PDA

View Full Version : 3m 5200 slow cure?

R/C-PILOT
08-30-2007, 06:16 PM
Will 5200 slow cure SEAL in 24 hrs? Directions say, 7 days to cure, I'm interested in sealing in 24hr. Has anybody got any info on it's sealing time?

cyclone
08-30-2007, 06:19 PM
Will 5200 slow cure SEAL in 24 hrs? Directions say, 7 days to cure, I'm interested in sealing in 24hr. Has anybody got any info on it's sealing time?
just buy GE Silicone II outdoor window sealant from Home Depot. it works great and will cure in 24hrs.

R/C-PILOT
08-30-2007, 06:30 PM
I tried that last week, it didn't work. I'm using it on a new ramp loader. So far, everything I've used, has been blown out when the boats been driven. I've got 5200 slow cure, but can't find fast in time for the weekend.

cyclone
08-30-2007, 07:06 PM
You shouldnt need to silicone your loader in place. you've got water coming in from the holes the bolts go through?

Cs19
08-30-2007, 07:27 PM
You shouldnt need to silicone your loader in place. you've got water coming in from the holes the bolts go through?
Michael, your loader bolts were leaking pretty bad at Irvine.LOL :)

cyclone
08-30-2007, 07:32 PM
Michael, your loader bolts were leaking pretty bad at Irvine.LOL :)
really? i couldnt tell from the driver's seat. lol

Cs19
08-30-2007, 07:38 PM
well when i got stuck loading your shitrocket on the trailer cause your crew was scared of the water i noticed it. I think because your intake is not threaded and just through bolted its more prone to leaking.

cyclone
08-30-2007, 07:44 PM
well when i got stuck loading your shitrocket on the trailer cause your crew was scared of the water i noticed it. I think because your intake is not threaded and just through bolted its more prone to leaking.
i used to silicone them all the time and then someone at the race track said i didnt need to so i stopped. lol
almost time to leave for the river!:)

Oldsquirt
08-30-2007, 07:46 PM
R/C Pilot has a JE pump so the loader is actually bolted to the hull. I would suggest a little Sea-Goin Poxy Putty around each hole, between the loader and the hull, and maybe even a little extra on the shank of each bolt. This will do a better job of filling/sealing the bolt holes than any silicone-based product while adding a little strength at the same time.

Cs19
08-30-2007, 07:47 PM
Yea getting closer, Im out at 7am.
the silicone on the loader deal is a hassel. I dont silicone mine cause Im always taking them in and out but if your going to leave it in, its a good idea.
speaking of loaders....

cyclone
08-30-2007, 07:52 PM
Yea getting closer, Im out at 7am.
the silicone on the loader deal is a hassel. I dont silicone mine cause Im always taking them in and out but if your going to leave it in, its a good idea.
speaking of loaders....
bilge pumps........

Squirtin Thunder
08-30-2007, 09:18 PM
3m 4200 fast cure.
Now the more mosture the stuff sees the faster it will cure. So after it is all set and done spray it down with water from a mist bottle.

R/C-PILOT
08-31-2007, 04:41 AM
This will be the 3rd time sealing the loader (holes). 1st time was my mistake, (I was very tired, trying to finish a bunch at 1am before vacation) used caulking that had silicone, that didn't take but 15min to blow that out. Through bolted with washers and lock nuts. Tightened with screwdriver and wrench. The 2nd time, I used clear silicone on the bolts, bolt holes and thin amount between plate hull. Because the 1st time, when it blew the caulking out, the loader was loose, so this time I used the 3/8 impact and a screwdriver bit, with a wrench at the other end. Drew up nice, sealed considerably better, but I couldn't leave the boat in the water overnight. I'm kinda tired of jackin with it. So I did pick up some 3m 5200, but they didn't have fast cure, so I'm hoping that 5200 slow, will at least seal.