PDA

View Full Version : Where to hook up internet in Havasu?

Mrs. casean
09-04-2007, 08:41 AM
We'll be out there for a week and will bring the laptop to check email for work and such, besides the library, is there anywhere to access free internet out there? Any coffee shops? Starbucks charges and we're too cheap to pay :D
I saw Internet Cafe listed on a list I found, anyone know about that place? THANKS!
Lindsay

yopengo
09-04-2007, 08:50 AM
Just park near the High School on Rainbow. One of my neighbors has an unsecured WiFi….:D

bear down
09-04-2007, 08:54 AM
I think the McDonalds has free wifi and so does Shlotzkys deli (sp). good luck

HocusPocus
09-04-2007, 08:57 AM
the internet cafe isn't free but if i remember its pretty cheap.

westair
09-04-2007, 09:00 AM
I always get a connection on my laptop at my house there. Don't know how but it works.

RaceFace
09-04-2007, 09:05 AM
Over by Keywester and Acoma is a good wireless hotspot too :D :D :D

Mrs. casean
09-04-2007, 09:05 AM
Thanks guys! We'll be at Crazy Horse and we may even get it there, worth a try right :D I figured the Library isn't 'the only free place out there now!

Mrs.Racer277
09-04-2007, 09:16 AM
Thanks guys! We'll be at Crazy Horse and we may even get it there, worth a try right :D I figured the Library isn't 'the only free place out there now!
Linds you can always use ours. When will you be in town again??

Mrs. casean
09-04-2007, 09:34 AM
McDonalds isn't free. Just hook the laptop up in the truck and wardrive high end neighborhoods until you find an unsecured network. Just get the available wireless networks screen up and drive and keep hitting refresh. That's what I do when I'm out of town. :D
Why am I not surprised by this :D

Mrs. casean
09-04-2007, 09:35 AM
Linds you can always use ours. When will you be in town again??
Thanks Dia! We'll be in Saturday morning :D I am sooo on vacation mode now! Work... what??? :D

Ziggy
09-04-2007, 09:37 AM
So Linds, after you have all the locations figured out please post the list here for all us other WiFi borrowers :D :D :D

LHC30Victory
09-04-2007, 11:40 AM
McDonalds isn't free. Just hook the laptop up in the truck and wardrive high end neighborhoods until you find an unsecured network. Just get the available wireless networks screen up and drive and keep hitting refresh. That's what I do when I'm out of town. :D
Nothing like a little "harmless" theft of computer services (PC 502(c)(3) ):eek: :D

phebus
09-04-2007, 11:53 AM
Good luck making that case. ;) It's not theft, just like receiving OTA television is not against the law. You throw your signal out where my computer can receive it, oh well.
Yeah, you'd probably be retired before you could make a case like that. :D

uvindex
09-04-2007, 12:00 PM
Yeah, you'd probably be retired before you could make a case like that. :DFrom an arstechnica.com article about a guy in Michigan being arrested for this: :eek:
"This is not the first time someone has been arrested for piggybacking on a WiFi connection. In 2005, a Florida man was arrested and hit with a third-degree felony for surfing an open WiFi network from his SUV. Similarly, an Illinois man was arrested in 2006 for, again, using an unsecured WiFi network from his car. He pleaded guilty to the charges and was given one year's court supervision and a $250 fine. A Washington man was also arrested in 2006 for parking outside of a coffee shop and using the open WiFi connection without purchasing anything. And just earlier this year, an Alaska man was arrested for using the WiFi network from the public library after hours to play games from—you guessed it—his car in the parking lot."

Mrs.Racer277
09-04-2007, 12:02 PM
Thanks Dia! We'll be in Saturday morning :D I am sooo on vacation mode now! Work... what??? :D
I will leave you a key when we have breakfast. I will be back out friday night. That is if I ever leave today. LOL

HemiDude
09-04-2007, 12:22 PM
Nothing like a little "harmless" theft of computer services (PC 502(c)(3) ):eek: :D
For one, if you don't want your wireless "stolen", then you should use encryption on your network. Depending on what cities and areas you are in, most people do not encrypt. Savvy areas like Silicon Valley, everyone encrypts. I think in Havasu you can drive down most any street and find an open network to check your emails. I would worry more about jumping on a public access network (like McDonald's in Havasu) then I would finding someones open network for security in checking my emails real quick....
Just my two coppers....:idea:

Mrs. casean
09-04-2007, 12:25 PM
I will leave you a key when we have breakfast. I will be back out friday night. That is if I ever leave today. LOL
Thanks Dia! I"m sure we'll find a place we can go, Sean just wants to check in for work to make sure there aren't any messes he would have to come home to. You're still out there! YOU SUCK :D You should just take the week off :) I emailed you this morning, you obviously won't be getting it today :D

HavasuUncleLarry
09-04-2007, 12:35 PM
Brewed Awakening Coffee Shop - Next to Bashas's south just off the 95....
(if still open)
Java Rush.. On McCulloch up past Acoma - same complex as Smiths Grocery.. On the side by McCulloch...
Both are legal and open to the public.... Plus you can get coffee and support local lake havasu businesses...
Enjoy
Larry Reese

LHC30Victory
09-04-2007, 12:38 PM
That law reads, paraphrasing, using a computer system without authorization or permission. A half wit, two bit lawyer could argue that:
a. An unsecured computer network that I can receive in a public location has implied consent attached, and;
b. A wireless internet connection is not a computer system. In fact, my connection at the river currently has no computer attached and I'll be damned if you couldn't sit outside my trailer and get a connection.
Hell, I'm not a lawyer and I'm betting $100 that I could beat that charge without counsel.
Didn't want to get too involved or call anyone out on this as most folks know that this happens, just pointing out the technical issue. Phebus is right, I will be retired before I can make this case :D
SWB, as far as "a" goes, does that mean if I leave my front door open and the screen door closed but unlocked it is OK to come in an take things? AND;
as far as "b" goes, the CA definition of use of a system is pretty open and if the wi fi router is not connected (hard wired or not) to anything, how does it work? I think you may be too narrow on your definitions......

Mrs.Racer277
09-04-2007, 12:50 PM
Thanks Dia! I"m sure we'll find a place we can go, Sean just wants to check in for work to make sure there aren't any messes he would have to come home to. You're still out there! YOU SUCK :D You should just take the week off :) I emailed you this morning, you obviously won't be getting it today :D
Speaking of internet I go to reply and this darn site crashes. :devil:
I should have taken the rest of the week. Oh well :)
See you soon. :D :D I will reply tomorrow :)

topflite
09-04-2007, 08:20 PM
Bobs Big Boy has free wireless internet, Pick it up from the parking lot,