PDA

View Full Version : Overcrowding in Jails....solution #1

Big Warlock
08-26-2007, 10:03 AM
I think we, at Hot Boat, need a kinder, gentler approach! :D So I want to be about solutions and not just problems.
How about this:
All illegal immigrants (regardless of citizenship) convicted and sentenced to jail would serve time in private jails established in Mexico? These jails would be close by in border towns. They, by many estimates, would cost approximately 1/4 what it costs tax payers to keep prisoners here in the US. We would have to keep some standards, but really who cares? They aren't entitled to the same rights as US citizens. More room, less costs and then our convicted DUIs and others can fullfill their sentences?
Votes?? :)

RitcheyRch
08-26-2007, 10:13 AM
Sounds good to me.

Big Warlock
08-26-2007, 10:14 AM
:D why not, they send everything else to third world countires, so why not the dregs of society !! great idea !!
Outsourcing!! The wave of the future!! :D

Boatcop
08-26-2007, 10:22 AM
I have a another idea. (Although yours is pretty good).
It costs approximately 5 times more to house a prisoner on death row, than it does to house a non-death sentence inmate. The costs are for increased security and other necessary measures. This does not take into account the overall costs for death sentenced inmates, such as for appeals, and other court related issues. (estimated to be close to 1 million dollars a year, with ALL death case costs included)
The average cost to house a non-death sentence inmate is approx. $22,000 per year.
There are (approx) 3,350 people currently on death row costing an estimated $110,000 each in direct prison costs per year. Total for death sentenced inmates = $368,500,000 each year.
If these pieces of human refuse would have the sentence that the people have rendered carried out, it would mean enough direct prison funds available to house an additional 16,750 inmates.

Cheap Thrills
08-26-2007, 10:27 AM
If you want to reduce the prison population, reinstate public execution and go mid evil on a few asses. None of this 10 years on death row waiting on appeal crap I mean Don't pass GO and Don't collect 200 dollars straight out the damn door and to Hell with em. It wouldn't take about 2 Public "Drawn and Quartering s to diminish any evil thoughts and ideas of wrong doing. The money we save from having to house the condemned could do wonders in other areas of Government.
Then again.. Outsourcing seems like a good idea. Blood makes me squeamish :D
T.

westair
08-26-2007, 10:32 AM
It costs approximately 5 times more to house a prisoner on death row, than it does to house a non-death sentence inmate. The costs are for increased security and other necessary measures. This does not take into account the overall costs for death sentenced inmates, such as for appeals, and other court related issues. (estimated to be close to 1 million dollars a year, with ALL death case costs included)
The average cost to house a non-death sentence inmate is approx. $22,000 per year.
There are (approx) 3,350 people currently on death row costing an estimated $110,000 each in direct prison costs per year. Total for death sentenced inmates = $368,500,000 each year.
If these pieces of human refuse would have the sentence that the people have rendered carried out, it would mean enough direct prison funds available to house an additional 16,750 inmates.
With our Attorney General here in Ca (Jerry Brown) he's more likely to solve the problem by letting them out of prison than carrying out their sentences.

Cheap Thrills
08-26-2007, 10:32 AM
I'm glad you posted that. I didn't want to be the only one getting bashed by the human rights flunkies for suggesting we start killing people.
Great minds think alike. :D
T.

fatboy95
08-26-2007, 10:34 AM
How about a first class seat in a 55 gallon drum dropped from a C-130 flying over the Pacific ocean to Hawaii.

Classic Daycruiser
08-26-2007, 10:37 AM
It seems the court system in Iraq could be our model. They get their business done quickly.

Big Warlock
08-26-2007, 10:40 AM
Excellent suggestion as well!!!

'75 Miller
08-26-2007, 10:50 AM
I think we, at Hot Boat, need a kinder, gentler approach! :D So I want to be about solutions and not just problems.
How about this:
All illegal immigrants (regardless of citizenship) convicted and sentenced to jail would serve time in private jails established in Mexico? These jails would be close by in border towns. They, by many estimates, would cost approximately 1/4 what it costs tax payers to keep prisoners here in the US. We would have to keep some standards, but really who cares? They aren't entitled to the same rights as US citizens. More room, less costs and then our convicted DUIs and others can fullfill their sentences?
Votes?? :)
Great plan, 'cept the jails in mexico need to be built at the FAR SOUTH end of the country. Why have them serve their time near OUR BORDER? So when their sentence is up they have less distance to travel to break back into our Country? Furthermore they need to either be branded, tattooed, or bio-fingerprinted. Any CRIMINAL ILLEGAL that returns to the USA should be shot on sight.

'75 Miller
08-26-2007, 10:54 AM
Every one knows how big hearted and self sacrificing I am. SO, in the interest of doing my share for society I just happen to to have an extra 16750 boolliits laying around the house that I'm willing to donate to a good cause. It's cuz I'm such a giving individual.
Rio:)
Booliits...classic. Or we can simply let Mike Vick's pet bools loose on 'em.

Cheap Thrills
08-26-2007, 10:57 AM
Every one knows how big hearted and self sacrificing I am. SO, in the interest of doing my share for society I just happen to to have an extra 16750 boolliits laying around the house that I'm willing to donate to a good cause. It's cuz I'm such a giving individual.
Rio:)
You're such a giver Rio.
Hell I'll yank the covers off the loading bench if they'll send me the empty brass, just so they don't run out! :D
T.

Boozer
08-26-2007, 11:05 AM
Why not try something like PUTTING LESS PEOPLE IN JAIL OVER BS CHARGES? I have and know many others who have been put in jail and in some cases spent several days in jail over an unpaid traffic ticket, the irony is that the cost to jail, feed, process, clothe, give a medical exam and so on actually exceed the cost of the fine by far!
Isn't the ultimate goal of our justice system suppose to be to rehabilitate those who want to be rehabilitated(Obviously serial killers, rapists, etc. dont deserve rehab they deserve death)?
Prisons and jails both are so over run with people on trumped up drug charges it is f'n ridiculous. We as a society choose to jail drug addicts rather then offer them some sort of effective rehab program. Once people are in the system the system makes it damn near impossible for them to get out of it, hence the reason 80% of people released from prison return to it.
Jail is only going to continue to get more and more overcrowded. If we keep jailing and imprisoning people at the rate in which we have been we'll have more Americans living behind bars then we have living in the free world.

Cheap Thrills
08-26-2007, 11:40 AM
Why not try something like PUTTING LESS PEOPLE IN JAIL OVER BS CHARGES? I have and know many others who have been put in jail and in some cases spent several days in jail over an unpaid traffic ticket, the irony is that the cost to jail, feed, process, clothe, give a medical exam and so on actually exceed the cost of the fine by far!
Isn't the ultimate goal of our justice system suppose to be to rehabilitate those who want to be rehabilitated(Obviously serial killers, rapists, etc. dont deserve rehab they deserve death)?
Prisons and jails both are so over run with people on trumped up drug charges it is f'n ridiculous. We as a society choose to jail drug addicts rather then offer them some sort of effective rehab program. Once people are in the system the system makes it damn near impossible for them to get out of it, hence the reason 80% of people released from prison return to it.
Jail is only going to continue to get more and more overcrowded. If we keep jailing and imprisoning people at the rate in which we have been we'll have more Americans living behind bars then we have living in the free world.
Nice, I can get on that wagon and ride too ;)
There are countless ways to improve government function.
Unfortunately our situation looks grim and I don't think things are going to get any better. I've never been one to be too optimistic whereas government is concerned.
T.

Boatcop
08-26-2007, 12:03 PM
In Arizona people convicted of 1st or 2nd offense simple drug possession are sentenced to probation and treatment. No prison time is authorized. This is for possession of any drug. pot, meth, heroin, cocaine, LSD etc.
This may seem like a good plan, but it includes people who plea down to possession from their original crimes like possession for sale, trafficking, selling to minors, operating a drug lab, etc.
Yes. People are taken to jail for unpaid traffic tickets. But serious (criminal) traffic tickets only. Most traffic offense are "civil" violations, and failing to pay them results in license suspensions, not jail. Driving on suspended/revoked licenses, DUI, criminal speed (35 MPH over the limit), etc. are an example of violations that can result in physical arrest, and an arrest warrant issued for failing to appear.
The idea of jail for these (traffic and other "minor") offenses are NOT for rehabilition reasons, nor are they necessarily punitive. Jail acts more as a deterrent to commit crimes and an incentive to pay your just fines.
The people who don't have demonstrated that they have no intention to pay their fines, so what good does it do to fine them some more? Taking away their freedom, even temporarily, is sometimes the only way to get them to comply with the law.
If that threat wasn't there, what incentive would there be?

photo chick
08-26-2007, 12:09 PM
Large corporations spend millions training people in India to answer phones for Dell, Microsoft, Perot Systems...etc.. Why not spend the money sending inmates over there and train them to answer the phones? At least they'd have a skill when they got out and they probably wouldn't be able to afford the airfare to get back to the states...:D :idea:

Rexone
08-26-2007, 12:33 PM
How about a first class seat in a 55 gallon drum dropped from a C-130 flying over the Pacific ocean to Hawaii.
Seems like a big waste of a 55 gallon drum to me.

Baja Big Dog
08-26-2007, 12:36 PM
I have had the answer for years, yea all the above sound good but don't stand a rats chance i hell of happening....the same scum will convicted, and sentenced to death. Period, its gonna happen, and then the appeal process will go on for years, the whole time we are paying for the housing of these "pubic hairs in the shower drain".
So I have the answer, I have proposed this idea to a few groups of people, with some what negative results, I call bull shit, lets vote on it here at the court of Hot Boat....
How do we offset the cost???
Its call PAY PER VIEW EXECUTIONS
Think about it!!!

CARLSON-JET
08-26-2007, 12:58 PM
As a fund raiser.... Sell Lottery tickets to see who gets to pull the switch, cord or trigger. add that to the pay-perview revs and we might actually show a profit..
I also wish to agree with boozer on jail for petty crimes. Simple community service is alot better deterent then a day or two in jail. I also think housing prisoners in different blocks depending on the crime is stupid. mix up the population... that would put a damper on those that think a weekend in jail is no big deal. Next... they grow their own food or starve trying, sew their own clothes, make their own soap ect. Most jails provide better services then many poor Americans could only hope to receive.

'75 Miller
08-26-2007, 01:20 PM
Seems to me if someone is too stupid to pay their traffic tickets they deserve to go to jail. F'em. Trumped-up drug charges? How many chances are we to give idiot druggies? We all know what the law says. If druggies or dealers choose to violate the law f- them too.
Ever stop & think that maybe 80% return to jail because 80% of our "fellow Americans" are just plain stupid? F'em, let 'em rot.

Classic Daycruiser
08-26-2007, 01:39 PM
Have you ever thought how are country would have turned out without laws?
I suspect problem individuals would be handled differently in our community:idea: