PDA

View Full Version : good example of pump pressure taking out a block

IMPATIENT 1
09-04-2007, 01:40 PM
wasn't exactly to much pressure, the block was either rusted in the water passages or the block had been froze prior to me getting ahold of it. i just had 700 bucks worth of machine work done to it:mad: i had a pressure regulator on the inlet, but the pressure musta spiked hard and found the weak spot in the block:( wasn't a good labor day for me:rolleyes:

IMPATIENT 1
09-04-2007, 01:41 PM
http://***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=38610&d=1188941997

IMPATIENT 1
09-04-2007, 01:44 PM
http://***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=38611&d=1188942014

hotbo
09-04-2007, 01:49 PM
well tom im sorry for ya bro,be nice to have a dart block know wouldnt it:idea: my best wishes for your recovery after all that has been wrong thiss year for ya.:D

Sleeper CP
09-04-2007, 04:01 PM
That elephant snot is ugly. Sorry to see that.
Hope you didn't hurt anything else.
Sleeper CP
565" Ford Lover

gr16241
09-04-2007, 05:19 PM
How bout a milkshake. It sure makes you sick to your stomach doesn't it. Been there - hope most of the parts are ok.

SBC Jetboat
09-04-2007, 06:17 PM
didnt you have the block mag tested?

1968Droptop
09-04-2007, 07:18 PM
JEEZUS Tom, that freakin blows. REALLY sorry to hear/see that !!! Been a trying year for you to say the least. What's your next move ?

Longstr
09-05-2007, 05:03 AM
That really blows dude... you got a bad ca:mad: e of luck...

IMPATIENT 1
09-05-2007, 05:10 AM
JEEZUS Tom, that freakin blows. REALLY sorry to hear/see that !!! Been a trying year for you to say the least. What's your next move ?
i've found other blocks , just lookin for a unmolested 1 to start with.
yes, i had the block magged, you'd never been able to see it where it came thru at. it left a hole big enough to plug up with a pinky finger, i don't see any crackin around the hole.
everything in the block is fine, all the bearings still look new;) pistons are unhurt. yeah, i'm pissed but at this point in the yr. i could care less other than the $$$$. i was plannin on yanking it all back out next month anyways, sell my ole blower set-up, buy a new 8-71, step up the cam and springs;)

IMPATIENT 1
09-05-2007, 05:13 AM
well tom im sorry for ya bro,be nice to have a dart block know wouldnt it:idea: my best wishes for your recovery after all that has been wrong thiss year for ya.:D
lol, i was lookin at them last nite, be nice to run a 632:devil: i think brad mills has a unmolested block that spun a main, maybe he'll let it go cheap.i called larry last nite for info. someone gave me 2 blocks , but both are rouuuuggghhhh:rolleyes:

Devilman
09-05-2007, 05:22 AM
Maybe its a sign that you should be building another Ford....:D

Longstr
09-05-2007, 05:27 AM
I agree... :D

motormonkey
09-05-2007, 06:11 AM
Its good to hear you want to keep boating after hearing about your summer so far.:jawdrop: I'm suprised with all the machine work that it wasnt sonic checked.

IMPATIENT 1
09-05-2007, 06:20 AM
dude, ya don't even know:( i had my sj sitting next to this tx-19 for 2months, the sj had a fresh 11 to 1 forged 460 in it, i should've made the swap before sellin the sj:mad:

IMPATIENT 1
09-05-2007, 06:25 AM
Its good to hear you want to keep boating after hearing about your summer so far.:jawdrop: I'm suprised with all the machine work that it wasnt sonic checked.
block was sonic tested, i had it bored 100 over;)
the block broke in the cam gallery near #7 cyl. no matter how it was checked, there's no way to see up in their with the naked eye. i didn't see cracks around the hole so i assume it rusted while sitting up on its bellhousing for a few yrs., then got built with a weak spot.i'll try to get a pic of the hole, but i'm gonna have to shoot it off my mirror to get an angle to see it.
i spent 700 on this block, magging, sonic testing, boring, line honing , decking, cam bearings at a reputable machine shop. i don't have ill will towards them, they did their jobs, shit happens.

hotbo
09-05-2007, 06:43 AM
dude, ya don't even know:( i had my sj sitting next to this tx-19 for 2months, the sj had a fresh 11 to 1 forged 460 in it, i should've made the swap before sellin the sj:mad:
blah-blah:jawdrop: bullshit,they can all blow no matter the make.like you said tom shit happens and you done your job and the machine shop done theres;) so it wasnt meant to be i wish you the best and ill ask around here for ya.later trav.:D

Devilman
09-05-2007, 06:44 AM
I hear ya. Just one of them deals, I been there. That Ford was pushing the SJ to low 80s, so it more than likely would have had that TX in the 90s easily. Not tryin to rub salt in the wound, I was just sayin..... :)

IMPATIENT 1
09-05-2007, 06:56 AM
blah-blah:jawdrop: bullshit,they can all blow no matter the make.like you said tom shit happens and you done your job and the machine shop done theres;) so it wasnt meant to be i wish you the best and ill ask around here for ya.later trav.:D
lol, yeah yeah i know.i think brad is gonna sell me the block that came outta the lp, the 1st 1:D gotta call him and run up there this weekend. i'd like to get the motor back together on a stand before xmas so i can concentrate on a bigger blower set-up/dominators in the spring. nothing left to do to the hull so i guess i'll hang it from the ceiling in my shop and rebuild the trailer.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
09-05-2007, 07:00 AM
I really didnt want to open this thread but I did:cry::cry:

IMPATIENT 1
09-05-2007, 07:04 AM
I really didnt want to open this thread but I did:cry::cry:
lol, mike i just can hit a lick this summer brother:D oh well, i was wanting to run more boost anyways and this block wasn't o-ring'd, guess i've got the time now to do that:rolleyes:

Sleeper CP
09-05-2007, 07:14 AM
Yeah ... What he said.
My Bro and I pull up to the sand bar at Aha Quin and this guy makes a bee line to the boat to say "Hi". Says "my son has been reading about your boat on the net, you're the Ford guys aren't you? Well I got a 428 FE on Nitrous in my jet boat over there" Needless to say we were instant friends. He and his son are really nice guys.
A 428 on Nos :eek: Talk about dare to be different:D
Sleeper CP

ck7684
09-05-2007, 08:03 AM
Dang...what kind of regulator were you running? Is it normal for them to spike pressure??

IMPATIENT 1
09-05-2007, 08:35 AM
Dang...what kind of regulator were you running? Is it normal for them to spike pressure??
i bought mine at a plumbing store, its just a basic well pump regulator, and its goin in the trash now;) the water pressure should've blown a gasket or hose off , not blow a hole in the block, the block was just shit.
i'm stepping up my blower set-up if anyone is looking for a cheap 6-71 to bolt on.1600.00 with everything, including carbs and linkage.it ain't pretty but it'll put out 10-11lbs at 30%over on my 475bbc.new bearings and gaskets installed 2yrs ago.

1968Droptop
09-05-2007, 02:24 PM
At least nothing was hurt, save for the block. Did you hear it go ? Also glad to see your attitude is all good. What can you do, except build it better/faster/stronger. Nothing $$$$$$$$$ won't fix :D

@theRVR
09-05-2007, 03:03 PM
i bought mine at a plumbing store, its just a basic well pump regulator, and its goin in the trash now;) the water pressure should've blown a gasket or hose off , not blow a hole in the block, the block was just shit.
i'm stepping up my blower set-up if anyone is looking for a cheap 6-71 to bolt on.1600.00 with everything, including carbs and linkage.it ain't pretty but it'll put out 10-11lbs at 30%over on my 475bbc.new bearings and gaskets installed 2yrs ago.
Why not put a check valve set at 20 or so lbs. in after the regulator, that way if it all goes to h*ll or builds to much pressure the check will open, not pressurizing the engine and components? :idea:

IMPATIENT 1
09-05-2007, 03:37 PM
At least nothing was hurt, save for the block. Did you hear it go ? Also glad to see your attitude is all good. What can you do, except build it better/faster/stronger. Nothing $$$$$$$$$ won't fix :D
i felt and herd a "change";) looked back and seen smoke, started letting out and then my oil plug in the v/cover shot out at mach 2:D followed by the white oil slick:( before the slick could hit the water, i'd already shut the motor off, i was rockin along at 90+ when i did it.nothing expensive is hurt, just the block.
i'm trying to keep a positive attitude drop, wtf can i do about it now but make it stronger/faster:devil: if it were june or july, i'd be beside myself:mad:

PE826
09-05-2007, 06:45 PM
Impatient,
Does the blower set up include the manifold? and could you send me a couple of pics?
Thanks
J
Svt2224@yahoo.com

Unchained
09-06-2007, 03:25 AM
It's too bad you've had a string of engine problems this year.
The water pressure regulators I've seen are only a ball and spring setup and can't bypass enough water volume to make much of a difference. I always had to restrict the water flow right at the fitting on the pump. I found that a 5/16" orifice size was plenty to feed the engine and intercooler.

IMPATIENT 1
09-06-2007, 05:14 AM
Impatient,
Does the blower set up include the manifold? and could you send me a couple of pics?
Thanks
J
Svt2224@yahoo.com
yes, email sent;)

IMPATIENT 1
09-06-2007, 05:18 AM
It's too bad you've had a string of engine problems this year.
The water pressure regulators I've seen are only a ball and spring setup and can't bypass enough water volume to make much of a difference. I always had to restrict the water flow right at the fitting on the pump. I found that a 5/16" orifice size was plenty to feed the engine and intercooler.
that's where i regulated at man, i put a well pump pressure regulator that's preset at 30psi on the inlet coming from the pump. then i ran 3/4 from it , split that to the block with 5/8, and had 1 5/8 hose dumping outgoin water. the temp always stayed around 150-170.
the more i've looked at this block the more i'm convinced that it stood in the corner of a barn or something for awhile on its bellhousing side tilted back on the alignment pins, the water pooled in the part that blew out and rusted for a few yrs:mad:

Longstr
09-06-2007, 05:24 AM
Any luck from Mills, Tom? :D

IMPATIENT 1
09-06-2007, 05:29 AM
Any luck from Mills, Tom? :D
nah, i worked late last nite and didn't want to bother him to late in the nite.i'm not to worried about a block right now, i've got a ton of them around me;) i talked to trav last nite and he thinks i need to go back nitrous, sure got's me thinking:D big 2-stage 500hp shot would be hard to beat in a 1000ft:devil: and if i sell the blower set-up, i'll have all the money needed to do it.

Longstr
09-06-2007, 05:56 AM
I agree!!! just get you 2 20lb bottles one mounted on each side of your stringers.... :D I was looking at some 2 stage kits for mine 250- then 400 from NOS... :devil:

IMPATIENT 1
09-06-2007, 06:24 AM
I agree!!! just get you 2 20lb bottles one mounted on each side of your stringers.... :D I was looking at some 2 stage kits for mine 250- then 400 from NOS... :devil:
i was thinkin more along the lines of 2 10lb bottles mounted in the boat:D carry 2 more for extras;)

Longstr
09-06-2007, 06:26 AM
i was thinkin more along the lines of 2 10lb bottles mounted in the boat:D carry 2 more for extras;)
you will burn through 10 lbs pretty fast... especially with a two stage system, the 20 lb bottle is 27 in long by 8 in dia... not to big :eek:

IMPATIENT 1
09-06-2007, 06:52 AM
you will burn through 10 lbs pretty fast... especially with a two stage system, the 20 lb bottle is 27 in long by 8 in dia... not to big :eek:
i'd have to sell my pistons and bump compression up to 13 to 1, then have my shiat rebalanced cause the dome pistons weigh @70grams more each:eek: then again a 9.5 to 1 motor could take alot of nitrous and be pump gas freindly on the normal lake days:idea:

Longstr
09-06-2007, 07:01 AM
i'd have to sell my pistons and bump compression up to 13 to 1, then have my shiat rebalanced cause the dome pistons weigh @70grams more each:eek: then again a 9.5 to 1 motor could take alot of nitrous and be pump gas freindly on the normal lake days:idea:
I think you could use a "FRIENDLY" motor next year :D

IMPATIENT 1
09-06-2007, 07:16 AM
I think you could use a "FRIENDLY" motor next year :D
lmao:D ain't that the truth!!! my wife even told me to switch back to nitrous, the whine gets on her nerves:D

Longstr
09-06-2007, 07:52 AM
Juice it TOM!!!! :D
NOS turns a close race into an ass whooooping... :devil: