PDA

View Full Version : Dad's crash at Don Pedro

sb540
08-23-2007, 09:37 AM
As some might already know...My old man crashed his Sanger Hydro doing over 100mph back in Big Creek at Lake Don Pedro. He is in a pretty bad state right now. We are going to have a very long road to recovery.
I wanted to let you guys know that we are having a golf tournament to help support my family through these rough times.
More details to come. We should have some great raffle prizes there that you wont need to be present to win. The tourn will be in the Bay Area just outside of Fremont
www.wakeuprochegolf.com
Thanks so much

707dog
08-23-2007, 09:56 AM
damn bro sorry to hear this about your pops...best wishes to your family and friends...

sb540
08-23-2007, 10:01 AM
He went out for a pass just before dinner when the water was nice. The boat started to walk and either came apart or took a violent turn and tossed him. He used to race Blown Gas Hydro for years so we doubt it was anything he could control. He was wearing a LIFELINE jacket, but no helmet. He sustained a major head trauma and a slightly fractured vertabra. He has been in a coma state since the accident. So until he wakes, there is no way of telling the extent of the brain damage. Although intial CT scans show it to be pretty severe.
We are all keeping our hope up though

Bense468
08-23-2007, 10:13 AM
Damn that doesn't sound good. Good luck to you and your family in this time.

deltarat
08-23-2007, 10:20 AM
Wow Bro, really sorry to here about this. Thanks God for the LIFELINE. I hope this all truns out ok for your father.
I will say a prayer for your family thats for sure.

snake321
08-23-2007, 10:22 AM
Good luck to your ol man

shippingguy
08-23-2007, 10:30 AM
Sorry to hear that. Prayers are with your family and father during this trying time.:( Try to keep a positive outlook on things.
Mike

LandSpeedRacer
08-23-2007, 10:40 AM
Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family, and if it is any consolation, he is still alive because he had his Lifeline on. Please, everyone, put your gear on and be safe.
Scott

bocco
08-23-2007, 11:13 AM
Glad you started this thread to keep us posted.
Here's hoping to see Ric back on the houseboat soon.
Gary

Heatseeker
08-23-2007, 03:50 PM
...and if it is any consolation, he is still alive because he had his Lifeline on. Please, everyone, put your gear on and be safe.
Scott
Scott, I agree with you 100% on this. Apparently, there were some contusions in his groin area suggesting that the crotch straps were stressed when the jacket tried to slide off. Without those straps, Ric would probably be in another place right now.
I emailed Lifeline to thank them for their product saving my cousin's life.

Eliminator 4 Life
08-23-2007, 07:53 PM
As some might already know...My old man crashed his Sanger Hydro doing over 100mph back in Big Creek at Lake Don Pedro. He is in a pretty bad state right now. We are going to have a very long road to recovery.
I wanted to let you guys know that we are having a golf tournament to help support my family through these rough times.
More details to come. We should have some great raffle prizes there that you wont need to be present to win. The tourn will be in the Bay Area just outside of Fremont
www.wakeuproche.com
Thanks so much
Im sorry to hear about your dad I was looking at his pics and he looks very familiar I used to work at the marina when I was in High School so I probably have met him and you before. He is in our prayers for a speedy recovery.

Heatseeker
08-24-2007, 03:04 AM
... I probably have met him and you before.
Undoubtedly, Ric's been on the lake since he was a youngster. His pops built their first HB in '64 or so. They still have permit no. 22.

Boatmaster
08-24-2007, 07:36 AM
Very sad news. Our thoughts and prayers are with your family.

DCBob
08-24-2007, 07:54 AM
Thoughts and prayers for your dad and family. I hope it all works out
btw what years did he race BGH and what boat?

hulshot
08-24-2007, 09:37 AM
Sorry to hear about the crash, at least he had some safty gear on. All of us shoud really learn from stuff like this. things can happen in seconds. Many of us have 80-100-120+ mph boats and we should probably start practicing more saftey when we roll into it.
Hope your dad recovers completely....

sb540
08-24-2007, 09:59 AM
Thoughts and prayers for your dad and family. I hope it all works out
btw what years did he race BGH and what boat?
He started out mid 70's I think with a boat named Typical Toad. Then eventually made it up to BGH with a boat name GOTCHA 271.http://a351.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/4/l_c5825572643e2a7dc20acabb76f9506e.jpg

Heatseeker
08-24-2007, 12:02 PM
Here's a shot of his first Sanger, the Typical Toad:
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/ttoad.jpg
Probably taken around 76-77.

ULTRA26 # 1
08-24-2007, 12:24 PM
Thoughts and prayers for your Dad to make a full recovery.
John M

HCS
08-24-2007, 12:41 PM
That's sad news, hopefully your dad recovers completely.
Being how he's loves boats I'm sure he'd love to ride again.

DCBob
08-24-2007, 12:45 PM
Reason I asked is brother Steve (Nice Pair) and I raced BGH (Rapid Transit) in 76-77. We more than likley raced with your pop. We wish him the very best and hope for a full and speedy recovery!

Outnumbered
08-24-2007, 10:52 PM
Hope your dad gets well soon.
You may want to have the mods move this to the Sand Bar. This forum is a little slow sometimes.
Take care.

sb540
08-27-2007, 06:54 PM
Thanks you everyone for your well wishes and support. We have finalized all the details for the gof tournament. We are going to have a lot of great prizes for the raffle and some amazing auction items. It should be a great time and if anyone can make it, that would be great. There are hole sponsorships available if you or your company just want to help. And if anyone knows any golfers, send them over to www.wakeuprochegolf.com
Thank you so much .......
Ryan Roche

watergun4u
08-27-2007, 09:02 PM
I am interested, what kinda fee's you lookig to get to par take??and I am sure I can GET alot more to do the same!:D let me know
thanks tye!:D

watergun4u
08-27-2007, 09:09 PM
I don't know you or your family, but that don't matter, as a fellow boater and have been since the age of 3, I truly feel the pain you are in now of the not knowing, but I am sure he is very tough, and will pull through this with flying color's! my deepest prayer's are with you and your family, we all here will pray untill we here the good news May god be with you!!!

Rexone
08-27-2007, 09:28 PM
So sorry to hear about your dad Ryan. I'll make the thread a sticky for awhile so more people see the golf t. info.

Rexone
08-28-2007, 02:07 AM
Here's the page Rio. (http://www.wakeuproche.com/how-can-you-help.html) Link for Golf T. appears to be at the bottom of the page.

fltflyn
08-28-2007, 06:08 AM
Sorry to hear about your Dad. You guys are in our prayers for a speedy recovery.

Familycat
08-28-2007, 07:45 AM
I have never met you or you father yet we spent consideral time talking about him this weekend. We recently purchased a houseboat on DP and just had and infomal hot boat weekend. Many who attend are the same people who have posed on this thread. Jeff with the yellow 28 DCB, and I, sat under the stars Saturday night and discussed your father and his crash. Jeff idicated he was there assisting in the rescue. I am very sorry for for what you must be going through.
I am not much of a golfer but would be honored to attend.
Rick

sb540
08-28-2007, 07:51 AM
Thank you all so much. It is a really weird time for all of us. We are just trying to make sense of it all. This is the first time he ever got "wet" in all his years of racing and having hot boats. We would love to have anyone who is willing to come. It would be great to meet some people from the forums.
some more info at www.wakeuprochegolf.com
thaks Rex for the sticky:)

sb540
08-28-2007, 07:56 AM
I have never met you or you father yet we spent consideral time talking about him this weekend. We recently purchased a houseboat on DP and just had and infomal hot boat weekend. Many who attend are the same people who have posed on this thread. Jeff with the yellow 28 DCB, and I, sat under the stars Saturday night and discussed your father and his crash. Jeff idicated he was there assisting in the rescue. I am very sorry for for what you must be going through.
I am not much of a golfer but would be honored to attend.
Rick
What houseboat are you guy on? You on the Fleming side. We have Pleasure Pad 2 up there across from the marina.
And we would love to have you and anyone else. And if you could have Jeff and anyone else who assisted contact me that would be great. We want anyone who helped there to give them a hug for pulling him out and saving his life.

Familycat
08-28-2007, 08:49 AM
What houseboat are you guy on? You on the Fleming side. We have Pleasure Pad 2 up there across from the marina.
And we would love to have you and anyone else. And if you could have Jeff and anyone else who assisted contact me that would be great. We want anyone who helped there to give them a hug for pulling him out and saving his life.
We would love to meet you. We are on a the houseboat named "Equity at its Best". I believe it was originally named "For Play". It is normally in the marina at Fleming but with the broken dock we are in the forth string in Schoolhouse cove. I will attach pictures. Are you planning on going back up anytime soon?
Rick

sb540
08-28-2007, 10:20 AM
We would love to meet you. We are on a the houseboat named "Equity at its Best". I believe it was originally named "For Play". It is normally in the marina at Fleming but with the broken dock we are in the forth string in Schoolhouse cove. I will attach pictures. Are you planning on going back up anytime soon?
Rick
Ya it would be great to meet you guys too. I probably wont go up for a few months. Just to let everything settle down. But my mom is going to go up within the next couple weeks to gather a few things and take a day off. We are in Buzzard cove second line in. Anytime you see someone on the boat swing by and say hi. I attached a picture with my Daytona
Ryanhttp://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n184/lflsjet/106_0642.jpg?t=1188324966

Familycat
08-28-2007, 12:52 PM
Ya it would be great to meet you guys too. I probably wont go up for a few months. Just to let everything settle down. But my mom is going to go up within the next couple weeks to gather a few things and take a day off. We are in Buzzard cove second line in. Anytime you see someone on the boat swing by and say hi. I attached a picture with my Daytona
Ryanhttp://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n184/lflsjet/106_0642.jpg?t=1188324966
We will stop by. Nice Daytona. If you look closely at the pictures I attached, one shows a 22 Daytona which is ours and the others shows a 204 Stoker which is my brothers. I would attach them like you did if I know how.
Let us know if you need a break and want to come up. Might be a good thing. Not sure.
Rick

stoker2001
08-28-2007, 01:10 PM
Sorry to here about your Dad
My wife grew up houseboating On DP 1975 thru 1985 with a houseboat they kept at Moccassin named Fore Play
They sold it to a guy named Carl,that we heard passed away a year or two ago
If you are the original owner of the yellow Stoker,we have met on a couple of outtings on the delta and berryessa
Prayers and thoughts for you Dad
Kevin Kraft

Sanitariumflat
08-28-2007, 02:50 PM
Sorry to hear about your father bro. Our thoughts & prayers are with him, you, & your family. I've hit a thousand things with a golf club and a golf ball is not one of them. Do you have anything else set up that us non-golfer types might be able to contribute to?
Smash

sb540
08-28-2007, 09:18 PM
Sorry to hear about your father bro. Our thoughts & prayers are with him, you, & your family. I've hit a thousand things with a golf club and a golf ball is not one of them. Do you have anything else set up that us non-golfer types might be able to contribute to?
Smash
Thank you man I appreciate it. We are in the process of setting some other things up. I will post when we get them ready. Thanks again..

Familycat
08-29-2007, 06:43 AM
Sorry to here about your Dad
My wife grew up houseboating On DP 1975 thru 1985 with a houseboat they kept at Moccassin named Fore Play
They sold it to a guy named Carl,that we heard passed away a year or two ago
If you are the original owner of the yellow Stoker,we have met on a couple of outtings on the delta and berryessa
Prayers and thoughts for you Dad
Kevin Kraft
The houseboat we purchased was built new in 2002 and was spelt slightly differently "For Play". My brother owns the Stoker you are referring to. He is the original owner. Been on the Delta and Berryessa many times.
Rick

BA Kurtis
08-29-2007, 04:41 PM
Cant make the golf toruney, but I will sure pray for your family, so sorry about your dad. God Bless

Heatseeker
08-30-2007, 03:16 PM
I can't believe there aren't more golfers here willing to play a nice course with a good meal afterwards for a good cause. I even hear there's going to be carts all along the course with a bunch of hotties dispensing cold beers.
C'mon fellas, sign up and come out for the day!

bocco
09-13-2007, 03:20 PM
Hope it's OK to paste this in from wakeuproche web site. I'm assuming family has been a bit busy to update the forums. Also even for those of us that don't golf let's do the lunch. Maybe we get a ***boat table or two going. So here's the two latest updates:
Update 9/8/2007
WOW, No one can tell me the power of positive thinking and miracles do not happen. When I walked into Ric's room today I saw something that still amazes me. He was sitting in a hospital chair next to his bed with his eyes fully open and when I walked in and said Heya Ricky Baby, he looked up at me. It was the best feeling I have had in 36 days. He was trying to mouth some words and definately focused on us when we talked. I feel he knows who we are and he is replying to questions via squeezing hands. He was awake about 4 hours today and everyday it gets a little longer. As of noon today they were taking him off his ventalator and if he can successfully breathe on his own they will move him from the expensive care unit...I mean intensive care unit to a regular room and soon remove the trache and give him the ability to talk. I know this site is for updates and not personal feelings but Oh my what a day!! Debbie, Dan, Doug, Ryan and the whole family your amazing daily push and work has proven so awarding, Big love to you all and what a feeling to see Ric's eyes looking back at us!! To everyone out there your support, dedication and all of the help you have all shown in so many ways is greatly appreciated. This means we will eventually bring Ric home and have some serious remodeling to do in the near future and help is needed through contributing to the account and or helping with the golf tournament. We need lots of golfers so come show your support regardless of the level of play there will be fun to be had by all with some great raffle prizes and a wonderful lunch. A reminder the date is October 28th. An earlier update said the 14th but it has been changed. More to come soon.....
Update 9/12/2007
OK I must say these updates are getting a lot more fun!! Well Ric had a room full of friends and family this morning from what I hear....he is recognizing everyone and mouthing peoples names. He says good bye and is asking for something but noone can figure out what it is. I am sure everyone that reads this has an idea or two...:) They are still weening him off of the ventilator and have him sitting up daily. He can wiggle toes and is grabbing your hand and holding hands. He is staying up a little longer as the days go by and showing steady progress. We are continually seeing the support come in in many ways and appreciate everyone that is contributing. We need more golfers and hope even if you do not golf we see EVERYONE there for the luncheon. We still are looking for raffle ideas and prizes so please let us know if you would like to help. Lets bring Ric home!!! More to come soon........

Familycat
09-14-2007, 06:28 AM
Wow that is fantastic. Just put a smile on my face at the end of a general s..ty week. Keep the progress coming.
Rick

sb540
09-14-2007, 03:47 PM
First off, thanks so much for all the support. My Dad is slowly coming around. They moved him out of the ICU today and into a regular room. Which is great because the visiting rules are much more relaxed. So now he can finally see his grandson again. My brothers kid was not even a month when the accident happened.
Today we were in there and he had his eyes open and was tring to mouth some words. We asked him to blink twice if he meant this or that. He gave us two big blinks. So he is in there fighting. It's just a matter of time until he comes all the way out.
We would love to have anyone who would like to join us for lunch or golf. There will be a lot of great boating people there. And we have some amazing raffle prizes/auction items ( Week stay in a beach front condo in San Diego on Pacific Beach, 30min tour by air of the Bay Area, (5) $100 dollar Macy's cards, A Cruise, iPod's, and a lot more great items)
PLUS THE BAR WILL BE OPEN!!!:D
So come on out ***boat!

sb540
09-25-2007, 08:14 PM
We added a raffle for a cruise that you dont need to be present to win.
Great deal for only $10
Spread the word
Thanks
http://www.wakeuprochegolf.com/cruise-raffle.html

Heatseeker
10-16-2007, 08:03 AM
I went for a visit on Sunday. Ric's recovery is moving along quite well considering the circumstances.
He has been moved to a hospital in Vallejo that has a renowned rehab center for people with injuries like his. The rehab program is quite intense, with five 6 hour days of exercise(more mental than physical @ this point).
He is able to speak very softly at this point and seems to remember everyone that visits. He has good motor skills on his right side, but still struggles with the left side.
The docs are thinking he may be able to go home sometime in Nov., providing we can get a room set up at his house to accommodate him, which is being worked on at this time.
So, come on folks, buy some raffle tix and come out for the golf tourney. Every little bit will help ensure that Ric is brought home and taken care of quickly!

wedge44
11-01-2007, 04:00 PM
We added a raffle for a cruise that you dont need to be present to win.
Great deal for only $10
Spread the word
Thanks
http://www.wakeuprochegolf.com/cruise-raffle.html
it says web-site no longer working ....anyone have info or details...wedge

Heatseeker
11-01-2007, 04:17 PM
The golf Tourney/Banquet was Sunday and was a huge success. There must have been 300 peeps(over 100 golfers) in attendance!
Ric's condition improves daily. He is talking pretty well and has full comprehension of what's going on around him. He is gaining motor skills daily. He is slated for release from the hospital Nov. 8th!!! The contractor is finishing up the room remodel/bathroom addition as I type this.
As you can imagine, Ric's family and friends are ecstatic over his recent progress and we will all be glad he's home and comfortable. He will do outpatient therapy for the duration. He still has a long road ahead, but at least he will be where he should be and surrounded by those that love him!

wedge44
11-01-2007, 04:35 PM
thank you....I don't know the family personnally, but I have family in Napa Valley and we also love to boat Don Pedro, that's enough in common......I hope and pray the best for his recovery....wedge