PDA

View Full Version : Colton Cable Ski-Way

skyskier
09-04-2007, 10:32 AM
So we're sitting around the campfire an I'm telling the kids about the wild & wooly days at the river back when there was not a single boat on the Parker strip Monday thru Thursday, nobody for us "kids" to bum a ski ride from, so we'd go out off of Poston road and tie a ski line onto the rear bumper of one of the cars a ski down the canal. They thought that was pretty crazy, and then I told them about the Cable Ski-way out in Colton. Just wondering if there are any "skiers" here that went to this place? Anybody maybe got some old pictures? As best as I can recall the place had a "channel" maybe 60 feet wide, laid out in a semi square with rounded corners. You'd start out at a takeoff place with a ski handle attached to an overhead cable with some sort of a tension control, like a snow ski bunny tow setup? Anyway, once you got going you could "cut" maybe 40 feet or so left and right, and when you fell, you'd walk over to the shoreline and back to one of the takeoff points. I got kicked out of the place more than once cause if you went out so far as to use all the slack, you could get some serious "air" coming back in, kinda like they do with the ski kites today.

HavaSkank
09-04-2007, 10:58 AM
What the hell? This was in Colton? That's my old hood...I've never heard of this before.

skyskier
09-04-2007, 12:11 PM
What the hell? This was in Colton? That's my old hood...I've never heard of this before.
You'll have to be old enough to have seen Jimi Hendrix, Sonny & Cher and The Ike & Tina Turner Revue, LIVE, at the Cinnamon Cinder, in Long Beach California at the "Trafficd Circle" ...... R U that old?

dirty old man
09-04-2007, 12:38 PM
Yes, I skied there way back in the late 50's, maybe 60's. Although I was a skier, I had trouble with the starts, the rope was way up on towers. The place was North of the SB Freeway, don't remember which offramp. CRS

mark49
09-04-2007, 12:39 PM
Been to cable ski tow on many occasions, it was on Valley Blvd, i remember getting jerked right out of the water at that time... Could be a viable business once again with the wake boarders.
Yes and I’m an old hard rock N’ roller :D

HavaSkank
09-04-2007, 12:42 PM
So weird! I grew up in Reche Canyon, right outside of Colton. I went to Colton hs and NEVER in my 39 years have I heard of such a place.
Off of Valley, huh? Valley and what? I cant even remotely think of where this could have been.

mark49
09-04-2007, 12:49 PM
Valley and Pepper just next to the old Sam Sneed golf course off the 10 fwy.
I think they closed it down around the early or mid 70s
39 huh i grew up in Colton/The Canyon, Grand Terrace, we may know alotta the same people although im older they you, Also graduated from Colton High. Moved away and then came back to settle down, sorta.

HavaSkank
09-04-2007, 12:56 PM
Colton, the Canyon and GT are tiny communities. I'd bet a lot of money we have a freak or two in common.
So it was near the dorky Ghost Town near Valley and Pepper?

mark49
09-04-2007, 12:58 PM
West side of Pepper, was a happin' place in its hayday

HavaSkank
09-04-2007, 01:01 PM
So when did you graduate from Colton?

mark49
09-04-2007, 01:22 PM
1972 we have a reunion next month.... 35th and i still have all my hair :D

HavaSkank
09-04-2007, 01:28 PM
Congrats on the hair. Just tell me you dont count looking like Gallagher as "still having hair." :D

mark49
09-04-2007, 01:44 PM
This summer pic under the bridge, I was told that drinkin' lot's of beer maintains healthy hair growth

HavaSkank
09-04-2007, 03:07 PM
This probably explains the excessive hair on my back. I really really need to switch to wine.

eagle
09-04-2007, 08:20 PM
Grew up in Rialto. Moved to the river in 1968 with my parents. What great life. Cable ski way, yes did a bunch. Friend of my father owned part. I think it opened around 66, what a great time. Don't believe was opened that long. Saw another thread about Danny Churchill, yep skied with him, what a skier, this was before he went to speed. Lived on the river and skied just about year round- started bare footin about 69 when the water was smoooooooth.
Dad used to shit when we burned 80 Gal of gas thru the old jet out footin. Had to run them wide open to get the ride. It was hard to stay in school when the weather called. Friend of mine and I did a double bare foot behind a jet and drug it down until it would not pull anymore. Graduated at Parker High in 71. Yes this guy is old. But I still remember my last class ( after returning from a ski day to finals for High School Graduation. Last class teacher and test said finish and get the f##k out of here. Walked in with tennis shoes makin water noise with tee shirt and swim trucks for the last final.

shueman
09-05-2007, 05:31 AM
Valley and Pepper just next to the old Sam Sneed golf course off the 10 fwy.
I think they closed it down around the early or mid 70s
39 huh i grew up in Colton/The Canyon, Grand Terrace, we may know alotta the same people although im older they you, Also graduated from Colton High. Moved away and then came back to settle down, sorta.
It was there in '69 when I got out of the Army...but closed down shortly thereafter...:rolleyes:

mark49
09-06-2007, 02:53 AM
I did some searching and cable skiing is still around, one site had a nice video..
http://www.skirixenusa.com/
http://www.cable-ski.com/

OCMerrill
09-06-2007, 06:20 AM
How about Ski Land? Anyone remember this place?
I think it was off Van Buren in Riverside?

Wheeler
09-06-2007, 06:24 AM
Here are a few pics from Ski Land.
http://www.vintagehydroplanes.com/foley.html
Bob Foley Photo Album

Not So Fast
09-06-2007, 06:27 AM
You'll have to be old enough to have seen Jimi Hendrix, Sonny & Cher and The Ike & Tina Turner Revue, LIVE, at the Cinnamon Cinder, in Long Beach California at the "Trafficd Circle" ...... R U that old?
Damn, the Cinnamon Cinder, havent heard that in about 50 yrs:eek: How about the Harmony Park Ballroom in Newport Beach doing the surfer stomp, to Dick Dale and the Deltones, good times back then!!!! NSF

skyskier
09-06-2007, 07:12 AM
Damn, the Cinnamon Cinder, havent heard that in about 50 yrs:eek: How about the Harmony Park Ballroom in Newport Beach doing the surfer stomp, to Dick Dale and the Deltones, good times back then!!!! NSF
The Rendezvous Ballroom & The Golden Bear?

Not So Fast
09-06-2007, 08:22 AM
The Rendezvous Ballroom & The Golden Bear?
Yep, you bet:D Club Cheetah, saw the Chambers Bros there (I think) perform "Time", you got high just walking in the place:rolleyes: NSF .... PS Wasnt the Rendezvous and Harmony Park the same place just different names and owners????????? Seems my memory is just a little HAZY for that time period;) NSF

skyskier
09-06-2007, 09:38 AM
Yep, you bet:D Club Cheetah, saw the Chambers Bros there (I think) perform "Time", you got high just walking in the place:rolleyes: NSF .... PS Wasnt the Rendezvous and Harmony Park the same place just different names and owners????????? Seems my memory is just a little HAZY for that time period;) NSF
Yeah, me too!..........I think you're right, both were the same. I'm thinking it was located closer down at Dana Point, overlooking the "boneyard"? It was ALWAYS pretty foggy when I'd come back out to the car. Ever go up to the Century room by LAX for the afterhours? I think the place re-opened at about 5:00am. Saw Chuck Berry jammin with JR Walker & Etta James, Hoyt Axton, too many more I can't remember? Never knew who was gonna show up

cpatterson
09-04-2011, 06:24 AM
I grew up in Rialto and now live in Oklahoma... funny but this is in the town of Guthrie where i live now, reminds me of th 60's and 70's in Colton. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RIIkRi8Cfc&feature=player_embedded