PDA

View Full Version : Outdrive Oil Questions, HELP! Pics attached.

mbroome
09-03-2007, 07:03 AM
Started changing the oil in my outdrive this morning. Upper unit was milky. I am going to get a new upper dipstick washer, I think water is seeping in there. Heres the kicker that's making me scratch my head. The lower unit oil was GREEN. WTF is this folks? anyone have an idea or suggestions? I had NO metal flakes. This is an 800 stringer....

SnakeWrench
09-03-2007, 07:06 AM
Drain it, flush it and refill it. Merc Hi Performance gear oil is green. Best stuff to use. Make sure the drain plug and dipstick seals are new and enjoy. There is also a vent plug on the side of the drive. Check that one too.

mbroome
09-03-2007, 07:08 AM
Thank you! Is it ok to flush the drive with 30 weight motor oil and let it drain overnight and then refill?

OCMerrill
09-03-2007, 09:09 AM
Water in the drive is a sign of a bad seal.
On edit...that looks to be an older Sea Drive and that is just the lower unit's oil?

Tequila-John
09-03-2007, 09:56 AM
Water in the drive is a sign of a bad seal.
On edit...that looks to be an older Sea Drive and that is just the lower unit's oil?
Good call!

mbroome
09-03-2007, 10:23 AM
I have a VERY worn washer seal on the upper dipstick. I'm replacing it tommorow, gonna finish flushing and then refill. The milky oil is from the upper unit, greenish stuff is from my lower. I'm VERY concerned about the milky oil in the upper so i'm gonna be watching it like a hawk. Its an 800 stringer drive on a 79 Wellcraft. 305 v8 motor.