PDA

View Full Version : Never Seen So Many Drunks on the Water,,,

Trailer Park Casanova
08-25-2007, 03:28 AM
We were on the Parker Strip today.
About 4 pm headed North to the dam, and (the only) blue and white deckboat with two dark-hairs guys at full throttle missed us and other boaters ( friends in a red Essex & purple Shockwave) by less than 4 feet, with everyones kids in the water cooling off, flags waving.
Advantage Party Cat, pink and blue right behind him missed the rocks south of River Hogan by inches everyone concurred,, full speed.
These drivers shit-faced to the world, not slowing down for nothing.
To see your children get creamed by a drunk boater is a gruesome thought.
Had some close calls over the decades, but we saw our lives flash by this time.
It's going to be a tough Labor Day weekend.
It's not looking good for a safe week or weekend.
Two nites ago, a knock at the door in the middle of the night.
Drunk neighbors drove their boat right up on the beach. Lots of cuts and lacerations on their faces,, destroyed windshield, $500 prop confetti, gell coat a mess.
Dam they were lucky, and lucky no kids were sleeping on the beach either.
Another boat just missed slamming into Bass Point going at least 50 MPH.
He turned so sharp at the last second when he woke up at the wheel, he threw his passengers across the deck.
We & several families ran down to check on them as they drifted toward the beach. Bells rung deluxe.
Driver too shit faced to talk. His eyes were asterisks.
Passengers had cuts to their faces and legs.
It's different this year. Not like the past. Seems like more crazy drunks on the water than ever.
Might just sit on the beach for the Labor Day.
Yep,, gonna bust out the beach chairs this holiday.

shueman
08-25-2007, 04:45 AM
About 4 pm headed North to the dam, and (the only) blue and white deckboat with two dark-hairs guys at full throttle missed us and other boaters ( friends in a red Essex & purple Shockwave) by less than 4 feet, with everyones kids in the water cooling off, flags waving.
Geez...that's way too close...:jawdrop:

Boatcop
08-25-2007, 05:33 AM
Unfortunately, we can't catch everyone.
But I do have some questions, Ross.
Did you call the Sheriff's on any of these? If a drunk was driving down your street, sideswiped a tree in front of your house, smashed their car and injured themselves wouldn't you call the Police?
If a driver was swerving and hauling ass, nearly hitting you or other cars on the freeway, wouldn't you call 911?
It's no different on the water. As long as supposedly responsible boaters give these guys a pass, it will continue to happen.
How would you feel if, after seeing and knowing that a drunk was clearly a danger to other boaters, you didn't do anything and later heard that they ran over and killed innocent people.
Call us when you see something like that. That's what we're out there for.

RitcheyRch
08-25-2007, 07:38 AM
Good advice BoatCop. Guess I need to get the phone number to Blythe PD when on the river next weekend.

Kyote
08-25-2007, 07:47 AM
Did you call the Sheriff's on any of these? If a drunk was driving down your street, sideswiped a tree in front of your house, smashed their car and injured themselves wouldn't you call the Police?
If a driver was swerving and hauling ass, nearly hitting you or other cars on the freeway, wouldn't you call 911?
It's no different on the water. As long as supposedly responsible boaters give these guys a pass, it will continue to happen.
How would you feel if, after seeing and knowing that a drunk was clearly a danger to other boaters, you didn't do anything and later heard that they ran over and killed innocent people.
Alan,
It appears that some of this action happened at Emerald Cove. If this is the case and the boat is now ashore would your officers respond or would California authorities have to be called?

ColeTR2
08-25-2007, 07:57 AM
BC do you have a direct number that we could when we are on the water... with out using 911... The other night we were boat just noth the casicno at 10:00 pm and here is his guy so F up riding a wave runner no lights....

Trailer Park Casanova
08-25-2007, 08:04 AM
We'll do just that.
Stunned and snakebit I guess.
Yeah, youre right BC, we should have called.
We're not holding the LEOS accountable,, can't be everywhere like you say.
Either we're in the wrong places all of the sudden, or it's a gonna be a bigger DUI weekend.
Busted out the Flipcam too.
Going to change my words for video in the future.
Would'a been a lawnmower through a flea circus had a wake re-adjusted the deckboats aim.

Tom Brown
08-25-2007, 09:10 AM
Maybe they were just incompetent and not drunk?

Wet Dream
08-25-2007, 09:51 AM
I guess they were close if you could see 2 dark hairs. ;)

mbrown2
08-25-2007, 09:59 AM
Did you call the Sheriff's on any of these?
Ditto...and btw Parker Sux....keep your family safe and don't go there!

Ultracrazy
08-25-2007, 10:14 AM
Maybe they were just incompetent and not drunk?
:D Love it

Redwing247
08-25-2007, 11:38 AM
Open container in a car/parked car = ticket.
Open container in a boat/parked boat = OK
:confused: :confused: :confused:
And we wonder why so many drunk boaters ???

Wet Dream
08-25-2007, 11:43 AM
Here we go again with some of you dumb mother f'ers ASSUMING consumption and intoxication. Redwing, that goes for you. TPC, you didn't chase the guys down, how the hell would you know if they were or weren't? You didn't have the balls to go after them and confirm.

TCHB
08-25-2007, 12:03 PM
We spent a lot of time on the lake this week and it was pretty mellow. Lets hope people do not drink and drive. If they do they should go to jail!!!

Tom Brown
08-25-2007, 12:13 PM
Here we go again with some of you dumb mother f'ers ASSUMING consumption and intoxication.
I tried to suggest an alternative hypothesis Wet Dream, but these dumb mother f'ers just wouldn't listen. They are as ignorant and unthinking as a group of people who have been drinking. http://www.***boat.com/ubb/mad.gif

Jbb
08-25-2007, 12:18 PM
I tried to suggest an alternative hypothesis Wet Dream, but these dumb mother f'ers just wouldn't listen. They are as ignorant and unthinking as a group of people who have been drinking. http://www.***boat.com/ubb/mad.gif
Eschew Obfuscation Canatard...

Wet Dream
08-25-2007, 12:20 PM
LOL. As always, there are 2 sides to the story. Ask the guys on the boat, perhaps they would say that there was a boat floating in an unsafe location. :confused:

Tom Brown
08-25-2007, 12:25 PM
... perhaps they would say that there was a boat floating in an unsafe location. :confused:
Unsafe.... like within walking distance of Kokomos?

Wet Dream
08-25-2007, 12:31 PM
Unsafe.... like within walking distance of Kokomos?
I have no idea where you found Kokomos in the story, but I was relating to this part of it:
Advantage Party Cat, pink and blue right behind him missed the rocks south of River Hogan by inches everyone concurred,, full speed.
These drivers shit-faced to the world, not slowing down for nothing.
To see your children get creamed by a drunk boater is a gruesome thought.

BoatPI
08-25-2007, 12:35 PM
Alan; Perhaps you could provide a direct telephone number to your local dispatch. As you may know it can be 10 minutes waiting for 911 on a cellphone to answer. K

Flyinbowtie
08-25-2007, 12:41 PM
Operating from the perspective that what TPC saw and reported is an accurate description of what happened, I think his conclusion that these operators were inder the influence is plausible.
It is much easier to beleive that people doing stupid things, like driving like idiots, etc, are doing so because they are under the influence, not because they are simply stupid, self-centered and self-indulgent jerks.
Sadly, the truth is that many times, they are all of the above, and under the influence.
I agree that he should have called the cops. He now agrees that he should have called the cops. I understand why he didn't, but I bet it doesn't happen again.
Chasing down people behaving like this while one's family is in the boat/ water isn't necessarily wise. Generally, if they are doing shit like this it is a part of their character. That, at least, was my experience.

Ultracrazy
08-25-2007, 12:44 PM
Operating from the perspective that what TPC saw and reported is an accurate description of what happened, I think his conclusion that these operators were inder the influence is plausible.
It is much easier to beleive that people doing stupid things, like driving like idiots, etc, are doing so because they are under the influence, not because they are simply stupid, self-centered and self-indulgent jerks.
Sadly, the truth is that many times, they are all of the above, and under the influence.
I agree that he should have called the cops. He now agrees that he should have called the cops. I understand why he didn't, but I bet it doesn't happen again.
Chasing down people behaving like this while one's family is in the boat/ water isn't necessarily wise. Generally, if they are doing shit like this it is a part of their character. That, at least, was my experience.
AHhh.......couldn't have said it better myself. Some one with some common sense.

shueman
08-25-2007, 02:11 PM
Here we go again with some of you dumb mother f'ers ASSUMING consumption and intoxication. Redwing, that goes for you. TPC, you didn't chase the guys down, how the hell would you know if they were or weren't? You didn't have the balls to go after them and confirm.
Passing within 4' of people in the water, as speed, has some assumptions built in...
1. Alcohol Impairment
2. No Brains Attached to the Helm
3. Blinded by Head Up A$$
If you do not take evasive action on the water to avoid swimmers, down skiers, boats stopped or at idle, you should be aware that you are breaking the law. It's time to wake up and try to remember, "Safety First"...

THOR
08-25-2007, 02:18 PM
Well, that just sucks. But, we also dont need a bunch of vigilantes chasing down boats to make presumptive citizen arrests. Being and asshole doesnt mean you are drunk.

THOR
08-25-2007, 02:20 PM
We Lets hope people do not drink and drive. If they do they should go to jail!!!
They should? What if they were under the legal limit? Now, before you hammer me, I just want to know what happens if you are given a breathalizer and blow a .02 or .03 or something below the legal limit. What happens?

Tom Brown
08-25-2007, 02:21 PM
Now, before you hammer me, I just want to know...
THOR, you might think I haven't responded to you in the Drinking discussions thread but, as a matter of fact, I have. I'm not ignoring you. I edited the first post in the thread as a response to your post. :)

Ultracrazy
08-25-2007, 02:23 PM
They should? What if they were under the legal limit? Now, before you hammer me, I just want to know what happens if you are given a breathalizer and blow a .02 or .03 or something below the legal limit. What happens?
You can still be cited for OUI. There are two sub sections. One deals with the limit (.08 in CA) and one deals with impairment. If you are deemed impaired.....you can be cited.

THOR
08-25-2007, 02:24 PM
THOR, you might think I haven't responded to you in the Drinking discussions thread but, as a matter of fact, I have. I'm not ignoring you. I edited the first post in the thread as a response to your post. :)
Cool Tom. I am just curious because I have never known the answer.

THOR
08-25-2007, 02:25 PM
You can still be cited for OUI. There are two sub sections. One deals with the limit (.08 in CA) and one deals with impairment. If you are deemed impaired.....you can be cited.
Now I am even more confused. I can understand the impairment issue and not being able to operate regardless of the limit. Is that what you are getting at?

Tom Brown
08-25-2007, 02:26 PM
If you blow over .08 BAC, you will be arrested.
If you blow less than .08 BAC, you might still be arrested based on FSTs and the officer's observations.

THOR
08-25-2007, 02:28 PM
I can see your rationale. As a matter of fact, I have operated under the influence recently. I had a beer when I finished mowing the lawn yesterday around 5:30pm. I went and got dinner around 6:30pm. I was under the influence obviously, but, how much?

THOR
08-25-2007, 02:28 PM
If you blow less than .08 BAC, you might still be arrested based on FSTs and the officer's observations.
Is this where the "impairment" issue arises?

Ultracrazy
08-25-2007, 02:31 PM
Is this where the "impairment" issue arises?
Yes.........someone can blow an .02 and be considered under the influence. As Tom said........thats why the FST. If you blow an .02 and fail the FST....your going to be arrested.

THOR
08-25-2007, 02:32 PM
Yes.........someone can blow an .02 and be considered under the influence. As Tom said........thats why the FST. If you blow an .02 and fail the FST....your going to be arrested.
Got it boys, thanks.

Ultracrazy
08-25-2007, 02:37 PM
Got it boys, thanks.
:D

YeLLowBoaT
08-25-2007, 02:38 PM
Passing within 4' of people in the water, as speed, has some assumptions built in...
1. Alcohol Impairment
2. No Brains Attached to the Helm
3. Blinded by Head Up A$$
so thats all it takes to be a DCB owner. :) :D

OCMerrill
08-25-2007, 02:54 PM
You can't blow a .0anything if one's high on drugs. Hence the FST. Example: a BUI for popping a few to many Vicodin.
Damn Ross...sorry to read this. Last year we did 5 trips to Parker. We felt then that the lack of respect issue was getting a bit over the top and everybody's a tough guy. There is just as big of a chance that those idiots just did not care how close to you they were.
Drunk or not the disrespect deal is on the rise. Or perhaps BOTH issues at play.
Be safe my friend.
Were thinking of two trips in October. After the J-Holes are gone.

Riverkid
08-25-2007, 03:10 PM
Some friends die south of Emerald. Ever see those three flags we put up on the point? Bad deal.
Be careful. Boating at night sucks. :(

Boatcop
08-25-2007, 03:30 PM
Sorry I didn't jump back in here sooner. I was teaching a Boating Safety Class today.
Phone Numbers: For Parker, call 928-669-2281.
This is Central Dispatch for La Paz County. Dispatches Medical and Police/Sheriff, and can transfer to San Bernardino County, if necessary.
Impairment:
The law presumes that one with a .08% alcohol concentration IS impaired.
Between .05% and .08% there is no presumption, but one can be found impaired based on vessel operation, performance on FSTs, etc. (AKA "cheap date")
Below .05% the law presumes that you ARE NOT impaired*.
*Except for those under 21 .00% (Liquor law violation), and commercial boat operators, .04%.
If someone is trashed and has a low BAC, we'll draw blood and drug test.

THOR
08-25-2007, 03:34 PM
Sorry I didn't jump back in here sooner. I was teaching a Boating Safety Class today.
This is Central Dispatch for La Paz County. Dispatches Medical and Police/Sheriff, and can transfer to San Bernardino County, if necessary.
Impairment:
The law presumes that one with a .08% alcohol concentration IS impaired.
Between .05% and .08% there is no presumption, but one can be found impaired based on vessel operation, performance on FSTs, etc. (AKA "cheap date")
Below .05% the law presumes that you ARE NOT impaired*.
*Except for those under 21 .00% (Liquor law violation), and commercial boat operators, .04%.
If someone is trashed and has a low BAC, we'll draw blood and drug test.
Thanks again Alan.

Kyote
08-25-2007, 03:40 PM
[QUOTE=Boatcop;2755235]Sorry I didn't jump back in here sooner. I was teaching a Boating Safety Class today.
Thanks Alan. I just put that number into my cell phone and removed 928-669-4161. Must have been the administrative number.

Boatcop
08-25-2007, 03:48 PM
One other note on drugged driving.
We have Certified DREs (Drug Recognition Experts/Examiners). They can look at eye pupil size, pulse rate, blood pressure, tongue and other spook stuff and tell if a person is under the influence of:
a) Narcotics (Heroin, Oxy, Codeine, etc)
b) Central nervous system depressants (Downers)
c) Stimulants (Meth, speed, cocaine)
d) Cannabis (Marijuana, hash)
Their observations provide the requisite Probable Cause to arrest for Drugged Driving, although a blood/urine test is required for confirmation and conviction.

Boatcop
08-25-2007, 03:50 PM
Thanks Alan. I just put that number into my cell phone and removed 928-669-4161. Must have been the administrative number.
Good thing.
Our Admin # is 669-6141. But it rolls to dispatch after hours and on weekends.

OverKill
08-25-2007, 04:10 PM
Allan what is the dispatch line I can call for Parker strip and Big River?? If I call 911 on my cell phone, it sometimes takes a while to get to the right person. Let me know, I and most of us here will put it in our phone memory.
OverKill

OverKill
08-25-2007, 04:12 PM
DEEDEE DEE disregard. I just saw the post above me. Thanks. I'm sure I will be on the phone a lot with you this week/end.:D

DeathFlightMedic
08-25-2007, 04:30 PM
Better to call LE than have to call me later.

pw_Tony
08-25-2007, 05:05 PM
One other note on drugged driving.
We have Certified DREs (Drug Recognition Experts/Examiners). They can look at eye pupil size, pulse rate, blood pressure, tongue and other spook stuff and tell if a person is under the influence of:
a) Narcotics (Heroin, Oxy, Codeine, etc)
b) Central nervous system depressants (Downers)
c) Stimulants (Meth, speed, cocaine)
d) Cannabis (Marijuana, hash)
Their observations provide the requisite Probable Cause to arrest for Drugged Driving, although a blood/urine test is required for confirmation and conviction.
OK short story followed by a question. I got pulled over in Needles, and the off icer asked if I had been drinking or smoking marijuana. Of course both were a "no". He had a look around my car, but then had me lift up my tongue and he looked in the back of my mouth. What can lookin at my toungue trigger?
ANd yes I got a ticket for no mudflaps

Wet Dream
08-25-2007, 05:14 PM
OK short story followed by a question. I got pulled over in Needles, and the off icer asked if I had been drinking or smoking marijuana. Of course both were a "no". He had a look around my car, but then had me lift up my tongue and he looked in the back of my mouth. What can lookin at my toungue trigger?
He was looking for a tongue stud. :D

ColeTR2
08-25-2007, 05:22 PM
Thanks BC it's now in my Cell..

Moneypitt
08-25-2007, 05:29 PM
Well, that just sucks. But, we also dont need a bunch of vigilantes chasing down boats to make presumptive citizen arrests. Being and asshole doesnt mean you are drunk.
Some people operating in an unsafe manner should be reported to LE. Follow them long enough to get the reg numbers and make the call. Who knows, they may have done the same thing to every boat they passed that day. If enough people reported them LE would do something, even if it was just a warning because LE didn't actually see it happen. Then again, maybe they were all totally drunk and when LE stopped them to issue the warning they would've been arrested for OUI......Tom, as said on the other alcohol post, I do not advocate impared operation, I just have a problem with the way the law is written/enforced..........MP

OverKill
08-25-2007, 05:36 PM
Thanks BC it's now in my Cell..
Me to. So if there are any OUI'ers out there, I'm telling.

thatguy
08-25-2007, 06:16 PM
Lookin' for your stash! Under tongue is popular, can be swallowed in a pinch.
Or maybe a stud! :D
Tommy

SK48
08-25-2007, 07:18 PM
Not to narc on anyone, but have you seen the black & white 34' Advantage party cat in Parker the last few weeks. I hope it is not anyone from Hot Boat. It runs up and down the wrong side of the river at all hours, at a high rate of speed. It left the Keys from around RD's canal on plane a few minutes ago. Just glad no one was going up the river when it exited the Keys. Oh, by the way nice people on the boat, I gave them the thumbs down signal, and they all gave me a one finger salute. Be careful tonight.

Boatcop
08-25-2007, 07:48 PM
One of the things smoking Marijuana does is raise the taste buds from the tongue. They look like little skin tags or bumps sticking out. It also gives a slightly greenish tint to the tongue and mucus membranes of the mouth.

pw_Tony
08-25-2007, 07:50 PM
One of the things smoking Marijuana does is raise the taste buds from the tongue. They look like little skin tags or bumps sticking out. It also gives a slightly greenish tint to the tongue and mucus membranes of the mouth.
Great now everytime I think someones high I'm going to be staring at their tongue ;)

boatsnblondes
08-25-2007, 08:45 PM
I gotta ask...I been boat ing since I was four or five....driving the boat since my teens...one thing my dad taught me was to raise my arm up in the air to let people know that you see them in the water...nothing scarier than a boat coming at you with no arm up....does anyone extend that courtesy anymore??
Another thing..everyone, just stay home this weekend.....I don't want to read any more bad posts on here about bad stuff....stay home, swim drink by the pool, relax....keep your kids filled with hot dogs and whatever else....you can go another weekend...
For those of you who do go....take water with you, it's the only thing that actually WORKS in that heat....
I'm out, vector is IN this weekend.....be safe, come back Sunday night, tell us how your weekend went....:D

pw_Tony
08-25-2007, 08:48 PM
I have always Rasied my Hand as high as I can to let a skier or boarder know I see them.
I try to raise it even higher when it's me on the rope! Looks like I'm reaching for the sky.

ULTRA26 # 1
08-25-2007, 08:52 PM
I gotta ask...I been boat ing since I was four or five....driving the boat since my teens...one thing my dad taught me was to raise my arm up in the air to let people know that you see them in the water...nothing scarier than a boat coming at you with no arm up....does anyone extend that courtesy anymore??
Another thing..everyone, just stay home this weekend.....I don't want to read any more bad posts on here about bad stuff....stay home, swim drink by the pool, relax....keep your kids filled with hot dogs and whatever else....you can go another weekend...
For those of you who do go....take water with you, it's the only thing that actually WORKS in that heat....
I'm out, vector is IN this weekend.....be safe, come back Sunday night, tell us how your weekend went....:D
Always signal boats that are stopped with an up arm. Boats underway always get a wave. :)

OCMerrill
08-25-2007, 08:58 PM
Yes, everytime. Always. As we approach any boat with an orange flag up, I'll slow down, move away, scope the water until I see the swimmer and then up goes my arm. I've had a lot of people ask me why I do that. I can't even remember where I learned it.
That's how I was raised. Pops still does it. I do it. Some folks wave thanks and some just blank stare.
I can almost guarantee (with exception of maybe TPC and a few other peeps here) that a wakeboard boat's driver will almost NEVER wave thanks for it.
To me its just part of boating in closeness such as on the Strip.

OCMerrill
08-25-2007, 09:00 PM
I like to hold up a frosty Coors Light, so they know we like to party. :D
RD told you that I would guess...:D

ULTRA26 # 1
08-25-2007, 09:04 PM
I like to hold up a frosty Coors Light, so they know we like to party. :D
That's one way to get them out of the water :D :D

OCMerrill
08-25-2007, 09:14 PM
Always signal boats that are stopped with an up arm. Boats underway always get a wave. :)
You Brea peeps are always so friendly.:)
I live in S. OC now so if a boat is in front of me doing 70... I ride their ass until they move over.
Driving a car down here has trained me right. :eek: :) :D

THOR
08-25-2007, 09:34 PM
Yes, everytime. Always. As we approach any boat with an orange flag up, I'll slow down, move away, scope the water until I see the swimmer and then up goes my arm. I've had a lot of people ask me why I do that. I can't even remember where I learned it.
Finally somebody understands what the arm up means. Dumbasses in rollbar boats dont get it and dont care to. These morons either look at you wierdly or wave like "hi there neighbor". I simply dont understand what happen to the boating community when they started making wakeboards and wakeboard boat.

ULTRA26 # 1
08-26-2007, 07:37 AM
You Brea peeps are always so friendly.:)
I live in S. OC now so if a boat is in front of me doing 70... I ride their ass until they move over.
Driving a car down here has trained me right. :eek: :) :D
N. County isn't any better these days. :D

INSman
08-26-2007, 08:49 AM
I think it would be nice to have the most direct phone numbers we can to get to LEO on the water in Havasu and Parker and program into the cell phone for easy and quick access. Can you please provide ??

Boatcop
08-26-2007, 09:37 AM
I think it would be nice to have the most direct phone numbers we can to get to LEO on the water in Havasu and Parker and program into the cell phone for easy and quick access. Can you please provide ??
Parker: (All Medical, Police & Sheriff) - 928-669-2281
Lake Havasu City: (Police) 928-855-4111
(Fire) 928-855-1141
Mohave County Sheriff: 928-764-3535
San Bernardino County: (Sheriff) 760-326-9200
(Fire/Rescue) 909-822-8071

boatsnblondes
08-26-2007, 10:09 AM
Well, I'm glad that you guys are still doing it..old school to the max...but it's easy and it works....BC, never met you, but your just a hell of a great guy...stay safe this weekend....:D

Ultracrazy
08-26-2007, 10:30 AM
Same here........it's funny the reactions you get. But you can always tell the "old school" types. They give you that thumbs up as in "job well done."

lalhc
08-26-2007, 10:33 AM
That's the way I was taught and now I am passing this same lesson on to my 13 yr old son.

mbrown2
08-26-2007, 10:40 AM
I was taught to raise your hand when you see a skier, boarder, tuber in the water and there is the possibility of a rope in the water; flag up or no flag....(should be a flag up though)...
I was not taught to raise my hand when there was a swimmer in the water...flag or no flag....I thought the flag should only be up if there was a skier, tuber, boarder or rope in the water...
Boatcop, could you clarify when the flag should be up?

skyskier
08-26-2007, 11:53 AM
I think MAYBE this is exactly what we need! This past June, while skiing my grandkids off a beach, two asshole standup jetskiers came blasting by at 30 or 40 mph, well within 50 feet of my boat, WAY TOO CLOSE for the condition and circumstance IMO, made the turn in the back of the cove and headed back out, even closer and faster yet to another guy's boat across the way. As they went by the other guy, there were words and sign language exchanged and the other guy took off after the 2 jerkoffs. I unhooked the ski line and followed along. Once we followed them back to their beach, the other guy stayed there and I went back out and tracked down the "law enforcement" ranger, Mike Dodson and led him back to the jetski guy's beach. BOTH these assholes were cited for "unsafe operation of a PWC, within un-safe proximity of another vessel" . Personaly I would have been up for a good old fashion ass kicking, maybe their's or maybe ours?, but an ass kickin was definitely called for. The point here? LE will respond if you're willing to take the time & make the effort. Someone on another thread suggested forming a "group" of same boaters, wearing identifiable shirts maybe or flying a flag of somekind or a sticker on the boats...........whatever..........while we were only 4 to these guy's party of 16, by the time we caught them, "talking time " was over, a little backup would have been nice, but would NOT have changed anything. Mike Dodson's cell # is 928 706 1957, If he does not answer, he does check his messages , it may take awhile but he will show up or send a closer unit. Dodson is BLM law enforcement ranger NOT PD. BLM field office is 928 505 1200, they also will send out a responding unit. LHC Police Dept. 928 855 4111. On the subject of " vigilantes chasing down boats ".... if you think back to days when these people handled things, when NO LE was available, (kinda like Havasu on a regular weekend) you could send your kid down to the store to pick up a quart of milk & a paper with NO worries about some REPEAT sex offender molesting them, you could send them to a public restroom at the beach with NO fear of some pervert molesting them, you could leave your front door open at night, you could tie your horse out front & KNOW it was gonna be there when you came back out, you could actually walk down the street at night in relative safety, etc., etc.,

Boatcop
08-26-2007, 12:36 PM
I was taught to raise your hand when you see a skier, boarder, tuber in the water and there is the possibility of a rope in the water; flag up or no flag....(should be a flag up though)...
I was not taught to raise my hand when there was a swimmer in the water...flag or no flag....I thought the flag should only be up if there was a skier, tuber, boarder or rope in the water...
Boatcop, could you clarify when the flag should be up?
The flag issue is a little different under California and Arizona Law. California law states that the flag must be displayed whenever a skier or ski rope is down in the water.
Arizona states that the flag should be displayed whenever the skier is down. No mention of a ski rope. This issue was enhanced by a Court decision in Yavapai County, and upheld on appeal.
Here was the situation.
Boat "A" is stopped in the water. Ski rope in the water, skier sitting on the back of the boat, ski flag up and well visible.
Boat "B" comes by and snares the ski rope, stretching it to it's limit and causing it to part, hurling the metal pulley on the bridle into the face of a young girl, causing severe facial injuries and loss of sight in one eye.
Parents of the girl sues both boat operators for damages, medical bills, pain and suffering, etc.
Boat "A" says that they had the ski flag up, and the other boat was negligent for running over the ski rope.
Boat "B" says that they saw the flag, but they also saw that the skier was on board the boat. because there was no skier in the water there shouldn't have been a rope in the water.
The court applied the "reasonable person" doctrine and concluded that a reasonable person in the same situation would presume that, since the skier was on board the boat, that skiing had ceased and there would be no reason for the rope to be out. They also noted a lack of reference to the ski rope in the Arizona Ski flag statute.
They dismissed Boat "B" from the suit, ruling that Boat "A" was 100% liable for damages.
Based on that decision, a ski rope trailing from a boat with no skier down in the water constitutes a "Hazard to Navigation". At least in Arizona.
So the simple answer is:
When the skier is up, the flag is down. When the skier is down, the flag is up. And pull in the rope whenever there's no skier in the water.
As far as raising your hand to acknowledge the ski flag, it's a courtesy, and not required by any law.
But please. Have only the driver raise their hand. It does no good for a passenger(s) to do it, as the driver may not see the skier down. And the driver is the only one that matters.

DILLIGAF
08-26-2007, 12:42 PM
The flag issue is a little different under California and Arizona Law. California law states that the flag must be displayed whenever a skier or ski rope is down in the water.
Arizona states that the flag should be displayed whenever the skier is down. No mention of a ski rope. This issue was enhanced by a Court decision in Yavapai County, and upheld on appeal.
Here was the situation.
Boat "A" is stopped in the water. Ski rope in the water, skier sitting on the back of the boat, ski flag up and well visible.
Boat "B" comes by and snares the ski rope, stretching it to it's limit and causing it to part, hurling the metal pulley on the bridle into the face of a young girl, causing severe facial injuries and loss of sight in one eye.
Parents of the girl sues both boat operators for damages, medical bills, pain and suffering, etc.
Boat "A" says that they had the ski flag up, and the other boat was negligent for running over the ski rope.
Boat "B" says that they saw the flag, but they also saw that the skier was on board the boat. because there was no skier in the water there shouldn't have been a rope in the water.
The court applied the "reasonable person" doctrine and concluded that a reasonable person in the same situation would presume that, since the skier was on board the boat, that skiing had ceased and there would be no reason for the rope to be out. They also noted a lack of reference to the ski rope in the Arizona Ski flag statute.
They dismissed Boat "B" from the suit, ruling that Boat "A" was 100% liable for damages.
Based on that decision, a ski rope trailing from a boat with no skier down in the water constitutes a "Hazard to Navigation". At least in Arizona.
So the simple answer is:
When the skier is up, the flag is down. When the skier is down, the flag is up. And pull in the rope whenever there's no skier in the water.
As far as raising your hand to acknowledge the ski flag, it's a courtesy, and not required by any law.
But please. Have only the driver raise their hand. It does no good for a passenger(s) to do it, as the driver may not see the skier down. And the driver is the only one that matters.
Alan....I have been saying that for years. So what if the passenger has his hand up if the driver does not see them. The only one that really matters is the driver. Thank you for stating this.

THOR
08-26-2007, 12:49 PM
I think MAYBE this is exactly what we need! This past June, while skiing my grandkids off a beach, two asshole standup jetskiers came blasting by at 30 or 40 mph, well within 50 feet of my boat, WAY TOO CLOSE for the condition and circumstance IMO, made the turn in the back of the cove and headed back out, even closer and faster yet to another guy's boat across the way. As they went by the other guy, there were words and sign language exchanged and the other guy took off after the 2 jerkoffs. I unhooked the ski line and followed along. Once we followed them back to their beach, the other guy stayed there and I went back out and tracked down the "law enforcement" ranger, Mike Dodson and led him back to the jetski guy's beach. BOTH these assholes were cited for "unsafe operation of a PWC, within un-safe proximity of another vessel" . Personaly I would have been up for a good old fashion ass kicking, maybe their's or maybe ours?, but an ass kickin was definitely called for. The point here? LE will respond if you're willing to take the time & make the effort. Someone on another thread suggested forming a "group" of same boaters, wearing identifiable shirts maybe or flying a flag of somekind or a sticker on the boats...........whatever..........while we were only 4 to these guy's party of 16, by the time we caught them, "talking time " was over, a little backup would have been nice, but would NOT have changed anything. Mike Dodson's cell # is 928 706 1957, If he does not answer, he does check his messages , it may take awhile but he will show up or send a closer unit. Dodson is BLM law enforcement ranger NOT PD. BLM field office is 928 505 1200, they also will send out a responding unit. LHC Police Dept. 928 855 4111. On the subject of " vigilantes chasing down boats ".... if you think back to days when these people handled things, when NO LE was available, (kinda like Havasu on a regular weekend) you could send your kid down to the store to pick up a quart of milk & a paper with NO worries about some REPEAT sex offender molesting them, you could send them to a public restroom at the beach with NO fear of some pervert molesting them, you could leave your front door open at night, you could tie your horse out front & KNOW it was gonna be there when you came back out, you could actually walk down the street at night in relative safety, etc., etc.,
If the officer didnt see them do it, then how could he have issued a citation? That is a lawsuit waiting to happen. Hell, I'm not even a lawyer and I know that.

Boatcop
08-26-2007, 12:51 PM
If the officer didnt see them do it, then how could he have issued a citation? That is a lawsuit waiting to happen. Hell, I'm not even a lawyer and I know that.
We subpoena the witnesses to court and testify if needed.
Cops never see people murder other people either, but we arrest them all the time.

skyskier
08-26-2007, 02:15 PM
I don't know? MAYBE FOUR eyewitness's, ALL willing & leaving contact info to appear in court if need be? I gave you the citing officers contact info.....call him? It just makes sense to me IF enough people would give up an hour or two on the beach to FOLLOW THROUGH on something like this, word might get around that you can't pull this kind of crap. I realize it's a BIG lake and there is only so much LE can do with limited resources, but if you 1. DO NOTHING,...... it's gonna KEEP getting worse: 2. Go ahead and chase the jerks down, bitch slap them a couple times, You'll be the one in the court system, ( It's called assault & battery, and NO FUN.....) OR, 3. GET INVOLVED and see it through. BTW, I've been boating/skiing Havasu since the early 60's, this is the 3rd weekend in a row Me & Mine have stayed home. Next weekend will be the 4th, we are all hoping to come back AFTER labor day, in hopes the crowds of IDIOTS has thinned out.

boatsnblondes
08-26-2007, 05:01 PM
Alan, ever thought of adding the hand raisiing to boater safety course?? Would be a huge help to us for the newbies to understand the way it works out there....stead of the blank stares....:eek:

THOR
08-26-2007, 05:34 PM
We subpoena the witnesses to court and testify if needed.
Cops never see people murder other people either, but we arrest them all the time.
I wasnt calling BS on you Alan, just on the hearsay of the person that was referred to. I know all about fact witnesses and percipient witnesses. You cant just point the finger at some dude and think cops will arrest at will.

jbtrailerjim
08-26-2007, 07:12 PM
I do this everytime I see a boat with skier, boarder...etc in the water. I learned it from my dad also.

OCMerrill
08-26-2007, 07:40 PM
The talk of the Ski rope Alan brings another level of common courtesy into play.
We pull the rope in as were pulling along side of the skier. All at the same time. There is absolutely NO REASON to leave 75 feet of rope out behind the boat in the water without someone holding the end of it.
Even if the same skier is changing skis or whatever then the handle is right ready for departure.:D Grab hold and jump back in.
It comes down to training your crew to work the drivers program. When we boat we do so planning on the very same fun the next day.

mbrown2
08-27-2007, 08:59 PM
Thanks for the clarification Alan....and the driver with the hand up only makes sense and something I was taught as well..
One more question, what about folks just floating by the dam with swimmers in the water with a flag up? Any problem with that....I always thought the flag was exclusively for someone actively engaged in a water sport, excluding swimming...

mbrown2
08-27-2007, 09:42 PM
Honestly, I would rather have a flag up when anybody is in the water. The last thing I want to do is run somebody over that I don't see because they're floating 50' away from their boat with no flag up. Just my opinion.
I hear you...just wondering what the law reads....I was told it was illegal to have the flag up if you had a swimmer (non-skier,boarder,tuber) in the water just floating..

boatnam2
08-28-2007, 04:51 AM
Not to narc on anyone, but have you seen the black & white 34' Advantage party cat in Parker the last few weeks. I hope it is not anyone from Hot Boat. It runs up and down the wrong side of the river at all hours, at a high rate of speed. It left the Keys from around RD's canal on plane a few minutes ago. Just glad no one was going up the river when it exited the Keys. Oh, by the way nice people on the boat, I gave them the thumbs down signal, and they all gave me a one finger salute. Be careful tonight.
i have seen him a few times.

shueman
08-28-2007, 06:24 AM
I hear you...just wondering what the law reads....I was told it was illegal to have the flag up if you had a swimmer (non-skier,boarder,tuber) in the water just floating..
If we're swimming in the water, around the boat, we always display a flag. Recently switched both a hand-held (bimini clip'd) and a transom light pole of this one:
http://www.dive-flag.com/flag-images/dive-flag.gif

RaceFace
08-28-2007, 07:51 AM
As the driver of a boat, if I come upon a flag/skier in the water, I slow down (from about 40-45), shoot wide around them, raise my hand and try to make eye contact with the other drive and the person in the water. I have always felt you cant be too safe.
Just my .02 ;)