PDA

View Full Version : Turbo vs. Blower

SPECTRABRENT
02-23-2006, 09:30 PM
I currently have a 468 Chevy with a Gentry 510 twin turbo setup, when this motor is done I am going to go to a bigger setup. I also have a TBS 10/71, so I could go either way, blower or turbo.
I already have a decent foundation CNC Bowtie Block & Brodix heads.
The current 468 has a billett BRC crank, so I could use it if I had to.
Which way would you go Turbo or Blower?
What size motor would you build 509, 540 or 565?
THanks,
Brent

InKahntrol
02-23-2006, 11:12 PM
Hey Brent,
I had the same choice with my Campbell. We've got a fresh 8-71 sitting in the garage, and I had two different turbo setups (one PFM, one Banks). I went with the turbo, because of the noise factor. Since I primarily use the Marina, and they're really coming down hard on loud boats, I figured I could quiet the boat down and gain horsepower with the turbos. If I ran the blower, I'd have to buy expensive headers or Imco manifolds, then buy expensive mufflers, and the boat would still be very loud (and mufflers suck).
Just my humble opinion.
-Dan
PS
My dad's "new and improved" Spectra 32' is going for its maiden voyage this weekend. New motors, new interior, freshly redone exterior. Should be cool.

Highlimit9000
02-24-2006, 07:38 AM
I currently have a 468 Chevy with a Gentry 510 twin turbo setup, when this motor is done I am going to go to a bigger setup. I also have a TBS 10/71, so I could go either way, blower or turbo.
I already have a decent foundation CNC Bowtie Block & Brodix heads.
The current 468 has a billett BRC crank, so I could use it if I had to.
Which way would you go Turbo or Blower?
What size motor would you build 509, 540 or 565?
THanks,
Brent
I am having the same issue's Brent. I just picked up A Merlin block, LA crank and Brodix heads with some other goodies from Luvnlife on the boards. Still not convinced one way or the other whether to go 14 or 12:71 vs Turbo set-up. When I started pricing turbo stuff, it seemed about 5 to 6K more than a Blown Set-up. If $$$ or wife not an option I would say Turbo, but my $$$ and wife are! lol! She cant believe how much money I am puting into a boat built in 1974. I tell her honey! but it's a Schiada! She doesnt understand. Good Luck cant wait to see it either way...John :boxed:

RUSHIN ROULETTE
02-24-2006, 08:48 AM
Turbos are always going to be more money. But I think it's worth it!!

MKEELINE
02-24-2006, 09:45 AM
If you already have a Gentry setup, I'd go with that. You could increase the c.i.'s or bump up the boost. If you already have good parts I'd use that stuff. Talk to someone who knows turbo motors, like Barry(obnoxious001), about what the best combo would be.
The noise issues are only going to get tougher and turbos are definetly quieter. PLUS, turbos are cool.

InKahntrol
02-24-2006, 11:04 AM
Rushin- I love your boat... it's awesome.
As for high comression vs. blower, for me that's an easy choice. I built a 12.5:1 BBC for my last boat, and as awesome as that engine was, it was a real bear. It ate starters, until I finally stepped up to a high-dollar GM high torque unit. Also, that engine was super loud, cold-blooded, and loved high-dollar fuel.
I engineered my new turbo motor for maximum usability. Stroked to 496 cubes, long con rods, 8.5:1 compression, and a pretty mild Engle TCS-7 turbo cam. Paired with ported rectangle port alum heads and a ported RPM-airgap intake, it's a torque monster. With 7 pounds of boost it made 900 lb/ft, and over 800hp. The best part is, when I keep my foot out of it, it's just a low-compression grunt motor. Easy on parts.

MKEELINE
02-24-2006, 11:23 AM
Dan,
Sounds like the motor came out great. Any pics?

SPECTRABRENT
02-24-2006, 11:26 AM
Rushin- I love your boat... it's awesome.
As for high comression vs. blower, for me that's an easy choice. I built a 12.5:1 BBC for my last boat, and as awesome as that engine was, it was a real bear. It ate starters, until I finally stepped up to a high-dollar GM high torque unit. Also, that engine was super loud, cold-blooded, and loved high-dollar fuel.
I engineered my new turbo motor for maximum usability. Stroked to 496 cubes, long con rods, 8.5:1 compression, and a pretty mild Engle TCS-7 turbo cam. Paired with ported rectangle port alum heads and a ported RPM-airgap intake, it's a torque monster. With 7 pounds of boost it made 900 lb/ft, and over 800hp. The best part is, when I keep my foot out of it, it's just a low-compression grunt motor. Easy on parts.
InKahntrol,
The guy I bought my Spectra from built the current Gentry 468 setup back in the early 1990's and it made 980 HP with 18 lbs of boost, the boat went 96 mph. It was built & used as a ski race boat.
I have never ran the boost past 11 lbs.
I want to build a motor like yours, so I can keep the motor together.
How is the Campbell comming along?
Brent

hottrodder
02-24-2006, 12:04 PM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/93LtPrfl2.jpg

SPECTRABRENT
02-24-2006, 12:31 PM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/93LtPrfl2.jpg
THats a great looking boat!
Where did you get that picture?
Brent

hottrodder
02-24-2006, 12:49 PM
The boat you described sounded an awful lot like this one and I didn't want any kitty's to die. That's me riding and Ed driving.

obnoxious001
02-24-2006, 01:33 PM
InKahntrol,
The guy I bought my Spectra from built the current Gentry 468 setup back in the early 1990's and it made 980 HP with 18 lbs of boost, the boat went 96 mph. It was built & used as a ski race boat.
I have never ran the boost past 11 lbs.
I want to build a motor like yours, so I can keep the motor together.
How is the Campbell comming along?
Brent
Brent,, all you probably need to do is put lighter springs in the wastegates. Then if you ever wanted to put some good gas in and go faster, you could simply swap the springs.

SPECTRABRENT
02-24-2006, 02:30 PM
The boat you described sounded an awful lot like this one and I didn't want any kitty's to die. That's me riding and Ed driving.
How is Ed?
After I get my Spectra 24 done, Moonshine will get a total restore. New gel, 500+ inch turbo or blower motor & new v-drive. I picked up a triple axel trailer that Ellis redid, so the boat is next.
If you have anymore pics., please post them.
Thanks,
Brent

SPECTRABRENT
02-24-2006, 02:34 PM
HOttrodder,
Is Andy skiing behind the boat?
Brent

boatslayer
02-24-2006, 03:25 PM
turbos are were the power is at , but blowers look way sick and get the job done

RUSHIN ROULETTE
02-24-2006, 04:18 PM
My motor is 532ci (used to be a 509ci) with all the right parts and only 13lbs. of boost. It makes great power. I run 110 octane just to be safe. Static compression is between 8 and 8.5-1 ..The 509 on the dyna made over 1100 hp and torque was over 1200 ft lbs. It pulls my 50% gears with a 3 -blade prop with ease. :p

SGettmann
02-24-2006, 04:52 PM
Rushin Roullette - are you running a 3 blade on your 20' Cole? I'm running a 2 blade on my 21' Schiada. Some cavitation and slippage coming out of the hole with a skier on the back, but gets the job done when underway. With a 3 blade, I bet your hook up is similar to a tournament boat :rollside:

78DiMarco
02-25-2006, 12:00 AM
Go for the turbo, for all the reasons that everyone has mentioned. Especially the noise and cool factor!
John, did I read that you got a Schiada?
Bert

Highlimit9000
02-25-2006, 07:27 AM
Go for the turbo, for all the reasons that everyone has mentioned. Especially the noise and cool factor!
John, did I read that you got a Schiada?
Bert
Bert, Yes I did. I have had it for awhile now...Even when I had the Continental. I am doing a complete restore. I have posted pics of the process in other threads. I sold my Continental last year to Rick on the boards (63stevens) The Schiada just got colorsanded and buffed and is in Havasu... I am getting some touch up work on the inside and transom. It is going back to Prime In March to put all they fabricated parts back together. maybe get done this year...Here's a pic at Prime...How have you been? John
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/524/199SchiadaPrime.JPG

78DiMarco
02-25-2006, 07:38 AM
I'm doing OK. I've been working real hard for the past two years as I left a job of 20-years and went to work for myself. Now I have to deal with all the joys of owning a business.
I'll send you a PM so I clog this thread with other stuff.
The Schiada looks pretty nice. I'm in the process of building a new motor for my boat. Twin Turbo 509 ci. I did the v-drive last year and next year I think I'll get the hull redone now that I have the mechanical stuff pretty much done. It never stops does it.
Regards,
B

full throttle
02-26-2006, 08:59 AM
Hey Brent, Go W/Turbos on the old ski-racers. I too went back and forth. Had a hard time deciding. Started with a 14/71 w/intercooler for my Schiada project, then switched to a last generation PFM set-up that uses a Victor ram intake. Looking forward to running it someday. I'd like to have a 24XS too.

FrznJim
02-26-2006, 09:48 AM
Brent,
If you go with your current turbo system on a larger bore block, just be careful and use a reputable engine builder. The reputable ??? builder who put my 500 inch BBC EFI RaceAero/Gentry turbo motor together obviously didn't know what he was doing. See my previous post, when on the dyno, we made 26 lbs boost and climbing at 5800 rpm, had to put softer spings in the waste gate actuator, then trade out the impellers with looser ones to get the boost down, only made 768 hp. I know of several 500 inch turbo motors that are making 1100 hp.
BTW, I still have your Banks twin turbo (via Hackjob) system down in Parker if anyone is interested in a relatively inexpensive deal.

RUSHIN ROULETTE
02-26-2006, 01:38 PM
Rushin Roullette - are you running a 3 blade on your 20' Cole? I'm running a 2 blade on my 21' Schiada. Some cavitation and slippage coming out of the hole with a skier on the back, but gets the job done when underway. With a 3 blade, I bet your hook up is similar to a tournament boat
The 3-blade works well for hooking up. I used to run a 2-blade on my Hallet Vector and it worked out real well too. I have yet to find the right 2-blade for my Cole.

InKahntrol
02-28-2006, 04:33 PM
Here is a gnarly lo-res pic my dad snapped of the motor on dyno day with his cell phone camera. The Campbell is REALLY close now. Everything is done except some finishing touches with the wiring. I figure about one more weekend worth of work and we can float her for the first time.
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b307/inkahntrol/get-attachment.jpg
I'll have some better pics when we take her out for the maiden voyage...

SPECTRABRENT
02-28-2006, 08:04 PM
My motor is 532ci (used to be a 509ci) with all the right parts and only 13lbs. of boost. It makes great power. I run 110 octane just to be safe. Static compression is between 8 and 8.5-1 ..The 509 on the dyna made over 1100 hp and torque was over 1200 ft lbs. It pulls my 50% gears with a 3 -blade prop with ease. :p
RUSHIN ROULETTE,
What parts are you running in your motor, block, crank & rods?
BTW, your Cole of off the hook, I saw it at the Sand Bar in the late 1990's.
Thanks,
Brent

RUSHIN ROULETTE
03-01-2006, 01:27 PM
Carillo rods, Kryptonite crank..JE Pistons. GM block ..I would have to find the last build sheet if you need more info. Gary Kincaid just did the rebuild for me last year. Thanks :)

SCRINC
03-01-2006, 01:45 PM
Carillo rods, Kryptonite crank..JE Pistons. GM block ..I would have to find the last build sheet if you need more info. Gary Kincaid just did the rebuild for me last year. Thanks :)
Sounds like alot of nice parts that never get used!!
Going out to Parker this weekend if your game???

RUSHIN ROULETTE
03-02-2006, 08:48 AM
Sounds like alot of nice parts that never get used!!
Tell me about it! I can't wait to go back! Been too busy lately with house remodeling. How is the weather right now in Parker?

SPECTRABRENT
03-06-2006, 01:30 PM
I am looking for a manifold for my turbo system (510 Gentry setup), I think the current manifold that is a stock Chevy LS6 type.
Which will work best with the Brodix heads?
Brent

MKEELINE
03-06-2006, 03:36 PM
I used an Edelbrock Performer RPM manifold w/ my Gentry 510 intercooler. Canfield heads.

RUSHIN ROULETTE
03-06-2006, 04:28 PM
I like a "Tunnel ram" style. Those are Brodix Heads too.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/524/1799BMTR.jpg

MikeF
03-06-2006, 04:29 PM
I used an Edelbrock Performer RPM manifold w/ my Gentry 510 intercooler. Canfield heads.
Is the carb inside there? Got any pictures of it apart?

fc-pilot
03-06-2006, 09:42 PM
The carbs sit right in front of the turbos. You can see the flame arrestors if you look close. The big box on top is the intercooler on top of the tunnel ram. (Hope you don't mind me jumping in and answering these questions, the setup is similar to ours).
Paul

MikeF
03-07-2006, 06:15 AM
My question was to this picture. :220v:
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=11731
I'm now thinking......no carb in there. Not enough room. :boxed:

MKEELINE
03-07-2006, 08:03 AM
The carb sat behind the intercooler, between the turbos. It was an old PFM/Banks setup.

fc-pilot
03-07-2006, 09:39 AM
Sorry about that Mike, maybe I better pay attention next time :messedup:
Paul

SPECTRABRENT
03-07-2006, 10:49 AM
THat is my setup, but I have 2 carbs. Has anyone looked into a Dart or Brodix manifold?
Brent