PDA

View Full Version : I just got back from my Dad's retirement party

Tom Brown
08-26-2007, 07:38 PM
I asked my butcher friend to hook me up with his best steaks. This man is an artist and he didn't disappoint. They were real equestrian murderers too.
I cooked them the way I do... a dollop of garlic butter and some Montreal spice. All were cooked somewhere between medium rare and medium, of course.
There were a couple of requests for well done. I smiled, said "sure", and served them the same mediumish steaks as everyone else. As it happens, I recall the exact words from the mouth of one of the well done requesters, "This is the best steak I've ever tasted." I didn't tell her it was cooked properly.
Throw in some Taber corn (cooked on the cob) and a mess of baked potato with Dairyland sour cream, and it's lucky I'm still awake.
We had the whole family at the lake. I would imagine they're all as fat and gassy as I am right now.
Before the event, my Dad put his foot down that there would be no party. .... so we organized one anyway. :D
He was pretty choked up after the meal. He couldn't talk for about 10 minutes. The whole thing couldn't have been too traumatic because he happily agreed to some pictures. That's something he doesn't normally do.
I have to stop eating like this.

dragboat
08-26-2007, 07:41 PM
Your Dad has allot to be proud of.

yopengo
08-26-2007, 08:19 PM
Sounds like the perfect meal for a great gathering. There is really only one way to cook a steak….and you nailed it. :cool:

Throttle
08-26-2007, 08:20 PM
how about some left overs?

hoolign
08-26-2007, 08:31 PM
Your Dad has allot to be proud of.
Aside from the botched vasectomy:D

Tom Brown
08-26-2007, 08:55 PM
I was called to work while I was composing the first post in this thread so I kind of cut it short. I'm at work now, waiting for a client. I'll post a picture later.
My Dad doesn’t like crowds. He doesn’t like it when anyone fusses over him. When he is uncomfortable, he can snap quite aggressively.
He likes to work. Even on his birthday, we work the project of the moment and when we stop for lunch, my Mom will bring out a cake after some sandwiches (usually balogna, bread, and pepper). After the cake and a brief birthday wish, we go back to work. It’s almost always my Dad, Mom, and myself for his birthday. That’s just the way he likes it.
He worked the HVAC trade for 54 years. For a few years, I worked with him. When I worked for him, it was the most affluent time of his life by a wide margin. I enjoyed it, for the most part, but there came a time when I stopped enjoying it and I realized I had to go back to the IT field. Both of my parents supported that and were sincerely happy for me, despite the cost to them of losing their only employee. My Dad tried to hire a few people over the years but there were always problems and my Dad isn't good with people and sorting through the bullshit. In every case, they would push him and push him until he would let them go.
Nobody really knows my Dad, except me. Even my Mom doesn’t understand him the way I do. He doesn’t talk much. He has never talked about things that bother him. Ever. He has sucked up a lot of shit in the last 71 years. I don’t think it’s been a load of laughs for most of those years but it’s all he knows.
He and I restored a couple of boats together and have done countless other projects. He likes to do stuff and he and I have certainly done lots. I’ll tell him about an idea I have, he’ll roll his eyes, and the next thing I know, we’re building something. He loves that stuff and so do I.
It’s been a treat and an honor to get to know him over the last 10 years. Times like this make me realize how fortunate I am.
My Dad's health is still OK but it's starting to fail. He is a heavy smoker and he has really bad emphysema.
As far as the failed vasectomy goes, that's not far from the reality. My three brothers are all 9 months and 10 seconds apart. I came 5 years later. My Mom was on the pill at the time.
My parents were poor. By poor, I mean there were times before I was born when they wouldn't eat. There were times family kept them alive. My Dad started his own HVAC business in 1972. His first service truck was a 1955 Chevy he bought off his old boss.
He was a long time journeyman, even back then. There were some lean years in the beginning. I'm talking about lean beyond what any of our generation would understand.
My older brothers had very little growing up. Their clothes were all donated and they knew hard living, at least to some extent. I've seen some lean times but not like my brothers. By the time my older brothers hit their teens, my Dad's business started to become profitable. By the time I was 10, we had a boat. By the time I was 12, we had a cottage at the lake. He even bought a new service truck, 9 years after starting his business.
My Dad has gone through more hardship and done more for his family than I will ever know. It's all very humbling. I'm proud to know such an amazing man.
You all have my very best wishes for peace and love in your own families.

Tom Brown
08-26-2007, 09:04 PM
Congrats to your Pop.
You know Rio, I've given you the gears lots of times. I've thrown a couple of pretty aggressive posts at you too. Those posts were partially in jest, but only partially.
Through our agreements and disagreements, I've always admired the way you conduct yourself. You've got class that I believe very few people understand. You stand up to conflict like a man.
You're a good man, Rio. I'm proud to know you.
Thanks for the well wishes for my Dad and thanks for being so cool.
Your friend,
Tom :)

Forkin' Crazy
08-26-2007, 09:09 PM
Congrats to your Dad, Tom. At least he made to to retirement. I know many that did not.
He is some one to be proud of for sure.
It is never to late to stop smoking, if he will. That is one of the toughest things I have ever done, but IT can be done!

fatboy95
08-26-2007, 09:14 PM
Now you have to find projects for him. Keep him busy and socializing, playing cards, fishing or whatever he likes to do , especially in good physical shape. We kept my Dad busy as hell and he is still ticking at 86..:) :) :)

Tom Brown
08-26-2007, 09:17 PM
Thank you, Paul.
I didn't know you quit smoking. Congratulations! :)

Forkin' Crazy
08-26-2007, 09:26 PM
Thank you, Paul.
I didn't know you quit smoking. Congratulations! :)
Thanks Tom. It has been almost 3 years now!
BTW I like my steaks rare! :D

3 daytona`s
08-26-2007, 09:31 PM
:)

Tom Brown
08-26-2007, 09:59 PM
Thank you very much for the well wishes. I'm proud to know all of you. :)
http://www.CarlsonSpeed.com/~tombrown/QuickLink/imgp3306-thumb.jpg

Tom Brown
08-26-2007, 10:26 PM
BTW I like my steaks rare! :D
One of these days, we will have those rare steaks, my friend. :)

Rexone
08-27-2007, 01:23 AM
Tom , your dad is very lucky to have you for a son, and you, him for a father. Cherish your relationship with your folks and spend a much time as you can stand with them. ;)

hoolign
08-27-2007, 01:56 AM
You should have picked a better driveway to stand by for the pic! JBB is going to use this as ammo against the thatch bashing! :D

Jbb
08-27-2007, 01:57 AM
Congrats to pops on his retirement......
Which one in the photo is Lebnitz?...:D
As for you ......Dad should have disowned you for leaving the family business.....
You never go against the family............. ever.............ask Fredo....:jawdrop:

Jbb
08-27-2007, 02:00 AM
You should have picked a better driveway to stand by for the pic! JBB is going to use this as ammo against the thatch bashing! :D
:p
Night shift agreeing with you....rig boy?

photo chick
08-27-2007, 04:23 AM
Tom, I absolutely love reading your long posts!!! This one is the best, honestly, I just got choked up, and it takes a lot for me to do that. I envy your relationship with your dad, you obviously appreciate it and that's rare these days.....
Funny though....I always end up hungry after a Tom Brown reading....:D

OGShocker
08-27-2007, 04:47 AM
Tom,
Thank you for the wonderful read this morning.
Your father has a lot to be proud of, 54 years of dedication to his work and even longer to his family. Your story really shows how much you cherish your time together. Trust me, there is never enough time, glad to see you are making the best of it.
There are so many good stories out there, thank you again for sharing yours.
Your friend,
Mark
PS. Your butcher friend, is an ARTIST!!

Kyote
08-27-2007, 05:38 AM
Tom,
Thanks for your post. Congratulations to your Dad. I had a great relationship with my father. He was also a a humble and reserved person.
I miss him.

Ultracrazy
08-27-2007, 05:44 AM
Tell your dad congrats and thanks from the blue collar crew.
For what it’s worth….I love my steaks rare :D

sorry dog
08-27-2007, 05:57 AM
Cool deal Tom. I like rare steaks too.
The butcher down the street from the river here will cut'em what you be liken if you call before 2. Pop's is welcome too. October is a great time to visit...Jasper is 45 minutes from the cabin. And Jbb's driveway is about 1.5 hrs.
BTW- who's the girl in the front? She's about 18...right?

Forkin' Crazy
08-27-2007, 05:57 AM
Funny though....I always end up hungry after a Tom Brown reading....:D
Get you a bran muffin and you'll be just fine!!!:D

Riverless
08-27-2007, 10:59 AM
Hey Tom,
That was a nice thing you did for your Father. Even though he didn't want anything, I am sure he appreciated it. Nice pic of the family.
Take Care,
R

Jbb
08-27-2007, 04:36 PM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/ani_belly-bump.gif

Tom Brown
08-27-2007, 08:22 PM
Thank you very much to everyone. :)
.... even you, Hooli. :D

OutCole'd
08-27-2007, 08:27 PM
Hey, a positive thread, what a nice change!
Very cool thing you did for your Dad Tom. I bet he really appreciated it. Congrats!

MRS FLYIN VEE
08-27-2007, 08:33 PM
I asked my butcher friend to hook me up with his best steaks. This man is an artist and he didn't disappoint. They were real equestrian murderers too.
I cooked them the way I do... a dollop of garlic butter and some Montreal spice. All were cooked somewhere between medium rare and medium, of course.
There were a couple of requests for well done. I smiled, said "sure", and served them the same mediumish steaks as everyone else. As it happens, I recall the exact words from the mouth of one of the well done requesters, "This is the best steak I've ever tasted." I didn't tell her it was cooked properly.
Throw in some Taber corn (cooked on the cob) and a mess of baked potato with Dairyland sour cream, and it's lucky I'm still awake.
We had the whole family at the lake. I would imagine they're all as fat and gassy as I am right now.
Before the event, my Dad put his foot down that there would be no party. .... so we organized one anyway. :D
He was pretty choked up after the meal. He couldn't talk for about 10 minutes. The whole thing couldn't have been too traumatic because he happily agreed to some pictures. That's something he doesn't normally do.
wow Tom .. Congrats to Dad.. Give him a kiss from me.. :) I bet he was so happy with everything that night.. Congrats to Dad on his retirement and having a great son to help him celebrate his golden years. ;) :)

Mrs 2LKHVSU
08-27-2007, 08:34 PM
Hey Tom,
I liked the story, too. Even though I don't like red meat and prefer my Turkey Burgers well done.
However, I do respect you for your kind words regarding your Dad, We should all be so lucky to have a warm fuzzy feeling for our Dads.
Congrats to the Dad Brown....:D

Flyinbowtie
08-27-2007, 08:39 PM
Congrats to your Dad, Tom. Sounds like you all had a good time.
It is obvious you are well aware of how lucky you are to have him, I lost my Dad to cancer in 1983. He was 58, I was 23.
I'm jealous, but in a good way.
The world could use an infusion of men like your father. We are running short of them.
Enjoy your good fortune...
Jeff

spectras only
08-27-2007, 08:51 PM
Hey Tom , thanks for sharing some of your personal life's story
with total strangers [ except a few of us that
are lucky to have met you in person:) ] on this rabid
board :D . Keep your Pops busy with projects that welds
your bound even stronger . Maybe adding another
Glastron to the stable :idea: :)