PDA

View Full Version : Really Dumb Dip Stick Question

ccenters
08-23-2007, 01:09 PM
I have the Milodon #31557 10qt marine oil pan and it came with a short dipstick screwed into the dip stick hole. The engine is new and has less than 1 hour on it. The installer "says" he put 8 quarts of oil in before he did his runup tests. I contacted Milodon with this question and their answer was to fill the pan 1 qt at a time and when it reached 7 qts that was low and 10qts was full and to mark the stick accordinly. Since the engine is installed that it out of the question. I would have to remove the engine and then the pan. I need to top off this oil to the proper level.
I've attached a photo of the dip stick
Does anyone have this oil pan on their engine and if so how do you determine the oil level when you use this dip stick.
There "seems" to be two marks where I have the arrows. Is the top mark { closest to the threaded plug the full mark[ 10 quarts]} and the bottom mark the Low oil mark?
Do not want to hurt my new engine so any help would be appreciated..
Thanks guys [ and gals];)

wet77
08-23-2007, 01:24 PM
I am running that pan too but taking into consideration that your motor is at a tilt in your boat and each boat is a little different coping mine would not be the answer:idea:
In my opinion you do not need all 10quarts in that pan as you will rob some HP as the crank sloshes around in it. I run about 8 quarts and have not had any problems. I do remember that on the dyno with that pan I had some oil psi problems because I had 10 quarts in it to start out and we then drained about 1-2 out and the problem went away;)

oldbuck40
08-23-2007, 01:25 PM
why would you have to remove the engine? and the pan??? just change the oil and filter! fill the filter before you put it on then pour the rest of that quart in the pan then start counting.
in alot of cases most people on a lake boat will use 8 quarts in a 10 qt. pan! you will be surprised at how much oil your engine can puke out if it has 10 qts in it! 8 will be fine.

oldbuck40
08-23-2007, 01:27 PM
I am running that pan too but taking into consideration that your motor is at a tilt in your boat and each boat is a little different coping mine would not be the answer:idea:
In my opinion you do not need all 10quarts in that pan as you will rob some HP as the crank sloshes around in it. I run about 8 quarts and have not had any problems. I do remember that on the dyno with that pan I had some oil psi problems because I had 10 quarts in it to start out and we then drained about 1-2 out and the problem went away;)
lol damn i must type slow :D your right wet77 it will make some problems!

Devilman
08-23-2007, 01:41 PM
lol damn i must type slow :D your right wet77 it will make some problems!
Say it isn't so...... :D

oldbuck40
08-23-2007, 01:47 PM
Say it isn't so...... :D
:D :D :D

Devilman
08-23-2007, 01:52 PM
:D :D :D
One of these days I may have to get ahold of one of them large capacity pans. Been awhile since I used a case of oil per oil change, lol....

thatguy
08-23-2007, 02:43 PM
I have the same pan.
There is no marks on the stick unless someone put them there.
I filled my filter, put in 8 qts. TOTAL. Ran the engine. Let it sit overnight.
Pulled the stick and filed a line around it. Then put 2 more in, ran it. Let it sit and marked that the same way.
High and Low right there.
That is on trailer, I haven't checked it on the water.
Tommy

jetovatorjeff
08-23-2007, 05:03 PM
is 8qts better than 10 in a 10 quart pan? someone else said that it is not good to fill pan up or it would blow seals. i have some oil come out of front main seal when it gets hot and/or i apply nitrous. would less quarts prohibit this in the future?

thatguy
08-23-2007, 05:18 PM
is 8qts better than 10 in a 10 quart pan? someone else said that it is not good to fill pan up or it would blow seals. i have some oil come out of front main seal when it gets hot and/or i apply nitrous. would less quarts prohibit this in the future?
Not for the right reasons. Crankcase pressure blows out seals and gaskets. I highly recomend Moroso Pan-Evac or equivelant.
Here is a picture of mine. Hoses from VC to headers. Keeps negative pressure in case proportionaly to rpm's.
Personally? I don't run mine low on oil. That pan comes with an attached stripper/ windage tray. Coupled with a crank scraper and surge baffle on the pump, I see no reason to run it low.
Just my .02
Tommy

smokinjoe
08-23-2007, 06:23 PM
would you run your car with one or two quarts low? its an 10qt pan put 10qts in it or risk spinning a bearing if the oil is too low and sloshes away from the pickup. I have a 16 qt pan and i run it at 16 qts and 17 with the filter, no pan evac just breathers on the valve covers and its a BBC with an 8-71 blower and I dont get any oil blowing out from anywhere. valve covers are taller then stock though and that helps to keep it out of the breathers. Just drain your oil and put 8 qts in it and mark the stick and anytime it gets below the mark just add a little and check it again. as long as you dont have any leaks you shouldnt have to add any over the summer then change it out for next season.

1968Droptop
08-23-2007, 06:41 PM
One of these days I may have to get ahold of one of them large capacity pans. Been awhile since I used a case of oil per oil change, lol....
I'm sure your wallet is happier that you haven't as well :sqeyes:. Case of oil ain't as cheap as it used to be...but then what is ???
I run my 10qt. Armondo's pan at 9qt's. I also am running two 1qt filters. I figure 11 qts' is plenty.

ccenters
08-24-2007, 10:05 AM
why would you have to remove the engine? and the pan??? just change the oil and filter! fill the filter before you put it on then pour the rest of that quart in the pan then start counting.
in alot of cases most people on a lake boat will use 8 quarts in a 10 qt. pan! you will be surprised at how much oil your engine can puke out if it has 10 qts in it! 8 will be fine.
I know I can do what you suggest and may end up doing that but I thought maybe someone here might have had the same problem. I just hate pumping all that oil out and putting it back just to get a mark on the dip stick. But, seems like that's what I'll have to do to be "sure"..
Thanks to all the folks here for the NFO. I guess I start draining oil now:mad:
I forgot to include that the instructions from Molidon were to have the pan on a work bench. Hence remove engine/pan thingy.

Ken F
08-24-2007, 06:06 PM
Why don't you just take a 6" level, hold it even with the bottom of your pan, and raise or lower the front of your trailer to get the bottom of the pan level?
You don't need to put it on a workbench.
Drain the oil, level the bottom of your pan, and put in 8 quarts. Then mark the stick.
at least you will be able to keep an eye on your oil level.
Ken F