PDA

View Full Version : Safety Gear Questions???

vdriveride
08-30-2007, 08:34 PM
I was wondering what the options are for helmets and restraints? Best styles and places to buy? What's everyone like? Thanks...

adjones419
08-31-2007, 06:01 AM
I like full-face helmets, so I have the Lifeline 4-point helmet restraint...2 clips on each side, one in front, and one in back.

SK48
08-31-2007, 08:07 AM
Helmet restraint Lifeline. Jacket etc. Security.

mostly crue
08-31-2007, 08:13 AM
Full face helmet for sure. I really don't like the four point restraint system. It
seems like you are always trying to adjust the straps. Alpinestars has a new restraint system coming out that is like the Hans device. I don't like the Hans
device because you can't really turn your head. The Alpinestars version is made mainly for motorcyclists, but you can sfely turn your head. I'll keep everyone posted after I test the Alpinestar unit.
Jeff

Morg
08-31-2007, 08:58 AM
This summer was my first year wearing a helmet. I bought a new SRP torso suit with the restraints.
I am real happy with the working of the restraints. It is easy enough to put on by myself that I wear it. Being I am running a circle boat vision was a great concern, It is working real well.
I have not tested it & don't plan to.
After Long beach I am concerned with the jacket turning me upright. Especially with the fact that I wear sneakers when I drive my boat.

dossangers
08-31-2007, 11:59 AM
Im sticking with LIFELINE. I know there bulky but having seen as many pics of boat crashes wearing lifeline im confident there the BEST. I have the new ballistic panels front and back built in. After the long beach incident seeing that pic of him face down was not good!!

Bobbo541
08-31-2007, 04:33 PM
what brand of jacket was the guy wearing in longbeach when he drowned.

JOHNNY44
08-31-2007, 05:27 PM
I was wearing a brand new Security Race Products inboard racing jacket.
When I called them about my problem they said I should have jumped in a pool with it on before I used it, but they didn't tell me that when I bought it.
I thought they knew what they were doing since they asked me for all my measurements, and my weight. Consequently my boat hit me in Long Beach and I was knocked out, the jacket did not right me and I drowned. Thanks to the Long Beach Fire Department I was resusitated and am here today. I agree with Wayne, when I return to racing I will have a Lifeline, they are bulkier, but they work. I have heard that other racers with SRP jackets have since tested them in pools and they don't right you everytime, one guy even tested a torso suit. Buyer beware.

JOHNNY44
08-31-2007, 05:37 PM
On a positive note. I did have the sewn in helmet restraints. They do limit your visibility, but if you look at my crash photos I would have broken my neck without it. Gotta have a neck restraint, I'm living proof.http://crash.jpg

flatnutz110
08-31-2007, 05:43 PM
Lifeline has kept me safe in two flips.

SK48
08-31-2007, 06:41 PM
Remember that Bill sold Lifeline about two years ago. They no longer sell the standard race jacket with the flotation in the front. It is now called a comp vest, and is like a poker run jacket with better hardware. I think the old jackets with the big flotation in the front would have a better chance of turning you upright than the new thin jackets. Most people like Wayne don't realize that the jackets that they are wearing are no longer made by Lifeline.:confused:

dossangers
08-31-2007, 07:49 PM
Bills son still works there and the jackets are still made to the old standards? I think im going to call Bill to confirm.:) :)

77charger
08-31-2007, 07:56 PM
lifeline is the only way to go.
I saw bill a couple times at the dragboat races last year with the rig i didnt know he sold the company:confused:
he was always a good guy top deal with at the races IMO.

Bobbo541
09-01-2007, 10:56 AM
Hey John glad to here your ok I guess i better go jump in my pool to see if my SRP chute jacket works correctly. I have had my jacket since 1990 but have never gotten wet. I have my helmut restraints sewn into my jacket also.

River Rat 005
09-01-2007, 11:07 AM
I won't get in a boat without a helmet restraint. I was pitched from an 11 second jet boat without the restraint. When the boat spun, the weight of the helmet about pulled my head off. I felt the burn of the strain in the neck muscle before I left the boat. I couldn't lift my head off the pillow without my hand for 3 days. I cartwheeled 5 times before I stopped. The Lifeline left me face up. I think a restraint without a front hook is about worthless. Without that hook, about all the restraint will do is keep you from losing your helmet when it comes off. My understanding is that if the head goes back to far it will break the neck. Cutting the spinal cord here is where paralyss comes from. So for me, I use a full face with the restraint as tight is I can get it.

VDRIVERACING
09-02-2007, 09:43 AM
Can't see any reason not to have a Lifeline jacket. If they do not make them anymore, buy a used one and have it cleaned and certified. I saw all I need to of the SRP, at LB.
I use a Shoei full face helmet. It's Snell 2000M. It is generally used for motorcyle riding, and has a wider vision hole. It has the same impact resistance features as regular Snell 2000, but the lining does not have the fire resistance as a Bell car helmet. If fires in confined spaces are not a factor, such as in an open circle boat, they are well made, comfy, and high quality.
I agree that helmet restraints limit visibility, but would not race without one pulled down snug. (I would add ballistic shorts to your list of safety gear).

SK48
09-02-2007, 11:59 AM
If anyone has a nice standard race jacket, or a chute "no chute" jacket
in APBA orange in a medium, I am looking to buy one.

hondo Jim
09-02-2007, 12:24 PM
watch ebay there has been 2 in the last 3 weeks

VDRIVERACING
09-02-2007, 03:37 PM
Remember that Bill sold Lifeline about two years ago. They no longer sell the standard race jacket with the flotation in the front. It is now called a comp vest, and is like a poker run jacket with better hardware. I think the old jackets with the big flotation in the front would have a better chance of turning you upright than the new thin jackets. Most people like Wayne don't realize that the jackets that they are wearing are no longer made by Lifeline.:confused:
I went to their website, and you're right. I wonder if they still service the old jackets.

SK48
09-02-2007, 04:24 PM
I went to their website, and you're right. I wonder if they still service the old jackets.
You are correct, the product line has changed. My wife Lisa was the business manager/ office manager for lifeline for over twelve years until Bill retired. It was a great job. I got to go to races all over the country and Bill paid my way. Bill is a great guy, and I enjoyed every race with him.
I am not a fan of the new jacket, but that is just my personal opinoin. I think that the old school standard jacket has a better chance of rolling someone over up right. Bill & I do not agree on this point, and he has 40 plus years experience in the marine safety business, so I am not an expert. Just stating my personal opinion.

SK48
09-02-2007, 04:56 PM
They must have just changed the web site. We have joked for the last two years, as my wife and Bill have still been on the home page. I hope Kenny does well with the business, it is a great company and a good opportunity for him.

ubin
09-02-2007, 04:58 PM
have the chute vests changed and do they still recert the old ones?

SK48
09-02-2007, 05:06 PM
have the chute vests changed and do they still recert the old ones?
I am not an expert, but they re-certify all of the vests, exept the old white/ orange & black canvas vests. Give Kenney a call at 928-669-9241
They do not certify Security jackets.

ubin
09-02-2007, 05:17 PM
thanks

River Rat 005
09-03-2007, 04:14 AM
They recertified my jacket. The thing is, they do repairs on the jacket, send it back with the bill without telling you before hand the repairs were needed. One driver was saying, had he known the repairs were going to cost as much as they did, he may have bought a new jacket. I don't know why companies keep changing their designs when the new and improved isn't better or sometimes not as good as the original. If it aint broke, don't fix it.

VDRIVERACING
09-03-2007, 08:38 AM
They recertified my jacket. The thing is, they do repairs on the jacket, send it back with the bill without telling you before hand the repairs were needed. One driver was saying, had he known the repairs were going to cost as much as they did, he may have bought a new jacket. I don't know why companies keep changing their designs when the new and improved isn't better or sometimes not as good as the original. If it aint broke, don't fix it.
We can appreciate that new materials come along now and then, that are stronger, lighter, cheaper, better. Now, if their website demonstrated how the new jacket had improved characteristics--floatation, rolling face up, impact resistance, durability--it would help their customers understand the benefits. From a marketing standpoint, I would think they would be all over that. You know, get everyone to buy the new-improved version. I wonder if anyone at Lifeline is reading this thread...

dossangers
09-06-2007, 04:34 PM
I called Kent today at Lfeline to assure me about the quality of the Current Jackets. He assured me the qualitys better with new materials and design they have just streamlined there catalog. Bills life was Boat safety for drivers the Family tradition lives on at LIFELINE! I know when i climb in my boat i feel good about my JACKET! Im going to do a Jacket test with the shoes though Gordy brings up a good point.

boat 569
09-07-2007, 04:11 PM
I have a voucher for lifeline for 25% off of racers net if anyone wants it. It can't be used for jacket recert. Just new merchandise.

Dos Coyotes
09-09-2007, 08:03 PM
I could use it.
Jimfins@bellsouth.net
I'll shoot you my address if you email me.
Thanks!