PDA

View Full Version : Boat crash on lake powell over the weekend.

Classic Daycruiser
08-27-2007, 09:38 AM
I heard one dead and 9 injuried after the driver of a boat lost control and crashed into a canyon wall. I can not find it in the paper, but heard this on radio. The victum was a 20 year old female
Also one other person in a non related accident was wakeboarding and crashed. He was recovered having seizures.
The radio report said both accidents appeared to be non alcohol related.
Any one hear about this? Was on PBS radio in Phoenix last night.

Run_em_Hard
08-27-2007, 09:41 AM
I just got home from Powell last night and didn't hear anything about this till I got to work early this morning...I would like to hear more if anyone knows anything?

AirtimeLavey
08-27-2007, 09:53 AM
:( :( Hate to hear this. Condolences to the families and friends. Just makes me even more defensive and cautious when driving.

riverracerx
08-27-2007, 09:55 AM
Never good news. :(

Classic Daycruiser
08-27-2007, 09:56 AM
Here it is
http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/0826lakeaccidents-ON.html
Lake Powell accidents kill 1, critically injure another
Associated Press
Aug. 26, 2007 06:05 PM
PAGE, Ariz. (AP) - Two unrelated accidents on Lake Powell killed one woman and left a man in critical condition over the weekend, National Park Service spokesman Kevin Schneider said.
On Saturday, Schneider said seven friends were on a 23-foot powerboat when the driver got distracted and slammed head-on into a rock wall at about 30 to 40 mph.
Everyone on the boat suffered "major injuries," including 20-year-old Danielle Sorensen, of Delta, Utah. Sorensen was not breathing when eight Park Service rangers responded to the scene.
They treated all of the victims and gave Sorensen CPR. A helicopter nurse later pronounced the woman dead, Schneider said.
The six survivors, all between the ages of 20 and 25, were flown from the scene to regional medical centers in Colorado, Utah, and New Mexico, and were expected to recover.
The other serious incident occurred Friday, when 20-year-old Colton Dixon of Emmett, Idaho was wake-boarding in a remote area of the lake. He had just completed a flip when the front part of the wake board went underwater, causing him to fall forward and his face to hit the water.
Soon after, Colton began having seizures. Two nurses already on board the boat began resuscitation efforts before Colton was flown to Flagstaff Medical Center. He was in critical condition Sunday afternoon.
Actually it was NPR news I heard it from. Please be careful.

Her454
08-27-2007, 10:04 AM
Both very sad.
This is getting all to familiar reading threads like this and hearing about boating accidents. Boating as I knew it when I grew up is long gone. I refuse to take my kids out on the water on big weekends anymore, period. Not even up here in Nor Cal much less Havasu. Its just not worth it, too many boats and idiots on the water nowdays.:(

Wild Horses
08-27-2007, 10:39 AM
Both very sad.
This is getting all to familiar reading threads like this and hearing about boating accidents. Boating as I knew it when I grew up is long gone. I refuse to take my kids out on the water on big weekends anymore, period. Not even up here in Nor Cal much less Havasu. Its just not worth it, too many boats and idiots on the water nowdays.:(
You have to explain how anything you just said would relate to these latest accidents, if you have been to Lake Powell up by Bullfrog you would know that the boat traffic is minimal even on big weekends. Some people just have to run along the cliffs at speed with no thoughts but their own ego. :mad:
Clint
Runnin' Wild

spectratoad
08-27-2007, 10:51 AM
You have to explain how anything you just said would relate to these latest accidents, if you have been to Lake Powell up by Bullfrog you would know that the boat traffic is minimal even on big weekends. Some people just have to run along the cliffs at speed with no thoughts but their own ego. :mad:
Clint
Runnin' Wild
Because to care about your kids safety on the water has everything to do with those accidents. What if instead of a canyon wall it was your kids in the water or your boat he ran into????
The wakeboard was a bad accident and no amount of smarts probably could have avoided that. :(
Boat traffic also doesn't have to be heavy or light. The only difference between one idiot on the water and 500 is probably the amount of time before someone gets hurt.
So that is what her post had to do with the accidents. :D
"Some people just have to run along the cliffs at speed with no thoughts but their own ego."
I think that says alot too. I couldn't agree more. That guy was obviously not thinking of the other 6 in the boat with him.

Her454
08-27-2007, 10:53 AM
Clint
Runnin' Wild
Did you even read what I posted? I made a general statement regarding all the boating accidents/fatalities lately and its sad. :eek: :rolleyes:
Get up on the wrong side of the bed this morning Clint?:rolleyes:

Run_em_Hard
08-27-2007, 11:06 AM
Very sad to hear...even with the minimal traffic there were still plenty of idiots to be seen.
1 vote here for boating licenses:D

Wild Horses
08-27-2007, 12:08 PM
Did you even read what I posted? I made a general statement regarding all the boating accidents/fatalities lately and its sad. :eek: :rolleyes:
Get up on the wrong side of the bed this morning Clint?:rolleyes:
I read what you posted with great care, maybe I should have posted it like this.
You have to explain how anything you just said would relate to these latest accidents, if you have been to Lake Powell up by Bullfrog you would know that the boat traffic is minimal even on big weekends. :confused:
Some people just have to run along the cliffs at speed with no thoughts but their own ego. :mad:
I agree with run-em-hard, it sounds like it is time for licenseing! :(
Sorry for my confusion.