PDA

View Full Version : Drain Plug "Sleeve" install ??s

Maxey
02-23-2006, 03:57 PM
I am going to install a brass sleeve in the drain hole on my Sanger cruiser. The
original hole is a bit rough. What would you reccomend for installation procedure, sealant, and retention in the hull? Thanks in advance for any/all
suggestions. :idea:
Dave

LUVNLIFE
02-23-2006, 06:08 PM
Used some marine two part epoxy on mine. Filled in the imperfections ,sealed it and held it tight. :cool:

GofastRacer
02-23-2006, 06:13 PM
Bore the hole out so it's round and clean, make the sleeve so it fits(push it in by hand)and use an Epoxy to seal and secure it!..

old rigger
02-23-2006, 08:23 PM
There's a tool that crimps the inside end of the sleeve to look like the outside flang, making the sleeve permanent, crimped on both ends. They're very simple, I have one, if you're close by, come on over and you can borrow it.

msmeads1
02-23-2006, 09:02 PM
old rigger, where did you get this crimping tool?

rrrr
02-23-2006, 09:20 PM
He found under a rock near Stonehenge... :crossx: :D :D

Maxey
02-24-2006, 08:50 AM
Thanks for the good replys/ideas. I think I will clean the hole up and go for a semi press fit w/ epoxy.
Dave

old rigger
02-24-2006, 09:03 AM
Been so long I honestly don't remember. May have been one of the first tools I bought when I went to piece work in 1974, probably bought it from the tool guy that came every week.
On the other hand it seems like I may have had it a few years before that after I was trusted to do more than pick up the dog shit, cut wood on the band saw and block sand and wax the molds, working in the shop after school. Installing the drain sleeves just might have been my firsts real hands on boat job. If that was the case, then Schuster probably just gave it to me making it my first tool, that and a hammer.
The hammer was not for boat building but for picking up the dog shit. That was the meanest dog I've ever seen and Schuster would use a piece of a 2X4 to keep him at bay while he was fed. His name was either Duke or Prince, can't remember, but I can remember being petrified of having to have to go behind the shop in the fenced-in area and scoop up his crap. Schuster was a big dude, 3 times the size of my 14 year old frame, so I figured that if he needed a stick to keep his own dog from ripping him to shreads, I needed somethng with a little more pop to it. With my ball peen hammer in one hand and a square nose shovel in the other I could get the job done, and I'll be damned if that dog didn't charge me once from behind on the right side. I swung that hammer in his general direction and nailed him, just above his eyes, in what can only be explaind as one of the world's luckiest moments. He let out a yelp and stopped in his tracks, I dropped the hammer and the shovel full of shit and went running for the door. They, Schuster and my dad, made me go back out there and finish up. That dog was pretty cool to me after that, in fact he was better around me than around anyone else in the shop, but I never turned my back on him again or went on shit detail with out my hammer.
Funny, I still have both the hammer and the sleeve crimper in my toolbox. :)

Rattle Can Lou
02-24-2006, 12:02 PM
Ol Rigger, Do you remember Karl Coster or Kosta. He was the Shuster man in the bay area of Californina. I worked for a company called Los Altos Marine. Karl was the outside sales rep for Tahiti and Diversified Products out of LA. We were the largest Tahiti dealer in the state. Ken Baker, who was one of the owners went on and splashed the Tahiti line and built the Sidewinder Boat up in Redding Ca. He also engineered and built the Panther Jet pump.