PDA

View Full Version : Propane BBQ question

RitcheyRch
08-26-2007, 11:04 AM
My propane BBQ wasnt lighting so figured the tank was low. Took the tank to get filled this morning and it was 1/2 full. Now it lights. Any ideas why it doesnt work when the tank gets a little low.

RitcheyRch
08-26-2007, 11:16 AM
Your guess is as good as mine.

gramps
08-26-2007, 11:21 AM
Could you have the wrong type of tank? Some tanks are for horizontal use and some are for vertical use............

fat rat
08-26-2007, 11:22 AM
Don't the new tanks have some kinda of safety device that won't let it flow if it detects a leak.:confused:

RitcheyRch
08-26-2007, 11:22 AM
I am using the tank that came with the BBQ. Someone mentioned that the regulator might be bad but not sure how to test that.

gramps
08-26-2007, 11:24 AM
ever think about rejetting it and going with natural gas?

RitcheyRch
08-26-2007, 11:26 AM
Have thought about that but like the portability of it since take to the river sometimes.

Tom Brown
08-26-2007, 11:34 AM
I suggest pouring in 2 gallons of 87 octane (non-lead), wait a few minutes, and then light.

gramps
08-26-2007, 11:39 AM
I suggest pouring in 2 gallons of 87 octane (non-lead), wait a few minutes, and then light.
I've heard that 91 octane mixes better with the propane...........

Chubby4Life
08-26-2007, 12:25 PM
Could be that the valve has seized. I had this problem on a tank I had not used in a while (living in the sticks, I fill 3 at a time). I opened the relief screw and had gas, then I used a screwdriver to push on the safety valve were the hose connects. If both of those are unobstructed then I would look at the reg. Hope this helps,
Chris

4trax
08-26-2007, 01:04 PM
i have the same prob only tank is full and won't work(yes the valve is open)it says tank needs to be plurged?what the hell does mean?
If it's full and still won't work or it works and freezes up and quits working then your overful. It happened to me and the hardware store said you can't overfill them. BULLSHIT! So I let some out and tried it again and it was fine. I let it go in the air for about 1 min and kept doing this till I had enough gone it would work.

RitcheyRch
08-26-2007, 02:30 PM
My BBQ stops working when the tank gets below 1/2.

Roaddogg 4040
08-26-2007, 03:24 PM
The tank needs to be purged. Lots of times people don't shut off the tank when they are done cooking and air gets in the tank somehow... If you take it to a good refilling station they can purge it properly and you will be good to go.....
Steve

RitcheyRch
08-26-2007, 03:27 PM
Thanks. Kind of was thinking along those lines that when they filled it up last they didnt get all the air out of it.
The tank needs to be purged. Lots of times people don't shut off the tank when they are done cooking and air gets in the tank somehow... If you take it to a good refilling station they can purge it properly and you will be good to go.....
Steve

Mr. C
08-26-2007, 03:35 PM
Cmon Rich, get a Weber and use real charcoal:D :D
How's the new job by the way.
Mike

RitcheyRch
08-26-2007, 03:40 PM
Mike,
I dont like waiting for the grill to get ready with charcoal.
The new job is good. Thanks for asking.
Any plans for Labor Day?
Rich
Cmon Rich, get a Weber and use real charcoal:D :D
How's the new job by the way.
Mike

Mr. C
08-26-2007, 03:45 PM
No plans, thought I was gonna just lay around and be a lazy ass. But as it turns out my wife invited some friends over to stay for the weekend. No worries though I will still be kicking by the pool with some cocktails.
Your heading to blythe right. Have fun
Mike
Mike,
I dont like waiting for the grill to get ready with charcoal.
The new job is good. Thanks for asking.
Any plans for Labor Day?
Rich

RitcheyRch
08-26-2007, 03:50 PM
laying by the pool with a few cocktails is always nice. Yes, we are headed to beautiful Blythe.
No plans, thought I was gonna just lay around and be a lazy ass. But as it turns out my wife invited some friends over to stay for the weekend. No worries though I will still be kicking by the pool with some cocktails.
Your heading to blythe right. Have fun
Mike

TCHB
08-26-2007, 04:38 PM
Replace your fuel line and gas regulataor valve. You can buy a new one for around $20. It is the regulator of the hose could have a restriction.

3 daytona`s
08-26-2007, 04:59 PM
Steve
I used to sell propane at my R-V Park and that is not close to the truth.You can leave the valve on all day long,the only thing that may happen if there is a leak is lose the propane.:idea:

ski-d
08-26-2007, 05:00 PM
All tanks under 40 lbs ( 10 gallons) have a steel BB in the valve that prevents the release of fuel if the line is cut. Some are pretty sensitive. If you turn your gas off after grilling and there is no "pressure" in the line when you re-light it , sometimes the BB will trip, NO GAS! Also, there would be almost NO WAY that your tank is overfilled with all the new tanks in circulation. OPD tanks are a Federally mandated tank.
To reset the BB, Gas off, Grill off. slightly open the valve on the tank, if you hear or feel a slight "click" the BB needs to be set again. Simple fix is SLOWLY
open the valve on the tank to prefill the line, don't open it all the way, just enough to get the grill lit, light the grill, open the valve all the way... There is nothing wrong with your reg or hoses, what has happened to you is very common.
Now we can commence with the jokes about "Propane and Propane accessories".

cosal
08-26-2007, 06:50 PM
OMG, use a match. If it lights that way your igniter is bad.

RitcheyRch
08-26-2007, 07:07 PM
The igniter works perfectly.
OMG, use a match. If it lights that way your igniter is bad.

RitcheyRch
08-26-2007, 07:18 PM
What we have here is a failure to communicate. :D
Guess he didnt see the part where said the BBQ works perfectly until the tank gets low.
Reading Comprehension 1 Him 0

hot_diggity_dog
08-26-2007, 07:23 PM
sounds like the flux capacitor is sticking ... grab some capacitor spray and hit it right on the ignition switch !! that should do the trick ;)
You know tha keye's guy is one smart MoFo.:idea: I'm not sure why they kicked him out of the Rocket Scientist Program?:confused: :)
HDD:)

RitcheyRch
08-26-2007, 07:32 PM
Smartass. :D
I'd check the igniter.

hot_diggity_dog
08-26-2007, 07:35 PM
Smartass. :D
SWB already knows that.;) :D
But he's not the guy who beats women, as previosly accused !;) LOL:D
HDD

JetBoatRich
08-27-2007, 04:12 AM
Give Hank Hill a call:rolleyes:

RitcheyRch
08-27-2007, 04:36 AM
He refuses to answer my calls. Guess he has caller ID. :D
Give Hank Hill a call:rolleyes:

desertbird
08-27-2007, 10:55 AM
My propane BBQ wasnt lighting so figured the tank was low. Took the tank to get filled this morning and it was 1/2 full. Now it lights. Any ideas why it doesnt work when the tank gets a little low.
Had similar instances.....I think it was the OPD (Overfill protection device) valve/float combination. I was able to "limp along" like T&B describes by venting to atmosphere (push the check ball in with a screwdriver) a few times, but it would still stop flowing eventuially. I ultimatley took the tank to the corner and did the swap for a new tank from the cage. I now refill a few times cuz it's cheaper, but will do the corner swap at the first sign of trouble!
Good luck.