PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Ridden In A Friends Boat And Been In Fear For Your Life ???

Pussywhippled
09-03-2007, 05:15 PM
Saturday afternoon we met up with one of my buddies at our place (The Palms) in Needles. I've been in his boat before (28 Magic Deck w/525) and knew how he drives, but he said he would take it easy since we had 3 kids and my wife with us. Two of my other buddies and my wifes cousin went on the trip as well, so there was 9 of us total.
We start out floating down river just drifting and then he (boat owner) says let go this is boring. He takes off like a bat outta hell, and I
swear we must have threaded the eye of a needle atleast 6 times before we pulled into Park Moabi (and it's not that far) and doing around 60 all the time as I'm telling him to slow down and he's in and out of traffic.
I was surprised that the boats we passed and cut off didn't try to come after us and want to fight (it was that bad). When we stopped to get fuel at Park Moabi he went inside to pay and my wife and one of my buddies were pleading with me to drive back, they were that scared. Not to say that I wasn't scared, but I was more disturbed than anything with reading all of the accidents and events that have happed lately.
He kept telling me "Please... I've been in your boat and you drove way faster so come on and calm down". I said yeah we were doing about 90 in my boat but there were just 3 of us guys, no holiday traffic, no other boats around, and I went straight not your back and forth action.
So I did end up driving home back up river to everybody's delight. I was even pushing his boat trimming it (something that he doesn't do properly anyways) and driving it wide open. Everybody felt at ease even with me going faster than him because they know I have a little more seat time than him.
When we got closer to the dock and ramp he took back over the wheel so I could go back down the trailer, when he started racing a ski and then turned the boat sharp and fast to spray him. All he could say was "weird feeling in a cat huh, you can't do that in a V-bottom" as my 10 year old daughter was balling her head off because she was so scared.
Yes driving that boat is different from a V, for the fact that when you pull back on the levers it took much more time to slow down.
Needless to say my wife and the others probably won't be going in his boat again and if I do I'll make sure to be sober so I can, 1. hold on and 2. drive.

Kilrtoy
09-03-2007, 05:20 PM
Hey come on now
I KEPT IT AT 60MPH, DIDN'T I

Jyruiz
09-03-2007, 05:27 PM
Yes, we are no longer friends though, but not because of his reckless driving.

Pussywhippled
09-03-2007, 05:33 PM
Yes, we are no longer friends though, but not because of his reckless driving.
Yeah I'm still his friend but we will have a talk (civil) before I go out on his boat again.
It just sucks that others have to put up with his poor driving all the time, not just once in while like me.

skyskier
09-03-2007, 05:37 PM
Saturday afternoon we met up with one of my buddies at our place (The Palms) in Needles. I've been in his boat before (28 Magic Deck w/525) and knew how he drives, but he said he would take it easy since we had 3 kids and my wife with us. Two of my other buddies and my wifes cousin went on the trip as well, so there was 9 of us total.
We start out floating down river just drifting and then he (boat owner) says let go this is boring. He takes off like a bat outta hell, and I
swear we must have threaded the eye of a needle atleast 6 times before we pulled into Park Moabi (and it's not that far) and doing around 60 all the time as I'm telling him to slow down and he's in and out of traffic.
I was surprised that the boats we passed and cut off didn't try to come after us and want to fight (it was that bad). When we stopped to get fuel at Park Moabi he went inside to pay and my wife and one of my buddies were pleading with me to drive back, they were that scared. Not to say that I wasn't scared, but I was more disturbed than anything with reading all of the accidents and events that have happed lately.
He kept telling me "Please... I've been in your boat and you drove way faster so come on and calm down". I said yeah we were doing about 90 in my boat but there were just 3 of us guys, no holiday traffic, no other boats around, and I went straight not your back and forth action.
So I did end up driving home back up river to everybody's delight. I was even pushing his boat trimming it (something that he doesn't do properly anyways) and driving it wide open. Everybody felt at ease even with me going faster than him because they know I have a little more seat time than him.
When we got closer to the dock and ramp he took back over the wheel so I could go back down the trailer, when he started racing a ski and then turned the boat sharp and fast to spray him. All he could say was "weird feeling in a cat huh, you can't do that in a V-bottom" as my 10 year old daughter was balling her head off because she was so scared.
Yes driving that boat is different from a V, for the fact that when you pull back on the levers it took much more time to slow down.
Needless to say my wife and the others probably won't be going in his boat again and if I do I'll make sure to be sober so I can, 1. hold on and 2. drive.
A real "friend" would have bitch slapped the hell out of him, deposited his dumbass on the shoreline and let him walk/swim back to the house!! At least that's what I'd have done in the same situation. Your 10 year old daughter in tears of fear??? HELLO............What were YOU thinkin??? On 2nd thought, I'd have tied a ski line around his ankles and dragged him back an then told him,..."you can even do that behind a V-bottom"

HocusPocus
09-03-2007, 05:44 PM
i have never had that problem in a boat.. but in a car thats a different story. my brother-in-law is a great guy and would do anything in the world for you if you need it but he can't drive for sh*t.

junkyardhunter
09-03-2007, 05:51 PM
If it was that bad Why in the world would you drive faster than he was driving with that many people on board.Thats just plain stupid

Pussywhippled
09-03-2007, 06:22 PM
[/Everybody felt at ease even with me going faster than him because they know I have a little more seat time than him.
B]
If it was that bad Why in the world would you drive faster than he was driving with that many people on board.[B]Thats just plain stupid
The speed wasn't the issue with him, ok it was one issue, but when he was behind the wheel earlier in the day there was alot more action (more boats & skis) on the water.
But at around 50mph he likes to turn the boat back and forth, hard right, hard left, and thinks it's the greatest thing, and say "Look how my boat handles".
And another was running up on people from behind and then splitting traffic like he was on a motorcycle.
I would have to point out when a boat was on the side of us passing us to get away from him, he didn't pay attenton to anything but what was right in front of him.
When I drive my boat or any boat, I am constantly looking to both sides and behind us as well. You cant just have tunnel vision trucking along, and expect others to make the right decisions to slow it down or turn.
We were in the middle of the river heading back (because the water was shallow) and there was a 30 Daytona with his twins trimmed up, coming up on us fast, real fast. Now if I wasn't paying attention to my surroundings (like my buddy) even behind us, I could have turned to avoid someone or something and went right into the path of the Daytona.
It doesn't take a genius to know you should pay attention whether your on the boat by yourself or with 15 people.
By the way a little FYI...
In my teenager days I worked as deck hand on six-packs, private yachts, and the large sportfishing boats out of Newport. I was also the youngest person to graduate from a Maritime academy in Newport, but couldn't get my Captains license because I didn't have enough hours logged, but could have if I put in the extra time.
So you are correct in that I am just plain stupid.

Riomouse911
09-03-2007, 06:22 PM
Too bad your buddy drives like an ass, not a lot of room to dodge holiday traffic on the river. At least no one got hurt.
I'd tell him to pound sand the next time he asks me to go on a ride.

Pussywhippled
09-03-2007, 06:24 PM
Minor rant on!
I know exactly what you are saying. Not that my buddy (who will remain nameless here) didn't have experience and all of that. It was that his boat had too much HP for the hull. I fully expected for it to come apart while underway at some point. Yes, different MFR's make their boats more durable than others. I don't care WTF anybody says...in the old days MFR's were aware and warned you of how much HP a particular hull could take. Nowadays it seems that few MFR's give a F and will put in whatever engine you want regardless of safety issues. Not good/cool in my book.
Rant off :)
It's called throw down some coin, sign your name and here's the keys.
Instant baller...

Kilrtoy
09-03-2007, 06:26 PM
A real "friend" would have bitch slapped the hell out of him, deposited his dumbass on the shoreline and let him walk/swim back to the house!! At least that's what I'd have done in the same situation. Your 10 year old daughter in tears of fear??? HELLO............What were YOU thinkin??? On 2nd thought, I'd have tied a ski line around his ankles and dragged him back an then told him,..."you can even do that behind a V-bottom"
Aren't you just the billy bad ass.

Jbb
09-03-2007, 06:26 PM
Riding in Brown's boat is always a thrill a minute.....That guy's crazy...!
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=38541&stc=1&d=1188872790

Pussywhippled
09-03-2007, 06:33 PM
Aren't you just the billy bad ass.
Skyskier: How does this sound?
Yeah honey don't cry daddy will take care of it. It will be ok...
Now watch this honey...
First I'm going to bitch slap the hell out of him, and duke it out right here on the boat.
Then we're going to tie a ski line around his ankles and drag him back.
Having her witness that kinda thing wouldn't make her cry would it?

Kilrtoy
09-03-2007, 06:38 PM
Now watch this honey...
First I'm going to bitch slap the hell out of him, and duke it out right here on the boat.
That made me laugh at our resident bad ass.
Maybe he is beaverretriever's dad.

bignet
09-03-2007, 06:42 PM
I once stood next too Joey's pontoon and lived to tell about it. :D
You guys get that deathtrap out of the water??? Good times doggy.:D
bignet

Kyote
09-03-2007, 06:54 PM
That made me laugh at our resident bad ass.
Maybe he is beaverretriever's dad.
Easy Miguel or you may not get to drive the wife's boat!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYyxcn7oerQ

Bense468
09-03-2007, 07:16 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYyxcn7oerQ
lol at song

Tom Brown
09-03-2007, 07:51 PM
Riding in Brown's boat is always a thrill a minute.....That guy's crazy...!
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=38541&stc=1&d=1188872790
There's no doubt, I've scared a few people.
Hey Hoolign... have you ever gone for a spin with Kimmy? Tell us about it, bud. :D

hoolign
09-03-2007, 08:08 PM
There's no doubt, I've scared a few people.
Hey Hoolign... have you ever gone for a spin with Kimmy? Tell us about it, bud. :D
Well the one time was a real treat! let me tell you about it.
Kim showed up at my place in Red Deer one afternoon around 4ish i suppose, with boat in tow. Well typical of my place there is always a fire bruning in the back yard to sit around and eat and of course drink. We spent the goodcourse of the afternoon drinking and Bs'ing. then it came time for boating. An excellent idea it seemed.
Without Marcy's approval we git the boat fired up, it sputtered a bit and we could smell fule. A quick check under the cowling showed a slight fuel leak. It was fixed. Fired it back up and slowly brought it off idle ( that sucker is loud) it didn't take long ( a few seconds) at the thing was at WOT. I mean screaming.. you could just feel the power in that boat and it was deafening loud. The Throttle response was incredible! The way he hanlded that boat wa s enough to make any seasoned operator envious, The only problem we really encountered was the dirty looks we got from the neighbors walking their dog down the sidewalk ...beside where Kims ..truck...trailer ..and boat were parked:D
Then there was a time in Sylavan lake when we hooked up with the Hanson crew at the hotel they were at. 60 feet form the lake...and what did he get in shit for??? f( aside form the BOOM BOOM BOOOM coming out of his truck at 11:00 PM???? yep...firing the baot up in the parking lot :D
3 times he brought his baot down, 3 times I havent been out in it :D

OCMerrill
09-03-2007, 08:16 PM
So he made your daughter CRY in fright?
Some friend.:rolleyes:

Tom Brown
09-03-2007, 08:17 PM
3 times he brought his baot down, 3 times I havent been out in it :D
I'm envious. :D
Actually, to be serious, Kim is as calm and rational driving his boat as he is posting on the Internet. :cool:
I love his boat... and I love Kimmy.... but it's damn hard to quit smoking after riding with him.

ULTRA26 # 1
09-03-2007, 08:20 PM
Was this sharp turn right in front of the Jack Smith entrance at about 3:30. I was hanging outside the ramp and watched a Magic deck made a crazy turn. I was trying to figure what in the hell the person was doing. The driver needs some safety lessons

Pussywhippled
09-03-2007, 08:25 PM
Was this sharp turn right in front of the Jack Smith entrance at about 3:30. I was hanging outside the ramp and watched a Magic deck made a crazy turn. I was trying to figure what in the hell the person was doing. The driver needs some safety lessons
YOU GOT IT !
That was us.
Now you tell me what you thunkeded of that...

hoolign
09-03-2007, 08:30 PM
Actually, to be serious, Kim is as calm and rational driving his boat as he is posting on the Internet. :cool:
I love his boat... and I love Kimmy.... but it's damn hard to quit smoking after riding with him.
The only reason I started smoking was to warm my throat up after freezing it trying to keep up to him on beer..3 days and Iwas at a pack and a half :D

River Runin
09-03-2007, 08:36 PM
SRY, this would have been to easy for me! :)---Endangering family! :eek: I'd of taken control of the boat! (friendly or not) return to wherever and called it a day!
Pushed the boat out and said Have a good one!--The End

spectras only
09-03-2007, 08:41 PM
Hooli , I've met a guy in OK Falls this weekend who also works at an oil rig in Alta . He built a house very close to my buddy's place there. He bought Mr Pump's HTM 24 SR . Super nice boat . Didn't have time to go for a ride this weekend , but I'm sure it will be a wild one when I have a chance next time. He used to have an Allison with lots of seat time , and a buddy of his has a nice Hydrostream Advantage with a 250 X hangin off the transom . That boat is a rocket out of the hole . Pussywhippled ,you think riding on your friend's boat is scary , you should ride a vintage racer car on bicycle wheels :) .
http://www3.telus.net/spectrasonly/Austin%207%20supercharged

phebus
09-03-2007, 08:48 PM
I'm pretty sure that someone reported that a Magic Deckboat was driving eratically, and four cops almost bled to death from scratching their heads trying to figure out which Magic to go after. :D

Pussywhippled
09-03-2007, 08:52 PM
Pussywhippled ,you think riding on your friend's boat is scary , you should ride a vintage racer car on bicycle wheels :) .
We we be driving straight or would you be making sharp high speed turns back and forth one after the other?
I would probably drive it faster than you straight... LOL
Talking about going fast on bicycle wheels reminds me (dont know why it poped into my head?) the reason I recently sold my KX 250.
I got too crazy on that bike and it was really too fast of a bike for someone with kids that also has to go to work on Monday mornings.
By the way the car is way cool...

Pussywhippled
09-03-2007, 09:01 PM
I'm pretty sure that someone reported that a Magic Deckboat was driving eratically, and four cops almost bled to death from scratching their heads trying to figure out which Magic to go after. :D
Yes there are a bunch of them out there to choose from...
For me... I road in it and drove it and I wasn't impressed. Not that it isn't or that they aren't nice boats, it did handle the chop very well and corners on a dime like no other boat I've been in. LOL
I have a hard time with a boat that has an open front end like a deck boat. It gives me an insecure feeling for some reason, but that's just me.
They are nice for a couple of user friendly reasons... It is nice to board right from the beach and just walk on, and having a water hose system on board is really, really, cool.

78Southwind
09-04-2007, 01:06 AM
I don’t know if it was you guys but I was in my buddies 18’ outboard and this cat moving southbound towards Moabi comes right at us as we are moving northbound. The cat was passing three other boats and a sea doo but to it make the pass the cat had to move over to the left side of the river and force us closer to the shore. If it was you guys tell your kids I am sorry for giving you guys the bird.:D

hoolign
09-04-2007, 01:12 AM
Hooli , I've met a guy in OK Falls this weekend who also works at an oil rig in Alta . He built a house very close to my buddy's place there. He bought Mr Pump's HTM 24 SR . Super nice boat . Didn't have time to go for a ride this weekend , but I'm sure it will be a wild one when I have a chance next time. He used to have an Allison with lots of seat time , and a buddy of his has a nice Hydrostream Advantage with a 250 X hangin off the transom . That boat is a rocket out of the hole . Pussywhippled ,you think riding on your friend's boat is scary , you should ride a vintage racer car on bicycle wheels :) .
Attila, I find it hard to believe that anyone on rigs can afford something around there ..never mind an HTM ;)
Had friends that had a monster shack over SkaHa on east side road, about ten minutes from Penticton..Awsome view of the lake. I don't think I could pick up a house down there for under a mil.. Shoulda bought a few years ago suppose :D

skyskier
09-04-2007, 07:17 AM
Now watch this honey...
Sounds a lot better than this: ...Hello Mom, it's me , your pussywhipped son, I'm calling to tell you my daughter, your grand daughter, is in the hospital with life threatening injuries because she got into a boat with a testosterone challenged obnoxious prick with a TERMINAL case of little man syndrome that was going to show everybody how he could spin out a boat, into the reeds at 70 mph, without rolling it over"..... I truly hope you never have to make that call.

riverfun
09-04-2007, 07:33 AM
You mean that a "***boat" can be a as-hole driver cutting people off and such? I thought only lake lice and roll bar boats were the problems!

Pussywhippled
09-04-2007, 08:18 AM
I don’t know if it was you guys but I was in my buddies 18’ outboard and this cat moving southbound towards Moabi comes right at us as we are moving northbound. The cat was passing three other boats and a sea doo but to it make the pass the cat had to move over to the left side of the river and force us closer to the shore. If it was you guys tell your kids I am sorry for giving you guys the bird.:D
If it was us, you don't have to apollogize to me or my kids that's for sure for a stupid act like that.
Denial isn't just a river people, and most on here wouldn't admit to being on the boat if something bad did happen I'm quite sure.

Pussywhippled
09-04-2007, 08:25 AM
Sounds a lot better than this: ...Hello Mom, it's me , your pussywhipped son, I'm calling to tell you my daughter, your grand daughter, is in the hospital with life threatening injuries because she got into a boat with a testosterone challenged obnoxious prick with a TERMINAL case of little man syndrome that was going to show everybody how he could spin out a boat, into the reeds at 70 mph, without rolling it over"..... I truly hope you never have to make that call.
For me this entire weekend was a doozie...
I am just coming on the boards here telling my Saturday afternoon boating story, good or bad, that's how it went down, and I'm just glad nobody got hurt.
Keep up your I'd kick his ass answers, sounds like I made a really bad judgement call.
Now I thought about posting my Sunday boating story but I'm not sure yet.
FYI it involves a 45 (yes a gun) and a parking spot on the beach.

iparky
09-04-2007, 08:27 AM
OH,, we got to hear about that one, then I will tell you about a parking place and a Hammer, seems us californians are not allowed to share the beach with the Nevada peeps.

Tequila-John
09-04-2007, 08:29 AM
I am just coming on the boards here telling my Saturday afternoon boating story, good or bad, that's how it went down, and I'm just glad nobody got hurt.
Keep up your I'd kick his ass answers, sounds like I made a really bad judgement call.
You are bad ass bro. I am calling your office line now. You in yet?

Pussywhippled
09-04-2007, 08:33 AM
You are bad ass bro. I am calling your office line now. You in yet?
Not yet, too busy typing on here...
I'll should be at my office around 11:00.

Tequila-John
09-04-2007, 08:36 AM
Not yet, too busy typing on here...
I'll should be at my office around 11:00.
I will call you then

Ziggy
09-04-2007, 09:09 AM
irratic driving is worse than speed....but combine the two and disaster could be on the menu.
I had a friend who'd swerve without looking just to cross another wake at closer to 90*, so in other words he'd make a 45* turn back and forth as each wake approached. I never was comfortable with this manuever mainly because he and his wife would do this with looking back.....
Then there was good ol' Cptn. Bill who'd try to jump wakes in his POS trihull. He'd see a wake and throttle at it with all he had......one short ride and never again. BILL got his nickname because his Cptn Morgan's was never far away.

skyskier
09-04-2007, 09:29 AM
I knew it was going to come down this sooner or later! PLEASE give us the details and any pics you might have.

spectras only
09-04-2007, 10:21 AM
Attila, I find it hard to believe that anyone on rigs can afford something around there ..never mind an HTM ;)
Jeff , this guy with the HTM had a property already there and built the house 3 years ago .
My friend bought his property on the lakefront
20 yrs ago for peanuts , now it's worth well over a M . His other house he rents on the east side of the road ,a 5 minute walk from his house was only 215 K around 5 years ago . Empty lots are selling now at 300K and up around OK Falls :jawdrop: . My friend's neighbour [ Woody Wood Pecker :)] has 16 acres sloping up the mountain side ,selling for 1. 2 M right across the road . You should invest in that one , before it's too late :idea:
You can see Woody's place up in the right corner with the junk vans parking there in the first picture of my "Driving the Austin 7 thread" .The view from his place is the same as in the second picture , but better because he's higher up .

spectras only
09-04-2007, 11:19 AM
I was in fear for my life in my boat once, but that was under the bow with a fat chick :D
I guess you had lots of bowsteer :idea: . That could get pretty scary Bilge :) :D

infotraker
09-04-2007, 11:27 AM
Back in the 70's rode in a friends blown flat at Don pedro Ca. He was a little crazy out of the boat and in. We had a fast bumpy ride which seemed very dangerous as the water was not good. A little to on the edge for me and I got back to shore safe. Next ride he flipped the boat and it sunk. He and passenger got cut up and needed stitches. Boat was pulled up that day with a spit hull.

Magic34
09-04-2007, 11:55 AM
For me, it is simple. I am the only one who drives any boat when my kids and wife are on it.

BIGJOEDUCKSLAYER
09-04-2007, 12:01 PM
1st time you scare me, you laugh. 2nd time you scare me I laugh at you in hospitol(SP)! You should have taken control over this ass the 1st time you thought your life or your family's life was in danger. Alright enough of getting on you about your judgment. Glad you guys did not get hurt. So tell about 45 and parking?
BIG JOE SSMF

STV_Keith
09-04-2007, 12:30 PM
Haven't been in one yet that has had me wanting out. OTOH, not many people will get in my boat with me...is that a sign? :idea:

HavaSkank
09-04-2007, 12:40 PM
I was in fear for my life in my boat once, but that was under the bow with a fat chick :D
You said I felt "fluffy" not fat :mad:

Pussywhippled
09-04-2007, 12:48 PM
I boat on that stretch of river ....Can you post a picture of that boat so I know who to avoid?
It was a fluke that he was up river this far. He wanted to checkout our new place and he ended up launching here too.
He loves to sit in the warm dirty bath water down at Havasu too much and can't stand our cold river water.

skyskier
09-04-2007, 12:50 PM
OH,, we got to hear about that one, then I will tell you about a parking place and a Hammer, seems us californians are not allowed to share the beach with the Nevada peeps.
Evidently "pussywhipped" is having a hard time pulling the trigger ( no pun intended) on posting his 45 caliber incident, what's your story? I'm thinking on heading to Mead and would like to know what I'm getting into. Are you talking about some kind of "cove/beach rage"? or a parking spot on the ramp?

Scapegoat1
09-04-2007, 12:58 PM
I am curious, do you have a picture of the boat.

Sportin' Wood
09-04-2007, 01:10 PM
Flash backs to the guy that liked to do spin outs in your Hallett Steve?:D

Pussywhippled
09-04-2007, 01:19 PM
Flash backs to the guy that liked to do spin outs in your Hallett Steve?:D
Thanks for the memories, now that was some stupid stuff to do.
Let's see my 19ft hallet jet, place diverter trimed all the way up and running no rudder.
Fast on top of fast and crank the wheel as hard as you can.
Bow under the water and water coming up and over the transom at the same time, with the whole boat popping back up out of the water like a rubber raft.
What an idiot I was back then, still am for that matter.
But seriously I come on hear and read about accidents and deaths and it changes how you act and feel about being safer on the water.

Sportin' Wood
09-04-2007, 01:29 PM
Thanks for the memories, now that was some stupid stuff to do.
Let's see my 19ft hallet jet, place diverter trimed all the way up and running no rudder.
Fast on top of fast and crank the wheel as hard as you can.
Bow under the water and water coming up and over the transom at the same time, with the whole boat popping back up out of the water like a rubber raft.
What an idiot I was back then, still am for that matter.
But seriously I come on hear and read about accidents and deaths and it changes how you act and feel about being safer on the water.
That boat flat kicked ass. I wanted to buy it but if I was gonna have two Hallett's I needed a bigger one not smaller. Great boat.

Island Girl
09-04-2007, 01:42 PM
Blown Flat been in one of those myself...Never again

ULTRA26 # 1
09-05-2007, 06:08 AM
YOU GOT IT !
That was us.
Now you tell me what you thunkeded of that...
I first thought the Magic was going to enter Jack Smith at about 35 MPH. I know when I saw him turning so hard accorss the River, I moved as quickly as I coud to get out of his way. If I were you and your family, riding with this guy again would be never. I was happy that the Magic didn't hit anyone or roll. That was a crazy turn at that speed in a cat.
Did you see me sitting there?

sorry dog
09-05-2007, 08:34 AM
I'll have a carton waiting for you when you get down here... during your "retirement"