PDA

View Full Version : GOT NEW MOTOR NEED NEW PROP

ZSARGO
03-16-2003, 10:01 AM
LAST YEAR I TRIED NUMEROUS DIFFERENT PROPS ON MY BOAT BEFORE I FINALLY FOUND THE RIGHT ONE. THEN I SOLD MY 2.5. GENIUS. SO HERE WE GO AGAIN. I AM HAVING A NEW 300X INSTALLED ON MY DCB MACH 22 ON TUESDAY. WHAT PROP TO USE? I AM THINKING A 28 PITCH BRAVO OR CHOPPER II. WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK? TOBY????

TOBTEK
03-16-2003, 11:23 AM
I just orderd a Lab finished 26 Bravo one with holes. ONLY because I wanted something very WELL-ROUNDED. We are gonna ski,tube, and wake board behind the family cruiser. The FUNNEST prop I tried with a 30 ET AS LONG AS YOUR BY YOURSELF ONLY! it has ZERO ability to get on plane! BUT a blast once you do. Tried a few 28 four blades...they sucked on the bottom were slugish in the mid and didnt have the top end the ET had. If you can wait a bit, do. The new MAXIMAUS is just around the conner. I got the 26 bravo for 95% of the time and im gonna get something like a 30 or 32 maximas or ET for speed runs. The 30ET was hittin almost 90MPH at 6800 RPMs with 5 hours on the motor @ Elisnore...so with more time and better water, I've been told 93-94 isnt out of the question...

ZSARGO
03-16-2003, 12:45 PM
I USED A 26 ET ON THE 2.5. A CHOPPER WILL WORK MUCH BETTER. TAKE MY WORD FOR IT. YOU'LL GET MORE ON THE TOP END.

HavasuBarney
03-16-2003, 05:45 PM
With the single 300X, I still think you can't beat the Bravo1. I have a 26 and a matching 28 for the bigger end. On my boat, 26 is a better all around prop.
TOBTEK, a 30 pitch running 90 @ 6800 seems kinda pointless to me, that about 25% slip. I don't think there is much of a chance your gonna turn a 30 or 32 pitch prop. If your not putting your 26 on the limiter, there's no sense going bigger...
My boat is about the same size as your, you might out weigh me a little but you should be getting better than 90 with your 26 Bravo1.
What kind of RPM's are you turning?

HavasuBarney
03-16-2003, 05:49 PM
I'll see if I can grab Secrets ChopperII and test it this week. Should not be too tough since his motor's hangin in my shop! :D

ZSARGO
03-16-2003, 05:54 PM
THANKS BARNEY,
I WILL GIVE YOU A CALL WHEN I'M OUT THIS WEEK. MAYBE I CAN TRY OUT YOUR PROP IN A FEW WEEKS. BY THE WAY. I SPOKE WITH LOU AND RICH THIS WEEK. THEY TALKED ME OUT OF THE JACKPLATE. THEY SAID ONCE WE FIND THE SWEET SPOT ON THE DANA BRACKET, THERE WILL BE NO NEED TO MOVE IT. ARE YOU A MARINE SHOP OUT IN HAVASU?

HavasuBarney
03-16-2003, 08:56 PM
Not a Marine shop, I do fiberglass and gel coat repair.
I have also been running outboards forever, never had a boat with a car motor.
So Lou and Richie talked you out of a jackplate?
I hope you did not metion my name, they will oppose anything I suggest. :D There really good guys though, Lou has been building fast outboards forever, he knows them as good as anyone on Earth.
But having A sweetspot, that's a bunch of bull. Everytime you run your boat, the load and it's distribution will change, that changes the sweetspot. Lou was an old ski racer, they set the boat up the same everytime. Richie does not run a high performance outboard tunnel.
Myself, sometimes I run alone, other times with 4 or 5 passengers, big ice chect. If you want to run at your optimum at 100%, a jackplate is NEEDED.
If you want to have a good set-up, capable of running in all kinds of conditions, with all kinds of loads and run in your upper range at say 90%, then you don't need one.
I have run both ways and perfer a jackplate.

TOBTEK
03-19-2003, 09:08 AM
HavasuBarney:
With the single 300X, I still think you can't beat the Bravo1. I have a 26 and a matching 28 for the bigger end. On my boat, 26 is a better all around prop.
TOBTEK, a 30 pitch running 90 @ 6800 seems kinda pointless to me, that about 25% slip. I don't think there is much of a chance your gonna turn a 30 or 32 pitch prop. If your not putting your 26 on the limiter, there's no sense going bigger...
My boat is about the same size as your, you might out weigh me a little but you should be getting better than 90 with your 26 Bravo1.
What kind of RPM's are you turning? dropped the boat in the beautiful green waters of Elisnore yesterday(tues) and with a brandnew 26 labbed 26 bravo. I was getting all of 7000 rpm's and 87MPH. It wants to go faster, but this prop wont let it. You said your 26 is modified, what has been done?

Boatmaster
03-19-2003, 09:21 AM
I just sold a customer of mine a mach 22 with a 300X and put a labbed 28 bravo on it. It has a great hole shot and I'm not sure on top end yet. I think this will be a great all around prop. Once again Barney is right! See you all at the BBSP!!

ZSARGO
03-19-2003, 11:07 AM
SOUNDS LIKE YOU ARE PRETTY CLOSE ON THE PROP PITCH. TRY THE 28 BRAVO. THAT SOUNDS LIKE IT MAY BE THE TICKET.

HavasuBarney
03-19-2003, 08:42 PM
My prop has been worked. I had the diameter cut, blades thinned and cupped, 2 inch holes drilled.
Mine is actually closer to a 27 then a 26 now. At 7000 rpms, I'm running between 95 and 99 depending on load.
Did you say you have a Bluewater trim gauge?
Do you know the angle of attack your running?
Gear set?
You may have too much positve trim running and your not getting enough bite and just spinning your prop. It's turning the rpms that way but your not getting effective use.
Typically DCB's do not run enough setback, those Dana Brackets are bitchen but may not provide enough lever for you to run efficient.
With the design of an air entrapment hull, you should be running your top speed with 0 trim, none. Prop shaft should be level with the surface of the water.
http://www.havasubarney.com/AdminSite/ImageUploads/med_Ra_9_28_2002_124209_PM.jpg
[ March 19, 2003, 08:43 PM: Message edited by: HavasuBarney ]

HavasuBarney
03-19-2003, 08:57 PM
This was one of my testing days last year.
26 Hydromotive
26 Trophy
26 Hoss
28 ChopperII
30 Cleaver
30 Yamaha Drag copy
http://www.havasubarney.com/AdminSite/ImageUploads/med_Ra_3_19_2003_83427_PM.jpg

TOBTEK
03-19-2003, 09:52 PM
HavasuBarney:
My prop has been worked. I had the diameter cut, blades thinned and cupped, 2 inch holes drilled.
Mine is actually closer to a 27 then a 26 now. At 7000 rpms, I'm running between 95 and 99 depending on load.
Did you say you have a Bluewater trim gauge?
Do you know the angle of attack your running?
Gear set?
You may have too much positve trim running and your not getting enough bite and just spinning your prop. It's turning the rpms that way but your not getting effective use.
Typically DCB's do not run enough setback, those Dana Brackets are bitchen but may not provide enough lever for you to run efficient.
With the design of an air entrapment hull, you should be running your top speed with 0 trim, none. Prop shaft should be level with the surface of the water.
http://www.havasubarney.com/AdminSite/ImageUploads/med_Ra_9_28_2002_124209_PM.jpg HMMMMMMMMMMM..interesting. Yes I do have a bluewater and its usully around 2.5 or 3 at speed. I'll try lowering it back down and check it out. Your Bravo looks WAY different than mine. Id love to try it out sometime. They just drilled 1" holes in it...."your holes are bigger than mine" hehehehe :D I cant remember the gear ratio's but I know I have the lower gearing 1:75??? I think instead of 1:62??? if memerory is close?? anyway thanks for all your input Barney....tobtek

HavasuBarney
03-20-2003, 11:31 AM
That makes a big difference, I'm running the 1.62 gear ratio. Maybe a 28 is the ticket for you.
I might even sell you my 28 if you like it. You are more than welcome to try both when your here.
If you were able to maintain the same slip factor moving froma 26 to a 28 pitch, at 7000 rpms you would be running 94+ :)
If your prop shaft is not level with the surface of the water, it increases the amount of drag on the gear case. With positive trim it will be slightly dragging the nose and with negative trim, it will be plowing.
http://www.havasubarney.com/AdminSite/ImageUploads/med_Ra_3_20_2003_110847_AM.jpg
[ March 20, 2003, 11:35 AM: Message edited by: HavasuBarney ]

ZSARGO
03-20-2003, 12:03 PM
HavasuBarney:
That makes a big difference, I'm running the 1.62 gear ratio. Maybe a 28 is the ticket for you.
I might even sell you my 28 if you like it. You are more than welcome to try both when your here.
If you were able to maintain the same slip factor moving froma 26 to a 28 pitch, at 7000 rpms you would be running 94+ :)
If your prop shaft is not level with the surface of the water, it increases the amount of drag on the gear case. With positive trim it will be slightly dragging the nose and with negative trim, it will be plowing.
http://www.havasubarney.com/AdminSite/ImageUploads/med_Ra_3_20_2003_110847_AM.jpg IF TOBY HAS THE SPORTMASTER, WHICH I'M SURE HE DOES, THEN HE IS ALSO RUNNING THE 1:62 GEAR RATIO. I WOULD LIKE TO TRY OUT YOUR PROPS NEXT WEEK IF YOU DON'T MIND. I WAS IN HAVASU ON TUESDAY AND TRIED TO CALL YOUR WORK AND CELL. YOU MUST OF BEEN OUT PLAYING. I TOOK THE COWLING TO CUSTOM AUTO TRIM. ANYWAYS I WILL CALL YOU NEXT WEEK AND TRY TO GET BY THE SHOP.

Boatmaster
03-20-2003, 01:49 PM
Toby's 300Xs has 1.75 gears thats the way Dave rigs them to help with hole shot and mid range.

ZSARGO
03-20-2003, 03:22 PM
DREW,
I'M SURE TOBY WISHES HE HAD 300(X'S). DOES THAT MEAN WITH MY 1.62 RATIO I WILL HAVE MORE TOP END?? ALL THINGS BEING EQUAL?
[ March 20, 2003, 04:21 PM: Message edited by: ZSARGO ]

HavasuBarney
03-20-2003, 06:27 PM
ZSARGO:
DREW,
I'M SURE TOBY WISHES HE HAD 300(X'S). DOES THAT MEAN WITH MY 1.62 RATIO I WILL HAVE MORE TOP END?? ALL THINGS BEING EQUAL? In theory, things would stay equal because he could turn a higher pitched prop.
I blew up a couple lower units on my 98 300, it still had the small prop shaft. Parts were on back order and so I bought a new sportmaster so I would not be without my boat for a couple months. Before I bought it, Lou let me test a 1.75 gear set sportmaster.
With my set-up, I could only turn the same props as with my 1.62. I found no advantage to the 1.75 gears with hole shot but I was slower.
When I say turn a prop, I mean running with no trim and putting the tach on the limiter. :)
Still, every boat is different and there's no question Dave has put together many more of these boats than I have, I would trust his judgement. Unless you got 1.62's wink

Boatmaster
03-21-2003, 07:47 AM
Zargo I would think you will be alittle faster on top end, do to the fact that a lower pitch prop normaly has a lower slip factor. My own feeling is the taller 1.62 gears are the better set up.

ZSARGO
03-21-2003, 08:06 AM
Boatmaster:
Zargo I would think you will be alittle faster on top end, do to the fact that a lower pitch prop normaly has a lower slip factor. My own feeling is the taller 1.62 gears are the better set up. OH OH. YOU KNOW WHAT'S GOING TO HAPPEN WHEN TOBY READS THIS. HEADS UP DAVE.

TOBTEK
03-21-2003, 08:19 AM
ZSARGO:
Boatmaster:
Zargo I would think you will be alittle faster on top end, do to the fact that a lower pitch prop normaly has a lower slip factor. My own feeling is the taller 1.62 gears are the better set up. OH OH. YOU KNOW WHAT'S GOING TO HAPPEN WHEN TOBY READS THIS. HEADS UP DAVE. its all good...with a 30ET its doing 90MPH thats plenty fast for me at this point. IM SURE DAVE has tried it each way (1:75 & 1:62) I hear he has made a few of these things now wink He asked me what I wanted and how we are going to use this boat. We have a skipole and plan to use it alot. Wifetec skis, I wakeboard, and I plan on doing some damage to KAB with the tube-o-death :D If It was ALL ABOUT top speed numbers I would have steped up on the light layup, woulda ditched the 1000 pounds of stereo equipment and put two 2.5's on the back...or better yet saved $20,000.00 and bought STAN's used MACH22 with almost no time on the 2.5's...what a deal that boat is! Has anybody bought it yet? Get rid of the blue carpet and its a killer ride for super cheap.
http://carismacars.com/inventory/98DCBboat/98DCBboat03.jpg

You Te
03-26-2003, 08:51 AM
You tell um Barney :) :) :) :)
You Te

ZSARGO
04-08-2003, 12:19 PM
TOOK OUT THE BOAT WITH THE NEW 300X YESTERDAY FOR THE FIRST TIME. IT WOULD HAVE HELPED IF THE THE WIND WAS NOT BLOWING 50 MPH. TOUGH TO KEEP THE RPMS BETWEEN 4000-5000 OVER 4 FOOT WAVES IN A 22 FOOT BOAT. SURFS UP! WHAT'S WITH THE NO STARTING THE BOAT IN REVERSE. OOPS. MAYBE I SHOULD READ THE OWNERS MANUAL FIRST. ANYWAYS, I GOT TO TRY THE BRAVO 1 AND BARNEY WAS RIGHT, MUCH BETTER OUT OF THE HOLE. CAN'T WAIT FOR THAT ALARM NOT TO SOUND AT 5000 RPM.
[ April 08, 2003, 01:20 PM: Message edited by: ZSARGO ]

HavasuDreamin'
04-08-2003, 12:42 PM
ZSARGO:
CAN'T WAIT FOR THAT ALARM NOT TO SOUND AT 5000 RPM. That would drive me nuts. How long does that last for?
PS.....congrats on the new motor. I bet it feels like a completely different boat. : :cool:
[ April 08, 2003, 01:43 PM: Message edited by: HavasuDreamin' ]

ZSARGO
04-08-2003, 01:40 PM
HavasuDreamin':
ZSARGO:
CAN'T WAIT FOR THAT ALARM NOT TO SOUND AT 5000 RPM. That would drive me nuts. How long does that last for?
PS.....congrats on the new motor. I bet it feels like a completely different boat. : :cool: I THINK THE FIRST HOUR. NO IDLING FOR MORE THAN 5 MINUTES.
THE PEDAL FEELS MUCH MUCH LIGHTER, BUT I CAN'T REALLY GET THE MOTOR UP IN THE HIGH RPMS YET. THE REV LIMITER ON THE MOTOR IS SET AT 7100. I WAS RUNNING ABOUT 72 MPH YESTERDAY WITH A 26 PITCH BRAVO 1 AT ABOUT 4900 RPM. SO WE'LL SEE.
[ April 08, 2003, 02:47 PM: Message edited by: ZSARGO ]

FASTERDAMITT
04-08-2003, 02:52 PM
Lester, I've been lookin for you!!! Last saturday, 5000rpm,3/4 throttle, not trimmed up yet,32 Bravo1, this thing fly's. Do the #'s. Had shel and kinds in back. Didn't want to go anyfaster and get slapped! Didn't see the speed I was to busy with fuel pressure, boost ect..
I think I have a bad power valve in the carb, it's running very rich when we got back to the channel. Gotta check it out.

ZSARGO
04-08-2003, 03:25 PM
I'M NOT A NUMBERS GUY :) . GREG TOLD ME IT WAS RUNNING PRETTY GOOD. GLAD TO HERE IT. I'M GOING BACK UP FRIDAY. HOW ABOUT YOU GUYS.

MOPAR2YA
04-08-2003, 04:02 PM
Les, Congrads! I bet that wind was a blast.
So far considering, is it what you expected?
Friday is on :D

TOBTEK
04-08-2003, 06:21 PM
congrats on your new motor less...yeh that alarm is real neat isnt it :rolleyes: everytime ya get close to going fast the frickin alarm goes off :mad: much better after 5 hours.....have fun!

ZSARGO
04-08-2003, 06:41 PM
TOBTEK:
congrats on your new motor less...yeh that alarm is real neat isnt it :rolleyes: everytime ya get close to going fast the frickin alarm goes off :mad: much better after 5 hours.....have fun! I HEAR YA. I REALLY DIDN'T GET TO RUN IT MUCH MAYBE 20 MINUTES MAX. I WANTED TO ASK YOU HOW HIGH YOUR MOTOR IS SET ON THE BRACKET. THE CONE ON THE LOWER WATER PICK UP SITS EVEN WITH THE CENTER SPONSON.
[ April 08, 2003, 07:44 PM: Message edited by: ZSARGO ]

ZSARGO
04-14-2003, 08:20 AM
OK. I GOT 8 HOURS ON THE MOTOR NOW. HITTING ABOUT 5200 RPM @ ABOUT 75-77 MPH. I'M RUNNING A 15 1/2 X 26 BRAVO ONE WITH THE RELIEF HOLES. HARD TO GET GOING OUT OF THE HOLE. MOTOR JUST DOESN'T WANT TO REV UP. I CAN FLOOR IT, BUT IT TAKES ABOUT 20-30 SECONDS TO GET GOING. IS THIS THE COMPUTER JUST LIMITING THE TORQUE AND RPM?? BYE THE WAY, THANKS FOR THE ADVICE ON SUNDAY BARNEY.

TOBTEK
04-14-2003, 10:43 AM
ZSARGO:
OK. I GOT 8 HOURS ON THE MOTOR NOW. HITTING ABOUT 5200 RPM @ ABOUT 75-77 MPH. I'M RUNNING A 15 1/2 X 26 BRAVO ONE WITH THE RELIEF HOLES. HARD TO GET GOING OUT OF THE HOLE. MOTOR JUST DOESN'T WANT TO REV UP. I CAN FLOOR IT, BUT IT TAKES ABOUT 20-30 SECONDS TO GET GOING. IS THIS THE COMPUTER JUST LIMITING THE TORQUE AND RPM?? BYE THE WAY, THANKS FOR THE ADVICE ON SUNDAY BARNEY. 5200 RPM whats up with that? That doesnt sound right. You have as much time on your as mine. As you probably know I'm also running a 26 bravo, although not sure on overall size 14.5-15"? im reving at 7000(seriously, DAVE at DCB was also surprised) at 87mph, with lots left over if I had a bigger prop installed. Why are you only turning 5200RPM?

ZSARGO
04-14-2003, 11:03 AM
TOBTEK:
ZSARGO:
OK. I GOT 8 HOURS ON THE MOTOR NOW. HITTING ABOUT 5200 RPM @ ABOUT 75-77 MPH. I'M RUNNING A 15 1/2 X 26 BRAVO ONE WITH THE RELIEF HOLES. HARD TO GET GOING OUT OF THE HOLE. MOTOR JUST DOESN'T WANT TO REV UP. I CAN FLOOR IT, BUT IT TAKES ABOUT 20-30 SECONDS TO GET GOING. IS THIS THE COMPUTER JUST LIMITING THE TORQUE AND RPM?? BYE THE WAY, THANKS FOR THE ADVICE ON SUNDAY BARNEY. 5200 RPM whats up with that? That doesnt sound right. You have as much time on your as mine. As you probably know I'm also running a 26 bravo, although not sure on overall size 14.5-15"? im reving at 7000(seriously, DAVE at DCB was also surprised) at 87mph, with lots left over if I had a bigger prop installed. Why are you only turning 5200RPM? BARNEY SAID THAT HIS MOTOR DID NOT BREAK LOSE TILL HE HAD 15 HRS ON IT?? PER RICH AT LAKELAND, FROM THEIR EXPERIENCE, MOST OF THE MOTORS TOOK ALSO ABOUT 15 HOURS TO BREAK LOOSE. HE SAID TO GIVE IT A LITTLE MORE TIME. ALSO FOR YOU PROP EXPERTS OUT THERE. IS THERE A BIG DIFFERENCE BETWENN A 15.5 DIAMETER AND A 14.5 DIAMETER. I'VE BEEN TOLD THAT ALL THE BRAVO 1'S COME FROM MERCURY IN A 15.25 DIAMETER.
[ April 14, 2003, 01:46 PM: Message edited by: ZSARGO ]

CATDADDY
05-06-2003, 08:59 PM
i have a 28 pitch lighting et 20hrs on it like new, will fit new 300x and others, great price

ZSARGO
05-07-2003, 07:04 AM
CATDADDY:
i have a 28 pitch lighting et 20hrs on it like new, will fit new 300x and others, great price HOW MUCH??