PDA

View Full Version : pondering .......PUNK?

bordsmnj
08-27-2007, 08:42 PM
i just saw this and thought it hit it right on the head. what is PUNK? check it out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2Oml4r5dZg

Kilrtoy
08-27-2007, 10:21 PM
GBH Sex Pistols Exploited Black Flag Fear
saw all those bands back in 82,83,84,85,86

grayson
08-28-2007, 03:31 AM
GBH Sex Pistols Exploited Black Flag Fear
saw all those bands back in 82,83,84,85,86
hey that sounds cool but maybe it was P.I.L in 82, certainly not the Sex pistols...

maxwedge
08-28-2007, 05:01 AM
Kilrtoy was probably all strung out on smack back then and just thought he was seeing the ghost of Sid.:D

My Man's Sportin' Wood
08-28-2007, 05:30 AM
Oi!

THOR
08-28-2007, 06:03 AM
There were a few local bands like Uniform Choice and Minor Threat that were popular as well.

chase8
08-28-2007, 07:32 AM
That whole video is a lesson on how to waste someones time!

Dude! Sweet!
08-28-2007, 08:12 AM
Man that made me laugh! I expected a clip from Decline of Western Civilization!
But what was with all those Brittany Spears wannabes?! Those "current" bands are all just pop bands, same as ever, same as always. Doesn't matter what label you stick on the bag, if it's got sh1t inside it, it's just a bag of sh1t!

Dude! Sweet!
08-28-2007, 09:14 AM
Here we go!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-7tryyJ0Ro
Gotta love the dude in the yellow shirt with the mohawk. A personal role model... I was 12 when this was filmed! And no I wasn't anywhere near there!

Kilrtoy
08-28-2007, 09:19 AM
hey that sounds cool but maybe it was P.I.L in 82, certainly not the Sex pistols...
Yes you are correct about PIL, I believe it was 85 when I saw them at the Oylmpic auditorium...

grayson
08-28-2007, 05:32 PM
Yes you are correct about PIL, I believe it was 85 when I saw them at the Oylmpic auditorium...
you did better than me - down under we only got DK's in 82 and i was too young:mad:

beach gomer
08-28-2007, 06:30 PM
I sure miss the Circle Jerks or the Adolescence DOA.

beach gomer
08-28-2007, 06:31 PM
I sure miss the Circle Jerks or the Adolescence DOA.The good lod days.

beach gomer
08-28-2007, 06:34 PM
Sorry that was the good old days.

Troy McClure
08-28-2007, 07:59 PM
I sure miss the Circle Jerks or the Adolescence DOA.
Ha, I use to be into the Adolescents. I had to buy the album off itunes a few weeks ago.:D

cyclone
08-28-2007, 08:15 PM
Maybe i'm not old enough. Most of those bands were before my time. i grew up on Nofx, Lagwagon, Suicide Machines, Pennywise, Rancid etc.

Kilrtoy
08-28-2007, 08:20 PM
Ha, I use to be into the Adolescents. I had to buy the album off itunes a few weeks ago.:D
ARE YOU FOCKIN SERIOUS
I had you guys painted on my leather jacket and saw you at the winnetka skate rink, I think you guys opened for Minor Threat back in 84

BADBLOWN572
08-28-2007, 08:26 PM
ARE YOU FOCKIN SERIOUS
I had you guys painted on my leather jacket and saw you at the winnetka skate rink, I think you guys opened for Minor Threat back in 84
Into not in. ;) :D

iRepo
08-28-2007, 08:29 PM
Does Punk even exist today? I have always looked at people like they were weird calling Green Day punk rock.

dunaholic
08-28-2007, 08:30 PM
Who was the second band singing "Cuz I'm an alcoholic"?? I recognized them all except that one.

Troy McClure
08-28-2007, 08:36 PM
Yea, I'm not artistic in any way. Never been. Can't dance either, think I've got White Man's Syndrome.:confused:

vmjtc3
08-28-2007, 08:48 PM
Does Punk even exist today? I have always looked at people like they were weird calling Green Day punk rock.
Check this out. Punk is still alive and well:D http://www.kungfurecords.com/html/mp3.htm

bordsmnj
08-28-2007, 08:48 PM
Who was the second band singing "Cuz I'm an alcoholic"?? I recognized them all except that one.
yuh know i had that same thought on that one. i was thinkin maybe the germs or the grim? shit i don't know.

Kilrtoy
08-28-2007, 09:05 PM
Ok I cant read to well

kamguy
08-28-2007, 09:07 PM
check out mc5, kick out the jams. 1968 live in detroit. one could argue the start of punk.
also stooges, fun house. 1970
young kids at work think emo rock is punk. so sad.
bk
p.s. it's time to kick out the jams, mother f***er!

dunaholic
08-28-2007, 09:25 PM
yuh know i had that same thought on that one. i was thinkin maybe the germs or the grim? shit i don't know.
I need to know who that is cuz I'm gonna have my band do a cover of it.

AZJD
08-28-2007, 09:42 PM
There were a few local bands like Uniform Choice and Minor Threat that were popular as well.
Your forgetting DI, Agent Orange, Channel 3, Lag Wagon, TSOL, and of course the Pennywise and Bad Religion.....

cyclone
08-28-2007, 09:49 PM
check out mc5, kick out the jams. 1968 live in detroit. one could argue the start of punk.
also stooges, fun house. 1970
young kids at work think emo rock is punk. so sad.
bk
p.s. it's time to kick out the jams, mother f***er!
Rollins did a pretty good cover of Kick out the Jams.
come to think of it RATM did a great cover of it too. not punk, but good nonetheless.

Riverdog1
08-28-2007, 09:51 PM
That whole video is a lesson on how to waste someones time!
Ya...Man!!! That's fun if you are a depressed serial killer:idea: :confused:

TRG
08-28-2007, 11:48 PM
Maybe i'm not old enough. Most of those bands were before my time. i grew up on Nofx, Lagwagon, Suicide Machines, Pennywise, Rancid etc.
Bubblegum Punk!
I was more of the Metal fan Kid
Slayer, Sepultura, DIO, Megadeath, and of corse MAIDEN!

cave
08-29-2007, 04:38 AM
Growing up in Venice and being a skater kinda got me roped into the whole Suisidal Tendencies deal. Got Dam cult I tell you.:D Oh how I miss slamin & The Troubadour. We had a guy in our group of thugs that had 70+ inches of arm. He is a Big MF too. We called him the Pit Pulveriser. He would head straight to the middle of the pit then go helicopter. Tod is right, what they call punk today is Bubble gum punk:D No pain no gain.
Is the Santa Monica Civic still around?

beach gomer
08-29-2007, 05:36 AM
TSOL great OC band.

iRepo
08-29-2007, 06:20 AM
Check this out. Punk is still alive and well:D http://www.kungfurecords.com/html/mp3.htm
Well, I listened to the intro of about four songs and kind of think they sounded like second rate Green Day. I am asking if there are punk bands, like the ones in the video, in existence today or has the genre evolved into pop with a slight edge.

Dude! Sweet!
08-29-2007, 09:24 AM
MC5! Man I love that band! Talk about a launch pad for eveything that came after. Can you imagine seeing Led Zepplin in 1972 and then going to see MC5... The minute that Wayne Kramer and Fred Smith ripped into Ramblin' Rose, Zepplin (as much as I love them) were classic rock. Back then, there wasn't anything that compared to the sonic barrage that was the MC5!
Slayer, Pantera, Megadeath... all those bands should give a big thank you to the MC5.

Markos
08-29-2007, 11:51 AM
I thought TSOL was punk, but there is little Jackie Grisham at about 2min 12 seconds into the video(Not Punk). He cleaned up real well and ran for governer of Calif. last election.

bordsmnj
08-29-2007, 03:44 PM
MC5! Man I love that band! Talk about a launch pad for eveything that came after. Can you imagine seeing Led Zepplin in 1972 and then going to see MC5... The minute that Wayne Kramer and Fred Smith ripped into Ramblin' Rose, Zepplin (as much as I love them) were classic rock. Back then, there wasn't anything that compared to the sonic barrage that was the MC5!
Slayer, Pantera, Megadeath... all those bands should give a big thank you to the MC5.
blue cheer started giggin' in 67. they where petty hard for their time(understatement)

socalmoney
08-29-2007, 03:50 PM
http://www.punksnotdeadthemovie.com/
Recent movie I helped with about punk. Go see it.

Froggystyle
08-29-2007, 04:09 PM
Your forgetting DI, Agent Orange, Channel 3, Lag Wagon, TSOL, and of course the Pennywise and Bad Religion.....
I was in a punk band in NorCal in the late 80's early 90's and got to play with a lot of really cool bands from the era. Tilt, L7, Green Day (who used to actually be pretty punk BTW...) Sausage (precursor to Primus) Swervedriver etc... Saw DI, Chomphard, Bracket, Agent Orange... never got to see TSOL, but we covered "The Triangle" and "Code Blue" from them. We also covered Bad Religion "Do what you must" but didn't do any Pennywise, though I really liked them. Almost went and saw GG Allen but pussed out. I wasn't big enough.
Saw the Chili Peppers at our local Veterans building (capacity of about 700 people max) and at the Cotati Caberet regularly. That was back in the socks on cocks days. Saw Steel Pulse there too now that I think about it.
After I joined the Navy, my drummer went on after Hood House broke up to play with Diesel Boy and Lagwagon. A bunch of other punks from my hood went on to be a part of the Phat Records scene from back then as well.

DUNDUN
08-29-2007, 04:11 PM
i just saw this and thought it hit it right on the head. what is PUNK? check it out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2Oml4r5dZg
I really don't know many people who would consider the "non-punk" stuff "punk"
It is pop-punk at best.
Unfortunately, the new Hot Topic generation out there generalizes music so much these days it's rediculous. There are so many sub-genres out there.. hardcore, metalcore, Numetal, pop-punk, etc...
For example, Hardcore came from punk, Hardcore is still going strong, but if you ask any 14 year old trend seeking teeny bopper walking out of Hot Topic, they will tell you the hottest new Metal band is Hardcore.. No, it's not, it's Metal.

Froggystyle
08-29-2007, 04:17 PM
I really don't know many people who would consider the "non-punk" stuff "punk"
It is pop-punk at best.
Unfortunately, the new Hot Topic generation out there generalizes music so much these days it's rediculous. There are so many sub-genres out there.. hardcore, metalcore, Numetal, pop-punk, etc...
For example, Hardcore came from punk, Hardcore is still going strong, but if you ask any 14 year old trend seeking teeny bopper walking out of Hot Topic, they will tell you the hottest new Metal band is Hardcore.. No, it's not, it's Metal.
And nobody wants to admit that the stuff they listen to is actually Emo crap...

DUNDUN
08-29-2007, 04:23 PM
And nobody wants to admit that the stuff they listen to is actually Emo crap...
Yeah, I guess most people come up with obnoxious lables for music to avoid being "emo"...

dunaholic
08-29-2007, 04:25 PM
So Who Was The Group That Sang The Second Song In The Original Video Already.....

Froggystyle
08-29-2007, 04:42 PM
So Who Was The Group That Sang The Second Song In The Original Video Already.....
I think it was Chaos U.k. As I recall it had something about a glazy stare and being addicted to beer. The whole video is here...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0

vmjtc3
08-29-2007, 05:28 PM
Well, I listened to the intro of about four songs and kind of think they sounded like second rate Green Day. I am asking if there are punk bands, like the ones in the video, in existence today or has the genre evolved into pop with a slight edge.
The Vandal's , pop with a slight edge? Slide down a little an listen to nofx. No way can u confuse focking my mom as a pop song with a slight edge.

kamguy
08-29-2007, 08:37 PM
this emo crap is def leppard 20 years later. if your jv cheerleading squad likes it, it most likely sucks.

Kilrtoy
08-29-2007, 08:50 PM
After I joined the Navy
WHOLLY SHIT you were in the navy,
what did you do during your tour.....

BobbyB
08-29-2007, 09:27 PM
I remember UC and Minor Threat (still have this one bangin around in the center console), but 7 Seconds is what got me into it. My older Bro was already a punk, and I borrowed a few tapes. Circle Jerks, Black Flag (my bro gave me SLip it IN for Xmas, after he opened and taped it :D ), and who was it that sang Beef bologney? FEAR? We grew up in the IE, near Pedley/ Glen Avon. There were a couple of local bads that we followed( Twisted, SDI). Saw a few shows at this place Downtown called Spanky's Cafe. Mostly went to shows in people's back yards, and our own. I wish I could remember more, thanks for stirring up the grey matter.....

dunaholic
08-29-2007, 10:42 PM
I remember UC and Minor Threat (still have this one bangin around in the center console), but 7 Seconds is what got me into it. My older Bro was already a punk, and I borrowed a few tapes. Circle Jerks, Black Flag (my bro gave me SLip it IN for Xmas, after he opened and taped it :D ), and who was it that sang Beef bologney? FEAR? We grew up in the IE, near Pedley/ Glen Avon. There were a couple of local bads that we followed( Twisted, SDI). Saw a few shows at this place Downtown called Spanky's Cafe. Mostly went to shows in people's back yards, and our own. I wish I could remember more, thanks for stirring up the grey matter.....
Are you talking about Spanky's in Riverside? that place was cool. Only time I ever saw a crowd get completely out of control and the security guards walk away in the middle of a set (Guttermouth) was at Spanky's.

MudPumper
08-30-2007, 02:09 AM
The Minutemen, The Misfits, Saccharine Trust, The Nig Heist, The October Faction, Dog, Flipper, Spittin' Teeth, The Big Boys, The Dicks, Minor Threat, The Oil Tasters, The Damned, Angst, The UK Subs, DOA, 7 Seconds, The Stains, The Bad Brains, The Sluts, DRI, The Exploited,GBH, The Bad Seeds

ck7684
08-30-2007, 04:58 AM
DI has a new album coming out...

BobbyB
09-02-2007, 04:38 PM
Are you talking about Spanky's in Riverside? that place was cool. Only time I ever saw a crowd get completely out of control and the security guards walk away in the middle of a set (Guttermouth) was at Spanky's.
One in the same! I went one time and they put a piece of ply wood on the bands monitor, so you could pretty much run up and bounce off it back into the crowd. Good times