PDA

View Full Version : lost MX bike title...

sintax
09-04-2007, 03:57 PM
There is a bike that I went a looked at, the guy does not have the title for it. He said that the guy he bought it from 2 yrs ago lost it when he moved.
Who knows what the story really is... Is there a way for me to find out if the bikes stolen before I fork over cash? From what I understand I can always apply for a lost title with the California DMV (where I'm located and the bike is too) and they can issue a replacement title. Can I call somebody and have them run the VIN or anything? An internet site would be even better, i would not even need to use my dialing wand.
I just dont want to caugh up the cash to find out its a stolen bike and then be hosed.
Any info would be great.

AZJD
09-04-2007, 06:43 PM
Don't do it. Would bet a hundred it's stolen........... Make him apply for a duplicate or have someone here run the vin#
I would gaurantee you can't get a title. I had this problem with a bike I bought from dealer. They bought the bike from an auction. Turns out it was a repo and they never recieved a title, therefore neither did I. I got sick of fighting with them I dumped it off to Jordy!:D

Phat Matt
09-04-2007, 08:30 PM
The DMV should be able to run the VIN for you and tell you if it's been listed as stolen.
This would be a great question for this board...
www.thumpertalk.com
...just don't tell them you are from here, at least until you get your answer. :devil: :)

sintax
09-04-2007, 08:33 PM
The DMV should be able to run the VIN for you and tell you if it's been listed as stolen.
This would be a great question for this board...
www.thumpertalk.com
...just don't tell them you are from here, at least until you get your answer. :devil: :)
I think my computer would self destruct if i entered that address into my web browser....
The bike in question is a KX500, but then again my lady rides a yzf 250...
2 stroke, why waste that extra power on two more cycles :)

jeepinscott
09-04-2007, 08:35 PM
I had a similar situation. Long story short, the bike was not stolen, but there was still a lien on it. The finance company went out of business. I never received title, so I can't register the bike. Don't do it unless it is legit. Tell the owner to go fill out a lost title on the bike at the DMV and bring proof to you that it's in his name and is free from a lien holder.

sintax
09-04-2007, 09:02 PM
i'm assuming only the DMV could tell me if there was a lien on it??

ELVIS
09-04-2007, 09:17 PM
just send me your money...