PDA

View Full Version : Bee's......

Her454
09-02-2007, 05:27 PM
Anyone ( I've already seen Froggy's pics of his ordeal) else have bee's really bad this year? I've had them real bad and can't seem to get rid of them.
I noticed them going under the HotTub cover about a month ago and didnt want to open the lid to check it out as I'm allergic to them. I finally decided to check it out last night. Nothing. Couldn't believe it. Cleaned and filled up the tub again and today I noticed the bee's going UNDER the actual tub itself, and Im sure they are making quite a home in the bottom section! Do I just spray in there to get rid of them? I HATE BEE's!:mad:

Moneypitt
09-02-2007, 05:34 PM
Anyone ( I've already seen Froggy's pics of his ordeal) else have bee's really bad this year? I've had them real bad and can't seem to get rid of them.
I noticed them going under the HotTub cover about a month ago and didnt want to open the lid to check it out as I'm allergic to them. I finally decided to check it out last night. Nothing. Couldn't believe it. Cleaned and filled up the tub again and today I noticed the bee's going UNDER the actual tub itself, and Im sure they are making quite a home in the bottom section! Do I just spray in there to get rid of them? I HATE BEE's!:mad:
Call a local bee keeper. There have been some hives dying off due to some virus. The locals would probably love to capture another queen and the hive that goes with her..........The keepers rent their hives to the agriculture industry for polination in the groves..........Please try to resolve your issue without killing the bees.........MP

Rexone
09-02-2007, 05:36 PM
You could probably fog them at night when they're inactive. You're going to have a big clean up problem though if it's a large hive. You won't be able to just kill them and leave it to evaporate. You will have the smelly pile of shit from hell after they die.
I had one similar to Froggy's last year in a friend's attic. The house got tented not knowing the hive was there during a termite deal. It killed all the bees of course, but was a huge hive. I had to get in the attic and scrape, shovel and remove thousands of dead smelly bees, and a shit load of honey and honeycomb. Probably (3) 5 gallon buckets full of this crap and took several hours. Then seal coat the entire area as you can never get all the honey out. It was a real messy mess.
Then come the ants....

Rexone
09-02-2007, 05:37 PM
Ray's idea would be my choice as well.

smoker
09-02-2007, 05:41 PM
We had bee's going into some of our pilasters to build their hives. Picked up a can of Wasp and Hornet spray. Spray it first thing in the morning or at dusk when they are less active. Worked for us.

Tom Brown
09-02-2007, 05:56 PM
My parents had a wasp nest glued to an outside corner of their truck camper last year.
I handled it quite effectively by prying it off the camper with a couple of flat blade screwdrivers and then scooping it off the ground with a spade shovel. It was both effective and expedient. What's more, I was only stung a couple of dozen times.
I will say, that wasp nest was tougher to pry off the camper than I thought. It didn't exactly bend the screwdriver blades but those bitches are glued on there like snot dried into nose hair. They didn't start swarming right away, either. In fact, they hardly noticed my prying the hell out of their nest at first. By the time the hive was on the ground, however, those little fukkers were buzzing with fury. It was loud as hell. I don't think they cared for the experience.
Another point I'll mention is that hives don't burn as well as you might think. Perhaps it's because the ten gallons of those fukkers that pour out the tiny hole in the bottom of that half gallon hive will fan the flames out. Pour some 87 octane non-lead on and let it soak for a while before applying some flame. You might want to thinking about applying some deep woods off prior to the cremation ceremony.
Even louder than the buzzing wasps was my Mom screaming with hysteria. That blood curdling, high pitch wailing made the countless stings seem almost comfortable.

Jbb
09-02-2007, 05:59 PM
those bitches are glued on there like snot dried into your nose hair.
Tom Brown......describing his recent ..."encounter" with the younger generation...:D

Moneypitt
09-02-2007, 06:10 PM
At least try the beekeeper thing. It works. The keepers have ways of smoking the bees into submission and just putting them in a container to haul away. No mess, no fuss, no charge to you, and the bees will live to polinate another day..................MP

Her454
09-02-2007, 06:23 PM
At least try the beekeeper thing. It works. The keepers have ways of smoking the bees into submission and just putting them in a container to haul away. No mess, no fuss, no charge to you, and the bees will live to polinate another day..................MP
Thanks everyone. I think I'll try the beekeeper deal. I have wasps also. They nest in everything! Left my car for a week in the driveway about a month ago and when I went to open the door they had already started nesting behind the sideview mirror. Crazy. Really pissed them off when I opened the door.
I couldn't imagine having anything like Wes had, that was insane. :eek:

Tom Brown
09-02-2007, 06:25 PM
http://www.motoworldracing.com/media/msr/Hard%20Parts/MSR-SixInOne.jpg

voodoomedman
09-02-2007, 06:39 PM
Try the county Vector. It depends on where you live, but in San Bernardino county, California the county Vector comes and takes care of stuff like that usually free of charge.

Moneypitt
09-02-2007, 06:42 PM
Thanks everyone. I think I'll try the beekeeper deal. I have wasps also. They nest in everything! Left my car for a week in the driveway about a month ago and when I went to open the door they had already started nesting behind the sideview mirror. Crazy. Really pissed them off when I opened the door.
I couldn't imagine having anything like Wes had, that was insane. :eek:
Wasps like to attach their nests to the underside of the roof, under the eves, so to speak. The best way I found to get rid of them was to, 1st, put on safety goggles, 2nd, gloves......Now, put some pool acid in a fruit jar,(an inch or so) or a large glass. Go out at night, slip the jar/glass over the nest pushing it againt the roof/eve......The vapor will kill the wasps instantly and they will drop into the acid, all of them....When no more are coming out of the nest, just scrap the jar/glass sideways and the nest will also fall into the acid. Since you are doing this over your head, be careful with the acid, and always use the goggles/gloves....Works everytime, no mess, no fuss, just dead wasps...............MP

Her454
09-02-2007, 06:47 PM
Wasps like to attach their nests to the underside of the roof, under the eves, so to speak. The best way I found to get rid of them was to, 1st, put on safety goggles, 2nd, gloves......Now, put some pool acid in a fruit jar,(an inch or so) or a large glass. Go out at night, slip the jar/glass over the nest pushing it againt the roof/eve......The vapor will kill the wasps instantly and they will drop into the acid, all of them....When no more are coming out of the nest, just scrap the jar/glass sideways and the nest will also fall into the acid. Since you are doing this over your head, be careful with the acid, and always use the goggles/gloves....Works everytime, no mess, no fuss, just dead wasps...............MP
Yes, they nest under the eaves wherever they can, especially where the roof meets at the top.

YeLLowBoaT
09-02-2007, 06:51 PM
I know from EXP that an airless with a 517 tip kills lots of bees really fast... just makes a mess.( don't ask)

Rexone
09-02-2007, 07:05 PM
So you prefer this over Tom Brown's method? :D
I've always just squirted them at night with the long distance wasp spray and a flashlight, they fall out of the nest on the ground, end of story. Knock the nest off with a shovel or something. Since I'm allergic to them I don't really enjoy the thought of getting up close and personal with a jar of acid. But that's just me. :D

Mrs.Moose on the loose
09-02-2007, 07:18 PM
Question do you hate Bee's or Snakes more?:D
I say spray them and get in your cars and trailer and come stay at our house for a weekend:D .
Miss ya call me tomorrow kido.

Flyinbowtie
09-02-2007, 07:27 PM
Traci;
Those wasps will be trying to nest in all the openings in the toyhauler, too.
The furnace vents, the water heater, the 'fridge stuff.
I cover the smaller openings with masking tape all during the off season to keep the damn things out of there. The local hardware store has stuff called "hotshot" that is waspkiller that will spray about 20 ft. It works great for those top of the eve nests etc.

Tom Brown
09-02-2007, 07:29 PM
When I was around 10 years old, a buddy and I found a nest. It was wasps, hornets, yellowjackets, or something. We didn't know or care.
We made note of the location and went back at night with a couple of cans of Right Guard deodorant spray and Bic lighters.
We sparked the lighters and sprayed the Right Guard across the open flames. The thought was, it ought to shoot a couple of feet. We were told it was effective but hadn't tried it before.
The flame poured out like a flame thrower. It must have gone 12~15 feet. We went from extreme night vision to seeing nothing but red and blue spots. My buddy freaked out and dropped his can of Right Guard, burning my shoulder a bit and singeing my hair.
We got the hell out of there. I don't recall seeing even a single insect They probably enjoyed the warmth the few seconds of being engulfed in flame brought.
The next day, we could see the leaves were a little disfigured but the bush stayed green and never yellowed.
That asshole used to get me into nothing but trouble. Even today, he remains the cause of my behavioral issues. Ironically enough, he's grown up to be a really good and classy man with a rock stable life and loving family.

Flyinbowtie
09-02-2007, 07:48 PM
Tom, I managed to get myself in a world of shit with the damn wasps as a supposedly intelligent adult.
It can be done.
While cutting a road into our property for the house I now live in, I came across a "bees nest" hanging off of the end of an old hunk of riveted culvert pipe, sticking out of some brush. It was about 24 inches tall, maybe a foot across at the widest point.
I called an old beekeeper guy up the road, he came down, looked at it, said "Jeff, those are wasps, I don't screw with them, best of luck, bye"
So, I decided I'd get a metal trash can, fill it half full with about 10 gallons of diesel, put it under the nest, which was hanging about 6 ft. in the air, then knock the nest off, into the can, and quickly put the metal lid on.
Even at 23, I wasn't very bright.:rolleyes:
Everything went fine until I started sawing the nest with a limbsaw, the fockers deployed immediately, and by the time the damn nest dropped into the can they were in a full wing attack formation, and seriously after my ass.
I got the lid on, jumped in the truck, and somehow managed to escape without taking any hits.
I waited about two weeks before opening that trash can. The nest had completely dissolved, only a couple hundred of the little demons floating in the fuel.
I think the little focks I kill around here now are the descendants of that tribe; and in some giant paperlike nest somewhere they tell the story about the big prick with the limbsaw and the diesel, passing on the oral tradition, and programming their offspring to torment me and my family, for eternity.
However, I did have a friend like your growing up. The last time i saw him was about 20 years ago, he was still single, driving a brand new 911 and making about 250k a year.
Figures.

Her454
09-03-2007, 02:46 PM
Well the bee's and wasp's were the least of my worries today. Had a fire start this morning on my road right in front of the house from a garbage truck (Amador Disposal) hauling a dumpster that was f'ng dragging on the ground. We had just got home and heard it go by the house and made a comment about how dangerous it was. About 3 minutes later some kind gentleman pulls into my property and is honking and yelling for us to come around to the front. We couldnt see the fire and had no idea and by that time it had already spread like crazy. Came within 10 feet of the house and if my husband hadn't had the Bobcat here the fire dept said we would have lost it all for sure. I called 911 and reported it but there was another fire (two actually) up the road from us and that was there they stopped first so it was up to us to get it out and it took us awhile with help from neighbors and passerbys. Thank God. Nothing like fighting a fire in shorts and thongs. Scared the hell of us.
I'll get to the bee's later. :eek:

Jbb
09-03-2007, 02:51 PM
Well the bee's and wasp's were the least of my worries today. Had a fire start this morning on my road right in front of the house from a garbage truck (Amador Disposal) hauling a dumpster that was f'ng dragging on the ground. We had just got home and heard it go by the house and made a comment about how dangerous it was. About 3 minutes later some kind gentleman pulls into my property and is honking and yelling for us to come around to the front. We couldnt see the fire and had no idea and by that time it had already spread like crazy. Came within 10 feet of the house and if my husband hadn't had the Bobcat here the fire dept said we would have lost it all for sure. I called 911 and reported it but there was another fire (two actually) up the road from us and that was there they stopped first so it was up to us to get it out and it took us awhile with help from neighbors and passerbys. Thank God. Nothing like fighting a fire in shorts and thongs. Scared the hell of us.
I'll get to the bee's later. :eek:
Wow!....good thing you weren't at the lake....:jawdrop:
But if you were at the lake.....the bee's would no longer have been a problem.....Glad it turned out ok...

Her454
09-03-2007, 02:56 PM
Wow!....good thing you weren't at the lake....:jawdrop:
But if you were at the lake.....the bee's would no longer have been a problem.....Glad it turned out ok...
We were saying the same thing. Usually we are gone on long weekends so we got lucky. Another thing, well has been out for a week, all through this hot spell.... we just got it fixed yesterday. Was a problem with the pump so things are abnormally dry even close to the house, and we were LUCKY it was fixed today.....................
:eek:

Tom Brown
09-03-2007, 02:57 PM
I'm glad you're OK, Traci. :)
... and now it's time for danger sex. :cool:

Jbb
09-03-2007, 02:59 PM
Danger Sex!!!!!

Her454
09-03-2007, 02:59 PM
LOL, true. :) Im so SICK OF FIRE SEASON, we need a break!!!:( :(

Sherpa
09-03-2007, 03:07 PM
I added to the bee thread, but I've got a pretty decent wasp-nest story also.
in my lean-to on my garage I had stuffed an old blanket on a shelf. wasps
had began building onto that blanket a nest. by the time I was actually
scared to go near the area, the hive was bigger than 2 basket balls next
to each other............ so waiting until evening, I sprayed the hell outta the
nest with wasp spray.. eptied 2 cans in less than a minute....... I waited
until morning to knock to hive off the shelf...... that blanket came down with it, along with about 500 more wasps that were inside the hive.. oh shit isn't
even close to my thoughts........
I had already prepped a metal trash can with about a 1/2 gallon of old 2stroke
gas, and carried the hive out to the can with a pitchfork.... into the trash can
it all went, and then in went a match........ whoooosh.......... nothing like a
12 foot high flaming wasp barbeque at 6am in the summer to wake the neighbors........
I never did get caught playing with matches as a kid... maybe I should have.
--Sherpa...............cleverly distisguised as a responsible adult.....

Flyinbowtie
09-03-2007, 03:18 PM
This fire season is spooky.
Driving around Tahoe Saturday we must have seen at least 25 electronic and other signs warning of extreme fire danger.
I have an irrigation water source, and have no less than three rainbirds going pretty much 24/7 from mid-July until they shut the water off October 10th.
Rainbirds on the roof, ready.
F-in scary time of year here in the foothills.
Glad your okay, T.

Her454
09-05-2007, 07:14 AM
This fire season is spooky.
Driving around Tahoe Saturday we must have seen at least 25 electronic and other signs warning of extreme fire danger.
I have an irrigation water source, and have no less than three rainbirds going pretty much 24/7 from mid-July until they shut the water off October 10th.
Rainbirds on the roof, ready.
F-in scary time of year here in the foothills.
Glad your okay, T.
Thanks Jeff, I wish we had the irrigation deal here but I rely on the well. Its real hazy/smoky this morning up the hill but I havent heard anything on the news about another fire. Been a crazy year thats for sure.
Yellowboat, not sure if you got my PM back as they dont seem to be working, but if it was your neighbor that was captain of the crew on my fire please get the names for me as I all I got was the engine # and I wanted to send a thank you!