PDA

View Full Version : Gas Mixture Question

kphayes
02-21-2003, 11:17 AM
This might have been touched on once before but I missed it.
Is there a proper way that you can pour oil straight into the tanks and then add the gas or vise-versa. Is this a big no no? On my old boat it wasn't a big deal to mix fiver's and pour them in, but now with the new boat I have 70 gal's to deal with. I don't know how often I will really be filling up that much gas at once. I want to keep a good ratio so if I need to stick w/mixing fiver's then I will.

TOBTEK
02-21-2003, 11:23 AM
kphayes:
This might have been touched on once before but I missed it.
Is there a proper way that you can pour oil straight into the tanks and then add the gas or vise-versa. Is this a big no no? On my old boat it wasn't a big deal to mix fiver's and pour them in, but now with the new boat I have 70 gal's to deal with. I don't know how often I will really be filling up that much gas at once. I want to keep a good ratio so if I need to stick w/mixing fiver's then I will. I used to do it all the time. Just make sure you have the room for the gas that you put oil in for.
NOT good adding oil for say 20 gallons, then it will only accept 15 gallons, just be care....no problem.

kphayes
02-21-2003, 11:27 AM
Did you find or could you tell if you were a little rich or lean?

HavasuBarney
02-21-2003, 12:51 PM
Just keep one fiver with you and mix your oil in the last five of gas you put in. :)

kphayes
02-21-2003, 01:11 PM
HavasuBarney:
Just keep one fiver with you and mix your oil in the last five of gas you put in. :) So you're saying that fiver is super rich?

TOBTEK
02-21-2003, 01:12 PM
kphayes:
Did you find or could you tell if you were a little rich or lean? plugs always looked good, didnt smoke at all (syneryn oil) didnt over heat....dont know what else to check...I was mixing at 40 to 1(ish)

TOBTEK
02-21-2003, 01:13 PM
kphayes:
HavasuBarney:
Just keep one fiver with you and mix your oil in the last five of gas you put in. :) So you're saying that fiver is super rich? keep a extra 5'er so you dont over fill the oil.....I think he is saying.

kphayes
02-21-2003, 01:33 PM
TOBTEK:
kphayes:
Did you find or could you tell if you were a little rich or lean? plugs always looked good, didnt smoke at all (syneryn oil) didnt over heat....dont know what else to check...I was mixing at 40 to 1(ish) Is "syneryn" better than Merc's oil? You don't get any smoke?

kab
02-21-2003, 02:13 PM
The best oil for your 2.5's is Redline. Its awesome, hardly smokes at all. I run it in my DCB mach 22 twin.

Skaterfast
02-21-2003, 03:33 PM
All due respect.The Red Line oil is not the best oil for the Mercs.The best oil for the Mercs is the Merc High Performance Blend.No questions.Believe me when I say there has been many more Mercs blown up because they don't run the recomended oil.This is why the waranty is void if they find onother type of oil in you system.I'm sure Red Line makes a great product,I ran it in all my CR 250's,but the rebuild on that is only 300 bucks.I wouldn't be caught dead running anything else but Merc oil.My .02

HavasuBarney
02-21-2003, 07:05 PM
kphayes:
HavasuBarney:
Just keep one fiver with you and mix your oil in the last five of gas you put in. :) So you're saying that fiver is super rich? You just want to get the oil mixed with some gas, then when that's added to your tank it will mix easier than just dumping the oil into the tank.

Skaterfast
02-22-2003, 09:16 AM
I ran out of gas one time and when I went to fill up I put oil in first.The motor wouldn't fire because the gas line was full of oil.

kphayes
02-24-2003, 08:01 AM
I am running Mercs Hi-perf. blend now but it smokes like a mother. I guess I can live with the smoke over rebuilding motors.

kab
02-24-2003, 08:16 AM
I'm telling you redline is the best oil period. I've run merc hi perf, its good but not the same as redline. Even Joe at DCB recommends redline of merc. And Joe knows his stuff.

TOBTEK
02-24-2003, 09:31 AM
kab:
I'm telling you redline is the best oil period. I've run merc hi perf, its good but not the same as redline. Even Joe at DCB recommends redline of merc. And Joe knows his stuff. argue .... :D easy francis...hehehe. I kept an eye open for April at the show yesterday. I was figuring you would be the old guy with her, never saw her. although that One frozen marg kicked my butt :D

kab
02-24-2003, 09:54 AM
Never made it. I guess you already figured that out. I really wanted to go but just never found the time. Toby- check your e-mail, I'm looking for a quad need a hook-up. Oh yeah well my dad says redline is better than merc :D

HavasuDreamin'
02-25-2003, 11:08 AM
The argument over which oil is best is an old one that never gets resolved. All I will say, is use a top flight synthetic lube and mix it 32:1. Personally, I use Klotz, but I won't push it on you because I think the Merc stuff is good too.
A 32:1 ratio is equal to four ounces per gallon. Five gallons is 20 ounces of oil. I use a measuring cup when I fuel up and pour the oil and gas into the tank at the same time. Yes, it is a little more of a pain in the ass, but it works form me. Good Luck

HavasuBarney
02-25-2003, 04:29 PM
kphayes:
I am running Mercs Hi-perf. blend now but it smokes like a mother. I guess I can live with the smoke over rebuilding motors. You can run your Merc Hi-Pro Oil, just run AV gas and you'll run smoke free! :)

Zuumer
02-26-2003, 04:38 PM
Barney is totally right. Run Merc oil and avgas and U won't have a problem. My $.02 after 10 years at Lakeland Marine working with Lew. :cool:

sam pioske
02-27-2003, 08:34 PM
HavasuBarney:
kphayes:
I am running Mercs Hi-perf. blend now but it smokes like a mother. I guess I can live with the smoke over rebuilding motors. You can run your Merc Hi-Pro Oil, just run AV gas and you'll run smoke free! :)

sam pioske
02-27-2003, 08:41 PM
To All the guys, I 3rd or 4th the "use av. gas" it won't smoke. I'm an old i mean ooooold outboard moter user, used 30 wieght anything oil for many years, av gas no smoke. Lakeland Marine put me on to this years ago my 02 cents

TOBTEK
02-27-2003, 09:47 PM
how much are some of you guy's paying for the AV gas? I haven't bought it in a few years (2.5 outboard era) at that time it was mid 2 dollars. And if I remember they sell it at the pump at fishers.

kphayes
02-28-2003, 07:41 AM
TOBTEK:
how much are some of you guy's paying for the AV gas? I haven't bought it in a few years (2.5 outboard era) at that time it was mid 2 dollars. And if I remember they sell it at the pump at fishers. I am also intrested in hearing what it's going for out there. Are there any down falls to using Av-gas? I know it burns clean and hot, is that a problem that you need to handle the way you run different?

KAPTAIN KIRK
02-28-2003, 07:58 AM
Hayes.....I boat right up the river from you.
Port Barrington.
I run 32:1 merc racing.
If you want we can go in on some oil together.
Will be picking up a barrel soon.
if your interested let me know and saveyour jugs!
I start with 15 gallons at the beginning of the season.
Of course your running 2 motas, where I have one.
Can't help you on the avgas thing.
But I will ask around.
Who does your wrenching? You ?
Hey Barney long time no talk.....trying ta come your way soon....and tow!!
IF I have boat together in time:)
K.K.
[ February 28, 2003, 08:02 AM: Message edited by: KAPTAIN KIRK ]

You Te
02-28-2003, 08:09 AM
Hey Kaptain,
Whats wrong with the Riot?

kphayes
02-28-2003, 09:17 AM
See below.
[ February 28, 2003, 09:22 AM: Message edited by: kphayes ]

kphayes
02-28-2003, 09:21 AM
Kaptain Kirk-
I'd be intrested in the oil deal. Tell me more about it. How much did you go through last year?
You get a 55? That's alot of oil. I plan on doing alot more running this year compared to last because of the the new boat.(bigger)
Port of barrington, isn't that on the lower part of the river?
Fortunately haven't had to do any. (wrenching) Always like to have a good place to go, if I need to though.
What boat do you have KK? I was wondering if I've see you.
[ February 28, 2003, 09:24 AM: Message edited by: kphayes ]

COUGARMAN
02-28-2003, 07:38 PM
HEY KPHAYES, JUST WONDERING IF YOUR SET UP HAS AN OIL INJECTION SYSTEM? IF SO YOU DONT NEED TO HASSLE WITH MIXING UNLESS YOU ARE TURNING REAL HIGH RPMS. OTHERWISE IT IS JUST A HASSLE YOU DONT NEED.JUST ANOTHER 2 CENTS WORTH!
COUGARMAN

Skaterfast
02-28-2003, 09:41 PM
In all 3 Mercs that I've owned I mix 1/2 92 octane and 1/2 Av gas.I've never paid over $2.20 a gallon for Av gas.And I have never had a motor failure due to bad fuel,detination or oil.In my old 2.5 260hp Merc I ran the Merc performance blend oil and now in my twin 225 Promaxs I run the cheaper merc tcw3.

kphayes
03-01-2003, 01:37 PM
COUGARMAN:
HEY KPHAYES, JUST WONDERING IF YOUR SET UP HAS AN OIL INJECTION SYSTEM? IF SO YOU DONT NEED TO HASSLE WITH MIXING UNLESS YOU ARE TURNING REAL HIGH RPMS. OTHERWISE IT IS JUST A HASSLE YOU DONT NEED.JUST ANOTHER 2 CENTS WORTH!
COUGARMAN My 2.5's are not oil injected.

KAPTAIN KIRK
03-03-2003, 09:19 PM
UT......Nothing but the hull and clamp brackets left on the trailer!!
Complete rerig !!
KP your post says you live in crystal lake.
Port Barr. is right up the river from there!
And yes that would be lower river.
I think I ran next to you early in the season last year on the lower river.
You had a 19' or so Eliminator?
Was you and your wife and I was runnin with my Dad in the boat...His first ride!
Also I was at Kosh....Believe youall were in the bikini contest!
I was on the rock river when that went on.
But I ran at Kosh the next day.
I don't get a 55 just for me,I go in with some other people on it.
Sort of a first come first serve!
I am there when the barrel is cracked.
Used just 17 gallons last year....I think?
Can't post what I pay.....to many eyes....but there is NO WAY you can beat it......
UT I will me in Las Vegas 5-1-03 thru 5-7-03.
Gettin married there on the 4th.
If ya not busy fly in....Or watch my bachelor party on pay per view sat. nite.
K.K.

KAPTAIN KIRK
03-03-2003, 09:20 PM
Oh by the way Kp.....I run a merc. racing colors,
colored Rapid Craft Riot

kphayes
03-04-2003, 11:09 AM
KAPTAIN KIRK:
Oh by the way Kp.....I run a merc. racing colors,
colored Rapid Craft Riot I know the boat. I remember commenting on it when we were running together. I kept getting a hit on the arm to slow down and stop racing w/you. That was fun, I really liked your boat. Very quick! By the way, I still have that red one and want to sell it. So if you know anyone looking for one let me know.

kphayes
03-04-2003, 11:36 AM
KK-
Send me a PM about the cost of the oil. I'm intrested. Any way I can save a buck you know.

Boat Racer
03-21-2003, 07:01 PM
I'm new here, but I would never do this. BUT, I only hold a small amount of fuel. You would be safe if you knew you were going to take "X" number of gallons.
Just my two cents worth.ENJOY!!!!!!
[ March 28, 2003, 05:29 AM: Message edited by: Boat Racer ]

HavasuBarney
03-21-2003, 10:35 PM
[ March 21, 2003, 10:36 PM: Message edited by: HavasuBarney ]

kphayes
03-22-2003, 06:33 AM
What were you going to say HB? or did you decide, if you can't say anything nice don't say it at all. :D
[ March 22, 2003, 06:35 AM: Message edited by: kphayes ]

HavasuBarney
03-22-2003, 07:14 AM
:D
I was actually attempting to help Boat Racer out and post that picture of his boat, couldn't get it to work though. :)
How's your boat looking?

kphayes
03-24-2003, 08:24 AM
I have it inside my shop for the winter right now, so I haven't done anything w/the repair. I plan on taking it home around April 15th and should be able to get it in for repair after that. Again, thanks for the info on the repair.