PDA

View Full Version : Launch ramp etiquette, how close is too close?

Kachina26
08-26-2007, 09:43 PM
Went to Windsor tonight about 6ish and pulled between 2 boats. 3 feet from one boat and 2 feet from another. Both boats were on their trailers, the one that I was 2 feet from was getting ready to pull out. Anyway, I got the boat down and jumped in, my wife got in the driver's seat of the truck. The boat that I was 2 feet from pulled out as we finished putting in. I guess I was too close to the fellow pulling out for his comfort. He followed my wife to her parking spot and banged on the window of the truck. He expressed his feelings to her and she apologized. He then asked if that was it, was that all she was gonna do. They spoke a bit and he told her that he would have talked to me but he didn't want a confrontation (guess he was more comfortable confronting my 100 pound wife). Anyway, if this was anyone here, I am sorry if I made you uncomfortable. I felt it there was plenty of room. What do you guys think? I've seen big weekends where guys get within inches, now that's close.
Not a call out thread, I am genuinely sorry for making you nervous.

XtrmWakeborder
08-26-2007, 09:47 PM
Calling mr. pussy... lol what a joke. A. 2 feet is plenty of room. B. He did want a confrontation because he followed your wife, he just didn't want to speak to a big boy. LOL

Throttle
08-26-2007, 09:49 PM
doesn't sound like a problem... no one hurt and no damage to boats/trailers... you guys for some reason just made him nervous, I dunno :idea:
he better get used to it...

Kachina26
08-26-2007, 09:50 PM
he just didn't want to speak to a big boy. LOL
Big boy, that's funny. I'm just a fat boy :D and completely harmless to boot!

MR.rvrluvr
08-26-2007, 09:53 PM
rubbinz.............racin...........:D :D :D :D

squirt'nmyload
08-26-2007, 09:54 PM
as long as the person knows what they are doing and they don't hit my boat or trailer, i could care less how close they get. i've threaded the needle at the launch ramp quite a few times and get dirty looks from people. :D :D

Squirtin Thunder
08-26-2007, 09:58 PM
Damn I hate it when we are at the races and we are stacked 5 trailers wide 2 - 3 inches apart.:idea: But 2 & 3 Feet give me a break, we could have a party !:D I just think he was a chicken..........:D As long as he grows a pair before the next time he goes to a public ramp.:sqeyes: But I have been to some that the folks take up 3 spots when there are only 2. And I just stay out of the way till they are gone.:jawdrop:

boats&bars
08-26-2007, 09:59 PM
Following my wife and Banging on the window of my truck, just might get you what you least expect,:hammer2: Glad it wasnt me.
2 feet is no closer than 2 trailers passing on the bridge.
happy to hear there was a peaceful ending.;)

Kilrtoy
08-26-2007, 10:01 PM
I have seen you drive....
YPU MY FRIEND ARE DANGEROUS...
I will be holding spin class all week, sign up and learn

boats&bars
08-26-2007, 10:02 PM
What up Tim.:D

pw_Tony
08-26-2007, 10:02 PM
I think as long as there are two inches, should be just fine, 2 feet is a joke, I wish we had ramps that wide apart

Throttle
08-26-2007, 10:04 PM
thats funny tim...

Kachina26
08-26-2007, 10:05 PM
I have seen you drive....
YPU MY FRIEND ARE DANGEROUS...
I will be holding spin class all week, sign up and learn
You've seen the results of my driving! Come to think of it, I was backing up that time too. Ya know, I do want to take some spin (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybznDrT2_Yg) training. (link is rick roll safe)

MR.rvrluvr
08-26-2007, 10:06 PM
What up Tim.:D
what up......getting ready for the big weekend....:D
thanx cam

Kilrtoy
08-26-2007, 10:07 PM
NOW that would scare the crap out of me....

Kachina26
08-26-2007, 10:12 PM
I want to do it, but it will certainly be with an instructor. For now, it's power off stalls only for me. I know how to get out of the spin, but I'm not gonna do it on purpose. How 'bout that, I just jacked my own thread :D:D

boats&bars
08-26-2007, 10:13 PM
what up......getting ready for the big weekend....:D
thanx cam
No Holiday weekeds for me I will leave that for the big dogs,
I would jump in the Audi and rocket across the desert for the day, is Bubba Goin?

MR.rvrluvr
08-26-2007, 10:14 PM
no sheet me too..........took a ride in a little plane with a friends dad ( air force pilot for 20 years)....he did some crazy turns that made me want to hurl all over the plane.....

MR.rvrluvr
08-26-2007, 10:15 PM
No Holiday weekeds for me I will leave that for the big dogs,
I would jump in the Audi and rocket across the desert for the day, is Bubba Goin?
no he has to do some side work......no kids either.....PARTY:eek: :) :D

boats&bars
08-26-2007, 10:17 PM
no he has to do some side work......no kids either.....PARTY:eek: :) :D
Be Safe, When did you move to upland?

KLEPTOW
08-26-2007, 10:22 PM
Shit good thing it wasn't my wife she does that shit all the time, and will then tell the guy after your done cleaning your shorts I'll show you how to back your shit in.

MR.rvrluvr
08-26-2007, 10:25 PM
Be Safe, When did you move to upland?
in the process......by by windyville......

Fast Freddy
08-26-2007, 10:51 PM
Yeehaw.............i be rubbin my ducky up on all the chix then.......

dc96819
08-27-2007, 03:41 AM
If it wasent a busy day i would of waited unless there takeing
to long or BSing on the ramp.
He could of been a newbe:)

Jbb
08-27-2007, 03:55 AM
Hard to have any respect for someone who would bang on your truck window and confront your wife instead of you..Im thinking... in the world of JBB ....there would be a confrontation....:p

thatguy
08-27-2007, 06:09 AM
Well, a couple weeks ago I backed in at whiskeytown about 2 feet on either side, between a couple of nice boarder boats. They were hangin' on the docks waiting for their trailers. 5 people in each boat and couldn't idle outside?
No problem, Wife floated the boat, I started it with the lever back and oh so sweetly backed right out between them. They were at the ends of the docks, so I had to steer it in reverse right between them.
By, they looked nervous! But frankly my Miller would get the worst of it if we touched. They gave dirty looks at first and were ready to push me away. But once they saw it was cool they didn't care. Since they were jamming things up to start with.
I think the thing that got them worried is when the fresh 454 w/ 660's, bassetts w/no baffles lit off right in the middle of them!! :D :D
2 feet is plenty, if you don't hit.
BUT, that confronting your wife deal is total BS. What kind of sniveling puss does that? The same one who cries about 2 feet clearance. Then admits he did not want to confront you? Makes you kinda wish you had hit his boat.
Tommy

Sherpa
08-27-2007, 06:35 AM
all depends on the situation.... if they were taken their lazy time doing virtualy
nothing, then drop that trailer right down in there.....
if they were almost* ready to drive up, then I might have waited.... maybe..
I'm notorious for slamming the trailer into the water within feet of the next
guy because by the time we get to the water, I'm already tired of waiting.
--Sherpa.... people either have their shit ready, or deal with it...

little rowe boat
08-27-2007, 06:58 AM
I don't think you were too close. I have had peeps come in a foot or less and it was evident they new what they were doing, no prob. Confronting someones wife:mad: , now thats another story. If there is a problem they had better talk to me, otherwise there is going to be some major problems.

ColeTR2
08-27-2007, 07:03 AM
If i can get my trailer in the water I'm doing it. I hate when people tie up the ramp....

Baja Big Dog
08-27-2007, 07:27 AM
Your "100 pound wife"!!!!!, she still as two legs with feet attached to the ends of them right.
That means she could have lifted one of her feet at a rapid rate and aimed somewhere in the general area of the NUTS, and viola, conversations complete, I would imagine he wouldn't have much to say after that except "Damit...I should have a confrontation with her old man!!"
Fricken pussy, he was probably in a Glastron!!!

Garrddogg
08-27-2007, 08:03 AM
2 feet? :eek:
He needs to STFU! and jammin her on it what a pussie!:mad:

cdog
08-27-2007, 08:12 AM
That guy's a pussy that did'nt have the nads to confront you.

Ziggy
08-27-2007, 08:16 AM
If some dude pounded on the window with my wife there she'd have split logs with her thong:eek: She freaks if startled like that.
2 feet is plenty of room, the guy must be new and/or have a new 200k investment he is trying to protect...chicken shit if you ask me. I've have people back in their trailers within inches of my trailer, no big so long as they do what they're supposed to do.

Racey
08-27-2007, 09:00 AM
Whaaaaaa!!! you got your trailer too close to mine! Whaaaaaa!!! :D
Grow up you baby

2Driver
08-27-2007, 09:12 AM
He waited until you lauched then approched your wife? What a putz. :rolleyes:

Quest4Fun
08-27-2007, 09:12 AM
Hey Kachina26, I think we need a description of the boat so that we can add him to the list for the lynch-mob! :D :D

YeLLowBoaT
08-27-2007, 09:19 AM
2 ft is kind of close, but not really a big deal if you both know what your doing. I personally always try to back the boat up as far away as I can from other peopl...Not that I am worried about me hitting them, I don't want them hit me.

Kachina26
08-27-2007, 09:20 AM
If it wasent a busy day i would of waited unless there takeing
to long or BSing on the ramp.
He could of been a newbe:)
It was a Sunday evening, I coulda/shoulda waited. I'm just used to backing down when there is an opening so others can get staged. Guess I was just running on auto pilot.

AirtimeLavey
08-27-2007, 09:20 AM
BS that he confronted your wife. I'd a probably had a chat w/him. Otherwise, as long as you bring it in straight, 2 -3' is fine. If it's a windy day and people are trying to load, I try and give a little more room. Kills me at Katherine's Landing, to watch the people wait for 2-3 open lanes before they back down...:mad: KL even has lane lines painted on the ramp! :rolleyes:

ChumpChange
08-27-2007, 09:27 AM
If some dude pounded on the window with my wife there she'd have split logs with her thong:eek: She freaks if startled like that.
Thanks for the visual Zig. :mad:

Magic34
08-27-2007, 09:31 AM
You think you get dirty looks? Back my setup down once on a busy day and see what looks you get.
The best is when taking the boat off the water. here comes the Freightliner all limo tinted so you can see who is driving. It gets back down perfectly, the air brakes are applies, everyone is looking, and out comes this chick. That draws tons of attention every time.
Once I saw her back a trailer up, I knew she was the one. :D

RiverDave
08-27-2007, 09:38 AM
Went to Windsor tonight about 6ish and pulled between 2 boats. 3 feet from one boat and 2 feet from another. Both boats were on their trailers, the one that I was 2 feet from was getting ready to pull out. Anyway, I got the boat down and jumped in, my wife got in the driver's seat of the truck. The boat that I was 2 feet from pulled out as we finished putting in. I guess I was too close to the fellow pulling out for his comfort. He followed my wife to her parking spot and banged on the window of the truck. He expressed his feelings to her and she apologized.He then asked if that was it, was that all she was gonna do. They spoke a bit and he told her that he would have talked to me but he didn't want a confrontation (guess he was more comfortable confronting my 100 pound wife). Anyway, if this was anyone here, I am sorry if I made you uncomfortable. I felt it there was plenty of room. What do you guys think? I've seen big weekends where guys get within inches, now that's close.
Not a call out thread, I am genuinely sorry for making you nervous.
What else could he expect her to do?
RD

Jbb
08-27-2007, 09:40 AM
RD
Say RD SUX!.....:D

Kachina26
08-27-2007, 09:44 AM
RD
That's what she asked. He said she needed to talk to me about it. She told him that she would and explained to him that nothing got damaged and all was good. Also told him be careful who he confronts in the future as you never know who's packing. No, we aren't.

Magic34
08-27-2007, 09:52 AM
Having a big boat puts you into the a$$hole category every time. I am probably one of the most respectful boaters out there and if I cant go thread a needle at the launch ramp, then the line behind me is only going to get longer.

I'mTheBeaver
08-27-2007, 10:33 AM
He was lucky isn't wasn't me backing down. I would've ran right over his boat! :D
It doesn't bother me when people back up too close, so long as they know what they are doing. Most of the time, I'm in their lane...just a teensy wheensy over the white line so the error was mine. Sorry!! :p

River Lynchmob
08-27-2007, 10:53 AM
2 feet is more than enough and there is no reason that you should have waited. you were good. I would have had serious issues with the guy confronting my girl though. The ramp I lounch at doesnt have 2 feet of clearance on either side so you backing down with 2 to 3 feet on either side would have not bothered me in the least.

TahitiTiger
08-27-2007, 10:56 AM
That is complete BS, at our local lake, it is encouraged to be 3 wide at the ramp, and we can fit 4 if we squeez it.
One time I was at the ramp we were 3 boats, and a jet ski trailer. All was cool cept the stupid jet ski kept floating over my trailer, then it ran into the wake boat next to us. Was a total cluster f***, didn't help that the other boat some how got stuck on his trailer sideways.

TahitiTiger
08-27-2007, 10:57 AM
That is complete BS, at our local lake, it is encouraged to be 3 wide at the ramp, and we can fit 4 if we squeez it.
One time I was at the ramp we were 3 boats, and a jet ski trailer. All was cool cept the stupid jet ski kept floating over my trailer, then it ran into the wake boat next to us. Was a total cluster f***, didn't help that the other boat some how got stuck on his trailer sideways.

Havasu1986
08-27-2007, 11:00 AM
If 2 ft is to close...They would have made the painted lanes bigger. ;)

H20Advantage
08-27-2007, 11:08 AM
Two feet is plenty of room.
The guy needs to grow a pair and take it up with the man not the wife whom he can intimidate.

2Driver
08-27-2007, 11:22 AM
LMAO.
My wife backs the rig in as well. One day at Windsor there was a narrow lane open next to the short wall on the lake side of the ramp. She was lined up about 2 lanes over. When she backed up people were looking like: "where is she going" She snaked the whole rig in so perfect it looked like a movie being played in reverse.

HM
08-27-2007, 11:24 AM
2 ft was plenty. I think we need to hear the other side of the story.:devil:

Danhercules
08-27-2007, 11:34 AM
I think as along as you or the guy next to you can walk around the boats to make sure all is good on the trailer. Some people need to center the boats on the trailer. Leave room for that. I think 2 feet is fine.

Cigalert
08-27-2007, 11:50 AM
It seems like there are a lot of people taking more and more room lately. If I can slip in between 2 trailers playing grab ass, get in get out...I say pig pen this here's rubber duck and I'm about to put the hammer down.

707dog
08-27-2007, 01:29 PM
You think you get dirty looks? Back my setup down once on a busy day and see what looks you get.
The best is when taking the boat off the water. here comes the Freightliner all limo tinted so you can see who is driving. It gets back down perfectly, the air brakes are applies, everyone is looking, and out comes this chick. That draws tons of attention every time.
damn skippy with this one..well speaking of my own not your ms's.:D gotta love it!

OGShocker
08-27-2007, 01:41 PM
Hard to have any respect for someone who would bang on your truck window and confront your wife instead of you..Im thinking... in the world of JBB ....there would be a confrontation....:p
I could just see you smacking the guy with your purse.:D