PDA

View Full Version : Havasu Ac /garage Question

SummerBreeze
09-04-2007, 09:27 AM
I have a 35 foot deep 2 bay garage that I need to cool down so we can play pool and a little ping pong.
It gets to flipping hot inside the garage to do anything inside.
Do any of you guys have any ideas on what to use as for a AC system?
I rent this place out most of the time. I don't think a swamp cooler would be the way to go.
I do have a window in the garage but I don't like the idea of a AC system in the window with a 2X4 under the AC unit.
I could cut a hole in the wall and do a install that way.
Any Ideas???

Mrs.Racer277
09-04-2007, 09:30 AM
We have a fairly large garage and use our swamp cooler it seems to work good.

SummitKarl
09-04-2007, 09:33 AM
I have a 35 foot deep 2 bay garage that I need to cool down so we can play pool and a little ping pong.
I rent this place out most of the time. I don't think a swamp cooler would be the way to go.
I do have a window in the garage but I don't like the idea of a AC system in the window with a 2X4 under the AC unit.
Any Ideas???
ductless mini split.. is the way to go...perfect for your size garage
sample mini split system (http://www.shop.com/Amcor_Ductless_Split_AC_-31257951-40674819-p!.shtml)

Havasu1986
09-04-2007, 09:34 AM
I have a swamp cooler. PM Slowinhavasu. He installed it. He works for Kool Wave. :)

Havasu_Dreamin
09-04-2007, 09:37 AM
I have a swamp cooler. PM Slowinhavasu. He installed it. He works for Kool Wave. :)
Exactly. Carey is the one to talk to. He'll give you the pros and cons of swamp cooler vs. a/c. If I remember correctly there are certain times of the year, like the monsson season, that the swamper does not work as well.
As an added bonus you can buy some Boat Bling products from him if you need some. :)

RaceFace
09-04-2007, 09:38 AM
I installed a 5000 cfm swamper in my garage in May. 3 car wide and 41 feet deep. Works good UNTIL the humidity goes up....then it becomes a sauna in there!!!

phebus
09-04-2007, 09:45 AM
Swampers work great about 10 mos. of the year out here. Air conditioning the garage wasn't an option for us due to operating costs..

yopengo
09-04-2007, 09:53 AM
What’s the average cost to put in a swamp cooler for a garage?

westair
09-04-2007, 09:57 AM
Swampers work great about 10 mos. of the year out here. Air conditioning the garage wasn't an option for us due to operating costs..
They are less $$ to install to. Swampers also keep your expensive toys from
drying out when humidity levels are down to nothing.

River Lynchmob
09-04-2007, 10:03 AM
Any Ideas???
It sounds like you're looking at about 800 square feet. One question would be how well is the garage insulated? If it is a newer home I'm sure it is insulated well. I personally would do a ductless split as well. I would probably do a 3-ton heat pump due to the extreme temps out there. They mount right to the wall and you would have a couple small holes for the electrical, refrigerant piping and the only onther thing you would have to do is plumb out the condensate. It is a very clean instalation and should be fairly reasonable to install.

RaceFace
09-04-2007, 10:13 AM
What’s the average cost to put in a swamp cooler for a garage?
My swamper was $500 at Lowes and I ran 6 Updux (not enough) and those are $30 each. They say you need 1 Updux per 500 cfm so I did 6 and when its on high, I open the window too....but I hardly ever have it on high. I did it all myself and had my neighbor help me lift the swamper into the hole I cut in the side of the garage. Its a couple hour job but well worth it.

Trailer Park Casanova
09-04-2007, 10:34 AM
I ran a swamper for the grandmother, and it exhaust thru the garage, then threw her home attic, really cooling the place down.
They don't work very well 2 months around Aug when ya need them most.

franky
09-04-2007, 10:38 AM
Had swamper in last garage, what a waste.
Now have 6 tons of fully ducted split system Traine air...yeah baby!!

SummerBreeze
09-04-2007, 10:47 AM
Lots of good ideas here... thanks you got me thinking.
Sounds like the swampers might not be the thing to use

Jyruiz
09-04-2007, 10:57 AM
ductless mini split.. is the way to go...perfect for your size garage
sample mini split system (http://www.shop.com/Amcor_Ductless_Split_AC_-31257951-40674819-p!.shtml)
Take note Karl, I am going to want something like this when we extend my garage. I am thinking the 1.5 ton though. Also, what is the difference between the AC unit and the heat pump unit?

Havasu1986
09-04-2007, 11:04 AM
Lots of good ideas here... thanks you got me thinking.
Sounds like the swampers might not be the thing to use
You won't think that when you get your electric bill. ;)

phebus
09-04-2007, 11:30 AM
[/B]
That's for sure, I bet it would cost me $200. a month to run air in my garage.
The way to go if you could afford it, just wouldn't fit my budget.

Classic Daycruiser
09-04-2007, 11:31 AM
I bought the biggest window A/C unit, and cut a hole in the side wall. The big one runs off of 220V, and cools 2,500 sq feet. I keep it at 90 degrees unless I'm working in there. I costs about $20 a month to run. It took a day to install, and (1) 6 pack.
I also had a swamp cooler, but it does not work good when the heat is above 100 degrees. Gets way to humid, and I here in the long haul, thing's will start to rust.

SummerBreeze
09-04-2007, 11:32 AM
[/B]
See this is something with a rental that I need to look at.
I do have a rental electric bill cap so if these guys leave the AC on all day long and if the bill goes over 100 bucks they pay.
The swampers my require more hands on than I could get a renter to do.

westair
09-04-2007, 11:35 AM
[/B]
Your exactly right, that ac sounds great until you get the bill...... hey its a garage!

phebus
09-04-2007, 11:42 AM
I bought the biggest window A/C unit, and cut a hole in the side wall. The big one runs off of 220V, and cools 25,000 sq feet. I keep it at 90 degrees unless I'm working in there. I costs about $20 a month to run. It took a day to install, and (1) 6 pack.
I also had a swamp cooler, but it does not work good when the heat is above 100 degrees. Gets way to humid, and I here in the long haul, thing's will start to rust.
Something doesn't sound right here. Your telling me I could cool my 1800 sq ft house with that thing for only $20 a month?

Classic Daycruiser
09-04-2007, 11:47 AM
Your exactly right, that ac sounds great until you get the bill...... hey its a garage!
Mine only increased $20 a month. I live in phoenix, and my garage is 20x30feet, with 10.5 foot ceilings. Lightly insulated with 1.5 inch foam board. I'm telling you the window A/C units do not use much power. Just set it to 90 degrees unless your in there working. The big unit cools my garage down to 68 degrees in 30 minutes. Lowes had them for $399, Plus you have to run the 220v (Same price as a spa).:D :D
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=38600&stc=1&d=1188936611
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=38601&stc=1&d=1188936611

Havasu1986
09-04-2007, 11:52 AM
I bought the biggest window A/C unit, and cut a hole in the side wall. The big one runs off of 220V, and cools 2,500 sq feet. I keep it at 90 degrees unless I'm working in there. I costs about $20 a month to run. It took a day to install, and (1) 6 pack.
What happened to 25,000 sq ft. :eek: :D Big difference. And 20 x 30 is 600 square ft.

SummerBreeze
09-04-2007, 11:53 AM
I want the truth

phebus
09-04-2007, 12:00 PM
I want the truth
Sorry, this is ***boat. :D

Classic Daycruiser
09-04-2007, 12:05 PM
Look above...I added pictures. This is my second year, and this has been one burnner of a summer. Last year I turned it off when I was not using it, and it only went up $8 a month, so this year I just kept it running. result was $20 a month...like running a spa.:D :D :D

Classic Daycruiser
09-04-2007, 12:08 PM
:D :D Something doesn't sound right here. Your telling me I could cool my 1800 sq ft house with that thing for only $20 a month?
If you took out all the wall in your 1800 sqft house, it would cost you less than $20 dollars a month at 90 degrees...thats the fact jack:D :D :D

Classic Daycruiser
09-04-2007, 12:13 PM
What happened to 25,000 sq ft. :eek: :D Big difference. And 20 x 30 is 600 square ft. I added 1 to manny zeros, but I fixed it:D The 2500 sqft was what was on the box of the AC unit.

phebus
09-04-2007, 12:18 PM
Living here, and using the garage a lot, I just can't relate to 90˚. My garage sq ft is more then my house and I would want to keep it 78˚ or less, so the dollar cost would be considerably more.
With the swamper, I can keep the temp under 75˚ for 10 mos of the year, and just suffer for the other two.

Classic Daycruiser
09-04-2007, 12:38 PM
Living here, and using the garage a lot, I just can't relate to 90˚. My garage sq ft is more then my house and I would want to keep it 78˚ or less, so the dollar cost would be considerably more. With the swamper, I can keep the temp under 75˚ for 10 mos of the year, and just suffer for the other two.
I build Airplanes in my garage, so I'm out there 25-30 hours a week. The trick is getting an over size unit, so it cools much quicker. When I'm in there it set at 68 degrees, and turns off in 30 minutes.
Central air is not very efficient, but looks very nice.
Here are a few more from inside and out:D
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=38603&stc=1&d=1188938509
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=38604&stc=1&d=1188938509
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=38605&stc=1&d=1188938509

SummitKarl
09-04-2007, 12:42 PM
I bought the biggest window A/C unit, and cut a hole in the side wall. The big one runs off of 220V, and cools 2,500 sq feet. I keep it at 90 degrees unless I'm working in there. I costs about $200 a month to run. It took a day to install, and (1) 6 pack.
there I fixed it.. no big just a type-o;):D
I have 110v window unit.....circa 1980:jawdrop: used about $150 to keep a 600 sq ft garage at 90...:jawdrop:
used a 12 seer/3.5 ton mini split on a customers game/pool room below (slowinhavasu installed it) the customer is a good friend so I am over their a bit.. that mini split is the bomb....it's set at 78.. keeps it there and he swears only $20-$30 increase
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/mini_split.jpg

Classic Daycruiser
09-04-2007, 12:56 PM
I have 110v window unit.....circa 1980:jawdrop: used about $150 to keep a 600 sq ft garage at 90...:jawdrop:
used a 12 seer/3.5 ton mini split on a customers game/pool room below (slowinhavasu installed it) the customer is a good friend so I am over their a bit.. that mini split is the bomb....it's set at 78.. keeps it there and he swears only $20-$30 increase
Yeah those 1980 110V...or for that matter any 110V AC unit are not Efficient. You have to get the 220V unit. There is no comparison between the two.
Central air units have a lot of heat/cooling loss in the attic space, that is why most homes over 2400 sq ft opt for two units.
The 220V window unit does not get much thought, since it is designed to cool one room. A garage is perfect.
Another reason why the 220V window unit is not used much is because HOA's would have a fit. They want you to build a screening wall around any AC unit.
Believe me, you will be very happy with a 220V window unit, as opposed to the slim line unit. The slim line units are ok if your restricted as to the location of the heat pump.:D :D :D I believe Slimlines are $3500+, and Lowes sells a 220V window unit for $399. You need to pull a city permit for the Slim line, not permit for a window unit. But remember, HOA'a Have there own rules.

Hardly Satisfied
09-04-2007, 01:13 PM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/mini_split.jpg
Karl, what is a mini split system, and what does it cost to buy

Classic Daycruiser
09-04-2007, 01:37 PM
This is the head unit for a slimline AC unit. It has two copper pipes that attach to it, the other ends of the pipes attach to the heat pump.
instead of cutting a hole in the wall, you drill a hole through the wall to run the pipes. They are not as energy efficient as a 220V window unit if your comparing the same BTU's output. They kinda look the same from the inside as the window unit. :D :D :D this one costs $3500+ installation.
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=38609&stc=1&d=1188942092

River Lynchmob
09-04-2007, 01:39 PM
A mini split or ductless split basically has the condensing unit, which sits outside as a typical home type slit system does. Instead of mounting the furnace/coil section in the attic or in a closet and running duct work every where you mount the fan coil section right on a wall. you dont have any ductwork hence ductless split. Depending on what manufacturer you use you can get them for a bit over a thousand to over 3,000. But you have two locations to run electrical to plus the refrigeration piping to run.

SummitKarl
09-04-2007, 06:17 PM
same as a split system for the house...air handler goes inside and the compressor outside....they are ideal for a single room application where you would like to keep things quiet rather than having the noise of a wall/window mount. most are remote controlled and have a oscillated air output to cover the entire room
here is a link to several of them (http://www.ajmadison.com/b.php/Mini+Split+Air+Conditioners/N~40), I think the one we used on the pool room was around $1500 installed by "slowinhavasu's" company

Classic Daycruiser
09-04-2007, 06:29 PM
same as a split system for the house...air handler goes inside and the compressor outside....they are ideal for a single room application where you would like to keep things quiet rather than having the noise of a wall/window mount. most are remote controlled and have a oscillated air output to cover the entire room
here is a link to several of them (http://www.ajmadison.com/b.php/Mini+Split+Air+Conditioners/N~40), I think the one we used on the pool room was around $1500 installed by "slowinhavasu's" company
The one I installed is also remote control, as well as built in timers...etc.... Bacisically the difference is the splits do not have as much air flow as a window unit. Remember we are talking the 220V window model. As far as noise, I bet most could not tell the difference, since both have fans which create enough noise on high speed to drown out any compressor noise.
Like I said earlier both are pretty much equal in what they do. The reason you would use the more expensive split unit would be:
1) Your home owners assoc. will not sign off
2) The room you plan on using it in does not have an outside wall.
We use the slimline all the time to keep computer rooms cool, since most are in the middle of the build in small closets (8x8).

westair
09-05-2007, 05:22 AM
I'm I reading this right? A 3.5ton ductless mini split installed for around $1500 by Kool Wave. In Ca we install these all the time for around $4000+ At that price
go for it!

SummitKarl
09-05-2007, 05:30 AM
The one I installed is also remote control, as well as built in timers...etc.... Bacisically the difference is the splits do not have as much air flow as a window unit. Remember we are talking the 220V window model. As far as noise, I bet most could not tell the difference, since both have fans which create enough noise on high speed to drown out any compressor noise.
Like I said earlier both are pretty much equal in what they do. The reason you would use the more expensive split unit would be:
1) Your home owners assoc. will not sign off
2) The room you plan on using it in does not have an outside wall.
We use the slimline all the time to keep computer rooms cool, since most are in the middle of the build in small closets (8x8).
ok you win you have the best A/C unit ever made..:rolleyes: ..............:D

SummitKarl
09-05-2007, 05:36 AM
I'm I reading this right? A 3.5ton ductless mini split installed for around $1500 by Kool Wave. In Ca we install these all the time for around $4000+ At that price
go for it!
customer is a close friend/neighbor of the owner Kool Wave and this was before the 13 seer requirement;) ..I will get the EXACT!!! mdl. and cost later today when I am there....... and I doubt installation rates are even close to the same in Cali as Havi:idea:

SummerBreeze
09-05-2007, 05:57 AM
Oooooh Boy
I was thinking more a long the lines of the 400 dollar wall unit. I want to take the edge off or (heat) in the garage. Maybe play a few games of pool.
I am not planning on spending the afternoon in the garage or forking out 4k for a split unit in a rental.
When I go to Havasu I leave my jacket at home:D
You big ballers and your garage AC units are funny:D

Dan Lorenze
09-05-2007, 06:11 AM
Just curious, since were talking about a rental why not get a portable unit that you can take it home when you leave?

KLEPTOW
09-05-2007, 07:52 AM
I just installed a (Mini Split ductless System) in my Havi garage it was a 24000BTU 13SERR unit, the cost was about 1250.00 ship to my door, by all calculations I should have gone with a 4ton unit but I didn't want to put all of my eggs in one basket so to speak, I will install another one sometime in the future for redundency.
Took me about a 1/2 day to install, could have cut that down but I was in no hurry, as far as DIY it is not that hard to do & you "DON'T NEED TO BE A CERTIFIED A/C TECH TO DO IT YOUR SELF".
The end result was temp in my garage went from 95-100 down to 78 degrees, have not figured the cost increase yet, don't care.
Just need to figure out how to wire this thing into my Hse A/C so i can turn it on remotely.