PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a 19' Liberator with an outboard?

Bahner tunnel
11-30-2002, 11:20 PM
Over the weekend I bought a 1998 19' Liberator picklefork with a Mercury (98) 200 carburated outboard. It has a 10" setback (manual jackplate) , a 28" Quicksilver round eared prop. I will be taking it to the lake tommorow to see how it runs. My question is how high should the centerline of the prop shaft be compared to the keel of the boat with 10" of set back with this hull? Also what rpm and speed should I expect from this motor/prop combo under somewhat ideal conditions? Thanks in advance for any replys. :)
[ November 30, 2002, 11:21 PM: Message edited by: Bahner tunnel ]

snappertapper
12-01-2002, 12:10 AM
Dont know much about the boat and what not but themotor has plenty of ballls

Wicky
12-01-2002, 02:16 AM
Havasu Barney is the "liberated" one!!
He will be able to help you out I think. Barney's site (http://www.havasubarney.com/)

Bahner tunnel
12-01-2002, 03:36 PM
I will have to get a hold of Barney for the details. I took it out today and it is a blast to drive. This handles much nicer than my old jet boat.

Wicky
12-01-2002, 05:13 PM
If you go into gelcoat and glasswork you can find a number where he can be reached. If you do need glasswork Barney is the man!

HavasuDreamin'
12-02-2002, 06:35 AM
If I am not mistaken, this is a similar hull to a 19' Eliminator Daytona. If this is the case, you should run the propshaft about even with the bottom of the center pod but remember, water pressure is your friend. Run at least 12lbs. With a 28" prop, I would expect RPM's in the 6,000 range. Your best bet might be to down size to a 26" prop which will give you a hell of a lot better excelleration and shouldn't hurt you on top end. You should turn a 26" prop in the mid to upper 6's.
Couple things to keep in mind about a "stock" type motor on a tunnel boat (and this comes from someone with experience $$$$). I would remove the thermostats from the powerhead and run stainless washers. You will get better water flow and a cooler running motor which will make it less likely that you fry your motor. I fried a 200hp Merc. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Your best bang for the buck on hp gains is a relieved exhaust system. It isn't too expensive and will give about 20 - 25 hp combined with a nice stainless exhaust tuner.
Gearcase..............they are more expensive than you think. Invest the money up front for a Bob's nose cone/LWP and heavy duty bearing carrier. The nose cone/LWP are mandatory if you want to run the propshaft even with the center pod. The heavy duty bearing carrier will support the internal componets much, much better under the stress created by running your prop near the surface. I have been through two gearcases, and this is the best money ever spent.
Good Luck with your boat and post a picture if you get a chance. :cool:

Bahner tunnel
12-02-2002, 06:20 PM
Thanks for the advice . It looks like I have a few things to tend to this winter. How much is the trick bearing carrier? Does the motor run "too" cold without the thermostats . I saw 150 degrees wide open all afternoon with around 180 when comming down to idle after a high speed run. What motor / prop combo are you running on your boat?
[ December 02, 2002, 06:21 PM: Message edited by: Bahner tunnel ]

HavasuDreamin'
12-03-2002, 07:02 AM
Bahner tunnel:
Thanks for the advice . It looks like I have a few things to tend to this winter. How much is the trick bearing carrier? Does the motor run "too" cold without the thermostats . I saw 150 degrees wide open all afternoon with around 180 when comming down to idle after a high speed run. What motor / prop combo are you running on your boat?You know, I had mine done so long ago (about '96) that I don't remember how much the heavy duty carrier was. I wouldn't think any more than a few hundred installed. It sounds like your running temp is okay, but as you raise your motor to get more speed, keep an eye on the temp and water pressure. Run no less than 12lbs of water pressure at WOT. At lower speeds, you won't see 12lbs........that is normal.
Without thermostats your motor can run too cold. In fact, I think mine does. But what you can do to regulate water temp is put stainless washers in the thermostats place. You can control the water flow by the inside diameter of the washer. Bigger inside diameter equals more flow. This is just food for thought when and if your motor starts to run warm.
I am running a 2.4L carb. bridgeport. The block is a 1990 that was completely rebuilt in '96. I put that powerhead on after frying my 2.4L 200 black max. Just after break in on the bridgeport, I sheered my propshaft. Lost my beautiful Merc Chopper at the bottom of Havasu as well. That is when I learned the valuable lesson about bearing carriers. I also put a 1 piece propshaft in the gearcase at the time the carrier was upgraded. Mercury uses 2 piece propshafts on all their motors aside from the race motors (2.5L series). Currently I am spinning a 3 blade Mazco RE 14.5x26 about 7,400 RPM. Not quite sure how fast I am going though, I need a GPS. I estimate between 85 and 90.
Good Luck

D-BO
12-03-2002, 07:59 AM
We have a 19 liberator with a 200hp merc on it! If I remember correctly it ran 86 on the gps at 7200rpm. That was with a 26 chopper.

Bahner tunnel
12-03-2002, 08:28 PM
Thanks D-BO , now to look for the hidden 10 mph.

D-BO
12-04-2002, 08:46 AM
If you find it let me know, I sure can't find it! My prop shaft is running an inch below the bottom of the boat. I had to put it there to make it drivable in the rough water!! Need anything else please just let me know!!

Bahner tunnel
12-04-2002, 06:12 PM
Thanks again for the info.