PDA

View Full Version : Another carb clean up question...

BarryMac
02-23-2006, 09:07 AM
Didn't want to jack Nauti II's thread so I will start a new one, I am bringing my boat home this weekend to service it, I am having a slight hesitation problem when I first get on the gas, I was told that the carb may be a just a little bit gummed up and to use a Carb cleaner on it? I also heard that I should change the spark plugs after using any kind of carb cleaner, is this true? If so I will buy new plugs and change them after I clean the carb.
Thanks for your replies...

IMPATIENT 1
02-23-2006, 09:24 AM
Maybe A Accelerator Pump. The Pump Gives The Motor Alittle Shot Of Fuel That Gives A Signal To The Boosters To Flow Fuel.pump The Lingage A Couple Times And See If It Squirts Fuel Into The Barrells.if It Doesn't,check The Pump.
I Change My Plugs Yearly.it's Only 15.00 For A Set.plugs And Oil Change The 1st Time Out,oil Change Every 4th Time To The Lake.just Cheap Insurance To Keep Good Oil In It.

Moneypitt
02-23-2006, 10:17 AM
With the engine off, air clearner off, and carb undistrubed, no action at all, Very slightly crack the throttle bores in the primary, maybe a 1/16th of an inch while watching the nozzle. It should squirt, not alot, but it should squirt. If it doesn't, and has to be exercised once or twice to "prime" the acc pump circuit, there is your problem. Not necessarily the acc pump diaphram it's self, but the little check ball/or needle looking thing UNDER the nozzle. If that gets gummed up, it will allow the pump circuit to "bleed off", and there will be no gas at the nozzle for the above test. Remember, the slightest movement of the throttle shaft should squirt. There are no exceptions to this requirement. No squirt, you get a stumble until you hit it again, then the fuel has re primed the nozzle, and it seems fine.....Until the next time you give it gas.......Ray

maxwedge
02-23-2006, 12:40 PM
I've never heard about the need to change the spark plugs after using carb cleaner. Unless you fouled one and it isn't firing anymore or something. I would think any deposits would just burn off.
My carb cleaner tip of the day:
DO NOT EVER ACCIDENTLY SPRAY CARB CLEANER ONTO THE TOP OF THE HEI DISTRIBUTER IN YOUR JEEP CJ-5 WHILE IT IS RUNNING AFTER YOU HAVE ALSO JUST SOAKED THE WHOLE CARBURATOR AND THE TOP OF THE ENGINE WITH CARB CLEANER !
This could result in a very large fire right under a large maple tree and also about three feet from the house. You may then realize that your rental house doesn't have a faucet or a hose outside, and being a poor college student, you might not own a fire exinguisher or a bucket either. Also, since you just moved in, your phone might not be hooked up yet. This will suck. :220v: If that's not bad enough, Your asshole religious freak neighbor may then come over to chastise you for running around the front yard yelling and swearing. He might somehow not notice the 12 foot high pillar of bright oarnge flames shooting into the tree ten feet away from the him. He might also ignore such seemingly simple questions like "Do you have a fire Extinguisher?" "Do you have a F%&king bucket?" "will you please call the fire dept?" "What the F^&k is wrong with you? Can't you see that big ass fire?" Instead this man will say "My wife and daughter don't need to hear that kind of language from you." with a kind of scary blank look on his face.
At this point, if you are lucky, the girl next store might come running over with a lawn sprinkler that seems to be permanantly attached to a hose but which somehow puts out the huge fire in about 2 minutes. Your asshole neighbor, who did nothing helpfull during all this, will probably just stand there and say: "Wasn't really that big of a deal now was it? If you had just asked politely..." You will likely feel like killing him at this point. :mad:
I'm not saying it happened, :D but just be aware that it could.

NautiII
02-23-2006, 04:45 PM
I've never heard about the need to change the spark plugs after using carb cleaner. Unless you fouled one and it isn't firing anymore or something. I would think any deposits would just burn off.
DO NOT EVER ACCIDENTLY SPRAY CARB CLEANER ONTO THE TOP THE HEI DISTRIBUTER IN YOUR JEEP CJ-5 WHILE IT IS RUNNING AFTER YOU HAVE ALSO JUST SOAKED THE WHOLE CARBURATOR AND THE TOP OF THE ENGINE WITH CARB CLEANER !
This could result in a very large fire right under a large maple tree and also about three feet from the house. You may then realize that your rental house doesn't have a faucet or a hose outside, and being a poor college student, you might not own a fire exinguisher or a bucket either. Also, since you just moved in, your phone might not be hooked up yet. This will suck. :220v: If that's not bad enough, Your asshole religious freak neighbor may then come over to chastise you for running around the front yard yelling and swearing. He might somehow not notice the 12 foot high pillar of bright oarnge flames shooting into the tree ten feet away from the him. He might also ignore such seemingly simple questions like "Do you have a fire Extinguisher?" "Do you have a F%&king bucket?" "will you please call the fire dept?" "What the F^&k is wrong with you? Can't you see that big ass fire?" Instead this man will say "My wife and daughter don't need to hear that kind of language from you." with a kind of scary blank look on his face.
At this point, if you are lucky, the girl next store might come running over with a lawn sprinkler that seems to be permanantly attached to a hose but which somehow puts out the huge fire in about 2 minutes. Your asshole neighbor who did nothing helpfull during all this, will probably just stand there and say. Wasn't really that big of a deal now was it? If you had just asked politely..." You will likely feel like killing him at this point. :mad:
That is a way funny story. not laughing at you at all, just the way the story was relayed!!!

bakerjet
02-23-2006, 08:56 PM
when you say get on the gas do you mean to move the boat around or take off haulinass? what style of carb?

maxwedge
02-24-2006, 12:50 AM
That is a way funny story. not laughing at you at all, just the way the story was relayed!!!
Yeah it is pretty funny in retrospect. That was a few years back now. I've had a whole new respect for Jet-spray Gumout ever since then.
The Jeep survived fine after some new wiring and hoses and a distributer cap. When I sold it a year or so later the guy asked "So have you done anything to it?" and I'm thinking to myself: "Well, I lit it on fire and let it burn for a few minutes.." Instead I just told him I had replaced some of the hoses and stuff under the hood. :D

SmokinLowriderSS
02-24-2006, 01:57 AM
THATis some funny sheet Mazwedge! ROFLMAO. Fine way to tell a story. :rollside:

Wicked Performance Boats
02-24-2006, 05:09 AM
DO NOT EVER ACCIDENTLY SPRAY CARB CLEANER ONTO THE TOP OF THE HEI DISTRIBUTER IN YOUR JEEP CJ-5 WHILE IT IS RUNNING AFTER YOU HAVE ALSO JUST SOAKED THE WHOLE CARBURATOR AND THE TOP OF THE ENGINE WITH CARB CLEANER !
At this point, if you are lucky, the girl next store might come running over with a lawn sprinkler that seems to be permanantly attached to a hose but which somehow puts out the huge fire in about 2 minutes. Your asshole neighbor, who did nothing helpfull during all this, will probably just stand there and say: "Wasn't really that big of a deal now was it? If you had just asked politely..." You will likely feel like killing him at this point. :mad:
Could we have a reenactment video? That would be fun to watch! BL

BarryMac
02-24-2006, 07:01 AM
when you say get on the gas do you mean to move the boat around or take off haulinass? what style of carb?
To take off, just idling it runs fine but once I hammer it to get up on plane and get moving there is that slight hesitation. I wish I could tell you who makes the carb, I've looked and there is no markings on it, I can tell you that it is a 4 barrel.

Cas
02-24-2006, 08:02 AM
If it's a double pumper, it could be putting too much gas into the engine. If you start out slower, does it still have the hesitation or is it only when you hammer it?
Double pumpers are mechanical secondaries so when you hammer it all 4 barrels are dumping gas into the engine. Until you get moving, there isn't enough air to mix with all that gas thus a hesitation. Just another thought.

bakerjet
02-24-2006, 07:45 PM
sounds like a vacume secondary that needs a heavier spring! how about a pic.

Moneypitt
02-25-2006, 12:31 AM
This thread took an enormus dump straight into the firey toilet.....of some F****** jeep, probably an American motors jeep a that......Sorry I wasted anyones time trying to figure out a BOATS problem.......MP

bakerjet
02-25-2006, 03:26 PM
huh?

SmokinLowriderSS
02-25-2006, 04:08 PM
This thread took an enormus dump straight into the firey toilet.....of some F****** jeep, probably an American motors jeep a that......Sorry I wasted anyones time trying to figure out a BOATS problem.......MP
It was relevant.................... sorta ................ :p
It was about the potential hazzards of missusing carburetor cleaner, in the midst of a "dirty carburetor" thread. :idea:
And it WAS damned funny. :crossx:

maxwedge
02-25-2006, 09:50 PM
Okay, I do apologize to gjb for the thread jack, but I did try to answer his question first, and I did think twice before I posted this long ass story about setting a carb on fire in a thread about carbs and carb cleaner, particulaly in this boat forum. I had a feeling the "off topic police" might step in. But since it made a few people laugh and they found it funny, I don't regret it. It was intended to be funny. If you prefer all the posts you read to be completely dry and devoid of all humor, please feel free to ignore my post and contuine posting only facts and technical information about carb tuning and fiery toilets for as many pages as you like in this thread. Or possibly you could just tell us how you first developed your bitter hatred of Jeeps and AMC products? Hell, just start a thread titled "Why I think Maxwedge is an asshole", for all I care. It is a free forum after all. :p

Moneypitt
02-26-2006, 08:04 AM
No, I apologize for not seeing the humor and intent of the post about the mis use of carb cleaner and the resulting fire and damage. I guess the important part was the lesson learned, and that is what you were trying to relate to others. As far as a problem with AMC jeeps, well that is a story for another time and place.............MP

BarryMac
02-26-2006, 02:23 PM
Okay, I do apologize to gjb for the thread jack, but I did try to answer his question first, and I did think twice before I posted this long ass story about setting a carb on fire in a thread about carbs and carb cleaner, particulaly in this boat forum. I had a feeling the "off topic police" might step in. But since it made a few people laugh and they found it funny, I don't regret it. It was intended to be funny. If you prefer all the posts you read to be completely dry and devoid of all humor, please feel free to ignore my post and contuine posting only facts and technical information about carb tuning and fiery toilets for as many pages as you like in this thread. Or possibly you could just tell us how you first developed your bitter hatred of Jeeps and AMC products? Hell, just start a thread titled "Why I think Maxwedge is an asshole", for all I care. It is a free forum after all. :p
No worries max, I'll just make sure I have a Fire Extinguisher close by :D, funny story BTW... lol

SmokinLowriderSS
02-26-2006, 05:49 PM
Hell, just start a thread titled "Why I think Maxwedge is an asshole", for all I care. It is a free forum after all. :p
Be careful what you ask for Max, your thread is in Benchracers. :D :D :D

Keyser
02-26-2006, 09:30 PM
Was the Benny Hill Theme song (http://home.comcast.net/~millenniumbiz3/tv/Benny_Hill_Show.mp3) playing in the background??!! that halarious :220v: