PDA

View Full Version : pool question

bchbum
08-29-2007, 04:44 PM
After having my pool done for 3 months I'm having trouble with alge. My chlorine & acid levels are fine . Called a buddy , he checked the phosphate level & it was way high . I treated it following the directions . It cleared up & 3 days later its high again.
My water temp is around 84 & I had the water tested at a pool supply incase I was doing it wrong .What is causing this & how do I stop it ?

RitcheyRch
08-29-2007, 04:47 PM
A nice Hot Boat pool party will clear it right up. :D

Brewzed
08-29-2007, 04:56 PM
my pool guy is the best $80 a month I spend. I've had him since he came over to do the initial start up 2 years ago and I've never had any type of issue. I used to battle with an above ground spa, so I didn't even want to attemp a 40K gallon pool.

thatguy
08-29-2007, 05:03 PM
Describe the "algae" Is it black, green ? Is it floating or on the water or on the sides? In the sun or shade?
Tommy

bchbum
08-29-2007, 05:09 PM
The algea is green & is on the sides . It's in the shade & sun . Theres not much ,but I can see it when I brush the pool.

bchbum
08-29-2007, 05:15 PM
Sorry , even though she's lost over 30 lbs ,she says no . Plus she says she a grandmother now , but damn I think shes hot

photo chick
08-29-2007, 05:21 PM
Sorry , even though she's lost over 30 lbs ,she says no . Plus she says she a grandmother now , but damn I think shes hot
Tell her Grandma's are hot too!!!

Outnumbered
08-29-2007, 05:30 PM
Pools are simple to maintain once you get the system down.
1) How much and what type of chlorine are you using?
2) Do you shock?
3) What type of filter do you have?
4) How often do you back-wash or change the filter element?
5) How often do you check your water chems?
6) Plaster or pebble?
7) Stabilizer level?
My water is about 90* most of the summer and I don't have algea issues. I have a basic sand filter and no chlorinator. I just add a few tabs on a regular basis, shock after pool parties and storms, and backwash on a regular basis, dump the pool water once a year. That is it.
I bet you over stabilized but I need more details.

Jbb
08-29-2007, 05:30 PM
This might be the problem... (http://www.greenapple.com/~andyshupe/videos/lq/pool4_lq.wmv)

Outnumbered
08-29-2007, 05:34 PM
This might be the problem... (http://www.greenapple.com/~andyshupe/videos/lq/pool4_lq.wmv)
A floater!!!!

photo chick
08-29-2007, 05:40 PM
You and Brown have an unusual facination with "floaters" :jawdrop:

Mr. C
08-29-2007, 05:41 PM
8) how long are you running your filter each day?
2) Do you shock?
6) Plaster or pebble?
7) Stabilizer level?
My water is about 90* most of the summer and I don't have algea issues. I have a basic sand filter and no chlorinator. I just add a few tabs on a regular basis, shock after pool parties and storms, and backwash on a regular basis, dump the pool water once a year. That is it.

Outnumbered
08-29-2007, 05:54 PM
8) how long are you running your filter each day?
Thanks...I knew I forgot something:) :o

Lavey29
08-29-2007, 06:01 PM
Phosphate levels can affect your chlorines ability to fight algae. I have high phosphate levels also and treat the pool once a week with a couple capfulls of "Phosfree". Phosphate is everywhere blowing in the air from fertilizers, dirty rain from smogged air, in the water...etc...Try to maintain the phos levels as best you can and shock the water every 3 weeks or so and use algicide as needed

scarabrick2
08-29-2007, 06:02 PM
Run the pump for 1 hr evey thousand gallons.
Run it at two different times or three if you have a timer that does that.
Geeen algae ??
High chlorine demand.
KEEP 3 ppm chlorine
get some algaecides ( Quats : quaternary ammonium salts) this might foam the pool a little..
polyquats is more expensive but very effective.
Post you water sample results....
Rick

coolchange
08-29-2007, 06:36 PM
2) Do you shock?
6) Plaster or pebble?
7) Stabilizer level?
IF you're doing that you don't have much experience with pool chemistry

Outnumbered
08-29-2007, 06:42 PM
IF you're doing that you don't have much experience with pool chemistry
Well you have no clue how hard the water is here. There is no other way to get the calcium/hardness out of the pool. After a year in our climate the evaporation rate is so high in Phoenix that you are basically evaporating and refilling the pool several times over 12 months. For $150 in water I can dump it and start over. If you don't you will be fighting off the chart calcium levels and you will not win.
Why do I even bother to help? This place is really starting to grate my nerves.

coolchange
08-29-2007, 07:00 PM
Well yes I do. It comes out of the faucet at about 600-700 ppm tds. A number that would mean old tired water any where else. And just dumping the water is not even an option in some places. I guess that was just the point I was getting at in a round about way.
cool- not really trying to grate on anybody-change

Xlration Marine
08-29-2007, 07:04 PM
2) Do you shock?
6) Plaster or pebble?
7) Stabilizer level?
You for got one.
#8 how many hours do you run it. Mine runs for 10, at night. The hotter the water the longer she needs to run.

Xlration Marine
08-29-2007, 07:04 PM
2) Do you shock?
6) Plaster or pebble?
7) Stabilizer level?
You for got one.
#8 how many hours do you run it. Mine runs for 10, at night. The hotter the water the longer she needs to run.

Outnumbered
08-29-2007, 07:15 PM
You for got one.
Refer to post 14 above.

Xlration Marine
08-29-2007, 07:17 PM
Refer to post 14 above.
Ah why read it all, I just saw that you missed one so I tossed it in there. We are getting pounded over here, pool should look like crap in the morning.

Outnumbered
08-29-2007, 07:23 PM
Well yes I do. It comes out of the faucet at about 600-700 ppm tds. A number that would mean old tired water any where else. And just dumping the water is not even an option in some places. I guess that was just the point I was getting at in a round about way.
cool- not really trying to grate on anybody-change
So, tell me how you get water that is 2500-3000 ppm back to a manageable level? And for the record our tap water tested out to about 770 ppm this spring.
For someone that knows nothing my pool stays nice and crystal clear all summer with minimal chemicals. I guess I just got lucky:rolleyes:

Outnumbered
08-29-2007, 07:24 PM
Ah why read it all, I just saw that you missed one so I tossed it in there. We are getting pounded over here, pool should look like crap in the morning.
Looks like we may get it too. Where are you? Havi?

scarabrick2
08-30-2007, 04:51 AM
refer to post # 16
Still want help.
My pool size is 22 million gallons........
yah, thats correct.... 22 million gallons. Plus its here in THE VEGAS HEAT

91nordic29
08-30-2007, 04:59 AM
refer to post # 16
Still want help.
My pool size is 22 million gallons........
yah, thats correct.... 22 million gallons. Plus its here in THE VEGAS HEAT
Holy Crap!:eek:

boatnam2
08-30-2007, 06:13 AM
After having my pool done for 3 months I'm having trouble with alge. My chlorine & acid levels are fine . Called a buddy , he checked the phosphate level & it was way high . I treated it following the directions . It cleared up & 3 days later its high again.
My water temp is around 84 & I had the water tested at a pool supply incase I was doing it wrong .What is causing this & how do I stop it ?
i get it real bad also,usally around the swim steps in the shaded area of the pool i think its called mustard algae.hit it real good with chlorine this last week and it seems to be gone for now.I was only running my pump for 5 hours so i kicked it up to 8 The pool guy comes once a week by then the chlorine is low or gone so now im going to put some in myself between his visits.

pspoolman
08-30-2007, 01:16 PM
I like to treat algae with yellow treat or yellow trine (sodium bromide based), follow label instructions and musard algae will be gone next day. Then follow up with phospate remover as needed.

havpoolguy
08-30-2007, 02:04 PM
There are so many different reasons algae can grow. Vegetation blowing in pool, pets in pool, bad filtration or circulation, run times, etc.. All I can reccomend is trying to find a good pool guy or lady. Having someone take care of your pool does not guarnatee no algae, but if they know what they are doing they should be able to get rid of it quickly under most circumstances. I personally use silver algadyne to git rid of green and mustard algae it works for me, but every pool guy has there own methods.

Pheelin Phroggy
08-30-2007, 02:56 PM
well... your pool guy should be able to get your algae problem under control, as algae treatment and prevention should be one of the benefits of hiring a professional. Then ask him to drop a cpl of preventative ounces of silvertrine (or whatever works best where you are at), in it every couple of months or so. If it is beyond his capability, then you may want to find another pool guy. JMHO

riverracerx
08-30-2007, 03:08 PM
My pool is about 40K gallons. I run my pump 12 hours a day.
I started getting green algae and realized my salt level fell below 2600 and I stopped producing chlorine. I got lazy!

HOOTER SLED-
08-30-2007, 07:46 PM
I was told that the algae spores are airborne and if it's in the air, like another pool in the area has it, you can get it. Of course if your pool chemicals etc are not balanced, this will help it spread. Shit, I finally got mine dialed in this season. I only run my filter 4 hours a day. 2 in the morn, and 2 in the afternoon. I have an inline chlorinator. I really think thats what helps equalize the level of chlorine, unlike the floaties. I have not had any problems with algae ALL Summer. My pool has been around 80 to 84 degrees since like May. Shit, I haven't even had to brush the sides AND the vacuum hasn't even been working as good as it should. I need to get new shoes for it. I have a D.E. filter.

pspoolman
08-30-2007, 07:56 PM
I personally use silver algadyne to git rid of green and mustard algae it works for me, but every pool guy has there own methods.
Silver algadyne works great also

bchbum
08-30-2007, 08:34 PM
Hooter Sled, I do have a vacant house right behind me with a pool. I will go & check out the pool Friday.I have never heard that it's airborne.Thanks.

Bling Bling
08-30-2007, 09:20 PM
There are so many different reasons algae can grow. Vegetation blowing in pool, pets in pool, bad filtration or circulation, run times, etc.. All I can reccomend is trying to find a good pool guy or lady. Having someone take care of your pool does not guarnatee no algae, but if they know what they are doing they should be able to get rid of it quickly under most circumstances. I personally use silver algadyne to git rid of green and mustard algae it works for me, but every pool guy has there own methods.
This right here is the best sollution possible. It amazes me how many people I run into that drop 50k or more on a pool but want to skip out of the 100.$ a month for the reasurance that your liquid asset is being taken care of the right way. 90% of people that try to jump over a quater to save a nickle on pool service, end up in a few years spending lots of quaters fixing there pool do to homeowner service. I've told this to people for over 20 years, a pool is hard to take care of, very hard.
I've done this for other Hot Boat people, if you would like call me for help I will get ya dialed in. 805-896-6886 Greg

prop check
08-31-2007, 07:05 AM
I get the same problem every yera and use an algicide and then the next day clean the filters out and it stays away from there on.. Good Luck.

OC28HEAT
08-31-2007, 08:20 AM
Use fresh and clear from leslies one a week keeps the food source dead sounds like you have no conditioner in the water to hold the chlorine.

Partycattin
08-31-2007, 12:34 PM
I typically brush it and use the non-foaming Algicide. Seems to work well.
Stay away from the cheapy Algicide that isn't specified as non-foaming. Sucks to be in your spa taking a bubble bath.