PDA

View Full Version : Apparently

Cheap Thrills
09-01-2007, 03:43 PM
You can put a ZZ502 Big Block Chevy into a Jaguar XJ
And still shut the hood! (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Custom-Jaguar-ZZ502-Big-Block_W0QQitemZ160152346515QQihZ006QQcategoryZ6472 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem) :idea:
T.

YeLLowBoaT
09-01-2007, 03:45 PM
You can put a ZZ502 Big Block Chevy into a Jaguar XJ
And still shut the hood! (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Custom-Jaguar-ZZ502-Big-Block_W0QQitemZ160152346515QQihZ006QQcategoryZ6472 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem) :idea:
T.
but can you make it over a speed bump?
BTW he just destroyed the value of that car.

Cheap Thrills
09-01-2007, 03:52 PM
It may drag just a tad over the speed bumps.
Value ? Hell old XJs aren't worth anything, Now that Ford has Jag they're worth even less The best thing that happened to that car was that Chevy engine:D Although it's not going to handle like a new one sure would be fun to romp around town in.
T.

YeLLowBoaT
09-01-2007, 03:54 PM
It may drag just a tad over the speed bumps.
Value ? Hell old XJs aren't worth anything, Now that Ford has Jag they're worth even less The best thing that happened to that car was that Chevy engine:D Although it's not going to handle like a new one sure would be fun to romp around town in.
T.
actaully if you rip off all the smog crap and the jaguar electronics and go with after market fuel injection those cars are scremers.
Still alot better choices out there then a 502... SBC or SBF would have been just as good.

Tom Brown
09-01-2007, 03:59 PM
No he didn't.
80s Jags are worthless and notoriously unreliable. The GM V8 conversion is extremely popular. The V8 conversion will increase the value of the car.
Please notice I'm not talking about an E-type.
The inline 6 is heavier than a small block GM V8, but not a lot. It's an excellent swap.
The GM big block V8 is about 150lbs lighter than the V12 Jag engine. It's also a popular swap but requires modifying the front suspension to keep the ride height and suspension functioning correctly.
There is a site dedicated to this, and other swaps. The Jag was the first swap these guys took on professionally and so... the site is called "www.jagsthatrun.com".
My personal favorite is the Vanden plas edition Jag. I like the lamb's wool floor mat covers. :D With a GM V8, it would be a practical and reliable car with extreme luxury.
Actually, swapping transmissions is more popular than swapping engines. The Jag automatic is frequently described as, "agricultural". It makes a lot of sense to swap the entire power plant, though.
It's a well engineered swap. There are even plans to modify the Jag driving computer to function properly with the GM engine, showing engine parameters including instantaneous fuel economy.

Cheap Thrills
09-01-2007, 04:07 PM
actaully if you rip off all the smog crap and the jaguar electronics and go with after market fuel injection those cars are scremers.
Still alot better choices out there then a 502... SBC or SBF would have been just as good.
I don't doubt that a bit. They weren't too shabby off the assembly line. I"ve always like the 80 XJ styling but never liked the thoughts of having to keep the engine together, I don't have pockets deep enough. I've seen alot of SBC conversions and like those as well but this is the first I have seen with a big block. And it appears to be nicely done. Overkill ? Perhaps. Fun ? Without a doubt.
T.

Jbb
09-01-2007, 04:08 PM
There are more than a few around here as well..All I have ever seen were GM 350's
The older Land Cruisers got alot of 350 swaps too..

Jbb
09-01-2007, 04:09 PM
No he didn't.
80s Jags are worthless and notoriously unreliable. The GM V8 conversion is extremely popular. The V8 conversion will increase the value of the car.
Please notice I'm not talking about an E-type.
The inline 6 is heavier than a small block GM V8, but not a lot. It's an excellent swap.
The GM big block V8 is about 150lbs lighter than the V12 Jag engine. It's also a popular swap but requires modifying the front suspension to keep the ride height and suspension functioning correctly.
There is a site dedicated to this, and other swaps. The Jag was the first swap these guys took on professionally and so... the site is called "www.jagsthatrun.com".
My personal favorite is the Vanden plas edition Jag. I like the lamb's wool floor mat covers. :D With a GM V8, it would be a practical and reliable car with extreme luxury.
Actually, swapping transmissions is more popular than swapping engines. The Jag automatic is frequently described as, "agricultural". It makes a lot of sense to swap the entire power plant, though.
It's a well engineered swap. There are even plans to modify the Jag driving computer to function properly with the GM engine, showing engine parameters including instantaneous fuel economy.
Brown........all about.........................swapping....:D

Tom Brown
09-01-2007, 04:09 PM
The cars are way too heavy to perform well, even if you throw 600 hp at them.

Cheap Thrills
09-01-2007, 04:18 PM
My personal favorite is the Vanden plas edition Jag. I like the lamb's wool floor mat covers. :D With a GM V8, it would be a practical and reliable car with extreme luxury..
XJ6 Vanden Plas My fav also.
I turned down a good deal on one a few years back, still had the six in it. Clean car but the engine scared me. It didn't have enough power to get out of it's own way and I damn sure didn't wanna have to work on it.
T.

OCMerrill
09-01-2007, 04:48 PM
Did that car really have any value to begin with?:idea:
Waste of a perfectly good big block if you ask me.

ratso
09-01-2007, 06:03 PM
Did that car really have any value to begin with?:idea:
Waste of a perfectly good big block if you ask me.
That would be like putting a 502... in an 87 Bayliner...:idea:

Tom Brown
09-01-2007, 06:05 PM
...I damn sure didn't wanna have to work on it.
... and you sure as hell can't drive it anywhere. How would you like to be driving through Kansas and have a waterpump go out on a Jag engine? That's a common failure. How many shops in Kanas do you suppose stock that pump? Any bets on what they'll charge you? :D
With a Vortec, you're pretty much golden.

Cheap Thrills
09-01-2007, 06:15 PM
... Any bets on what they'll charge you? :D.
I couldn't imagine the expense in keeping one of those things running. Esp when I can change a water pump on a SBC in about 30 min with a set of channel locks and a screwdriver. :D

Cigalert
09-01-2007, 07:27 PM
They also like to catch on fire. Had an 89 XJ-12....pooof....fireball on the freeway.

OCMerrill
09-01-2007, 08:42 PM
They also like to catch on fire. Had an 89 XJ-12....pooof....fireball on the freeway.
Full of Lucas Electrics. Caused numerous electrical fires.
This may be the one single thing Ford has done with the company. Get rid of that crap wiring.
Years ago I bought my wife a Sterling. Basically an Acura powered Rover (yes Rover made cars). All the electronics were Lucas. Get where all the problems were? :)