PDA

View Full Version : DCB MACH 22 PROMAX OR 300X????

ZSARGO
09-18-2002, 06:16 PM
I JUST SOLD MY 2.5 MERC OFF MY 98 MACH 22. I WAS PLANNING ON GETTING A 300X PUT ON IT. IT WILL RUN ABOUT $18,00O INSTALLED. MOST OF THE POSTS I HAVE SEEN TELL A STORY OF AROUND 88 MPH WITH THE OLD 300 PROMAX. THE BOAT RAN 84 WITH THE 300 PRO MAX IN HOT BOAT. THEY SAY IT WILL DO BETWEEN 92-95MPH WITH THE 300X. I CAN PICK UP A USED 300 PROMAX FOR ABOUT $11,000. NOT SURE IF I WANT TO SPEND THE EXTRA $7000 ON THE 300X UNLESS I SEE A BIG DIFFERENCE IN PERFORMANCE. I KNOW THE 300X REVS ABOUT 600 RPM HIGHER THAN THE PROMAX. ANYONE HAVE EXPERIENCE WITH THE MACH22 WITH EITHER MOTORS?? I'M SURE MANY WITH THE PROMAX AND FEW WITH THE 300X. SINCE I ALREADY KNOW TOBTEK WILL RESPOND TO THIS POST. WHAT IS DAVE TELLING YOU YOUR NEW BOAT WILL DO TOP END.

TOBTEK
09-18-2002, 07:00 PM
LES.....your to funny :D From what I have been told by Dave from DCB and many, many people the two motors are worlds different and you can not compare the two! I have gone back and forth on new and finding a used mach, but with everything I keep hearing I want to get the 300x! Not for the extra power ( dont need a 100mph boat, mid 80's is fast enough for me!)altough the extra bottom end tourqe would be nice.
all but one of the five 22's which ive inquired about with promax 300's have had the lower end rebuilt....hmmmmm why? they all have the "new" shafts. I have been told they are much more reliable in every way, better fuel economy,better reed life with the new carbon fiber reeds, better charging system, ect,ect....Now Les, please keep in mind this is what ive been told by SALESPEOPLE. I think you will be happy with either 300 you put on the back! But if your going to spend some big dough, spend the extra and get the latest and greatest....my .02
BTW.....yes DCB is saying mid 90's on the new 03 with 300x. I wish they were putting jackplates on these like the new cougar's are....
[ September 18, 2002, 08:02 PM: Message edited by: TOBTEK ]

ZSARGO
09-18-2002, 07:30 PM
THE 300 PRO MAX I WAS THINKING ABOUT BUYING IS BOATMASTER'S BUDDIES. HE WILL GIVE ME A GREAT DEAL ON A LOWER UNIT WITH THE THICKER PROP SHAFT. I CAN GET INTO THE MOTOR CHEAP. BUT 90 SOUNDS SO MUCH BETTER THAN 80.

Skaterfast
09-18-2002, 07:38 PM
Be careful and do a little more investigating.I think the diference in horsepower is 15 or 20 HP between the 300 and 300x.There is no way that is going to get you 5 more mph.Even if it does rev higher you need the power to get the mph and for 5 more mph you would need more than 50hp.

ZSARGO
09-18-2002, 08:37 PM
I THINK IT'S THE TORQUE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE TWO MOTORS. THE 300X ALSO PUT OUT 326 HORSEPOWER AT AROUND 4500 RPM. MAXING OUT AT 329 AT 6000 RPM. EVERYBODY IS REALLY GIVING ALOT OF PRAISE TO THE NEW 300X. LOU AT LAKELAND MARINE SAID THEY ARE SEEING ABOUT 9 MILES AN HOUR FASTER BETWEEN THE PROMAX AND THE NEW X. 7G FOR 9 MILES PER HOUR. THEY SAY THAT IN THE BOATING WORLD YOU GET 1 MPH PER THOUSAND SPENT. RUMOR HAS IT!!!!! SEE THE 25 DAYTONA THAT WENT 144 IN POWERBOAT. YOU GUESSED IT. PRICE TAG $144,000.

WaltersCamp
09-19-2002, 04:26 AM
Every single Mach22 I have ever seen has a 300x, except me. You don't want to be sitting on the sandbar wishing you had more HP. Go big!
That's my $0.000000000002

HavasuDreamin'
09-19-2002, 05:52 AM
Skaterfast:
Be careful and do a little more investigating.I think the diference in horsepower is 15 or 20 HP between the 300 and 300x.There is no way that is going to get you 5 more mph.Even if it does rev higher you need the power to get the mph and for 5 more mph you would need more than 50hp.According to HavasuBarney and others, there is about a 50hp difference........something like 280pshp vs. 330pshp. I have heard the electronics on the 300X are far superior to the electronics on the previous 300 pro max. If it were me, I would most likely go for the 300x. Good Luck :cool:

TOBTEK
09-19-2002, 07:34 AM
ZSARGO:
THE 300 PRO MAX I WAS THINKING ABOUT BUYING IS BOATMASTER'S BUDDIES. HE WILL GIVE ME A GREAT DEAL ON A LOWER UNIT WITH THE THICKER PROP SHAFT. I CAN GET INTO THE MOTOR CHEAP. BUT 90 SOUNDS SO MUCH BETTER THAN 80.So, the 300promax is a used motor? Now you have to consider if the used 300 has a problem its your baby because you dont have a warranty. I was looking at a boat with a 300P-max, had some hours on it. DCB said when the top end went it was going to cost between 5-7K to rebuild it! IF the worst happend to you, you wouldnt be saving any money. and you would still have the old motor. Id go for the new one with the full warranty! Its just money, you can always make more....and im sure you would be more happy knowing you have the best available...

ZSARGO
09-19-2002, 11:01 AM
TIME TO TAKE THE CHANGE JUG DOWN TO COINSTAR. FORUM SAYS...... 300X. AT LEAST I KNOW I WILL BE NECK AND NECK WITH TOBTEK. HOW MUCH DO YOU WEIGH ANYWAYS? MIGHT HAVE TO LOSE A FEW FOUNDS OR MAYBE EMPLOYEE A JOCKEY TO TAKE YA. WHEN WILL YOUR 22 BE READY?

HavasuDreamin'
09-19-2002, 12:01 PM
TOBTEK:
ZSARGO:
THE 300 PRO MAX I WAS THINKING ABOUT BUYING IS BOATMASTER'S BUDDIES. HE WILL GIVE ME A GREAT DEAL ON A LOWER UNIT WITH THE THICKER PROP SHAFT. I CAN GET INTO THE MOTOR CHEAP. BUT 90 SOUNDS SO MUCH BETTER THAN 80.So, the 300promax is a used motor? Now you have to consider if the used 300 has a problem its your baby because you dont have a warranty. I was looking at a boat with a 300P-max, had some hours on it. DCB said when the top end went it was going to cost between 5-7K to rebuild it! IF the worst happend to you, you wouldnt be saving any money. and you would still have the old motor. Id go for the new one with the full warranty! Its just money, you can always make more....and im sure you would be more happy knowing you have the best available...Very good advice..............

Whatboat
09-19-2002, 12:37 PM
Just between you and Me. The promax powerhead is
built on the same line as all standard 3.0 L's. That does'nt make it a bad motor, it's just done on a assembly line. The X is assembled by hand. one at a time. Whats better is your choice.

TOBTEK
09-19-2002, 01:07 PM
Whatboat:
Just between you and Me. The promax powerhead is
built on the same line as all standard 3.0 L's. That does'nt make it a bad motor, it's just done on a assembly line. The X is assembled by hand. one at a time. Whats better is your choice.but the 300x has alot of advancements...doesn't it? that is what ive been told by many people in the biz. Was told that they are night and day :confused: Like I said I have never owned either, just going by people in the biz and I think DCB has a pretty good rep for being honest.the 300x just sounds like the better choice IN THIS CASE, if the 300 promax was new with a warranty and 7000.00 less, now that would be very hard to pass on. Just my two pennies....

TOBTEK
09-19-2002, 01:14 PM
ZSARGO:
TIME TO TAKE THE CHANGE JUG DOWN TO COINSTAR. FORUM SAYS...... 300X. AT LEAST I KNOW I WILL BE NECK AND NECK WITH TOBTEK. HOW MUCH DO YOU WEIGH ANYWAYS? MIGHT HAVE TO LOSE A FEW FOUNDS OR MAYBE EMPLOYEE A JOCKEY TO TAKE YA. WHEN WILL YOUR 22 BE READY?Les, just close one more loan a month for 3 month's and its all paid off...no sweat for a STEPPER like yourself wink Our (like that, not mine)new DCB starter boat will be done for the L.A boat show in spring time...I hope. As far as my weight...hmmmmm lets just say the misses cooks VERY well! Tobtek is gotten larger in the past yr. But the wedding is ON for September 03, So the Diet is on....and oh yea forgot to mention, the new 03 is complete CARBONFIBER layout....... :D

TOBTEK
09-19-2002, 01:15 PM
just kidding.......its normal glass!

WaltersCamp
09-19-2002, 02:27 PM
Let me be the first to Congratulate you on taking "The Big Plunge".
This was a good year for you. Marriage, new boat, and a new you, after the diet...sheeesh. What more could a guy ask for? Don't answer that.

TOBTEK
09-19-2002, 02:34 PM
WaltersCamp:
Let me be the first to Congratulate you on taking "The Big Plunge".
This was a good year for you. Marriage, new boat, and a new you, after the diet...sheeesh. What more could a guy ask for? Don't answer that.HEY thanks Mr WaltersCamp..its been a good year, and next will be even better...new boat in the spring, new wife in the fall, and get to hang at the river between.....should be good! if it EVER gets here. QUESTION? why as I get older, time goes by quicker? hmmmmm toby's deep though of the day....remember when summer vacation seemed like FOREVER?

TOBTEK
09-23-2002, 09:08 AM
Crusing through 30 or so old ***boat mag's for color and design for the new ride comming, and I came across a article about the new 300x outboard. The article said its an off the assembly line 300 with hand ported exuast ports, and a beefy prop shaft. Same charging system 60amps, rated at 325 prop HP (didnt state promax 300's) and they redid the rev limiter, increased by 500 RPM's..stated the promax 300 was hard to prop because of the low redline....
Les, if you buy the used motor can you buy a extented warranty? just a thought!

CMABadseed
09-23-2002, 01:14 PM
300x i think its the only way to go. I thought I remebered an earlier 22 with a 300pmax that fought hard to get 90, but dont know it they ever did. The hp #'s 280 vs. 325 are right on 40-50 xtra horses! With a warranty and about the best install around (if you have Dave's do it). Well worth the money. I've seen guys spend a lot more than that at DCB on a re-power!

ZSARGO
09-24-2002, 12:56 PM
DONE. THE 2.5 IS BEING PUT ON A 20.5 SEBRING LAVEYCRAFT AT LAKELAND MARINE TODAY. THAT THING SHOULD SCREAM WITH MY OLD MOTOR. HE HAD A 2.4 BRIDGEPORT THAT HAD JUST BLOWN UP. SO HE DECIDE TO BUY MY MOTOR FOR $7000. DEPOSIT IS ON THE 2003 300X AND WILL BE INSTALLED IN MARCH. NO MORE MIXING OIL AND DEAD BATTERIES. CAN'T WAIT.
:p

ZSARGO
09-24-2002, 12:57 PM
TOBTEK:
Crusing through 30 or so old ***boat mag's for color and design for the new ride comming, and I came across a article about the new 300x outboard. The article said its an off the assembly line 300 with hand ported exuast ports, and a beefy prop shaft. Same charging system 60amps, rated at 325 prop HP (didnt state promax 300's) and they redid the rev limiter, increased by 500 RPM's..stated the promax 300 was hard to prop because of the low redline....
Les, if you buy the used motor can you buy a extented warranty? just a thought!LIGHT COLORS TOBTEK. YELLOWS, GRAYS AND WHITES. KEEP THE WINDSHIELD PORTION LIGHT. MINE IS PURPLE AND IT'S A PAIN IN THE BUTT. JUST A THOUGHT.
[ September 24, 2002, 01:59 PM: Message edited by: ZSARGO ]

TOBTEK
09-24-2002, 04:22 PM
congrats Les on selling the 2.5! What year was that motor? I dont have a clue on what design or color to go with...may have stumbled into something interesting used today, I wont say anything other than it will do 115mph without a problem! hmmmmmmmmm wink

ZSARGO
09-24-2002, 06:40 PM
MACH 22 WITH TWINS??? YOU BETTER HAVE SOME HOURS BEHIND THE SEAT AND A FAT WALLET FOR INSURANCE PREMIUMS.
BUT IF YOUR GETTING A CAT OVER 25 FT. GO FOR IT.

TOBTEK
09-24-2002, 06:43 PM
ZSARGO:
MACH 22 WITH TWINS??? YOU BETTER HAVE SOME HOURS BEHIND THE SEAT AND A FAT WALLET FOR INSURANCE PREMIUMS.
BUT IF YOUR GETTING A CAT OVER 25 FT. GO FOR IT.why do you say "fat wallet" the gas? how bad is the insurance compaired to a single?

mbrown2
09-24-2002, 07:41 PM
TOBTEK:
ZSARGO:
BUT IF YOUR GETTING A CAT OVER 25 FT. GO FOR IT.why do you say "fat wallet" the gas? how bad is the insurance compaired to a single?Tobtek,
When I was looking at the used Mach 22's with twins with purchase price around 60K, I was getting quotes in the neighborhood of 1,500-1,900 yr. range. I figured it was not going to be much different with a 26...it only goes down if it is a V. The insurance on my 26 cat is around 2100yr, and the insurance on our 23 Eliminator Eagle is around $600. It just sucks that you can buy two boats same horsepower, but the cat is going to 3 times as much...the cat feels more safe at 80 than the Eagle does at 50...I guess no one ever said boating was a fair sport.

ZSARGO
09-24-2002, 09:08 PM
AFTER SOME RECENT ACCIDENTS WITH CATS PROGRESSIVE, ALONG WITH SOME OTHER INSURANCE COMPANIES, DID SOME STUDIES OF ACCIDENTS WITH CATS. IF YOU GET A DCB WITH TWINS I HEAR THE INSURANCE PREMIUM IS IN THE HIGH 2'S.
BMW FINANCE MANAGER. YOU HAVE TO BE PULLING DOWN $200K A YEAR EASY. DROP IN THE BUCKET.
I SEE SO MANY MACH 22'S WITH TWINS FOR SALE. I THINK YOU WILL BE MUCH BETTER OFF WITH ONE 300X. YOU SHOULD RUN IN THE HIGH 90'S. THESE BOATS LOVE TO DO THE LONG JUMP IN ABOUT 2 FOOT CHOP. SCARY AT 115.

Boatmaster
09-25-2002, 06:33 AM
Just for the record the 115 is where it's at. My 21 dcb with twins that I just sold was only 900 a year with overkill on the coverage. My new 25 with twin 300 is only 1400, same overkill coverage. It's all about life over 100MPH. P.S. One thing I will say that 22 with a single 300X will run much better in the Chop than the one with twins, and be much more user friendly. Can't wait to see it at Shasta next summer good luck with the color pick.

TOBTEK
09-25-2002, 08:25 AM
Boatmaster:
Just for the record the 115 is where it's at. My 21 dcb with twins that I just sold was only 900 a year with overkill on the coverage. My new 25 with twin 300 is only 1400, same overkill coverage. It's all about life over 100MPH. P.S. One thing I will say that 22 with a single 300X will run much better in the Chop than the one with twins, and be much more user friendly. Can't wait to see it at Shasta next summer good luck with the color pick.`
Drew.....why is the single motor better in the chop, compaired to the twin?

TOBTEK
09-25-2002, 08:29 AM
QUESTION OF THE DAY?????? do I buy the used/flawfless MACH22 with twin 2.5's that are almost brandnew or get the brandnew 03 MACH22 with a single 300x and spent about 10,000.00 more for the slower, not as trick NEW boat.....HELP ME MAKE A CHOICE! :confused:

kab
09-25-2002, 09:29 AM
Twin!!!!

TOBTEK
09-25-2002, 09:34 AM
kab:
Twin!!!!you just want someone to spank on the river, that LOOKS as fast! Will take years to learn to drive that beast!!!!......he said SPANK

mbrown2
09-25-2002, 10:04 AM
I say twins....if you single, you will want to go faster, and there is only so much you can do with a single pro max 300x. Yes, the maint, gas, etc..is more, but when you read the tests with the twins, the acceleration is incredible. I have heard from a number of folks that the single might handle chop better due to the weight displacement, but how much better is questionable...the 22 with single or twins is not going to be a BIG chop boat anyway...The boat looks tight with twins as well...and you will get used to it in a matter of months, so after you are comfortable doing high eighties or low nineties, you will be looking for more speed...
Plus once, you put additional folks and gear in the boat, the twin is going to be less affected by the increase in weight, and you will still be able to go fast...where is the single with weight added is going to be affected to a greater degree..just depends on what is more important less speed or more speed with more complexity and maint. cost...my .02

kab
09-25-2002, 10:05 AM
Well you might be right, but it wont take long to learn how to drive that thing. You'll probably be out in that thing every other day, at least every weekend.

mbrown2
09-25-2002, 10:25 AM
Tobtek,
BTW, thx for the advice you gave me on the used 22 Twin Optimax boat at DCB...when I went to look at it sometime back...it was just as you statedd..great boat, not great colors..I saw the same..that it was and incredibly equipped and immaculate boat with a very questionable color scheme....even now my wife says "I would never have let you buy that boat"...the colors did not look that bad online, but in person the gray and other colors just did not sit well.

TOBTEK
09-25-2002, 10:47 AM
mbrown2:
Tobtek,
BTW, thx for the advice you gave me on the used 22 Twin Optimax boat at DCB...when I went to look at it sometime back...it was just as you statedd..great boat, not great colors..I saw the same..that it was and incredibly equipped and immaculate boat with a very questionable color scheme....even now my wife says "I would never have let you buy that boat"...the colors did not look that bad online, but in person the gray and other colors just did not sit well.and if your going to have the weight of two motors, ya gotta go 2.5's. If its worth doing, do it right! :D

mbrown2
09-25-2002, 10:53 AM
Gotta agree with you there....I would do the 2.5 twins on the 22 before I would do twin 300's due to the lighter weight and ability to rev..In fact the engine combo, I would try to find or go with would be the 2.5 Offshore Racing...higher rev limiter without the gas requirements of the drag...but the drags would be tempting..

TOBTEK
09-25-2002, 11:47 AM
mbrown2:
Gotta agree with you there....I would do the 2.5 twins on the 22 before I would do twin 300's due to the lighter weight and ability to rev..In fact the engine combo, I would try to find or go with would be the 2.5 Offshore Racing...higher rev limiter without the gas requirements of the drag...but the drags would be tempting..dave was saying to me that twin 300's are to heavy for a 22. I was refering to the twin 225's in the showroom. Are you diggin the new 26? put up a pic of it so we can check it out.

ZSARGO
09-25-2002, 12:01 PM
TOBTEK:
QUESTION OF THE DAY?????? do I buy the used/flawfless MACH22 with twin 2.5's that are almost brandnew or get the brandnew 03 MACH22 with a single 300x and spent about 10,000.00 more for the slower, not as trick NEW boat.....HELP ME MAKE A CHOICE! :confused: I THINK FOR THE PRICE THE TWIN IS A GREAT DEAL. THE ONLY DOWNSIDE TO THE 2.5'S IS THE COST OF THE OIL, SINCE YOU HAVE TO RUN THE SYNTHETIC STUFF, AND THE CHARGING SYSTEM. MY BATTERIES WOULD ALWAYS DIE WITH THE 2.5. ARE THE HEADS HIGH COMPRESSION? MEANING YOU HAVE TO RUN AV GAS. I WOULD HAVE PROBABLY BOUGHT THIS BOAT FOR THE ASKING PRICE IF IT WAS AVAILABLE WHEN I WAS IN THE MARKET. I PICKED UP MY 22 FOR $30K AS A REPO SO I COULDN'T PASS IT UP. I KNEW THAT SOMEDAY I WOULD HAVE TO EITHER PUT ANOTHER 2.5 ON IT, SELL IT FOR PROFIT OR GET A 300X. I HEAR THE TWIN 2.5 IS A BITCH TO DRIVE IN BIGGER CHOP BECAUSE THE WEIGHT ON THE BACK OF THE BOAT MAKES THE IT ALMOST STAND UP ON END. BUT YOU KNOW.... ONCE YOU DRIVE THE SINGLE 300X FOR A WHILE YOU MIGHT WISH YOU BOUGHT THE TWINS. I'M ALREADY LOOKING AT UPGRADES FOR MY 300X THAT I DON'T EVEN OWN YET. THEN I WILL HAVE TO WAIT A YEAR TILL THE WARRANTY RUNS OUT. I WAS LOOKING ON MAD EFI'S WEB SIGHT AND THEY HAVE AN IGNITION SYSTEM, TUNER AND LIGHTER FLY WHEEL FOR THE 300X. CLAIMING 360+ HP ON PUMP GAS.

ZSARGO
09-25-2002, 12:07 PM
Boatmaster:
Just for the record the 115 is where it's at. My 21 dcb with twins that I just sold was only 900 a year with overkill on the coverage. My new 25 with twin 300 is only 1400, same overkill coverage. It's all about life over 100MPH. P.S. One thing I will say that 22 with a single 300X will run much better in the Chop than the one with twins, and be much more user friendly. Can't wait to see it at Shasta next summer good luck with the color pick.BOATMASTER,
WHO'S YOUR INSURANCE CARRIER? THAT'S CHEAP. MY QUESTION IS DO THEY KNOW THE BOAT DOES OVER 100MPH. I HAVE A BUDDY WHO HAS INSURANCE THROUGH ALLSTATE. HIS BOAT DOES 108MPH AND IS A CAT. ALLSTATE DOESN'T INSURE CATS OR BOATS OVER 65 MPH. I CALLED HIS AGENT TO GET A QUOTE. HE ASKED ME "HOW FAST IS YOUR BOAT." I SAID 75. HE SAID 65. NO. I SAID 75. HE ASKED AGAIN 65. AGAIN I REPLIED NO 75. HE SAID COME ON WORK WITH ME. I'M LOOKING TO BUY INSURANCE IF SOMETHING HAPPENS, NOT A PIECE OF PAPER THAT SAYS I HAVE INSURANCE. AGENTS WON'T ASK THE QUESTION. THEY WILL PUT DOWN A SPEED ON THE APPLICATION THAT FITS WITHIN THE GUIDELINES AND COLLECT A COMMISSION.
[ September 25, 2002, 01:13 PM: Message edited by: ZSARGO ]

TOBTEK
09-25-2002, 12:10 PM
ZSARGO:
TOBTEK:
QUESTION OF THE DAY?????? do I buy the used/flawfless MACH22 with twin 2.5's that are almost brandnew or get the brandnew 03 MACH22 with a single 300x and spent about 10,000.00 more for the slower, not as trick NEW boat.....HELP ME MAKE A CHOICE! :confused: I THINK FOR THE PRICE THE TWIN IS A GREAT DEAL. THE ONLY DOWNSIDE TO THE 2.5'S IS THE COST OF THE OIL, SINCE YOU HAVE TO RUN THE SYNTHETIC STUFF, AND THE CHARGING SYSTEM. MY BATTERIES WOULD ALWAYS DIE WITH THE 2.5. ARE THE HEADS HIGH COMPRESSION? MEANING YOU HAVE TO RUN AV GAS. I WOULD HAVE PROBABLY BOUGHT THIS BOAT FOR THE ASKING PRICE IF IT WAS AVAILABLE WHEN I WAS IN THE MARKET. I PICKED UP MY 22 FOR $30K AS A REPO SO I COULDN'T PASS IT UP. I KNEW THAT SOMEDAY I WOULD HAVE TO EITHER PUT ANOTHER 2.5 ON IT, SELL IT FOR PROFIT OR GET A 300X. I HEAR THE TWIN 2.5 IS A BITCH TO DRIVE IN BIGGER CHOP BECAUSE THE WEIGHT ON THE BACK OF THE BOAT MAKES THE IT ALMOST STAND UP ON END. BUT YOU KNOW.... ONCE YOU DRIVE THE SINGLE 300X FOR A WHILE YOU MIGHT WISH YOU BOUGHT THE TWINS. I'M ALREADY LOOKING AT UPGRADES FOR MY 300X THAT I DON'T EVEN OWN YET. THEN I WILL HAVE TO WAIT A YEAR TILL THE WARRANTY RUNS OUT. I WAS LOOKING ON MAD EFI'S WEB SIGHT AND THEY HAVE AN IGNITION SYSTEM, TUNER AND LIGHTER FLY WHEEL FOR THE 300X. CLAIMING 360+ HP ON PUMP GAS.les....these are stock 2.5's not the ss drag motors (92 pump gas)and the rev limiter is set very low, which I like. these are the newer 2.5's EFI and with the 50amp generators, so batteries SHOULDN't be a problem. Im still on the fense, get new with warranty and everything I want, or some badass twin for less $$$$$ ? dont know..will depend if he accepts my offer....

ZSARGO
09-25-2002, 12:16 PM
TOBTEK:
ZSARGO:
TOBTEK:
QUESTION OF THE DAY?????? do I buy the used/flawfless MACH22 with twin 2.5's that are almost brandnew or get the brandnew 03 MACH22 with a single 300x and spent about 10,000.00 more for the slower, not as trick NEW boat.....HELP ME MAKE A CHOICE! :confused: I THINK FOR THE PRICE THE TWIN IS A GREAT DEAL. THE ONLY DOWNSIDE TO THE 2.5'S IS THE COST OF THE OIL, SINCE YOU HAVE TO RUN THE SYNTHETIC STUFF, AND THE CHARGING SYSTEM. MY BATTERIES WOULD ALWAYS DIE WITH THE 2.5. ARE THE HEADS HIGH COMPRESSION? MEANING YOU HAVE TO RUN AV GAS. I WOULD HAVE PROBABLY BOUGHT THIS BOAT FOR THE ASKING PRICE IF IT WAS AVAILABLE WHEN I WAS IN THE MARKET. I PICKED UP MY 22 FOR $30K AS A REPO SO I COULDN'T PASS IT UP. I KNEW THAT SOMEDAY I WOULD HAVE TO EITHER PUT ANOTHER 2.5 ON IT, SELL IT FOR PROFIT OR GET A 300X. I HEAR THE TWIN 2.5 IS A BITCH TO DRIVE IN BIGGER CHOP BECAUSE THE WEIGHT ON THE BACK OF THE BOAT MAKES THE IT ALMOST STAND UP ON END. BUT YOU KNOW.... ONCE YOU DRIVE THE SINGLE 300X FOR A WHILE YOU MIGHT WISH YOU BOUGHT THE TWINS. I'M ALREADY LOOKING AT UPGRADES FOR MY 300X THAT I DON'T EVEN OWN YET. THEN I WILL HAVE TO WAIT A YEAR TILL THE WARRANTY RUNS OUT. I WAS LOOKING ON MAD EFI'S WEB SIGHT AND THEY HAVE AN IGNITION SYSTEM, TUNER AND LIGHTER FLY WHEEL FOR THE 300X. CLAIMING 360+ HP ON PUMP GAS.les....these are stock 2.5's not the ss drag motors (92 pump gas)and the rev limiter is set very low, which I like. these are the newer 2.5's EFI and with the 50amp generators, so batteries SHOULDN't be a problem. Im still on the fense, get new with warranty and everything I want, or some badass twin for less $$$$$ ? dont know..will depend if he accepts my offer....CAN'T GO WRONG THEN. EVEN IF YOU PAY THE FULL $58,500 FOR IT, IT'S STILL A SMOKING DEAL. I HAVE TO AGREE THAT IT DOES LOOK MUCH BETTER WITH THE TWINS.

mbrown2
09-25-2002, 12:52 PM
TOBTEK
Are you diggin the new 26? put up a pic of it so we can check it out.[/QB]Thnx..yeah..I am diggin it..I have a couple of pics but I will try and get some better pics this weekend..

TOBTEK
09-25-2002, 10:30 PM
IM MORE CONFUSED NOW THEN EVER!!!!!!!!!!! :confused: everybody (but Les & wife to be) :D is saying go with the twins....BUT for just a little more $$$$$ (10 G's apx) brandnew/5yrs newer, new super trick pewter C.N.C engraved hardware, colors and graphics of OUR (like that...our) choice, GPS speedo not the old tube off the back. AND the biggest thing 2003 has a WARRANTY. BUT the twin is sooooo bad to the bone. Are the twins that hard to drive compaired to a single, and does a single handle that much better in chopy water, in sure either wont turn like my old 18ft Lavey seabring. assuming the MACH rides and turns very flat...
How about watersking, wakeboarding, tube-o-death, can we still do this things with the twin? Thanks for all your advice and help, im sure im starting to BUG, I know im buggin at home!

Boatmaster
09-26-2002, 06:17 AM
The twin is very easy to drive. Very transom heavy so the chop is a little hard. You can't even compair the single with the twin on excell. If that boat has 280s they are much more user friendly than the 2.5 you had on the Lavey. My insurance is through Buzz at PMA. Don't take his first bid, you have to question everything and beat him up alittle. In the end Buzz will take good care of you. Yes, he knew the 21 did 110 and the 25 100plus. P.S. buy the twins and save some money, or catch yourself watching someother guy driving this boat past you next summer with your new 300X!

kab
09-26-2002, 06:24 AM
A single doesn't handle the chop better, just at a slower speed. The twin likes the chop at around 50 plus where the single 20 plus big difference. You wont find any chop down at Martinez that the twin wont just walk over, now if your going to parker don't even think about a 22, if havasu is where your going the twin is actually pretty good. The single will be easier to ski,tube and play behind. With all the money your saving you could have all new hardware installed-new pewter bracket,GPS speedo, etc and still be money ahead. I have two new quotes for the twin(insurance) around 1500-1800.

HavasuDreamin'
09-26-2002, 06:32 AM
Tobtek.................if it were me, if I liked the colors well enough, I would go with the twins. Why........because it is one of the baddest boats on the water....PERIOD! It is simply a question of being bad A$$.......do I want to own one of the baddest boats around or am I happy owning a very respectable tunnel boat (meaning 95mph) that might be a little more user friendly?
As far as the rough water goes, I wouldn't worry about that too much.....it isn't like you are going to be able to get out there and hammer it on a holiday weekend either way........22' is too small for that regardless of power. If rough water is a real concern, look for a bigger boat!
Will you be able to pull skiers, tubers, etc.? Skiers, not sure, all tunnel boats cavitate out of the hole! That makes it tough for skiers. Tubers, yes.......no problem. You just need a ski pylon. If it doesn't have one, DCB should be able to install it for not much $$$$$.
If the motors are the 2.5 280hp motors, you should not have a problem with the charging system. Just put good batteries in it and charge them up once a month during the summer.
There are only two negatives I see with the twins. You have to mix the oil instead of oil injection and your motors will tend to smoke a little when idleing around because of this. Other than that.........I would run synthetic in both the 2.5L and the 300x just to be safe and if the 2.5L do not have shaved heads, you will be fine with 93 octane (or 92 what ever you can get).
As far as maintenance, yes you will have a little bit more, but is it that big of a deal to change the gear lube on two O/B instead of one? Is it that much more difficult to change the water impellers out on two vs. one? For me I would do that to own one of the baddest boats on the water and that is the bottom line.
Good Luck! :D :cool:

mbrown2
09-26-2002, 08:05 AM
Gotta agree with Kab...with the money spent you can save you can upgrade the gauges...also, the warranty is for only a year and that goes quick...Not sure which boat you are looking at, but Stan Darger's boat (Yellow/Blue 22)in Idaho is a sweet rig, and priced the same as what you are paying for a single. Plus he has the 280's with the 60amp alt's on it and less than 50hrs on them with 100hrs on the boat. In addition, he has the custom seating so you won't need the open bow...also, he has the stainless torque tabs so you can plain at 15-20 mph for wakeboarding and sky-ski speeds...If I would not have gotten Kab's boat, I probably would have left DCB that day and called Stan on Monday. I talked to him that Friday and told I was going to DCB, but I would call him on Monday, I did..but only to tell him I was not getting his boat(nice guy)...that boat was built custom from the ground up..no expense spared and built to be family and rocket ride. You would have to also put a stereo in it..no biggy though. my .02.

jm2drvr
09-26-2002, 09:02 AM
hey tob, just got through dealing with the ins. sh#t all this week and last for 2003 mach 26 w/ twin 300x's. Best I could find was worldwide for $2100 per year, no layup. Good luck.

TOBTEK
09-26-2002, 09:52 AM
http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Reader_Rides/Outboards/DCBPAINT18.JPG
WELL, after seeing this 26 and talking with Joe @ DCB about that twin some more, I can't install the Kung-fu stereo system I would HAVE to install. Because of the fuel tanks and custom seating. Im going to follow through with the orig plan and stay with the slow single 300x just so Les has someone to race :D .....thanks for all your advice.
signed...still boatless till march03

ZSARGO
09-26-2002, 10:12 AM
TOBTEK:
WELL, after seeing this 26 and talking with Joe @ DCB about that twin some more, I can't install the Kung-fu stereo system I would HAVE to install. Because of the fuel tanks and custom seating. Im going to follow through with the orig plan and stay with the slow single 300x just so Les has someone to race :D .....thanks for all your advice.
signed...still boatless till march03SO YOU ARE LOOKING AT THE BOAT WITH THE YELLOWS AND BLUES. DID YOU SEE THE ONE IN NV. IT'S ON HOT BOAT CLASSIFIEDS. NOT SURE IF IT IS STILL AVAILABLE, BUT THE GUY IS ASKING $58K FOR IT. 1998 WITH TWINS. I KNOW YOU DON'T LIKE PURPLE.
signed...boatless but making payments on a hull with no motor till march 03 and then having to come up with another $12k for my 300x then. oach. don't feel bad tobtek. wink

ZSARGO
09-26-2002, 10:18 AM
ZSARGO:
TOBTEK:
signed...still boatless till march03SO YOU ARE LOOKING AT THE BOAT WITH THE YELLOWS AND BLUES. DID YOU SEE THE ONE IN NV. IT'S ON HOT BOAT CLASSIFIEDS. NOT SURE IF IT IS STILL AVAILABLE, BUT THE GUY IS ASKING $58K FOR IT. 1998 WITH TWINS. I KNOW YOU DON'T LIKE PURPLE.
signed...boatless but making payments on a hull with no motor till march 03 and then having to come up with another $12k for my 300x then. oach. don't feel bad tobtek. wink BY THE WAY WE SHOULD BE RUNNING 95+ WITH THE 300X. NOT EXACTLY SLOW. YOU'LL STILL BE FAST THAN 80% OF THE BOATS ON THE WATER. IN A 22 LOW PROFILE BOAT YOU'LL STILL BE HAVING A GOOD TIME. LUCKILY MY FRIENDS BOAT RUNS 106+ SO IF I GET THE URGE I JUST DRIVE HIS. AS FAR AS BUYING A BIGGER BOAT. I HAVE BEEN IN 26+ FT BOATS AT OVER A HUNDRED. NOT A REAL THRILL RIDE. DOESN'T TAKE MUCH SKILL TO DRIVE. GAS AND TRIM. POINT THE BOAT AND GO.

ZSARGO
09-26-2002, 10:23 AM
ZSARGO:
ZSARGO:
TOBTEK:
signed...boatless but making payments on a hull with no motor till march 03 and then having to come up with another $12k for my 300x then. oach. don't feel bad tobtek. wink BY THE WAY WE SHOULD BE RUNNING 95+ WITH THE 300X. NOT EXACTLY SLOW. YOU'LL STILL BE FASTER THAN 80% OF THE BOATS ON THE WATER. IN A 22 LOW PROFILE BOAT YOU'LL STILL BE HAVING A GOOD TIME. LUCKILY MY FRIENDS BOAT RUNS 106+ SO IF I GET THE URGE I JUST DRIVE HIS. AS FAR AS BUYING A BIGGER BOAT. I HAVE BEEN IN 26+ FT BOATS AT OVER A HUNDRED. NOT A REAL THRILL RIDE. DOESN'T TAKE MUCH SKILL TO DRIVE. GAS AND TRIM. POINT THE BOAT AND GO.

kab
09-26-2002, 10:29 AM
I don't think a Mach 22 with a 300x on it will do much more than 92, if your lucky to hit 92. Unless you went with a lite lay-up single battery, fibergalss swimstep, no stereo, which Dave probably won't even build.

TOBTEK
09-26-2002, 10:41 AM
YOUR RIGHT LES IT WILL BE FAST ENOUGH, Joe at DCB said 90 is the REAL number to be looking for, mid 90's are with 12oz's of gas and Willie Shoemaker the horse jockey at the wheel. But thats still ok! KAB said if I need to put pooie in my panties I can ride in his 115-120mph monster. and new will keep Mis Tobtek happier......hmmmmm red design, white base, new trick pewter hardware...like a montra!! same as Homer Simpson, douuuuughnt :D

ZSARGO
09-26-2002, 11:09 AM
kab:
I don't think a Mach 22 with a 300x on it will do much more than 92, if your lucky to hit 92. Unless you went with a lite lay-up single battery, fibergalss swimstep, no stereo, which Dave probably won't even build.THE 300 PROMAX HIT 92 WITH THE MOTOR MOUNTED ON THE TOP NOTCH. SO WITH 50 MORE PONIES I THINK IT WILL RUN A LITTLE FASTER

TOBTEK
09-26-2002, 11:29 AM
oops double post.....comp tard!
[ September 26, 2002, 12:33 PM: Message edited by: TOBTEK ]

TOBTEK
09-26-2002, 11:32 AM
BTW....LES, when are's are done we will have to sneak up on SCREAMINGPETE in yuma...slow Mach Club! :D