PDA

View Full Version : I need a delivery driver

Cigalert
08-30-2007, 06:32 AM
I hired a guy 6 months ago to start selling because he said....well, he could sell. He didn't sell a GD thing. So he wanted to start on a route...I gave him a route. He came in today and said his back hurts.....
He's at home now if anyone wants a friend to hang out with.
I'm looking for someone who can sell and drive. Anyone have anyone who knows anyone who might have someone for this? Son, grandson, nephew, aunt, uncle, sister, grandpa I don't descrimnate.
$12/hr, 10% commission, full bennis 5 day work week delivering and selling bread from LA to Glendora all the way south to the whales vagina.
Garden Grove, CA
Pass it around like herpes.

fatboy95
08-30-2007, 06:47 AM
Seems you just can't believe what's on a resume. Did you give him some training or just toss him the keys to the truck. What types of products are you selling?

Rexone
08-30-2007, 06:50 AM
delivering and selling bread
What types of products are you selling?
:idea:

lalhc
08-30-2007, 07:04 AM
No more Wonder Bread or Roman Meal. Time to capture that market share.

Cigalert
08-30-2007, 07:18 AM
Seems you just can't believe what's on a resume. Did you give him some training or just toss him the keys to the truck. What types of products are you selling?
Like rexone said...Bread. That's it. Sub rolls, sliced bread, hamburger/hotdog buns to restaurants, hotels, sports venues and mom&pop shops.
Trained him for 2 months and made sales calls right next to him for 1 month.
No more Wonder Bread or Roman Meal. Time to capture that market share.
You noticed;)...yeah I would like someone to pursue a sliver of that market share immediately. Our old bakery is dedicating a line specifically for that market and there is no way they can handle what the big boys were doing out of 4 major plants with 1300 employees. There is tons of money to be made after October 29th.

lalhc
08-30-2007, 07:34 AM
Do you allow your drivers to take home their trucks loaded w/merchandise for next day delivery or do they have to drive in to Garden Grove every morning?

HOOTER SLED-
08-30-2007, 07:36 AM
Booooy, them bread guys work early, long hours. :)

socalmoney
08-30-2007, 07:40 AM
I heard there is a lot of "bread" to be made with bread delivery. At least on the east coast. Artie on Howard spent some time talking about it a while back.

STV_Keith
08-30-2007, 07:51 AM
His back hurts from delivering BREAD!? Damn.

Cheap Thrills
08-30-2007, 08:14 AM
I'm looking for someone who can sell and drive. Anyone have anyone who knows anyone who might have someone for this? Son, grandson, nephew, aunt, uncle, sister, grandpa I don't descrimnate.
$12/hr, 10% commission, full bennis 5 day work week delivering and selling bread from LA to Glendora all the way south to the whales vagina.
Garden Grove, CA
At $12 an hour I don't see how you could afford to Discriminate . Even the lowest paid driving gig I have ever had averaged over twice that, 20 years ago. Yes yes yes +10%..... 10% of what ? Total driver sales?
Or total profit from drivers sales? You'll need more bacon on the table to interest a real driver.
I'm not meaning for that to be a flame post. Although the smartass in me is rearing it's ugly head. I'm a little grumpy this morning because I haven't pooped yet.
Hey Brown... Hook a brothah up with some Colace. I know you're holdin. :D
:idea:
Surely that doesn't surprise you does it ?
T.

Jordy
08-30-2007, 08:27 AM
His back hurts from delivering BREAD!? Damn.
Whatever Mr. I was going to drown after swimming. :D :D :D
Hey Pot, I got Kettle on the phone for ya. :D

HOOTER SLED-
08-30-2007, 08:40 AM
I heard there is a lot of "bread" to be made with bread delivery. At least on the east coast. Artie on Howard spent some time talking about it a while back.
Alot of these guys work as Independents. The $$ depends on the route location as well. Once established, one can hire their own Merchandiser/Salesman and split a route or have someone run it for them sharing some commission. This sounds like maybe what Cig is doing. The Entenmanns, Pepperidge Farms guys do this as well. The real $$ is to be made in selling off the routes too.

HOOTER SLED-
08-30-2007, 08:43 AM
At $12 an hour I don't see how you could afford to Discriminate . Even the lowest paid driving gig I have ever had averaged over twice that, 20 years ago. Yes yes yes +10%..... 10% of what ? Total driver sales?
Or total profit from drivers sales? You'll need more bacon on the table to interest a real driver.
I'm not meaning for that to be a flame post. Although the smartass in me is rearing it's ugly head. I'm a little grumpy this morning because I haven't pooped yet.
Surely that doesn't surprise you does it ?
T.
Sounds to me like you are sizing up this guys offer based on hourly rate. I'd venture to say that this driver could probably make 40-50 grand/yr. on a route, potentially more.

Cheap Thrills
08-30-2007, 09:02 AM
Sounds to me like you are sizing up this guys offer based on hourly rate. I'd venture to say that this driver could probably make 40-50 grand/yr. on a route, potentially more.
You are right, I am. It's all he threw out there. Must be some hella commission to double what was posted as the hourly rate. It may be a great gig for someone out there. But for someone with 15yrs. OTR experience the offer didn't seem all that enticing. I was merely suggesting he throw a little more out there such as potential earning level. I believe that If he had thrown out 50K earning potential in the offer, along with what kind of benefits, then it would have peaked interest in the caliber of driver he is seeking. That's all.
Best of luck.
T.

HOOTER SLED-
08-30-2007, 09:12 AM
You are right, I am. It's all he threw out there. Must be some hella commission to double what was posted as the hourly rate. It may be a great gig for someone out there. But for someone with 15yrs. OTR experience the offer didn't seem all that enticing. I was merely suggesting he throw a little more out there such as potential earning level. I believe that If he had thrown out 50K earning potential in the offer, along with what kind of benefits, then it would have peaked interest in the caliber of driver he is seeking. That's all.
Best of luck.
T.
He's talking Driver Sales. Not like an "A" driver. These guys drive UPS style trucks and deliver bread.

Big Warlock
08-30-2007, 09:20 AM
Best of luck.
T.
Honestly, you made $22 an hour OTR 20 years ago??? I have to ask what company and are they still in business? And only top driver at top companies like UPS and FEDEX would command that kind of money in today's market. Most OTR drivers make around 21 cents per mile solo and 10 to 12 cents a mile tandem (drivers). Most guys around here in construction make from $16 to $20 per hour with a CDL. Am I out of line here on wages??

jbtrailerjim
08-30-2007, 09:25 AM
Most guys around here in construction make from $16 to $20 per hour with a CDL. Am I out of line here on wages??
I don't think you're out of line. I pay my truck driver $16 an hour. $16 to $20 an hour is about the normal wage for local drivers around here unless you work for one of the big union carriers.

Cigalert
08-30-2007, 10:14 AM
$12 an hour plus 10% commission on any sales brought in by the driver. Based on my personal experience hitting the bricks and talking with customers a sales/driver has the erning potential of $40-50k. With the local market being a little jacked up I would say anyone hungry enough has the potential for at least $80k.
I would like to offer more per hour but then again if I was offering more per hour I'd drop the commission. Maybe down the road I'll be offering some tractor positions for drop ship out of state but until I fill the immediate need for a driver, it is what it is. For someone who just wants to drive and do sales on the side the $12/hr is a little low. For someone who wants to sell and make decent cash the $12/hr is just money in the bank.
These are class A drivers averaging about 70-150 miles a day with 12-25 stops in a day. I cannot comment on how much all of my drivers get hooked up with food, drinks and whatever else they get as hand outs while I on the road. I have instructed everyone to not take hand-outs....or at least don't let me find out about it.

STV_Keith
Whatever Mr. I was going to drown after swimming. :D :D :D
Hey Pot, I got Kettle on the phone for ya. :D
Even with all your "padding" to help keep you afloat...I'd love to see you try it there kaptain keyboard. :sqeyes:

Cheap Thrills
Well maybe it wasn't 20 years ago maybe a little less than.
I was making around .38c a mi. hauling hazmat. + $20 every time I bumped a dock. + paid unloading when it was required. along with the paid layover if there was one, yearly safety bonuses, and benefits it was well over $20 an hour.
I understand that he's looking for a driver to do route sales and delivery, and not an OTR. maybe 12 an hour +ben. is the going rate now a days I don't know. But for me to want to jump into a bread wagon and sling dough it'll take a little more than what was offered, or at least a little more creative & descriptive job listing.
Again.
Best of Luck.
T.

chase8
08-30-2007, 11:43 AM
South to the "Whales Vagina" WTF?

Cigalert
08-30-2007, 12:17 PM
South to the "Whales Vagina" WTF?
I'm Ron Burgundy?
Anchorman...watch it...it's your friend.
Discovered by the Germans in 1904, they named it San Diego, which of course in German means a whale's vagina.

cxr133
08-30-2007, 12:50 PM
I hired a guy 6 months ago to start selling because he said....well, he could sell. He didn't sell a GD thing. So he wanted to start on a route...I gave him a route. He came in today and said his back hurts.....
Garden Grove, CA
I CAN DO IT... on only one day of training.
because i intend to hurt my back on the second day and go drink beer with that other guy:D

Big Warlock
08-30-2007, 01:03 PM
Well maybe it wasn't 20 years ago maybe a little less than.
I was making around .38c a mi. hauling hazmat. + $20 every time I bumped a dock. + paid unloading when it was required. along with the paid layover if there was one, yearly safety bonuses, and benefits it was well over $20 an hour.
I understand that he's looking for a driver to do route sales and delivery, and not an OTR. maybe 12 an hour +ben. is the going rate now a days I don't know. But for me to want to jump into a bread wagon and sling dough it'll take a little more than what was offered, or at least a little more creative & descriptive job listing.
Again.
Best of Luck.
T.
Not a bad gig!! :)

Rvr Swpr
08-30-2007, 04:28 PM
We pay union Street Sweeper drivers $36.21 per hour,plus $17.75 per hour benefits.They must know how to operate. We cannot find enough people that are interested.It's hard work.

jackpunx
08-30-2007, 04:33 PM
Garden Grove, CA
I have two friends getting laid off from middlebrook.. I'll let them know

WishIknew
08-30-2007, 07:13 PM
This is exactly what is wrong with this state no body wants to work???????????WTF??????

Cigalert
08-31-2007, 04:01 AM
This is exactly what is wrong with this state no body wants to work???????????WTF??????
Pretty much my point daily.

raff
08-31-2007, 05:03 AM
Tell me about it, it's like no one wants to work any more. I have been looking for drivers for over 3-months now. Class A-Driver starting pay at $16.00 an hour plus benefits. They ether can't pass the back round and if they get that far they fail the drug.:jawdrop:
I just don't get it:confused:

Cigalert
08-31-2007, 05:23 AM
Tell me about it, it's like no one wants to work any more. I have been looking for drivers for over 3-months now. Class A-Driver starting pay at $16.00 an hour plus benefits. They ether can't pass the back round and if they get that far they fail the drug.:jawdrop:
I have some little elf that takes my forklift and drives it out of a roll-up door opening without completely opening the roll-up. Nobody has seen this elf or can give me a description of him so I can make a report.

raff
08-31-2007, 05:28 AM
I have some little elf that takes my forklift and drives it out of a roll-up door opening without completely opening the roll-up. Nobody has seen this elf or can give me a description of him so I can make a report.
That elf is every where, in my yard at work hits parked trucks and every thing else.:eek:

Eliminator 4 Life
08-31-2007, 06:47 AM
We pay union Street Sweeper drivers $36.21 per hour,plus $17.75 per hour benefits.They must know how to operate. We cannot find enough people that are interested.It's hard work.
Where is this street sweeping gig Im ready to retire from UPS.:D

jackpunx
08-31-2007, 07:01 AM
Do you give them any OT?
Im a local 399 (studio transportation)

jackpunx
08-31-2007, 07:03 AM
Are you out of Burbank?
I have a couple of guys trying to get into the studio's that are not working all that much right now.
they can pass the drug/background.
PM me if you want me to connect you guys
Mark

raff
08-31-2007, 07:43 AM
Are you out of Burbank?
I have a couple of guys trying to get into the studio's that are not working all that much right now.
they can pass the drug/background.
PM me if you want me to connect you guys
Mark
Commerce Ca.
Check your PM's.

Chipster27
08-31-2007, 07:47 AM
Sales....it's a PAY FOR PERFORMANCE position. Screw the salary, if you PERFORM you can make a lot of money. I have reps working for me making $150k-$170k a year. We've had them hit over $400k a year. They work their ass off and they make the money.
You want a bigger salary, take a position that has a lower risk/reward compensation plan. Sales is the EASIEST low paying job or it can be a HIGH paying rewarding career. It's up to the individual and their drive/determination.
Cigalert, good luck finding someone. Finding the right people is hard to do, but they are out there.

mxbundy
08-31-2007, 08:55 AM
You have got to be kidding me, I wouldn't wipe my ass for 16 dollars an hour.
With the cost of living around here it would take all 4 of your months weekly pay checks just to rent an apartment thats not infested with crack whores and transients!
Benefits are useless if you can only afford to put a roof over your head, what about eating?
No wonder we are being overrun from the south, and it takes several family's living under one roof for them to make it!
Employers not wanting or not willing to pay a decent LIVING wage is gonna send this country down the shitter!
Seriously, do any of you guys think that you could live on 16 bucks an hour?
The reason you are only getting loser's for applicants is because they are the only ones who could live off those kind of wages, either by sponging off of relatives or living in one of those half way house things.

Eliminator 4 Life
08-31-2007, 08:58 AM
Sales....it's a PAY FOR PERFORMANCE position. Screw the salary, if you PERFORM you can make a lot of money. I have reps working for me making $150k-$170k a year. We've had them hit over $400k a year. They work their ass off and they make the money.
You want a bigger salary, take a position that has a lower risk/reward compensation plan. Sales is the EASIEST low paying job or it can be a HIGH paying rewarding career. It's up to the individual and their drive/determination.
Cigalert, good luck finding someone. Finding the right people is hard to do, but they are out there.
Sales are easy as long as it is something you love to do or really know your product is the best.

Cigalert
08-31-2007, 09:22 AM
Thanks for the vote of confidence...when we getting those beers, I'm thirsty?

raff
08-31-2007, 04:47 PM
You have got to be kidding me, I wouldn't wipe my ass for 16 dollars an hour.
With the cost of living around here it would take all 4 of your months weekly pay checks just to rent an apartment thats not infested with crack whores and transients!
Benefits are useless if you can only afford to put a roof over your head, what about eating?
No wonder we are being overrun from the south, and it takes several family's living under one roof for them to make it!
Employers not wanting or not willing to pay a decent LIVING wage is gonna send this country down the shitter!
Seriously, do any of you guys think that you could live on 16 bucks an hour?
The reason you are only getting loser's for applicants is because they are the only ones who could live off those kind of wages, either by sponging off of relatives or living in one of those half way house things.
I don't know if you read the thread, but I did mention STARTING PAY
That does not include OT pay, ($22.00 per hour) average work week is 55-60 hours a week.
No college degree, not even a high school diploma required, sorry but this is the kind of people who MOVE AMERICA!!! Get you all your goods to your grocery stores, fast food restaurants etc. Unless you want to pay $20 for a burger or a gallon of milk, this is all you are going to get being a truck driver.
STARTING PAY.... you can't start at the top, if you were running a company, and could only charge a certain amount of money to your customer for delivering your goods, you can't bankrupt yourself by paying them $30 per hour. All the retail locations WON'T PAY for high priced delivery.
Obviously, you don't know anything about overhead, or running a company, if you have to make crappy remarks, take it somewhere else.

boatnam2
08-31-2007, 04:49 PM
hey cigalert did you get my pm?

Tom Brown
08-31-2007, 04:51 PM
You might be surprised and even upset by what lurks in my medicine cabinet.
..... and if you dig irony, I'm not qualified to drive a truck because I'm not a recreational drug user.

raff
08-31-2007, 04:52 PM
Oh by the way, if you read the paper or watch the news, the LARGEST bakery in SO CAL, Interstate Bakery (MILLBROOK, WONDER BREAD, ETC) just shut down 4 of their in SO CAL. REASON????????? I'm glad you asked.........
The union crushed them with all their demands of $22.00 per hour employees..... Can't charge $10 for a loaf of bread, so they basically had to shut down due to BANKRUPTCY!!
1300 people now out of a job as of October 29, 2007.
Work union, Live better :rolleyes:

Cigalert
08-31-2007, 06:55 PM
Oh by the way, if you read the paper or watch the news, the LARGEST bakery in SO CAL, Interstate Bakery (MILLBROOK, WONDER BREAD, ETC) just shut down 4 of their in SO CAL. REASON????????? I'm glad you asked.........
The union crushed them with all their demands of $22.00 per hour employees..... Can't charge $10 for a loaf of bread, so they basically had to shut down due to BANKRUPTCY!!
We're non union for that exact reason. If I had to pay all my employees $22 an hour I could produce and sell the bread no problem at our current prices....you'd just have to furnish your own hairnet, finish baking, bring your own package and pick it up at my location yourself.

scooooter7
08-31-2007, 07:16 PM
I'm interested and a hard worker...got any openings??

Rvr Swpr
08-31-2007, 11:53 PM
Where is this street sweeping gig Im ready to retire from UPS.:D
UPS is hard to beat. Your retirement must be looking good.

Rvr Swpr
08-31-2007, 11:56 PM
I'm interested and a hard worker...got any openings??
After the holiday,we should talk.

Rvr Swpr
09-01-2007, 12:02 AM
Do you give them any OT?
Im a local 399 (studio transportation)
The customer determines if they want to keep the truck into OT,or if Saturday.

mxbundy
09-01-2007, 12:57 AM
I don't know if you read the thread, but I did mention STARTING PAY
That does not include OT pay, ($22.00 per hour) average work week is 55-60 hours a week.
No college degree, not even a high school diploma required, sorry but this is the kind of people who MOVE AMERICA!!! Get you all your goods to your grocery stores, fast food restaurants etc. Unless you want to pay $20 for a burger or a gallon of milk, this is all you are going to get being a truck driver.
STARTING PAY.... you can't start at the top, if you were running a company, and could only charge a certain amount of money to your customer for delivering your goods, you can't bankrupt yourself by paying them $30 per hour. All the retail locations WON'T PAY for high priced delivery.
Obviously, you don't know anything about overhead, or running a company, if you have to make crappy remarks, take it somewhere else.
Honestly,
Could you make it off of that? 50 to 60 hours? I guess that would be close to 50000 a year, but that is the barest minimum A guy could make and support a family.
My FIRST real job I ever had (not a part time deal while in high school) was toting a chain saw all day long cutting timber for my grandpa`s saw mill. This was in 1982 and I was making 15 an hour!
This didn't require any higher education so I never got any, haven`t needed it since. Went on to running the heavy equipment and delivering the lumber.
Moved out hear in 90 and went into the construction industry (non-union).
It has been very-very good to me. In my trade you basically make as much as you can handle.
Listen I know what you are saying about the supply and demand thing.
The 16 bucks would be an excellent pay rate anywhere else other than So. Kalifornia.
The social and economic balance here is just all f**ked up. With the cost of living being artificially inflated by our stupid mortgage industry giving everybody that fills out an app. a mortgage. Creating bidding wars and driving up the cost of buying a house.
Then the land lords got greedy and raised rents like crazy also.
I am not implying that you are a cheap skate, but the pressures you and other employers all across the country are dealing with now is caused by a cost of living that is out of control.
But I see this kind of stuff all the time with laborers that we hire. They have a hard time getting to work, are always broke and generally have a pretty depressing life, that is why you are getting bottom feeders. The real go getters and self motivated types are looking for something that will support them and their families.

mxbundy
09-01-2007, 01:11 AM
Yes I saw that, but this just proves my point. They will move and set up shop elsewhere where a guy (or girl) can live off of the 15 to 16 dollar wage.
I am telling you Ca. is rotten to the core.( And not the only place either ) And I say this because I am not a NATIVE and have lived all over this country (8 different states) and found it MUCH easier to make ends meet elsewhere.
How much would those same employees make in New York? Nothing probably,
I would guess that it is too expensive to make bread in New York city. So the plants are in Jersey or up state New York where the cost of living is much cheaper.
How much has the price of bread gone up in price over the last 10 to 15 years? I think that the price of food stuffs has been kept at artificially low rates for years. Probably influenced by the influx of cheap ILLEGALLY labor!
Everything else in life has just about doubled or tripled in the same amount of time.

LOWRIVER2
09-01-2007, 02:32 AM
Saturday jobs are great, cash and carry.
I think the operators union is around 39/hour then goes up to 1/2/ double at points after 8 hr. shift.
RVR swpr, you run mini (skid steer) sweepers up there? Just curious, I do this with mini grinding as a side job down in OC. I looked at buying a sweep truck but they seem to require a lot of maintenance, correct?