PDA

View Full Version : train horns????

LAFD
02-23-2006, 03:57 PM
who knows a good place to get a train horn for a truck???

Burn Out
02-23-2006, 04:08 PM
I have known some others to buy them at a Truck Stop! All chrome so they be shiny! Check the bigger truck stops that have stores for semi drivers!
:cool:

Eliminator 4 Life
02-23-2006, 04:09 PM
I bought a Nathan horn on e bay I need a tank still to hook it up :)

Sean@magic
02-23-2006, 04:10 PM
Make sure and get enough air pressure too. My friend had one and after a few blows of the horn, it sounded like an old lady farting in the fog.

Chadman!
02-23-2006, 04:18 PM
Im the friend of Seans and he is right. I bought mine off ebay for like $200 and its really loud at full pressure but once you blow it a few times it sounds weak! Now my compressor blew up so I am in the market for a new one. I was running about 165psi. I want to get a bigger pressure switch though. I figure about 200psi would make them really roar!

LAFD
02-23-2006, 04:20 PM
i found a website but damn there expensive. www.hornblasters.com they have some cool stuff on there but im not willin to fork out that much cash..

Chadman!
02-23-2006, 04:21 PM
i found a website but damn there expensive. www.hornblasters.com they have some cool stuff on there but im not willin to fock out that much cash..
Thats where I got mine. But off of ebay.

racecar.hotshoe
02-23-2006, 04:24 PM
www.groverairhorns.com/train/train.html

MAINEVENT
02-23-2006, 04:24 PM
i found a website but damn there expensive. www.hornblasters.com they have some cool stuff on there but im not willin to fork out that much cash..
Those are bad ass i am sooo hooking one up........

THATJEFFGUY
02-23-2006, 04:44 PM
Isn't there someone here from the boards who works for BNSF or Union Pacific ? Now that would be the hookup !!

burtandnancy
02-23-2006, 05:00 PM
I had one that had one of those instant, hi output compressors. No air tank needed. It would rattle windows, raise dirt up off the street, give heart attacks to little old ladies...

spectras only
02-23-2006, 05:05 PM
Isn't there someone here from the boards who works for BNSF or Union Pacific ? Now that would be the hookup !!
Yeah, ask an engineer to rip one off his loco :D . I had one long time ago . You need 120 pounds of pressure . Gave it away to a friend who had a 72 ' WWII mine sweeper .Wish I had it now , it would come handy on the freeway during rush our :rollside:

my21advantage
02-23-2006, 05:11 PM
Most Custom Truck Shop have them....
I go to L & G / Custom Truck Shop in San Dimas - I know they have them and can install them too

GHT
02-23-2006, 05:52 PM
Your a Fire Fighter Right? Why don't you get the part number / serial number off of one of the Engines? I'm sure the manufacture of the Engine would be able to provide you with all the information you need.. Not many horns louder than an Engine horn..
Just a thought.....

LUVNLIFE
02-23-2006, 06:00 PM
Your a Fire Fighter Right? Why don't you get the part number / serial number off of one of the Engines? I'm sure the manufacture of the Engine would be able to provide you with all the information you need.. Not many horns louder than an Engine horn..
Just a thought.....
That's what my dad has on his truck, he is retired LACFD. :cool:

GHT
02-23-2006, 06:04 PM
That's what my dad has on his truck, he is retired LACFD. :cool:
I'll bet it's one LOUD horn???

Redwing247
02-23-2006, 06:35 PM
Pilot Travel Center in Castaic.
pm me if interested, i'll discount it.

Sean@magic
02-23-2006, 06:46 PM
I had one that had one of those instant, hi output compressors. No air tank needed. It would rattle windows, raise dirt up off the street, give heart attacks to little old ladies...
LOL.... now that's awesome. If you're going to do it, do it right.

Pussywhippled
02-23-2006, 07:08 PM
Do you want loud?
Then Dependable Offroad in Anaheim. Talk to Steve the owner. Tell him you want them the same as on Steve's silver Duramax that he did. I have mine set up with a compressor and air tank horn all mounted under the truck. The compressor and air tank also controls my air bag system as well.
If you want to hear how loud they are, just cut me off on the 91 or 15 fwy.
Silver Duramax crew cab with Eliminator sticker on back window.

76ANTHONY
02-23-2006, 07:15 PM
ask boatsnblonds, that dude runs trains....nice pics too.

MudPumper
02-23-2006, 10:50 PM
Just a thought.....
I believe Grover makes the fire truck horn, it's called a stuttertone horn.

LAFD
02-23-2006, 10:59 PM
Pilot Travel Center in Castaic.
pm me if interested, i'll discount it.
intersted in the horn what kinda systems do ya have???

Rod-64
02-23-2006, 11:24 PM
www.stylinconcepts.com
Item# 836wol
$150.00

Magic34
02-23-2006, 11:33 PM
The 1/2" line is key to making it really loud.

boatsnblondes
02-23-2006, 11:40 PM
Ummm...I'm not a big fan of train horns, either on or off trains. They are simply just TOO loud...to the point where they scare the shit out of people... if you have one, and you blow it, and a cop is around, your done. But mostly, I am speaking from YEARS of blowing train horns, and they are not a good idea on the road. Maybe they look like fun, and maybe they are, but to me, the startle factor is just to high...blow it around the wrong person, they could have a heart attack....I'm asking ya guys...don't mount train horns...my two cents..... :rollside:

Danhercules
02-24-2006, 07:37 AM
west coast diesel performance.
951-674-5122
Ask for Clyde.

Flying Tiger
02-24-2006, 07:49 AM
Trucks great but even better on the boat when PWC's cut in front of you.
You can double up in the 12V compressors, they're cheap,, under 50 bucks, bomb/lowriders use that method for their bags.
The simple loudness test is in a grocery store parking lot,, if sounding it makes shoppers drop their bags,, then ya got the right horn.
I bought mine from JC Whitless,, the paper catalog offers many different items than the online.

Rexone
02-24-2006, 08:05 AM
Ummm...I'm not a big fan of train horns, either on or off trains. They are simply just TOO loud...to the point where they scare the shit out of people... if you have one, and you blow it, and a cop is around, your done. But mostly, I am speaking from YEARS of blowing train horns, and they are not a good idea on the road. Maybe they look like fun, and maybe they are, but to me, the startle factor is just to high...blow it around the wrong person, they could have a heart attack....I'm asking ya guys...don't mount train horns...my two cents..... :rollside:
Not only that but they're illegal...
Ca Vehicle code...
27000. (a) ( )1 A motor vehicle, when operated upon a highway, shall be equipped with a horn in good working order and capable of emitting sound audible under normal conditions from a distance of not less than 200 feet, but no horn shall emit an unreasonably loud or harsh sound. An authorized emergency vehicle may be equipped with, and use in conjunction with the siren on that vehicle, an air horn ( )2 that emits sounds that do not comply with the requirements of this section.
I guess you could argue with the judge on how your train horn's not unreasonably loud or harsh and that the old lady in the crosswalk prolly would have had that heart attack anyway sooner or later.
Big liability there if someone dies or gets injured from your seemingly harmless action.

schiada96
02-24-2006, 08:09 AM
Small CO2 bottle and a nitrous sol and your good to go. Been there, and they are way too loud. Cool for the 4th of july but I wouldn't use them again.

Jordy
02-24-2006, 08:11 AM
I'm asking ya guys...don't mount train horns...my two cents..... :rollside:
Put me down for 6 please. :D :D :D

Sherpa
02-24-2006, 08:18 AM
you can find horns on ebay but original train horns fetch pretty good money
these days. I have a Nathan Airchime 5-chime horn. got it new, for under
4 bills a couple years ago. same horn now fetches around 800+...............
flow and pressure are key. 1/2 line, hi-flow valve, and at least 150 psi......
mine will vibrate the carport sheetmetal...........
--Sherpa

MAINEVENT
02-24-2006, 08:18 AM
Put me down for 6 please. :D :D :D
What an A$$hole!!!!!!! :crossx:
I want one now :)

me4drvr
02-24-2006, 08:30 AM
Custom Motor sports in Riverside did mine. It'll blow for abuot 45 seconds, then can refill the tank within 30. Bitchin install too, I recommend them for anything. If they can't find a part, they'll fab it.

SummitKarl
02-24-2006, 09:03 AM
I bought a Nathan horn on e bay I need a tank still to hook it up :)
do you need a STOOL with that :rollside:

Pussywhippled
02-25-2006, 09:29 PM
Ok, fine don't be a retard... www.hornblasters.com
Check it out.

Forkin' Crazy
02-25-2006, 09:50 PM
I don't think they are illegal to have, just to use!!! :crossx:
I would like to have a set just for the idiots that don't use their turn signal because they are holding their focking phone up to their ear and can't take time to signal!!! Well I got a signal for them!!!!! :crossx: :crossx: :crossx:
no to the old ladies...

Redwing247
02-26-2006, 06:39 AM
intersted in the horn what kinda systems do ya have???
It runs on compressed air, require 70 - 140 psi through 5/16" hose