PDA

View Full Version : Pistion wall clearance..check 1

86 catalina
02-23-2006, 11:14 PM
Double Check Pistion To Wall Clearance
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have got a bunch of diffrent answers on this question>>>What is the exact clearance that i am looking for? The motor is a bbc 496 60 over(4.310) >>>Cold water applications high performance

obnoxious001
02-24-2006, 12:09 AM
You need the piston maker's spec, and then depending on who you talk to, and what type of piston (cast or forged), you may want to add .001" to .002" for the "marine" useage.

Moneypitt
02-24-2006, 08:52 AM
You need the piston maker's spec, and then depending on who you talk to, and what type of piston (cast or forged), you may want to add .001" to .002" for the "marine" useage.
Kevin, the spec sheet that came with the pistons will have all the info you need. If I am not suffering from old timers desease, I think the SRP asked for .003-.004 street, and .006-.007 cold water use. I may be totally off here, so LOOK AT THE PISTON SHEET. After you read it, post the info here. The critical part here is measuring the cylinders. Do you have a bore gauge? How do you propose to measure them? If the "shop" is going to do it, ask to see calibration info. (I am really curious about these numbers, so please keep us tuned in as to what you discover from the piston sheet) If you can wait until next week when I come through there headed home, I have Mics and a bore gauge with me. Finishing the motor today, and the boat this weekend, test fire Monday, (I hope), and then I'm headed home. If any of that helps you, call me 805 300 0012.....Ray

cstraub
02-24-2006, 09:04 AM
I was always taught if to open the clearance up on the front 2 cylinders because the cold water is directly hitting these cylinders constantly. Any of the engine builders on here also do this?

Infomaniac
02-24-2006, 09:48 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have got a bunch of diffrent answers on this question>>>What is the exact clearance that i am looking for? The motor is a bbc 496 60 over(4.310) >>>Cold water applications high performance
Ok then set them to .007"

jamessampica
02-24-2006, 02:42 PM
Is this going to be a blower motor?If so then these number's will be alittle different.
JIM S

86 catalina
02-27-2006, 09:53 PM
I just figured out the clearance on 4032 high solicon alloy pistons in a boat with cold water pick up is 4.5 to 5 thousands no more no less...7 thousands is too much unless your are running boost,blower etc

Moneypitt
02-27-2006, 11:16 PM
Now you know what you need, straight from the horses mouth, so to speak. Now, what have you got?......
.PS: Kevin, in case you're wondering, my Lakewood stop will we most likely be after Ming this weekend, just can't seem to get all the bases covered and get out of here. (I'm still in BHC) I'll call you Wednesday or Thursday, Ray