PDA

View Full Version : Hooker Boat Headers question

ricktuttle
02-23-2006, 06:51 PM
I have a set of Hooker Headers OT chrome twisty headers on my boat and the finish is looking really blued. I have been thinking about having them recoated with something that looks good but holds up better than chrome when run dry occaisionally for full throttle blasts. I think we bought these headers from Summit Racings marine dept. about 15 years ago or so but they can't give me any info on recoating them nor can anyone else. Does anyone know of a good place or have any suggestions? I believe they are made out of the same material as Basset header but the flanges are stainless steel on my Hookers.

BrendellaJet
02-23-2006, 06:55 PM
have them jet hot coated. Where do you live?

sleekcrafter
02-23-2006, 06:55 PM
Rewarder headers, does "any brand" header recoating, prices are on the website. :) Rewarder Headers (http://www.rewarderheaders.com)
Sleek

ricktuttle
02-23-2006, 07:13 PM
Thanks for the link sleekcrafter.
I am at home in Grand Prarie, Tx visiting right now before I ship back out to the sandbox, but I am trying to get a few things done to the boat while I am here so that I can hopefully enjoy it when I return in late August.

moneysucker
02-23-2006, 08:48 PM
I would go to rewarder unless you want them to look like you painted them with gray primer then by all means use Jet hot, their coatings are not rated for the heat of running dry.

ricktuttle
02-23-2006, 10:12 PM
Thanks

SHIFTY
02-24-2006, 07:16 AM
http://www2.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1825260&posted=1#post1825260

NUTDRAW
02-24-2006, 01:57 PM
Hello - I have a set of Glenwood through transome wet headers. These are two pieces headers with a water jacket. Does anyone know where i can find the gaskets that fit between the log and the snail shell?

NJBA Donut Club
02-24-2006, 02:29 PM
I would go to rewarder unless you want them to look like you painted them with gray primer then by all means use Jet hot, their coatings are not rated for the heat of running dry.
How stupid are you, Jet Hot has coated more headers in one month than Rewarder will coat in a lifetime. The last time I checked, Jet Hot coated car headers weren't using water injection and they survive just fine with very high EGT's from a variety of applications.

BrendellaJet
02-24-2006, 02:40 PM
How stupid are you, Jet Hot has coated more headers in one month than Rewarder will coat in a lifetime. The last time I checked, Jet Hot coated car headers weren't using water injection and they survive just fine with very high EGT's from a variety of applications.
Bullshiat! :argue: They fade, fast too! :rollside:

NJBA Donut Club
02-24-2006, 02:44 PM
Oh, and you are an authority on the subject. What have you ever owned that Jet Hot coated besides your a-hole ?

LVjetboy
02-24-2006, 04:54 PM
Chet's back? :rolleyes:
I have Jet Hot coated headers. I run water injected above 2500 and below 5700 rpm. Moneysucker and Brendella are right about heat and Jet Hot coating. I can't speak for Rewarder or other coatings...haven't tried them.
Jet Hot survives fine if you inject like above...and don't run dry for long. At CBBB I had a loose wire to the injection controller, thought it was a plugged solenoid. I ran dry upriver to the ramp, taking it easy, maybe 10 minutes or so low speed cruise. That was enough to dull the "near chrome" finish 4-6 inches at elbows with some discoloration at the collector. Also small areas of flaking or coating roughness on the elbows near the exhaust flange...that with a well timed and tuned engine.
Don't get me wrong, they still look good overall and I'd pick coated over chrome any day for a number of reasons. And Jet Hot will re-coat them for free (3yrs). But Jet Hot coating will color locally at hot spots if run dry, just like others have posted.
Not sure why NJBA Donut Hole's a jerk about it.
jer

SmokinLowriderSS
02-24-2006, 05:27 PM
Chet's back? :rolleyes:
Not sure why NJBA Donut Hole's a jerk about it.
jer
If you don't post something professing Timinator's godhood status, this incarnation of Chet is all over it. Welcome back jack***. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: