PDA

View Full Version : new project- Bonneville car

steelcomp
08-25-2007, 10:58 AM
Thought you guys might like to see some pics of a new project I'm working on. I've been invited to come on board as a fabricator to help get this car ready for next year. It's owned and being built by Seth Hammond, in Goleta, CA (Santa Barbara) completely in house, except for the body. The engine is a 540ci BB Chev. N/A for now, but eventually with twin turbos. The engine builder is Lee Gustofson.
The body will be composite, and is completely computer designed by Seth's son, Channing (as is much of the car). It will be built using the same techniques (and by the same company) as used in aircraft composite fuselages.
The chassis is a rear engine, dragster style ladder construction. You can see a computer image of the body on the wall behind the car, and a model of the body on top of the engine. Note the 30' long, 2" thick steel layout table.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/hammond_004.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/hammond_005.JPG
Rear of the car consists of a live axle located by fully adjustable four link w/ panhard bar on coilovers. Trans is an air shifted Liberty 5 spd.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/hammond_006.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/hammond_001.JPG
If there's enough interest, I'll keep pics coming as the project progresses.

Moneypitt
08-25-2007, 11:26 AM
Scott, I'll be at Bonneville 9-11 thru 9-15 to assist with a 2.0 liter streamliner. The salt is a whole other world, sort of humbling in the grand scheem of things. A huge expanse of nothing, nothing at all, and the Utah flats are spit in the bucket compared to the salt flats down under...Good luck with the project, but most important, have fun..........Ray

steelcomp
08-25-2007, 11:47 AM
Seth has a Mod. Roadster that he had out there last week, but had a nuclear meltdown in the engine. (Computer told the DFI to go rich-lean-rich-lean...it didn't like that at all!) They're suppose to be back ourt there again, though. I think they hold the D Mod. Roadster record at 271.
I haven't been on the salt since '86. It's like being on another planet!
Good luck and be safe.

Unchained
08-25-2007, 02:10 PM
Awesome project, way more involved than a boat.
I used to race sand drags and built a few frames and TIG welded them up.
Tubing is a real challenge to bend and fit up right.

oldselmn8tr
08-25-2007, 06:36 PM
Very cool project keep us updated and the pic's are always great. What type off speeds are they shooting for?

steelcomp
08-25-2007, 07:35 PM
Very cool project keep us updated and the pic's are always great. What type off speeds are they shooting for?
probably 350+.

GofastRacer
08-25-2007, 07:55 PM
That is very cool, best of luck and have a blast with it!..:cool:

LakesOnly
08-26-2007, 05:33 PM
That car looks like it will be badass.
I haven't been to Bonnevile but would like to go, maybe next year (spectate). I have spent some time at
El Mirage with Billy's streamliner. El Mirage is only a 1-1/3 mile track which doesn't have the get-up-and-go room
of Bonneville (Bonneville's track can be three times the length of El Mirage); this year we've managed
227 mph (Unblown Fuel) on the short El Mirage course. The car's overall powertrain/setup calculates out
to a 350 mph capability, but certainly not at El Mirage! :D
It's such a different game than drag racing; Drag racing uses big gooey slicks while the streamliner's tires need
to be skinny....but this makes getting traction much more difficult; lighten the car in drag racing...while we
add ballast to the car for traction; asphalt offers traction, while salt/clay doen't have anything to offer in regards
to traction, etc.
I would love for Billy to take the car to Bonneville, but several hurdles (in addition to most everyone elses
typical) prevent us from just picking up and going.
Good luck, http://www.fordforums.com/images/smilies/thumbsup.gif
LO

Big Kahunaa
08-26-2007, 06:13 PM
kick ass save the salt
we will be at El Mirage in sept we are going to camp up there

billet racing 1
08-27-2007, 11:16 PM
I just went there a few weeks ago for the first time. Best way to discribe my experience, " Same addiction, different drug"
Yeah, I'd go back again.
Jerry

N281PONY
08-29-2007, 08:01 PM
I tried to go see the flats one time......but all I saw was a sign and a big lake.:)

steelcomp
08-29-2007, 08:43 PM
I tried to go see the flats one time......but all I saw was a sign and a big lake.:)LOL...yeah, that's one of the challanges of Bonneville, is the weather.
It can be sunny in the pits, and raining on the course, or the other way around. The wind can dry the track in a few hours, or it can sit under an inch of water all week. Ya just never know.

Boostedballs
08-30-2007, 01:16 PM
That car is going to be a thrill!
I am a SCTA member and I was going to race my turbocharged Injected LT1 Chevy Monza this year but I am dealing with job-related delays instead.
Hmm, go 200+ on the flats or go zero behind a desk?
I chose poorly...

LandSpeedRacer
08-30-2007, 01:56 PM
Hey, nice project, looks like you guys are having fun. Out of curiousity, what tires are you running to go 350+? I've got a pair of Allstates (still looking for 2 more), good to 300, but want to go faster. Even the 300's were expensive and hard to find.
We are building a 1948 Crosley Competition Coupe. It is the old #904 Freeland and Corcoran supercharged Corvair Comp Coupe that ran 1974 and 1975. Originally, I built the engine in my flat for the Crosley and needed a place to test it: my 1970 Super Sanger. We are having so much fun doing the hot boat thing - the salt can wait another year. Besides, I'm still trying to get the 4-turbo set up to work with the v-drive. The engine loves RPM and hates the bite of the prop. I thought I would have more trouble trying to get 4 turbos to work, and as it turns out, that has not been the problem at all. Runs great. It is transmitting the power to the water that has been the challenge. Before I go to a transmission I'm trying other ideas that won't add so much weight. Still fun trying new stuff though. We will run a 4-speed with a Halibrand quick change on the salt. Starting chassis fab probably in October. We'll leave Shiver Shot together and build a new engine combo with all the lessons learned.
Hope to see you guys out there in '08 or 09. You know how it is, Speed is money, how fast do you want to go?
Good luck to you guys.
Scott

RitcheyRch
08-30-2007, 04:00 PM
Nice little project there and please keep posting pictures.

steelcomp
08-30-2007, 08:50 PM
Boostedballs...I know what you're saying...sometimes we wish our choices were more of a choice than they really are.
Is the Monza your creation? I think I remember seeing one or two out there before.
LSR...I'm not sure about tires. Goodyear funnycar front runners I think, on the front, but I don't know about the rears. I know tires are a huge issue with these speeds.
Isn't it always the case, getting the power to the surface-what ever it is. Water, dirt, salt, asphalt. Your boat is off the hook, and if your car turns out anything lke it, I'll want to see that.
We're planning on being in the inspection line come Speedweek '08. Hope to see ya around.
RitcheyRch...thanks. The pics will come slowly, and can't give away too much detail. I already got busted for posting these. :D (Thanks Danny...LOL)

LandSpeedRacer
08-31-2007, 05:05 AM
Thanks man:D
I have front runners too but was not sure if I could run them up to 300. The Allstates are for the rear, and I am looking for some steel 6-pin rims to go with my (Sprint Car) live axle quick change.
Keep us posted, I'm always interested in B-ville cars.
Don't know if you are aware, look to he salt later in Sept and Oct for Steve Fossett / Richard Branson and Craig Breedlove's old hot rod - trying to crack 1000mph and bring back the lsr to the USA.
Also, North American Eagle can't be ruled out as well as my buddy Waldo Stakes and Sonic Wind.
Have a safe weekend.
LSR

steelcomp
08-31-2007, 06:03 AM
Thanks man:D
I have front runners too but was not sure if I could run them up to 300. The Allstates are for the rear, and I am looking for some steel 6-pin rims to go with my (Sprint Car) live axle quick change.
Keep us posted, I'm always interested in B-ville cars.
Don't know if you are aware, look to he salt later in Sept and Oct for Steve Fossett / Richard Branson and Craig Breedlove's old hot rod - trying to crack 1000mph and bring back the lsr to the USA.
Also, North American Eagle can't be ruled out as well as my buddy Waldo Stakes and Sonic Wind.
Have a safe weekend.
LSR
Thanks for that heads up. I've been "off the salt" for several years so just getting back in the mainstream.
The front runners were all anyone had in production to go 300 a few years back. I was in the middle of all that when Llingenfilter, Pitts, and a few others were trying for ther 300mph stock body record. I built a Firebird for John Raines with a turbo V6 that ran (I think) 296, and shattered the production record. At that time there were a few stock body cars, I think three Firebirds and Cook's T Bird, that were knocking on 300. They were mostly using the front runners, some on all four corners. I remember after one run in the 290's, Lingenfelter came back with two shredded rear tires. It was decided that the front runners weren't up to 1000+hp as drivers. I'll know moere about tires after the weekend.

LandSpeedRacer
08-31-2007, 06:41 AM
I too have seen some guys run Frontrunners on the rear, and they do not handle it. The other bad thing is the diameter being small really keeps the speed down. The Allstates I have are right off the Superbird LSR car, still mounted and balanced. I may just drill my 6-pin hubs to accept them or swap axles. We'll see come Sprint Car swap meet time . . . . :idea: :idea: :idea: I also need to change my ring and pinion, I am running a 4.86 and have a set of 30K gears, which if set up low gives me a 8.42 low end and a high gear of 2.80. If I go to a 4.11 I will have a high gear of 2.37. A 3.73 R&P would be much better yet . . . . :idea: With the tall tires, if you guys are out there maybe you can give me a push:D
For some real good reading and a VERY helpful and good LSR resource, go to Sonicwind.com. Waldo will answer anything and is a very approachable and great guy. He is one of the last of the liquid fuel rocket guys who really knows his sh_t when it comes to going over 300mph. His latest project will blow your mind. He has great ideas on LSR design and if you have anything you are unsure of as far as design and safety, ask him, I am sure he would help. Great guy and a big hot boat fan.
Scott

franky
08-31-2007, 06:19 PM
Scott, I'll be at Bonneville 9-11 thru 9-15 to assist with a 2.0 liter streamliner. The salt is a whole other world, sort of humbling in the grand scheem of things. A huge expanse of nothing, nothing at all, and the Utah flats are spit in the bucket compared to the salt flats down under...Good luck with the project, but most important, have fun..........Ray
Who's car Ray?

steelcomp
09-01-2007, 09:23 PM
I too have seen some guys run Frontrunners on the rear, and they do not handle it. The other bad thing is the diameter being small really keeps the speed down. The Allstates I have are right off the Superbird LSR car, still mounted and balanced. I may just drill my 6-pin hubs to accept them or swap axles. We'll see come Sprint Car swap meet time . . . . :idea: :idea: :idea: I also need to change my ring and pinion, I am running a 4.86 and have a set of 30K gears, which if set up low gives me a 8.42 low end and a high gear of 2.80. If I go to a 4.11 I will have a high gear of 2.37. A 3.73 R&P would be much better yet . . . . :idea: With the tall tires, if you guys are out there maybe you can give me a push:D
For some real good reading and a VERY helpful and good LSR resource, go to Sonicwind.com. Waldo will answer anything and is a very approachable and great guy. He is one of the last of the liquid fuel rocket guys who really knows his sh_t when it comes to going over 300mph. His latest project will blow your mind. He has great ideas on LSR design and if you have anything you are unsure of as far as design and safety, ask him, I am sure he would help. Great guy and a big hot boat fan.
Scott True that about the small diameter. I had to install a very rare ring and pinion in the Firebird...I think it was a 2:31 or something like that (highest ratio they could make on the gear machine for a 12 bolt rear) knowing we were going to run the front runners on the rear. Ran a Jerico four speed with a 1:1 fourth, and an overdriven third. :idea:
I looked around the shop and all I can find for rears is M/T Bonneville's. I don't know if that's what's going on the Lakester, but they're on the MR.
I'll check out Sonicwind. Sounds interesting. Thanks for that.