PDA

View Full Version : A Draft...

Jbb
08-30-2007, 02:48 PM
What are your thoughts on a draft...?
This guy sez we need one (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20478293/site/newsweek/)

H2oracer
08-30-2007, 02:55 PM
A draft would straighten out some of these punk gangsters we have to put up with .:sqeyes:

OnlyMoney
08-30-2007, 03:03 PM
Love the millitarty... :D

Boatcop
08-30-2007, 03:12 PM
If the Military hadn't been transformed into a Trade School in the '90s, it would have been prepared to fight on any front.
They lost the warrior spirit and will to fight that served this Nation well during our previous conflicts.
Take away the idiotic rules and regulations that hamstring our fighting men and women in the field. Quit second guessing their every move and prosecuting our soldiers for doing their jobs.
Give them a mission and let them do it. Get the politics out of it.
Draft?
We lost over 47,000 brave Soldiers, Sailors, Airman, Marines and Coast Guardsmen in the 13 years of the Viet Nam Conflict. The majority were draftees. The powers that were felt that throwing recruits at the enemy would prove victorious. They were wrong.
Train and equip our Volunteer Military, and turn them loose on the enemy. But don't just throw bodies at the problem.

Jbb
08-30-2007, 03:18 PM
Be sure to read the link in the first post

Boatcop
08-30-2007, 03:41 PM
Be sure to read the link ion the first post
I did.
I wonder if he had Al Gore and John Kerry in mind when he wrote it. (Or wrote what he was told to.)
We all know the great contributions they made to the Viet Nam war effort.
And I wouldn't believe anything written in that magazine. Look up "Liberal Media Bias" in the Encyclopedia and it reads "See Newsweek."

Jbb
08-30-2007, 03:50 PM
I did.
I wonder if he had Al Gore and John Kerry in mind when he wrote it. (Or wrote what he was told to.)
We all know the great contributions they made to the Viet Nam war effort.
And I wouldn't believe anything written in that magazine. Look up "Liberal Media Bias" in the Encyclopedia and it reads "See Newsweek."
That wasn't aimed at you....It was more of a general reminder for the masses......before they go for the RD SUX default...:D

Boatcop
08-30-2007, 03:56 PM
That wasn't aimed at you....It was more of a general reminder for the masses......before they go for the RD SUX default...:D
RD SUX! :D

Jbb
08-30-2007, 03:56 PM
RD SUX! :D
noted..

HPBoats83
08-30-2007, 04:01 PM
I don't believe in the draft for this war. It's all bullshet economics anyways where we don't have enough money for the proper gear for the soldiers over their (MRAP) but enough for a "Million dollar offshore jet boat promotion" as seen in the other thread. I do respect everybody over their, but just not for me.

jbtrailerjim
08-30-2007, 04:04 PM
Be sure to read the link ion the first post
I read it and the last sentence in the article is what sticks in my mind. I totally agree with him.
"Young Americans: you may not want to kill jihadists, but they are interested in killing you and your loved ones. Wake up."

socalmoney
08-30-2007, 04:05 PM
A draft would straighten out some of these punk gangsters we have to put up with .:sqeyes:
We are already seeing an increase in crime with newly found knowledge provided by the US Military in gangsters. I don't really think today's military can straighten them out. Do we really want them to be experts in explosives, weapon systems etc?
http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/5255692/detail.html?rss=dgo&psp=news

Screemy1
08-30-2007, 04:16 PM
I would support mandatory service over a draft.
But what has to be done has to be done.
YES YES YES, I voted for support.... but mandatory service is way better.... Only two years of service mandatory, still have to have diploma, and a system that exempts certain people.... I have know idea, but a system that does not favor money??? yeah, that would be the hard part... and deferment of service to college bound, they will be officer bound..... gang banger and losers..... hmm, they would be a waste of training.... send them to the fronts and have them do meaningless jobs..... you know the toilets that are being cleaned on the "front", that is currently contracted out for millions.........

LOWRIVER2
08-30-2007, 05:07 PM
Gangs in the military/ old news.
Someone post up the ex military/gangster who murdered the cop in central Ca.
They've utilized all kinds of flanking, counter surveillance techniques from the Corps and Army on our streets.

SmokinLowriderSS
08-30-2007, 05:54 PM
Recently, Coach Jerry Glanville, was on a USO-type Morale trip to Iraq (an NFL trip, with a few big-name players, just like a USO trip of celebs).
While traveling between camps, he had to go to the bathroom.
In full body armor, sweating profusely, he found the following written on the wall of the latrine.
"I'D RATHER SPEND ONE DAY WITH THE LIONS, THAN 1000 DAYS WITH THE SHEEP."
Find me a draftee with THAT kind of sacrificial, protective attitude about doing his/her job.
I've been a volunteer for nearly 20 years.
I gladly go where you need me, including to the lions, to take my chances there, and I have.
I'll take VOLUNTEERS with me, who WANT to do their tasks as well as they are able to.
Not a draftee who wants to SURVIVE untill his time is over, then walk away

asch
08-30-2007, 06:13 PM
Both. Mandatory service (like Israel) then a draft should it be necessary.
The miliitary is S_T_R_E_T_C_H_E_D big time thanks to Clintons drastic downsizing (almost 50% for the Army).
Vietnam was a fiasco as a result of the politicians trying to run the war, not to the mention the propaganda that was being spewed out of the universities and is still being taught.
It's a shame. Many kids nowadays have inherited their parents' negative mindset about serving the country through military service.:(

westair
08-30-2007, 06:37 PM
If the Military hadn't been transformed into a Trade School in the '90s, it would have been prepared to fight on any front.
They lost the warrior spirit and will to fight that served this Nation well during our previous conflicts.
Take away the idiotic rules and regulations that hamstring our fighting men and women in the field. Quit second guessing their every move and prosecuting our soldiers for doing their jobs.
Give them a mission and let them do it. Get the politics out of it.
Draft?
We lost over 47,000 brave Soldiers, Sailors, Airman, Marines and Coast Guardsmen in the 13 years of the Viet Nam Conflict. The majority were draftees. The powers that were felt that throwing recruits at the enemy would prove victorious. They were wrong.
Train and equip our Volunteer Military, and turn them loose on the enemy. But don't just throw bodies at the problem.
Isn't that the strategy we are using now, just send more bodies there. It
didn't work in Vietnam and its not working here. I think the draft would be a total disaster and people would never let it happen, not in a war like this.

GeezerBoater
08-30-2007, 06:43 PM
Draftees won World War II, but they understood that their enlistment would end when the war was over. In Vietnam, the troops were in a 12 month rotation, so you can hardly blame them for wanting to survive the year and go home. I wonder how that war would have gone if everyone shipped over there knew that they would be there until it was over?
Despite Pearl Harbor, even WWII needed draftees, no matter what you saw in the old war movies.
WW2 US Servicemen Profile (1941-1945) Volunteerism
VOLUNTEERS
6,332,000 volunteers
17,955,000 men examined for induction
6,420,000 rejected as unfit
11,535,000 drafted
SERVICE LENGTH
33 months average service
16.2 months served abroad
A draft by lottery would also help the country decide if a war is really necessary.

DeathFlightMedic
08-30-2007, 06:48 PM
Much better than can or bottle, but you have to get i tin a cold glass. it's thae American way!!:)

mobldj
08-30-2007, 06:48 PM
i think it should be automatic like in israel,turn 18,do 2 years.of course canadas population will increase again.

Boatcop
08-30-2007, 06:54 PM
I don't think we'll see any kind of draft. At least not in the traditional sense.
Since the feminist movement fought for and won the "right" to be in combat units, (almost) any job in the Military is open to both genders. If a draft were reinstated, it would require that young women be drafted as well as young men.
I say "almost", since I don't believe they allow females on Submarines. But that may have changed in the last couple of years.
The Nation would be up in arms if we started conscripting our daughters into combat. I'd like to see the Feminazis back pedaling on that issue.
I'm surprised no one has challenged the Constitutionality of the law requiring 18 year old males to register with Selective Service, while not requiring the same for females.

westair
08-30-2007, 06:55 PM
Draftees won World War II, but they understood that their enlistment would end when the war was over. In Vietnam, the troops were in a 12 month rotation, so you can hardly blame them for wanting to survive the year and go home. I wonder how that war would have gone if everyone shipped over there knew that they would be there until it was over?
Despite Pearl Harbor, even WWII needed draftees, no matter what you saw in the old war movies.
WW2 US Servicemen Profile (1941-1945) Volunteerism
VOLUNTEERS
6,332,000 volunteers
17,955,000 men examined for induction
6,420,000 rejected as unfit
11,535,000 drafted
SERVICE LENGTH
33 months average service
16.2 months served abroad
A draft by lottery would also help the country decide if a war is really necessary.
That was a long time ago when we needed the ground troops because thats
how we fought wars then. What about our sophisticated weapon systems
we have now from the air, sea. Send ground troops in for cleanup.

YeLLowBoaT
08-30-2007, 07:00 PM
one thing that has not come up yet, how many of the troups in Iraq are resever/ nat'l guard? How is thier training compared to active miltary?

SHOTKALLIN
08-30-2007, 10:55 PM
I vote for the bomb. you cant win a war against islamic fundamentalist without killing them all. Do the job right the first time.

ElimJimsOtherHalf
08-30-2007, 11:21 PM
I have a 20-year old son in college ..... great kid, with everything in life to look forward to.

Kilrtoy
08-30-2007, 11:27 PM
Both. Mandatory service (like Israel) then a draft should it be necessary.
The miliitary is S_T_R_E_T_C_H_E_D big time thanks to Clintons drastic downsizing (almost 50% for the Army).
Vietnam was a fiasco as a result of the politicians trying to run the war, not to the mention the propaganda that was being spewed out of the universities and is still being taught.
It's a shame. Many kids nowadays have inherited their parents' negative mindset about serving the country through military service.:(
BEST POST YET...
CLINTON KILLED THIS COUNTRY..
YES HE DID

'75 Miller
08-30-2007, 11:47 PM
It REALLY sucks that our military is under such a strain. I feel for them and their families. But a draft would be a fiasco at this point. Too many of our younger generation lack the BALLS it would take to serve.

Kachina 34
08-30-2007, 11:52 PM
Too many of our younger generation lack the BALLS it would take to serve.
:confused: :confused:
What generation do you think is serving right now?:jawdrop:

SmokinLowriderSS
08-31-2007, 02:54 AM
i think it should be automatic like in israel,turn 18,do 2 years.of course canadas population will increase again.
That is OK. Every 20 years some Democrat President will pardon them all. :idea:

SmokinLowriderSS
08-31-2007, 02:55 AM
one thing that has not come up yet, how many of the troups in Iraq are resever/ nat'l guard? How is their training compared to active miltary?
The equip. and training USED to be inferior.
It is not any longer.
My unit has first rate equipment, and we try VERY HARD to maintain proficiencies within the 39 days we get a year to train.

spectratoad
08-31-2007, 04:53 AM
I would support mandatory service over a draft.
But what has to be done has to be done.
DITTO:D

Pete454
08-31-2007, 05:42 AM
I voted no for a draft, but feel 2 year required service for those not attending college would serve them well.
At 19, I needed some direction, and self disciplne! I joined the navy, and left behind a area deep in recession (Michigan). After 22 years, I retired in 2003.
I was a Aircraft Mechanic, I had not only got out of endless go nowhere jobs,
I was able to see the world, Including my current job, I have been to over 45 different countries. Including 2 trips to Iraq!
It is unfortunate that the men and women of the armed forces get caught up in the politics of war. we have the most advanced, best equipped, and trained fighting force in the world.