PDA

View Full Version : Twins are fast but could this be true??

CMABadseed
10-16-2002, 02:07 PM
I was checking out the "site in progress" for extreme boats magazine yesterday and i ran across this....
http://www.extremeboatsmag.com/cgi-bin/classifieds/classifieds.cgi?session_key=&search_and_display_db_button=on&query=subcategory&category=Boats&subcategory=Catermaran&results_form at=
170mph+??? I've ridden in a couple 120+ Mach 22's and those things were built up (SS Drags, etc.) Just wondering might this concievably be correct?

kab
10-16-2002, 02:40 PM
Must be a miss print. I seriously doubt that thing would bust 120 mph. Drag motors put out a little over 300 hp, 300x put out @340-350 but weigh an extra 100 lbs per motor.

snappertapper
10-16-2002, 04:18 PM
I dont think there is any way possible, you prolly would have heard about it if it was true!

CMABadseed
10-16-2002, 06:18 PM
I figured as much about the mistake. Just thought it was funny. hey kab you have the twin 22 purple and yellow, with the killer system right?

HavasuDreamin'
10-16-2002, 06:20 PM
Not a chance in hell..........not possible. My guess is that boat will run 110 - 115 and that is about it. The 23' MTR is pretty big for a 23' boat.
KAB.........I heard........(rumor has it) that the drag motors put out more like 325 PSHP with the 300X's in the same range. Just different RPM bands, etc.

MikeF
10-16-2002, 09:13 PM
I was born in Florida and he has my name, But that isn't me eek! :cool: .

flyinbrian
10-17-2002, 05:32 AM
170-
NEVER
I agree with above, one-teens.
The fastest O/B powered boat EVER was a single O/B JohnRude that ran 176. something on nitrous and alcohol back in the early eighties.
The fastest O/B offshore cat ever was a 28 foot Skater out of Sweden that ran 3 2.5's at 136 in the kilo.

kab
10-17-2002, 06:03 AM
Yes , I have the purple and yellow twin with the nice stereo. HavasuDreamin' I heard the same thing. I just know that Mercury stamps all their drag motors with the same 300 hp rating.

HavasuDreamin'
10-17-2002, 06:12 AM
kab:
I just know that Mercury stamps all their drag motors with the same 300 hp rating.Yeah....I don't care what they stamp them, actually if they would put 250 on them, it might help with the insurance thing. wink But those motors are nasty.........nice boat btw!

kab
10-17-2002, 07:44 AM
Thanks. I know when Mercury was building the 260's they actually were alot closer to 280 hp. Some were closer to 280 than others but lou @ LakeLand Marine said they all were above the 260 mark. I agree I wish they would stamp 250 hp maybe my insurance would go down.

TOBTEK
10-17-2002, 08:50 AM
kab:
Thanks. I know when Mercury was building the 260's they actually were alot closer to 280 hp. Some were closer to 280 than others but lou @ LakeLand Marine said they all were above the 260 mark. I agree I wish they would stamp 250 hp maybe my insurance would go down.O.M.G. just got my first ins quote...2400.00 a yr with PMA....a new bayliner is lookin good! and maybe bayliner will do what I want...... :rolleyes:

HavasuDreamin'
10-17-2002, 10:19 AM
Tobtek.......keep searching, that seems awful high for a 22' tunnel with a single O/B. Everybody on the board says to try Gary Cann with State Farm. If you do a search of "insurance" I am sure you will find a thread with his information. :cool:

mbrown2
10-17-2002, 10:19 AM
TOBTEK:
kab:
Thanks. I know when Mercury was building the 260's they actually were alot closer to 280 hp. Some were closer to 280 than others but lou @ LakeLand Marine said they all were above the 260 mark. I agree I wish they would stamp 250 hp maybe my insurance would go down.O.M.G. just got my first ins quote...2400.00 a yr with PMA....a new bayliner is lookin good! and maybe bayliner will do what I want...... :rolleyes: I am feeling you guys based on what I pay, but I would be hating life even worse if I was paying more for Insurance on a 22 than a 26 that when both are new there is probably a 20K diff in Price. I understand that they are concerned about a small boat going that fast, but I call Bull Shit...the 26 Cat feels more in control at 80 then the V does at 55...just don't make sense.

CMABadseed
10-17-2002, 01:24 PM
kab, that's cool i've seen you out by hidden a few times over the summer. used to work for DCB actually took your boat to Havasu for the HB photo shoot.
seems the world is ever shrinking, eh?

Havasu Cig
10-17-2002, 04:41 PM
HavasuDreamin':
Tobtek.......keep searching, that seems awful high for a 22' tunnel with a single O/B. Everybody on the board says to try Gary Cann with State Farm. If you do a search of "insurance" I am sure you will find a thread with his information. :cool: We used Gary on our Mach 26 and the policy got cancelled after 3 months (they figured out what they had insured). He is a good guy but he is only an agent. I would go somewhere else and save yourself the problems.

TOBTEK
10-17-2002, 04:59 PM
Havasu Cig:
HavasuDreamin':
Tobtek.......keep searching, that seems awful high for a 22' tunnel with a single O/B. Everybody on the board says to try Gary Cann with State Farm. If you do a search of "insurance" I am sure you will find a thread with his information. :cool: We used Gary on our Mach 26 and the policy got cancelled after 3 months (they figured out what they had insured). He is a good guy but he is only an agent. I would go somewhere else and save
yourself the problems.thanks for the advice CIG.....

kab
10-18-2002, 06:10 AM
CMA- I actually had the Mach 26 out at Hidden Shores over forth of July weekend and then the Mach 22 for Labor day. How long ago did you work for DCB?? I probably met you before. I purchased my first O/B 21 Daytona from DCB back in 97, then I bought a twin, then I ordered the 26 and now back to the twin. Toby thats alot of money for a single O/B, I barely pay more for the twin. Keep looking!! How the new boat CIG ?? Have you towed that monster back from Havasu yet?

STV_Keith
10-18-2002, 07:44 AM
I'd guess he meant 107mph.

TOBTEK
10-18-2002, 11:21 AM
kab:
CMA- I actually had the Mach 26 out at Hidden Shores over forth of July weekend and then the Mach 22 for Labor day. How long ago did you work for DCB?? I probably met you before. I purchased my first O/B 21 Daytona from DCB back in 97, then I bought a twin, then I ordered the 26 and now back to the twin. Toby thats alot of money for a single O/B, I barely pay more for the twin. Keep looking!! How the new boat CIG ?? Have you towed that monster back from Havasu yet?SO, I tried P.M.A......WOW! $2400.00 a year soulds high for a single 300. who else should I try. Interesting comment made by P.M.A, he said they use "A few" internet sites to check the real speed's of these boats. Do you think we are being watched?

kab
10-18-2002, 12:27 PM
What did you say your top speed would be? The way you want your motor set-up will have a huge effect on top speed, unless you buy that new jack plate. Still the top speed with all your stereo stuff and 6 batteries, coolers, anchor, ropes, skis, bimini top up, full tanks right around 60 maybe 65. What did Buzz say he thought your top speed was?? 100 mph? He quoted me less than that for the twin but I had to prove(???) that it went less than 100.

TOBTEK
10-18-2002, 02:06 PM
kab:
What did you say your top speed would be? The way you want your motor set-up will have a huge effect on top speed, unless you buy that new jack plate. Still the top speed with all your stereo stuff and 6 batteries, coolers, anchor, ropes, skis, bimini top up, full tanks right around 60 maybe 65. What did Buzz say he thought your top speed was?? 100 mph? He quoted me less than that for the twin but I had to prove(???) that it went less than 100.60-65 EZ TWIN BOY! I was stright up with them, told them I was setting it with a holeshot/ski prop and would only do about mid 80's maybe high 80's. I would rather be safe and have plenty of ins. also no lay-up winter period, will use local. They said the problem is that with a prop swap it will do higher speeds! So who else besides P.M.A???? what did you have to prove...private email me!!!!!they are watching

CMABadseed
10-18-2002, 02:08 PM
kab, i worked there straight for 3 years and work there during the summers now. I do remember seeing lots of people from these HB boards, but i didn't formally meet many. I rigged a lot of side panels, yards of carpet, stereos, molding, that stuff. but never really got a chance to rig "my own boat". maybe this summer! (crossed fingers)

TOBTEK
10-20-2002, 06:45 AM
CMABadseed:
kab, i worked there straight for 3 years and work there during the summers now. I do remember seeing lots of people from these HB boards, but i didn't formally meet many. I rigged a lot of side panels, yards of carpet, stereos, molding, that stuff. but never really got a chance to rig "my own boat". maybe this summer! (crossed fingers)CMA....since you worked there for sometime id like to ask you a stereo question. On a MACH22's side panels I am putting a focal three way system in the front and back. They have a 6.5 midbase, 4.75 midbase and a tweeter in each corner. my question is, how much room do I have behind the panels for the 6.5 and 4.75 speaker boxes? I asked THEM about it and they looked at me like I was form mars. most base speakers NEED boxes to perform correctly.....these do! The plan is to make these small boxes and have them install them when they are rigging the new boat. What other cool custom thing have you seen people do when building there new boats? Im sure you saw some interesting things. I would like some more storage room for nick nacks up by the drivers area, saw the twin 200 in his showroom had some floorstorage that was ccol. Im also having them make the rear sundeck/storage area a bit smaller, to give more room inside the seating area...thanks for any help you may give....

CMABadseed
10-21-2002, 01:50 PM
that's a lot of speaker in that little side panel. you'll probably be okay, you might be able to have them install speaker boxes similar to how the cupholders are installed. as far as wild goes...kab's boat is one hell of a system. there are a couple others with xtra 6x9's bolted under the hatch, those are cool for the sandbar, or channel. sokem of the 28's have huge systems too. i remeber one with 4 10's in the pedestal and 6x9's in the panels, tweeters by the front grab handles 10's in front of each front seat, wtc...those things are just crazy though! talk to Kevin...he's did most of kabs.
late

kab
10-21-2002, 02:23 PM
I've got to admit the system sounds pretty good for only four 6 1/2's and 2 tens, but plenty of power.