PDA

View Full Version : MY TURN - Hey...you in the 21 Lavey craft......

HM
08-27-2007, 11:22 AM
I had a confrontation with a guy in a Lavey Craft on my local lake this weekend. We were doing 37 MPH (in a 35 MPH zone) and this guy blows by me doing about 45+ MPH about 10 feet from me and completely drenches my boat. I cut across the lake and signaled for the guy to pull over to talk to me...and he did. I yelled at him for the stupid move he did. He appologized and said he didn't realize that he had hosed us down. For some reason...that wasn't good enough for me and I continued to lecture to the guy about being a safe boater and to choose throttleing off instead of throttleing up..especially on a small lake with a 35 MPH limit. He actually sat there listening to me...and his only response was "I am sorry...I am not sure what else you want from me?" He took off...and even waved in a sorry way. The guy was sincere...but I was PISSED.:mad:
So later on...I was thinking about the incident and wondered myself...."What else did I want?" The guy did sincerely appologize. But, to me...it was such a dangerous and stupid manuever that "sorry" just didn't cut it. But...short of going back into time and reversing the incident...what else could he have done? Reflecting about other confrotations I have had with dangerous boaters...this is THE best response I have had from someone. I should have danced the RiverDance Rap on the engine cover of my boat!!!
Thoughts?

Havasu Hangin'
08-27-2007, 11:26 AM
Just be happy that you didn't run into him at a gas station...
:jawdrop:

Mrs. Bordsmnj
08-27-2007, 11:26 AM
Did you slap his sunglasses off his face?:D

HM
08-27-2007, 11:27 AM
You fockers. :D I am trying to be serious for a change. :D
But, I agree with HH. ;)

Mr. C
08-27-2007, 11:30 AM
You should of got his email addy and Rick Rolled him.:D

Havasu Hangin'
08-27-2007, 11:35 AM
You fockers. :D I am trying to be serious for a change. :D
Can we actually use the words "serious" and "HolyMoly" in the same thread?
:idea:

jh4rt
08-27-2007, 11:35 AM
:-)
Remember the Karma thread. You're all jacked up. Did you kind of want him to swing on you so you'd have an excuse? I've been there. I had a toob-tower at lake San Antonio head right toward me while I was skiing. My brother goosed it to get us clear. I spent the next couple of minutes flipping the guy off; hoping he'd come over to give me some sh*t so I'd have an excuse. But... that wasn't right either.
You did the right thing telling him that you disapproved of his behavior. But, especially given his sincere apology, you should have left it at that. Education about the potential threat is the right approach.
--fellow karma sweeper...
-jim

Shreve "T"
08-27-2007, 11:37 AM
Did you slap his sunglasses off his face?:D
I can picture this... OMG !!!! LMAO:D :D :D :D

AirtimeLavey
08-27-2007, 11:37 AM
You should of got his email addy and Rick Rolled him.:D
That would have been a little harsh for this scenario...good thing cooler heads prevailed. :D

victorfb
08-27-2007, 11:38 AM
well if its the canyon lake here in california, id say you had a right to lecture him. its great he did his best to apologize, but unless he was a visitor and driving a members boat, then he should have know better anyhow. you have to be a primary resident to put a boat on that lake and with that im sure he knows the speed limit (and other rules) of the lake. i think both parties here handled the situation correctly and while im sure your anger and frustration continued afterwards, you did what was needed and didnt get carried away. hopefully the guy realized his mistake and has learned from it.

Kilrtoy
08-27-2007, 11:39 AM
Damn Midget trying to steal my thunder

Mr. C
08-27-2007, 11:40 AM
That would have been a little harsh for this scenario...good thing cooler heads prevailed. :D
I guess your right, since the apology was sincere and all:D

AirtimeLavey
08-27-2007, 11:44 AM
Wouldn't he have made a bigger wake if he had throttled down? Maybe he was just too close. :idea:
I have found it's better to walk away, because you never know who you're f-ing with, and what level of stability/weapons they have. :idea:

RitcheyRch
08-27-2007, 11:45 AM
Then you could have kicked him in the shins. :D
Just be happy that you didn't run into him at a gas station...
:jawdrop:

socalmoney
08-27-2007, 11:46 AM
The girls on the boat, if any could have flashed you. That would have been nice. You should join the POA or what ever they are called who patrol in there. You could get a lot of frustration out that way.
http://www.canyonlakepoa.com/departments/patrol.html

Her454
08-27-2007, 11:47 AM
I had a confrontation with a guy in a Lavey Craft on my local lake this weekend. We were doing 37 MPH (in a 35 MPH zone) and this guy blows by me doing about 45+ MPH about 10 feet from me and completely drenches my boat. I cut across the lake and signaled for the guy to pull over to talk to me...and he did. I yelled at him for the stupid move he did. He appologized and said he didn't realize that he had hosed us down. For some reason...that wasn't good enough for me and I continued to lecture to the guy about being a safe boater and to choose throttleing off instead of throttleing up..especially on a small lake with a 35 MPH limit. He actually sat there listening to me...and his only response was "I am sorry...I am not sure what else you want from me?" He took off...and even waved in a sorry way. The guy was sincere...but I was PISSED.:mad:
So later on...I was thinking about the incident and wondered myself...."What else did I want?" The guy did sincerely appologize. But, to me...it was such a dangerous and stupid manuever that "sorry" just didn't cut it. But...short of going back into time and reversing the incident...what else could he have done? Reflecting about other confrotations I have had with dangerous boaters...this is THE best response I have had from someone. I should have danced the RiverDance Rap on the engine cover of my boat!!!
Thoughts?
HolyMoly, you went about this all wrong. You should have confronted his wife. That would have been the manly thing to do. :D

Jbb
08-27-2007, 11:48 AM
HH, you went about this all wrong. You should have confronted his wife. That would have been the manly thing to do. :D
HH....lol...:D

Kilrtoy
08-27-2007, 11:48 AM
HH, you went about this all wrong. You should have confronted his wife. That would have been the manly thing to do. :D
He is only a 6 pound 10 oz baby jesus

topless
08-27-2007, 11:49 AM
HolyMoly, you went about this all wrong. You should have confronted his wife. That would have been the manly thing to do. :DIt's just a damn good thing he didn't spin out in the reeds.

HM
08-27-2007, 11:50 AM
Can we actually use the words "serious" and "HolyMoly" in the same thread?
:idea:
Judging from the replies....Obviously not. :D
I thought about Rick Rolling the guy. :D
jh4rt - I didn't want to go rounds with him (notice all the biatch slapping sun glass comments...they are about a real story of me getting MY sunglasses biatch slapped off of me by a chick at a gas station. :D)
But...the whole "I didn't know or realize" just seemed almost as stupid as what he did. If he had said that "he was trying to get by me and cut it closer than he had planned and was sorry and wouldn't do it again" would have been a better response...but Ignorance as the reason just ticked me off more. I think of my kids when they get in trouble for something they didn't do on purpose...they still get in trouble. I explain to them it was not the intent they are getting in trouble for...it is the outcome. But, it seems today society seems to think that they are not guilty if they didn't "mean" to and that should be the end to it.
Again...serious (or funny) thoughts? :D

Kyote
08-27-2007, 11:51 AM
I had a confrontation with a guy in a Lavey Craft on my local lake this weekend. We were doing 37 MPH (in a 35 MPH zone)
Thoughts?
So what you are saying is that You were Exceeding the Speed limit.
I don't blame the guy for being nice!

Her454
08-27-2007, 11:52 AM
HH....lol...:D
Focker. I fixed it. Just not fast enough LOL.:D

Jbb
08-27-2007, 11:53 AM
Focker. I fixed it. Just not fast enough LOL.:D
Hmmmm....a little rusty....:D

Her454
08-27-2007, 11:58 AM
It's just a damn good thing he didn't spin out in the reeds.
Probably far too experienced to make a stupid mistake like that. :D :rolleyes:
Hmmmm....a little rusty....:D
A little LOL. :D

HM
08-27-2007, 11:59 AM
well if its the canyon lake here in california, id say you had a right to lecture him. its great he did his best to apologize, but unless he was a visitor and driving a members boat, then he should have know better anyhow. you have to be a primary resident to put a boat on that lake and with that im sure he knows the speed limit (and other rules) of the lake. i think both parties here handled the situation correctly and while im sure your anger and frustration continued afterwards, you did what was needed and didnt get carried away. hopefully the guy realized his mistake and has learned from it.
Yes...it was in Canyon Lake. And...that was also why it was so easy to "cut" across the lake and catch him.
Even though the rules of the lake are extremely well published...I am amazed at how many people actually have no idea of the rules/laws. I have talked with many other boat owners and talked about the various shit I see on this lake...and always get a "I didn't know that" from someone. One person had no idea that sail boats have the right away and they didn't understand why they "Zig zag" across the lake.
The guy was alone in his boat. I had my 4 year old boy with me. I think the comment about not knowing the stability of people and/or what kind of weaponry someone has is a good point.
My 4 year old couldn't wait to tell mommy about how daddy yelled at a boater....again. :D My kids are so scared of breaking the rules...it is quite funny. I hope that lasts forever!

lewiville
08-27-2007, 12:03 PM
ahhhhhhhhhh, I dunno
you never told us where this was. could it have been in you bath tub?? j/k

HM
08-27-2007, 12:04 PM
So what you are saying is that You were Exceeding the Speed limit.
That is very true. :D But, they don't write tickets unless you exceed by 6 MPH or more...and they DO radar people on the lake. Just ask RiverKid. :D

Nord
08-27-2007, 12:04 PM
Sounds like a mistake was made............Let it go.......

lewiville
08-27-2007, 12:05 PM
Frank never gets pissed off, let him vent.
ok, on with the show

lewiville
08-27-2007, 12:06 PM
Frank never gets pissed off, let him vent.
ok, on with the show

Ziggy
08-27-2007, 12:06 PM
Maybe you should have requested inspecting his cooler.
He said sorry with sincerety so let it go.....as the monkey would say, its in the past so it doesn't matter anymore. Go one with life and enjoy it, unless ,of course, this is the boat that has 2 feet chopped off the nose, then flame away on him:D:D:D:D.

socalmoney
08-27-2007, 12:10 PM
If you wore this outfit while boating, I think you would have most of the lake to yourself.
http://www.***boat.com/forums/image.php?u=3566&dateline=1187767025

Baja Big Dog
08-27-2007, 12:11 PM
Why are you asking us? Especially if you want a SERIOUS answer...the question is what else do you think YOU should have said/done?
Sounds like you made your point and it was well taken, I guess I dont understand how the level of completion could have been raised.
By the way, how fast did yu have to go to catch this guy in anger????:idea:

HM
08-27-2007, 12:19 PM
Why are you asking us? Especially if you want a SERIOUS answer...the question is what else do you think YOU should have said/done?
Sounds like you made your point and it was well taken, I guess I dont understand how the level of completion could have been raised.
By the way, how fast did yu have to go to catch this guy in anger????:idea:
The point was...the guy appologized and I was still pissed. And I thought...what did I want from the guy?
And if you know canyon Lake...I could have caught the guy in a canoe...it is a small lake. I just cut across the lake and waited for him. My boat is a tourny style boat...so, it couldn't have "caught" up to the guy if I wanted to. But...that is a good point. How many people have you seen do something worse than the car that offended them in their attempt to catch up to them and give them a 1 finger salute? A LOT.

HM
08-27-2007, 12:27 PM
I agree with you guys about letting it go...that is not what I am asking. I actually feel a bit guilty and want to thank the guy for listening and appologizing.
But...the point of my conversation is that we all have had (or had the potential) for confrontations with bad boaters. What could possibly be the ultimate outcome of a confrontation? I think I cam pretty damn close. I usually get pissed at myself for even having a confrontation because they rarely to anything positive and usually escalate the incident. And later I reflect and think to myself do I expect these morons to say "Oh, thank you wise one. I now see the errors of my ways and I appreciate you taking the time to educate me. I will now be on a quest to help all boaters be safe and courteous boaters?" Most of the bad boaters out there don't give a shit. Confrontations are usually useless and sometimes dangerous.

HM
08-27-2007, 12:31 PM
...unless ,of course, this is the boat that has 2 feet chopped off the nose, then flame away on him:D:D:D:D.
The chopped-off nose guys have been oppressed like an angry middle-aged middle-class white male. :D

jh4rt
08-27-2007, 12:32 PM
I agree with you guys about letting it go...that is not what I am asking. I actually feel a bit guilty and want to thank the guy for listening and appologizing.
But...the point of my conversation is that we all have had (or had the potential) for confrontations with bad boaters. What could possibly be the ultimate outcome of a confrontation? I think I cam pretty damn close. I usually get pissed at myself for even having a confrontation because they rarely to anything positive and usually escalate the incident. And later I reflect and think to myself do I expect these morons to say "Oh, thank you wise one. I now see the errors of my ways and I appreciate you taking the time to educate me. I will now be on a quest to help all boaters be safe and courteous boaters?" Most of the bad boaters out there don't give a shit. Confrontations are usually useless and sometimes dangerous.
Righteous!!!

Ziggy
08-27-2007, 12:35 PM
Honest truth now HM...was he able to see you over the gunwale? ;) :D

HM
08-27-2007, 12:50 PM
Honest truth now HM...was he able to see you over the gunwale? ;) :D
I was standing on the seat...on top of a couple Type 4 throwable. He say my eyes. :D

Dribble
08-27-2007, 12:52 PM
I would have administered a breathalizer.

RiverToysJas
08-27-2007, 01:56 PM
:( HM, on behalf of 21' Lavey owners everywhere, I'd like to say I'm sorry........and try to stay out of our way from now on!!! :)
(BTW - seriously - I agree with Nord ;) )
RTJas :D

frdvschvy
08-27-2007, 02:02 PM
People we sold our 21' Lavey to in February are from the area. What was the gel scheme? :idea:

Mandelon
08-27-2007, 02:15 PM
The other 21 Lavey owner checking in here. It wasn't me, I was down at the lower river blasting through an entirely different set of no wake zones. :D

Big Warlock
08-27-2007, 02:28 PM
You know I have to stand by you!!! :D

HefeRaton
08-27-2007, 03:00 PM
Fellow 21 ' Lavey owner here from the area and can say it wasn't me. Besides I thought the 21' Lavey (which is actually 23') was to large for that stuffy puddle?

Kilrtoy
08-27-2007, 03:03 PM
Bunch of guilty conscience Lavey owners on here chiming in...

Mandelon
08-27-2007, 03:33 PM
Oh, my conscience is guilty, for sure. But for lots of other things, not the no wake zone thing..... :devil: :D

RiverToysJas
08-27-2007, 03:40 PM
At least we have a conscience! ;)
RTJas :D

Dave C
08-27-2007, 03:43 PM
LOL imitation is the sincerest form of flattery...;)
Damn Midget trying to steal my thunder

bob briley
08-27-2007, 04:15 PM
hold on, i have to flush twice so canyon lake can fill up

OCMerrill
08-27-2007, 04:28 PM
Thoughts?
You know HM I had a tough morning. I ran down the guard shack to get in, cut a bunch of whiney homeowners off at the ramp so I could stuff the boat in quick to avoid detection. I then had to quickly hide my truck and trailer in some poor souls driveway so I would not get caught. I was in a bad mood. That was just to many laws broken in one day for me and I lost control.
I live and drive in South OC and we drive a min. of 10 mph over the speed limit so I just cant make the separation of car to boat. Next time lets just let the black belts settle it and I will buy you a beer.:D