tester hose then listen if you have air rushing out the exhaust you have ex valve concern,out the carb or throttle body you have an intake valve concern and air comming out of the valve cover breather,oil fill = piston/ring concern.

HotDogz
02-23-2006, 12:20 PM
jegs and summit both offer good quality, inexpensive leakdown testers around 60-70 bones

IMPATIENT 1
02-23-2006, 01:03 PM
Yes.Depending on your concern.Say rough rough running due to lower compression in one particular cylinder/Suspect intake or exhaust valve hanging up,seating etc,or suspect rings.Put that cyl @ tdc compression or bring it to the top of the stroke and remove or loosen the rockers put air in the plug hole via compression tester hose then listen if you have air rushing out the exhaust you have ex valve concern,out the carb or throttle body you have an intake valve concern and air comming out of the valve cover breather,oil fill = piston/ring concern.
I LIKE TO CHECK EM WITH THE PISTONS DOWN TOO, MIGHT HAVE A CRACKED CYLINDER WALL THAT'LL SHOW UP THAT WAY.REMEMBER TO LISTEN TO A COOLANT OUTLET TOO, FOR HEAD CRACKS OR GASKET FAILURE. I USE MY COMPRESSION TESTER HOSE WHEN I'M AT HOME AND JUST BACK OFF THE ROCKERS AND CHARGE THE CYLINDER WITH @120PSI,NOT AS GOOD AS A LEAKDOWN TESTER BUT WORKS IN A PINCH.