PDA

View Full Version : REEDS on 300 PROMAX

Screaming Pete
07-30-2002, 07:38 AM
Has any one ut myself gone through reeds (carbon fiber) on a 300 promax I'm on my 3 set in 60hours whats up :confused:

exciter
07-30-2002, 07:39 AM
r u burning them?sounds like a lean prob.,cough,ect

Screaming Pete
07-30-2002, 07:48 AM
No Thier breaking. the first time it was like they were die cut from the reed block it self this time its was just 1 place on 1 reed that looked like it ripped out by a plyers

TOBTEK
07-30-2002, 10:06 AM
how did you know they were broken, was it running rough?

Screaming Pete
07-30-2002, 10:18 AM
Tobtek, Had a slight ruff idel and and about every 3 trips a fouled plug on 1 hole :rolleyes:

TOBTEK
07-30-2002, 11:11 AM
WHATS THE FIX? has Joe @ DCB called Mercury, Something is not happy in your motor. I still havent orderd a new 2003, want to of this old LEMON.. :D :D (kidding, your boat is awesome. not kidding about the sale)
[ July 30, 2002, 12:11 PM: Message edited by: TOBTEK ]

Screaming Pete
07-31-2002, 07:56 AM
Tobtek, I've been looking for another boat for sence we talked and think I might have something lined up, I'll let you know. I talked with mercury and they think I come off the pedal to quick??? I talked to Boyseen reeds and they said that Mercurys reed pedal is a 2 peice and the short 2nd peice(rev plate) makes the upper reed fold during decelleration and cathes on the rubber o ring that is is impregnated into the reed block it self and should use thier reeds and rev plate but they also said that I would get 1-300 more rpm's and I metioned that this motor has a rev limiter what are they talking about?? so it led me to belive they were not a familiar with the motor as first thought :confused:

TOBTEK
07-31-2002, 09:27 AM
SCREAMINGPETE...HOW TOUGH IS IT TO CHANGE OUT THE REEDS ANYWAY/EXPENSIVE? WHAT DID YOU FIND TO REPLACE YOUR DCB?

TOBTEK
07-31-2002, 09:30 AM
Screaming Pete:
No Thier breaking. the first time it was like they were die cut from the reed block it self this time its was just 1 place on 1 reed that looked like it ripped out by a plyerswhere are the broken pieces going,are you finding all the debris? Would be a bummer to be sucking that stuff into the cylinders.

HavasuDreamin'
07-31-2002, 09:33 AM
Screaming Pete:
Tobtek, I've been looking for another boat for sence we talked and think I might have something lined up, I'll let you know. I talked with mercury and they think I come off the pedal to quick??? I talked to Boyseen reeds and they said that Mercurys reed pedal is a 2 peice and the short 2nd peice(rev plate) makes the upper reed fold during decelleration and cathes on the rubber o ring that is is impregnated into the reed block it self and should use thier reeds and rev plate but they also said that I would get 1-300 more rpm's and I metioned that this motor has a rev limiter what are they talking about?? so it led me to belive they were not a familiar with the motor as first thought :confused: Oh, I think Boyseen knows what they are talking about. And from what you indicated through your conversation with them, it really makes me believe they know what they are talking about....and YES, I DO believe their reeds would give you some more rpm's. Now with a rev limiter you wouldn't go faster (if you are already bumping the limiter) unless you had your prop reworked (cupped harder) or if you went the next pitch up. However, if you kept the same prop, I bet you accelerate a little harder. To sum things up, the reeds will either allow you to accelerate a little harder or run a little faster with a reworked prop because you will be pulling a few more ponies out of the motor which is just an added plus to getting you motor back to being reliable. Good Luck

HavasuDreamin'
07-31-2002, 09:37 AM
One more thought and here is an analogy:
Take a guy with a 21' daycruiser and pull out his stock 350 and put a blown 540 in it.....but keep the prop the same and the rev limiter the same (say 5,500 rpm). He won't go any faster because his prop, gears and rpm are the same, but.........if you pull that prop off and put one on that is bigger (much bigger in this case), he will be able to pull the bigger prop the same rev limited 5,500 rpm ........result.....he is going faster! Good Luck
[ July 31, 2002, 10:37 AM: Message edited by: HavasuDreamin' ]

Screaming Pete
07-31-2002, 09:57 AM
Tobtek, they break off in small peices and get eaten . We inspected the cyclinders and no problems. HD i see your point and i thought first that i just would not get the rpm's because of the limiter and not be able to us the rpm's but ET and a little prop work would be my choises I'd do the prop :) and p/u the top end number. If i'm running a 28 brovo 1 lab with 3/4 holes now and getting 87mph on top what would i acheve and what do i ask to have done to the prop?? Your imput is greatly apprecated.

HavasuDreamin'
07-31-2002, 10:34 AM
Screaming Pete:
If i'm running a 28 brovo 1 lab with 3/4 holes now and getting 87mph on top what would i acheve and what do i ask to have done to the prop?? Your imput is greatly apprecated.SP: I am not familiar with your prop.....I would assume that since it is a bravo 1 prop that it is a thru-hub prop. Is this correct? Is this why you have holes drilled in it? I would bet that you would be better off (with or without any modifications) by switching to a true O/B prop, ie: an over the hub prop.
My best guess (without ever having ridden in a 22 Mach) is that the 22 has plenty of lift incorporated into the hull, therefore I say you would be better off with a Lightning style prop vs. a true chopper. In fact, you may be best off with a cleaver style prop, I don't know for sure. I would start out with a 14.5 X 28 Lightning ET or similar and go from there. I say 28 because it just seems about right for the RPM's and speeds you are running. I do not know what diameter the bravo prop is (my guess is less than 14.5). If it is a 13.5 or 14.0, then the 14.5 x 28 Lightning would be about perfect. If in fact the bravo is the best prop for your hull, then you can take it to any reputable prop shop and have the edges "cupped." What they do is take the edge of the prop on each ear and curl it over ever so slightly so that less water "slips" off the prop. This increases the efficiency of the prop, making it harder for the same motor to spin it the same rpm as a non cupped prop. Again, we are not talking huge rpm changes, just 100 - 200 or so.
Keep in mind, the larger diameter props have more blade in the water therefore they require more HP to spin them. The same holds true for over the hub props vs. thru hub props. The blade surface on an over the hub is larger than a thru hub, thus they require more HP to spin the same pitch. Keep in mind a cleaver will give you transom lift while a chopper will give you bow lift. The lightning is somewhere in between. I don't think you will need bow lift, therefore getting the transom up out of the water will create less drag. (again I don't have any experience with this boat and am speaking hypothetically here)
One other thing.........don't expect any miracles out of the Boyseen Reeds. They may give you 10-15 HP (Maybe). I say you pick up anywhere from 100 - 300 rpms and that is about it. However, if you don't continue to break them, it is money well spent even if they don't give you any more rpm. IMHO, reeds are not necessarily satisfying hop up mod when it comes to more mph, rather they are a must do when making other mods so that the stock reeds don't restrict your fuel intake system. Good Luck!
[ July 31, 2002, 11:44 AM: Message edited by: HavasuDreamin' ]

Screaming Pete
07-31-2002, 01:01 PM
HD, Thank You very much for all the info and taking the time to reply in such detail :)
Pete

anthony
08-04-2002, 07:07 PM
sp your other option is to send your computers out and have your rev limiter either raised or taken out ,like i did i'm runnin a 300 also i'm spinning a 28 over the hub 4-blade spinnelli at 6500 rpms . i also have a 26 bravo 1 with huge exhaust reliefs in it .that bravo is closer to a 15 inch diameter than a 13 or 13.5 that tobek was talking about . don't rush out and buy a over the hub prop,till you try about 10 different styles . my personel 2 cents ( your boat is no feather weight , one single engine .your going to want to have as many blades as you can so you can get that thing to plane, than try to get the prop that gets the big # up top (TUNNEL T)