PDA

View Full Version : Lavey speed

Dewey
05-08-2001, 05:03 AM
Hi guys. I am new to the board, but hope to participate often. I've had 3 outboards, including a 19' Daytona, a Sanger v-drive and a Carrera jet. Hopefully I can share some experience. I recently purchased a 20.8 Lavey Craft Sebring. Anyone familiar with the Sebring? What is the hot setup to get this thing into the 80's. It has a 260hp 2.5 efi, jack plate, and a 24 pitch cleaver which is being replaced with a 26 pitch Mazco RE3. It was spinning the cleaver at 7400 rpm. Any suggestions?
Thanks.

Opie8565
05-08-2001, 05:46 AM
Hey Dewey,
I wouldn't swear by this but from what I have been told by prop company's 2" in pitch will only drop about 400rpm but that is an uncupped prop. so like i said i wouldn't swear by this info.

BillyD
05-09-2001, 04:24 AM
I think the prop switch was a big step in the right direction. That is a relatively big/heavy boat (compared to a Mirage or an STV). I think that "round ear" will perform much better overall (though I suspect that steering torque will increase considerably unless you have hydraulic steering). How much setback do you have and do you have a transom jack? Let us know the "before and after" results with the new prop and we will go from there. By the way, may also want to post of the "Scream and Fly" message board. Much more activity on that board.

Dewey
05-09-2001, 04:58 AM
BillyD,
Thanks for the reply. I was wondering what was up with this board. It seems pretty mellow. What is the address for "scream & fly"? Bass and Walleyes Hi perf forum is alot busier too, but there aren't any Lavey bass boats
I do have hydraulic steering and its also got a land & Sea jack plate. I will measure the total setback today, but its at least 12". My guess is somewhere between 12" and 16" with the jack plate.
The guy in the little brown truck should deliver the prop today, so hopefully I will be able to test it out this weekend.

BillyD
05-09-2001, 08:39 AM
www.screamandfly.com. (http://www.screamandfly.com.) Once there, go to message forums. There were previously a "standard" forum and a "registration" forum. These have been recently "deactivated" and two new forums have been added to replace them. These are both registration forums. One is for outboard boats like yours and mine and the other one is for offshore boats. Select the "new forums" and go in and register (just follow directions). Once registered, you can post. It is night and day between that forum and Hot Boat's (I hardly ever come here anymore). The best guys in the business are on there, including, on occasion, well known people like Sam Baker of Baker Marine, Jay Smith (great engine builder) and "Boat Kitten" (the wife of Brad Collins who used to own Mirage and writes for magazines now). Ron Hill, Al Stoker, John Tiger, Ken Warby (fastest boat in the world; 300+ mph) and other well know guys have also posted there. A lot of ODBA drag racers post there. Like any forum, occasionally you have to shift through the "bull", but you can really learn a lot there. That forum is broken down into General Discussion and Technical sections (as well as few other less important ones). I like to look at both when I am in there. A lot of guys on that board are running well over 100 mph in their Allisons, Mirages, STVs, and twin engine boats (and I think one guy's screen name is Lavey T, or something like that). Let us know how the prop does. Say, Opie may like to try that old Cleaver of yours. Might work pretty well on his smaller/lighter boat (though I suspect that his rpm would still be too high). Sanger V drive, huh; I bet that was an interesting ride!

Steph Adams
05-22-2001, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by Dewey:
Hi guys. I am new to the board, but hope to participate often. I've had 3 outboards, including a 19' Daytona, a Sanger v-drive and a Carrera jet. Hopefully I can share some experience. I recently purchased a 20.8 Lavey Craft Sebring. Anyone familiar with the Sebring? What is the hot setup to get this thing into the 80's. It has a 260hp 2.5 efi, jack plate, and a 24 pitch cleaver which is being replaced with a 26 pitch Mazco RE3. It was spinning the cleaver at 7400 rpm. Any suggestions?
Thanks.
I have a 2000 Lavey Sebring with a 3 liter and this thing won't pull a tube let alone a skier. I have used 21-3 to 23-4 blades with no go. As a matter of fact I have to load everyone into the front of the boat to get it to plane. Merc says the motor is putting out power but is now suggesting a completely differnet prop, which Lavey is waiting for. At this point in time I am very dissipointed in the motor.
[This message has been edited by Steph Adams (edited May 22, 2001).]

Dewey
05-22-2001, 09:02 PM
Steph,
Since I posted I have tried a 22 chopper and a 23 mirage. Both are much better out of the hole than my cleaver was. With 4 people, a cooler full of drinks and food and 2 full tanks, the Mirage was best so far. Not a rocket out of the hole, but acceptable. The mirage sucked for top end though. The chopper digs too hard and bogs the motor. I am going to try playing with the jack plate and see if I can get it to ventilate a little. I am hoping so because it spun at 7200 at 72 mph. I can live with that.
Do you have a jack plate? That helps alot. I am waiting for a Laser II 3 blade, a trophy 4 blade, and a high 5. After I get these I will spend a day at the lake testing. I'll post and let you know what works best.
What prop is Mercury recomending you use now?

anthony
06-17-2001, 08:58 PM
my cousins boat is running 80+ with a 225pro max heads,reeds,tuner,relieved exhaust lots and lots setback and is all he sees is the back of my 20.2lavey with 300pro max .you should be in the 80s already, tell me more about your set up .

Dewey
06-19-2001, 10:19 AM
Anthony,
Mine is a 20.8 Sebring, these are alot heavier than the 20.2. I am running a 2.5 260 EFI with a sportmaster lower unit. It has about 20' total setback including the land & Sea jack plate. With the plate all the way up the prop shaft is about 1" below the pad.
So far the best prop I have found is a 24" Trophy 4 blade. It will turn about 7000 rpm and 75 mph. I have a 24" Mazco RE4, but the holeshot sucks and the top end was not as good as the Trophy. Go figure.
What prop are you using on your 20.2?
Bill

anthony
06-19-2001, 05:25 PM
dewey, I HAVE TRIED A TON OF PROPS SINCE I BOUGHT IT IN OCT. THE ONE IM RUNNING RIGHT NOW IS 28 SPINNELLI,I TRIED MY COUSINS 28 MAZCO AND I DUG A HOLE IN THE LAKE ,BUT TOP END WAS OK.I JUST GOT MY PROP BACK TODAY,STILL WAITING FOR MY COMPUTERSAND MY SHAVED HEADS FROM G-FORCE SEARCHING FOR THAT MAGIC NUMBER 100 ,RIGHT NOW IM AT A HONEST 94.6 GPS.YOUR BOAT SHOULD BE IN THE 80'S ALREADY .DO YOU HAVE A RADAR GUN OR GPS DON'T RELY ON YOUR SPEEDO.GO TO HILL PROPELLERS.COM AND PLUG IN YOUR NUMBERS ON THERE SPEED CALCULATIONS CHART YOU MIGHT BE SURPRISED!

Dewey
06-20-2001, 07:05 AM
Anthony,
I've heard nothing but good things about the Spinelli, but I havn't had the pleasure of trying one yet. I think I may try to find a Tempest or a Mazco HP4. Both are supposed to be good props for heavier sport and bass boats.
I have a Gaffrig speedo and it is dead nuts.(verified with a Garmin GPS) I have used the Hill speed calc. to figure efficiency, and so far the most efficient prop I have tried was a Mercury chopper at 10% slip. All of the others were anywhere from 13%-15%.
How much does your hull weigh? My 20.8 is supposed to be about 1950 lbs. fully rigged, but I havn't run it across the scales yet to verify. I am hoping it is not too much heavier than that.
Bill

anthony
06-20-2001, 04:19 PM
BILL SOUNDS LIKE YOUR ON THE RIGHT PATH ,I MUST HAVE TRIED TEN PROPS BEFORE I WENT BACK TO THE SPIN.HE TOOK MY 30BACK AND MADE ME A NEW 28 WITH A LITTLE CUP TO IT AND JUST CHARGED ME SHIPPING.THE MAZCO IS PROBABLY GOING TO BE YOUR BEST CHOICE.MY HULL BARE WEIGHS IN AT 850LBS.WITH TWO BUCKETS UP FRONT AND ABENCH IN THE REAR,IT'S PRETTY DAM LIGHT! WERE ARE YOU LOCATED ANTHONY (TUNNEL T)DISCOVERY BAY CA.

Dewey
06-20-2001, 08:44 PM
I'm in san Diego. I spend most of my boating time on the local lakes and at the Colorado River. We launch at Fishers or Hidden Shores and head up river from there.
Bill