PDA

View Full Version : Wrecked my boat today - 2 days after new interior

speedymopars
08-31-2007, 11:01 PM
My trailer failed me. The ball lock broke, both chains snapped, and the trailer passed me and dropped of a 15 foot concrete embankment into a ditch doing 20 MPH.
It missed a playground with kids on it by 15 feet, it missed a house by 20. I couldn't have planned the angle it went if I had tried. No one got hurt, and the trailer took the brunt of the damage. No other people or property was involved other than a county chain link fence.
In fact, the only thing wrong with my boat before they pulled it up was a missing railing and a scratch in the bow.
The CHP brought out a big crane and a semi flatbed, and hoisted it up. The boat was sitting crooked on the trailer, and they didn't position the trailer properly. The wheels dropped off the side and the trailer punched two large holes in my hull :mad:
In fact, other than a broken motor mount, the boat survived the accident surprisingly well - but now I need to see if they totalled it.
I'm supposed to leave for a 10 day ski trip tomorrow. Guess not.

BILLET
08-31-2007, 11:20 PM
Man that sucks. You have the same zip code as me where do you live.

speedymopars
09-01-2007, 12:00 AM
Near Foothill High; boat was in the ditch at Esplanade and Fairhaven.

BILLET
09-01-2007, 12:16 AM
Ouch, I know that spot, what time did it happen?
I live right down the street from you, I'm at Newpot and 17th, just down the street from the Re Max office. If you ever need a hand with anything give me a shout, I work nights so I'm home during the day most of the time.

speedymopars
09-01-2007, 12:28 AM
~1pm

502 JET
09-01-2007, 04:58 AM
Sorry about your boat. :( Your very lucky, boats and fences are replaceable.
What type of hitch was it? Pics of the hitch would help.
What exactly broke with the hitch and why?:confused:
Was it worn out or rusted or did it just break for no reason?

speedymopars
09-01-2007, 07:18 AM
I just bought the boat / trailer, and the latch lock mechanism was missing when the boat was hauled up from the crash. Basically the thing that hits the ball was there, but the thing that keeps it from moving wasn't... No pics, and I can't get any at the moment. I will say the tow bill was $2550, and there was one CHP guy who was nice, but kept slowing things down. He directly cost me $1000...

speedymopars
09-01-2007, 07:20 AM
Other pics

El Prosecutor
09-01-2007, 07:28 AM
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=38370&d=1188633584
Posting Pics (http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=154406)

78TaylorSS460
09-01-2007, 10:21 AM
WOW. That sucks. Sorry to hear about that, man

soulboater#1
09-01-2007, 10:38 AM
sorry to hear about your misfortune:mad: . Like it was said-the boat, fence and everything else can be replaced a human life cannot. I had my trailer jump off the hitch before and it is a scary thing. Im lucky it happened in the front of my house.Glad everyone is o.k.

speedymopars
09-01-2007, 07:35 PM
Hull damage

RitcheyRch
09-01-2007, 07:49 PM
Oh man that sucks. Glad to hear no one was injured.

speedymopars
09-01-2007, 07:50 PM
BILLET - Thanks. We'll have to hook up sometime. If you see a tricked out purple 70 duster cruising around - that's me.
502 Jet - I am thinking that the bolt that held the latch together broke off. Given how the safety chains just snapped, and a couple other bolts on the trailer were broken due to corrosion, it is a possiblity. I was going to have the tongue replaced when I got back in two weeks becuase I didn't like it.
I would have had it replaced, but all the shops were booked and I couldn't.

squirt'nmyload
09-01-2007, 08:02 PM
oh my.....glad to hear noone was hurt. time to go check my trailer tounge :D

kcsteck
09-02-2007, 06:57 AM
sorry to hear about your boat. Those holes will be easy fix at least. U will be back on the water soon.
Casey

DUCKY
09-10-2007, 03:53 PM
I'd be less concerned with the cost of the boat and more concerned with what the city will charge you for the hydrant......

jungledave
09-10-2007, 04:03 PM
My trailer failed me. The ball lock broke, both chains snapped, and the trailer passed me and dropped of a 15 foot concrete embankment into a ditch doing 20 MPH.
It missed a playground with kids on it by 15 feet, it missed a house by 20. I couldn't have planned the angle it went if I had tried. No one got hurt, and the trailer took the brunt of the damage. No other people or property was involved other than a county chain link fence.
In fact, the only thing wrong with my boat before they pulled it up was a missing railing and a scratch in the bow.
The CHP brought out a big crane and a semi flatbed, and hoisted it up. The boat was sitting crooked on the trailer, and they didn't position the trailer properly. The wheels dropped off the side and the trailer punched two large holes in my hull :mad:
In fact, other than a broken motor mount, the boat survived the accident surprisingly well - but now I need to see if they totalled it.
I'm supposed to leave for a 10 day ski trip tomorrow. Guess not.Sorry to hear about your loss. I had a bad incident a month ago with a boat and am very very fortunate no one was injured. If you can detour through Colorado you can borrow or buy my olds powered 76 sleekcraft Kauai for your vacation.

speedymopars
09-10-2007, 04:06 PM
Sorry to hear about your loss. If you can detour through Colorado you can borrow or buy my olds 76 sleekcraft Kauai for your vacation.
Thanks for the thought. We went anyway, and had a great time hiking, swimming and river rafting. I even had lobsters nipping at my toes - who would have thought tahoe had those???? Pretty cool vacation even without the boat.

Oldsquirt
09-10-2007, 04:11 PM
I even had lobsters nipping at my toes - who would have thought tahoe had those????
Those weren't lobsters, they were crayfish(aka crawdads or crawfish). They are a relative of the lobster, though.

Sleeper CP
09-10-2007, 04:14 PM
Ah, That just sucks. Sorry to hear that.
Jon

n8dawg
09-10-2007, 04:24 PM
Bummer! Note to everyone: CHECK YOUR TRAILER, HAVE IT SERVICED, MAKE SURE YOU HAVE GOOD TIRES, ETC.... With out the trailer your not going boating!
Good luck

ck7684
09-11-2007, 06:00 AM
Sorry about your bad luck...be sure to double check what the city charges you for damages. My buddy had an accident due to ice in the winter here and he took out a hydrant and the city was charging him sky high rates, as well as for things he didnt even damage, like stop signs etc. Even if insurance is paying, dont get screwed...

speedymopars
09-11-2007, 06:30 AM
Here is what I am learning and want to pass on:
Chains: make sure you have new chains; change them every few years and get GOOD grade, thicker than you think you need. None of this would have happened if the chains hadn't snapped.
Auto insurance: Your auto insurance will cover the trailer you are towing, but not it's cargo. A Boat is considered cargo unless otherwise specified.
Boat insurance: Will cover you if you are driving your boat, but not while it is being towed unless you have it specified.
AAA RV + will only cover the first $200 of the bill. My bill was $2550. Not worth it I would say.

speedymopars
09-13-2007, 09:14 AM
Well the towing company, Anaheim Fullerton Towing Company, has decided that they didn't do any damage and refuse to pay. Keep in miind I am not asking them to pay for the trailer or ANYTHING else than the two holes in the side of my Boat. I have pictures showing they damaged it. They disregarded what I was telling them to do to avoid this.
I now have to sue them. I advise anyone to not use them.
http://www.occourts.org/locforms/l390.pdf

Badburn
09-13-2007, 09:37 AM
As soon as I read the first post in this thread, I was thinking...that tow company should not get a dime! If they cant do their job without causing further damage than they shouldnt be there doing it. :devil: That sux man.

socalmoney
09-13-2007, 10:33 AM
As soon as I read the first post in this thread, I was thinking...that tow company should not get a dime! If they cant do their job without causing further damage than they shouldnt be there doing it. :devil: That sux man.
I would agree but when a tow company is employed by law enforcement they don't seem to care, they just have to get it out. If he called them and arranged the recovery, it would be different. At least that's what I think.