PDA

View Full Version : Phone # for Richard or William McCandless SS-55?

mango madness
08-22-2007, 06:32 PM
I need to get in touch with the McCandless's doe's anyone have a phone # or contact info?
Thanks, Mike D.

SS-55
08-22-2007, 10:05 PM
I think I know these guys? Hey Mike, Richard here, give me a call! 775-240-2472

jh4rt
08-23-2007, 05:10 AM
i'm wondering if William McCandless is the infamous Bill McCandless who used to live in Westlake Village, CA?

Chris Kenner - PS681
08-23-2007, 06:33 AM
Richard, hope all is well mate. Please send me your e-mail address so I can add you to the SSRA e-mail list. chris@loudnproudracing.com
Thanks.
I think I know these guys? Hey Mike, Richard here, give me a call! 775-240-2472

SS-55
08-23-2007, 04:07 PM
Infamous huh? Sounds like I need to hear some of those stories! Yeah thats my pops. How do you know him?

jh4rt
08-23-2007, 05:46 PM
In about 1978. He had an 18' spectra. My dad/brother own Hitch Masters in Van Nuys.
I'd love to catch up. Where are you guys now? Last i heard he was in Bakersfield. Does that mean Terri is your mom?
I'm going to be at the races in San Diego on Saturday. Are you guys going to be down there?

mango madness
08-23-2007, 06:43 PM
Thanks Richard for answering so quickly!
The Internet is an amazing thing.
I enjoyed talking with you today,I'm sorry to hear about your Dad's battle with skin cancer.
It's never easy.:(
I am glad to hear he's doing better though.
We hope to see you guy's in San Diego.
Mike D.

SS-55
08-23-2007, 11:46 PM
That is pretty cool. You knew them six years before I did! He used to work with your dad at Hitchmasters, from the stories I hear your parents and mine were good friends. I believe the 18 they had was the ex-"My Ding-Aling". Still hear stories about how fun those little Spectras were(are). When they moved to Reno Nv. in 1980 they brought their 24' Spectra v-drive cruiser with them. Unfortunatly sold that boat, and got away from boats for a while. In the mid 90's we got back into it. After a string of good boats(Sanger 18' Super Jet, Campbell 24' v-drive, and 27' Schiada with twin blown Pfaff small blocks/outdrives) we got into the hard stuff. We still have the Sanger plus a Cigarette 36 Gladiator and my all time favorite, the canary(Biesemeyer) Super Stock we race. How are your parents? My pop and mom would love to know. Never lived in Bakersfield, straight from L.A. to Reno. Teri is my moms, best lady I know! We're trying to make San Diego.
Mike thanks for the kind words, always love talking circle boats! hope to see you in San Diego, it will be a good time for sure.:)

SS-55
08-23-2007, 11:46 PM
Kenna, sent you an e-mail.

jh4rt
08-24-2007, 06:15 AM
That is pretty cool. You knew them six years before I did! He used to work with your dad at Hitchmasters, from the stories I hear your parents and mine were good friends. I believe the 18 they had was the ex-"My Ding-Aling". Still hear stories about how fun those little Spectras were(are). When they moved to Reno Nv. in 1980 they brought their 24' Spectra v-drive cruiser with them. Unfortunatly sold that boat, and got away from boats for a while. In the mid 90's we got back into it. After a string of good boats(Sanger 18' Super Jet, Campbell 24' v-drive, and 27' Schiada with twin blown Pfaff small blocks/outdrives) we got into the hard stuff. We still have the Sanger plus a Cigarette 36 Gladiator and my all time favorite, the canary(Biesemeyer) Super Stock we race. How are your parents? My pop and mom would love to know. Never lived in Bakersfield, straight from L.A. to Reno. Teri is my moms, best lady I know! We're trying to make San Diego.
I forgot that your dad worked there for a while. ;-) I was really excited when they moved to Westlake. I think your mom baby-sat for me and my brother a couple of times.
My mom and dad are doing great. They still live in the same house. We were at the races in Long Beach on Sunday and I saw your name in the program when we were leaving. My dad thought it might be Bill, but wasn't too sure; and we were on our way home. We should have stopped by.
My dad and I built a 24' "Sanger" spectra with twin outboards in the early eighties and my brother has that boat now. I have a '78 20' Schiada with an outboard.
I'm going to dig up some old pictures to bring to San Diego. We will definitely stop by. My mobile number is 805.469.3444. BTW: If your dad wanted to call mine, his number is 805.494.4067.
Looking forward to it.

Jetboatguru
08-24-2007, 06:21 AM
Small World hah Jim? :D :D

kipperps28
08-24-2007, 08:49 AM
This will make it smaller. I grew up in Westlake (went to Westlake High) (live and race in Washington now) and remember seeing a GN at Hitchmasters when I would ride my bike down Thousand Oaks Blvd as a little guy. And NOW, I race against Richard at Black Lake.

mondorally
08-24-2007, 09:10 AM
In the mid 90's we got back into it. After a string of good boats...and 27' Schiada with twin blown Pfaff small blocks/outdrives).....
My Dad & I own the 27' now:D. You guys did it right!
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/Schiada_notta_regatta_028.jpg
I would love to hear any stories about the boat - the initial build, race stories, etc. PM, email, or give me a call!
-Justin
714.478.522seven

jh4rt
08-24-2007, 10:12 AM
Small World hah Jim? :D :D
Nuts, right? Gotta love hot boat. Someone said they have a magazine too!
;-P

jh4rt
08-24-2007, 10:15 AM
This will make it smaller. I grew up in Westlake (went to Westlake High) (live and race in Washington now) and remember seeing a GN at Hitchmasters when I would ride my bike down Thousand Oaks Blvd as a little guy. And NOW, I race against Richard at Black Lake.
I graduated from Westlake High in '84. I'm married to my high school sweetheart who also graduated in '84.
Umm... that wasn't hitchmasters on T.O. Blvd. We were in the valley (Van Nuys), but it is a mistake often made.
Are you going to be in San Diego? Sh*t, we need to set up some kind of re-union dinner or something.

jh4rt
08-24-2007, 10:17 AM
My Dad & I own the 27' now:D. You guys did it right!
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/Schiada_notta_regatta_028.jpg
I would love to hear any stories about the boat - the initial build, race stories, etc. PM, email, or give me a call!
-Justin
714.478.522seven
Your karma is strong...owning that boat. I've been waiting to have enough money to get lee to build me a bare-hull one of those... but stan keeps telling me they cut the mold up. That is the prettiest boat EVER !!!

Jetboatguru
08-24-2007, 03:38 PM
Kip when did you graduate?
I graduated 85 from Newbury Park High School. We always killed you guys in every sport!!:D

Dkahnjob
08-24-2007, 09:54 PM
Hi Richard,
This is David Kahn, tell your dad that I said Hi.
Did you guys see "Shock Wave", the wood patterson SS at Long beach that your dad used to own after the St.John's made it famous.
Take care,
David

SS-55
08-25-2007, 12:50 PM
Jim, we're all glad to hear your parents are doing well. I'm going to get your dads number to pop so they can catch up. Yes that 27 is a pretty special boat. It is a nice compromise, rides like a big boat and hauls @$$ like a little boat with big power. Too bad you can't own them all, we loved that boat, ton of fun!
Dave I'll tell my pop you said hi. I would love to own "Shockwave" I have yet to see it person. Quite a piece of history. I remember going to Bob Pattersons shop and seeing some restored crackers, "Super Cinders", and his motorhome. That man is an artist! Hows that Barron sprint doing.

Dkahnjob
08-25-2007, 09:23 PM
Jim, we're all glad to hear your parents are doing well. I'm going to get your dads number to pop so they can catch up. Yes that 27 is a pretty special boat. It is a nice compromise, rides like a big boat and hauls @$$ like a little boat with big power. Too bad you can't own them all, we loved that boat, ton of fun!
Dave I'll tell my pop you said hi. I would love to own "Shockwave" I have yet to see it person. Quite a piece of history. I remember going to Bob Pattersons shop and seeing some restored crackers, "Super Cinders", and his motorhome. That man is an artist! Hows that Barron sprint doing.
Hi Richard,
The Barron Sprint is running great. I am about to replace the fuel tanks with new Stainless steel tanks. I am getting tired of welding cracked aluminum tanks at the filler.
What class are you racing now?

Roaddogg 4040
08-26-2007, 08:21 AM
Your karma is strong...owning that boat. I've been waiting to have enough money to get lee to build me a bare-hull one of those... but stan keeps telling me they cut the mold up. That is the prettiest boat EVER !!!
Why would anyone ever cut up the mold to this boat????? That should be a crime!!!!
Steve

SS-55
08-26-2007, 11:10 AM
Dave, we are running Super Stock, and we also enter Pro Stock for some extra seat time. We sure have met some super people involved with circle racing.
As far as he the 27' mold is concerned, Lee told us they used an insert in their 31' offshore mold(not to be confused with their newer 32'). They then had to build a deck one off. They did three. One with twin BMW power, the Pfaff powered beauty Mondorally is now blessed with, and a single engine job that I saw on boattrader about two or three years ago that was in restoration, bare hull condition. Not sure what molds they kept when they moved out of torrance, but it seems to be more Lee's style to hold on to every mold because you never know who's gonna want what. I am surprised he never made that boat able to build quicker because many people used to tell us that it was just what they wanted. Just to time intensive and expensive. I believe it took Schiada around six weeks just to cap the boat, filling and sanding to get it just right. But it is a beautiful cap.

kipperps28
08-27-2007, 08:56 AM
Kip when did you graduate?
I graduated 85 from Newbury Park High School. We always killed you guys in every sport!!:D
I went to Westlake from 91 through 93. I moved up to WA in 94 and graduated there (wanted to start racing boats, and had no racing family in CA). I swam and played water polo, and pretty much smoked N.P. every time (though we had to use your pool...) However, there was one good thing about your school: Plenty of slutty chicks! You graduated in 85? Did you have a satin Scorpions jacket or anything cool like that? :D

jh4rt
08-27-2007, 10:11 AM
Why would anyone ever cut up the mold to this boat????? That should be a crime!!!!
Steve
Lee says it is on the roof; Stan says they cut it up. I don't know the truth, but if you find out let me know.