PDA

View Full Version : Bolts leak around the Bowl of Pump??

h2oboy
02-23-2006, 11:36 PM
Has anyone had problems with the 8 bolts around the bowl leaking?? I put the boat in the water with out the snoot on it to run the engine and when I gave the motor gas I noted that water was coming into the boat through the bolts.... Has anyone else had this problem.
I was hoping to not have to break the seals since the transom seal is tight... any thoughts???
It is my first jet and I am trying here!!! everything else is tight on the boat.... Thanks for the help!!!

Wicked Performance Boats
02-24-2006, 04:52 AM
First if you can reach them try to tighten them. If they're tight or it still leaks, it must come apart. There's a gasket in there. BL

RCB19
02-24-2006, 09:49 AM
Check the length of the bolts. I have seen them too long and they bottom out in bowl before they can completely tighten the bowl to the suction housing. Like Bublight said check gasket too.

El Prosecutor
02-24-2006, 12:32 PM
Has anyone had problems with the 8 bolts around the bowl leaking?? I put the boat in the water with out the snoot on it to run the engine and when I gave the motor gas I noted that water was coming into the boat through the bolts.... Has anyone else had this problem.
I was hoping to not have to break the seals since the transom seal is tight... any thoughts???
It is my first jet and I am trying here!!! everything else is tight on the boat.... Thanks for the help!!!
Are you talking about the bolts that hold the bowl to the suction piece(#38):
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/3252Berkeley_12Jc_Drawing.jpg
Or are you talking about the skinny bolts that hold on the rectangular transom adapter?

NJBA Donut Club
02-24-2006, 02:36 PM
Ever try alumi-seal, stuff works great. Pour it down the hand hole cover while running.

SmokinLowriderSS
02-24-2006, 04:53 PM
Ever try alumi-seal, stuff works great. Pour it down the hand hole cover while running.
You'll last a looong time here, won't ya? Idiot troll. :rolleyes:

RCB19
02-24-2006, 05:16 PM
Uhhh Ya Buddy...

4604me
02-24-2006, 11:58 PM
I had the same prob with mine. bolts where tight, turned out to be a bad bowl gasket, it leaked like hell at WOT. while I had it apart I rebuilt it myself, with alot of input from some great people on this forum. never mind this donut hole idiot, it people like him that ruin this forum.

h2oboy
02-25-2006, 01:29 AM
yeah I was hoping not to hear that.... I think I am going to take it to the lake this weekend and see if anything changed.... How long to take apart and put back together... Is this a short process or a long and intense project to undertake... Was hoping to have the boat on the lake in 2 weeks...

Brooski
02-25-2006, 08:19 AM
4 years ago mine starting leaking also. If you are mechanically inclined, you should be able to knock it out in an hour or two. Pop the transom cover off, Unbolt and remove the bowl, put the new gasket in, bolt everything back up.

Rondane
02-25-2006, 08:50 AM
4 years ago mine starting leaking also. If you are mechanically inclined, you should be able to knock it out in an hour or two. Pop the transom cover off, Unbolt and remove the bowl, put the new gasket in, bolt everything back up.
you might be able to save even more time by taking the transom adapter and the bowl off as a unit and not seperately. You might not like the job of sliding the transom adapter over the bowl and have to contend with the bowl o ring when you bolt it back together.. Can be a pain sometimes without lubricating it. Then again...maybe it could be the source of your trouble. Just a thought.
rondane

GTBOATS
02-25-2006, 09:28 AM
It is my first jet and I am trying here!!! everything else is tight on the boat.... Thanks for the help!!! IF THE BOWL LEAKS BETWEEN THE BOWL AND SUCTION PIECE, YOU HAVE TORN THE BOWL GASKET. YOU HAVE TO REMOVE THE BOWL TO REPLACE IT. YOU CAN O RING THE BOWL WHEN YOU HAVE IT OFF AND YOU WILL NEVER HAVE A LEAK AGAIN
DAVID/G T BOATS

Brooski
02-25-2006, 01:58 PM
you might be able to save even more time by taking the transom adapter and the bowl off as a unit and not seperately. You might not like the job of sliding the transom adapter over the bowl and have to contend with the bowl o ring when you bolt it back together.. Can be a pain sometimes without lubricating it. Then again...maybe it could be the source of your trouble. Just a thought.
rondane
Smart Idea. I should have done that..... :)

h2oboy
02-25-2006, 07:16 PM
Great suggestions guys... Thanks for the help.... If i do have to go that route, anyone know where I can get the seals quickly??? I hate to have it all apart and then have to wait for parts... Hopefully the washers I put on will solve the problem, but who knows...
Thanks again

Rondane
02-26-2006, 04:59 AM
Great suggestions guys... Thanks for the help.... If i do have to go that route, anyone know where I can get the seals quickly??? I hate to have it all apart and then have to wait for parts... Hopefully the washers I put on will solve the problem, but who knows...
Thanks again
there is Jett performance in the phoenix area if memory serves..just in your backyard. good luck

454-ways-to-go
02-26-2006, 09:10 AM
Are you serious, next your going to tell everyone to use duct tape!!