09-05-2007, 01:27 PM
1hr 37min and 1,537 calories burned http://smiley.onegreatguy.net/ban-cha.gif

superdave013
09-05-2007, 01:30 PM
you a Garmin Edge freak too?

RiverOtter
09-05-2007, 01:32 PM
you a Garmin Edge freak too?
Haven't stepped up to that yet. Just got a Polar watch and a Cateye on my Bianchi

Froggystyle
09-05-2007, 03:08 PM
I have a Polar 720i that I have used for about three years and love it. I just got a new battery put in it as a matter of fact. While it was away though, I bought the new Garmin Edge 305 and fell in love with it. Totally cool being able to graph the ride, overlay on Google Earth etc... Coolest part of it is racing yourself on subsequent rides. You can program your last ride as a pacer, and then try to stay ahead of it to show improvement.
I usually burn over 1,000 calories per hour on the bike. I get a slightly better workout on the eliptiglider on a calorie per hour basis, but infinitely more fun on the Mountain bike.
BTW Dave, I broke the steerer tube on my Yeti from riding it a bit too hard. New frame is coming in tomorrow. Immediate replacement, this years bike.

RiverOtter
09-05-2007, 03:37 PM
I bought the new Garmin Edge 305 and fell in love with it. Totally cool being able to graph the ride, overlay on Google Earth etc... Coolest part of it is racing yourself on subsequent rides. You can program your last ride as a pacer, and then try to stay ahead of it to show improvement.
I usually burn over 1,000 calories per hour on the bike. I get a slightly better workout on the eliptiglider on a calorie per hour basis, but infinitely more fun on the Mountain bike.
BTW Dave, I broke the steerer tube on my Yeti from riding it a bit too hard. New frame is coming in tomorrow. Immediate replacement, this years bike.
I gotta get that Garmin. I don't do much mtn biking mostly road. But weekend before last I entered a 42 miles mtn bike race. Had not ridden my mtn bike (which is an old Specialized Hot Rock hard tail) in over a year. I've done pleanty of road biking though. I completed a 3 state 3 mtn century ride. Resting heart rate of 42. I'm in pretty good shape. Well............. that 42 mile mtn bike race kicked my arse!!!! Hardest thing I've competed in and done so poorly. Totaly hume a lated and m bare assed :D Burned 5,500+ cal on that ride.

Froggystyle
09-05-2007, 04:25 PM
I gotta get that Garmin. I don't do much mtn biking mostly road. But weekend before last I entered a 42 miles mtn bike race. Had not ridden my mtn bike (which is an old Specialized Hot Rock hard tail) in over a year. I've done pleanty of road biking though. I completed a 3 state 3 mtn century ride. Resting heart rate of 42. I'm in pretty good shape. Well............. that 42 mile mtn bike race kicked my arse!!!! Hardest thing I've competed in and done so poorly. Totaly hume a lated and m bare assed :D Burned 5,500+ cal on that ride.
Well, the Polar is pretty cool too. Lots of info, most of the stuff the Garmin does but with the GPS function for mapping the ride.
I'll sell you the Polar for $200 with the IR reciever, new unused speed sensor and magnet, used speed sensor and magnet (use them for two bikes, road and mountain) and the killer coded soft fabric heart strap... $349 for the unit alone in stores, plus the other stuff would put it well over $425.
I don't need it anymore with the Garmin. I wouldn't have bought the Garmin myself, but it was a gift. Definitely more gidgy gadgy, but doesn't have some of the functions of the Polar either.

Froggystyle
09-05-2007, 04:27 PM
Just looking at the Polar... Pretty cool little unit. It measures temperature, grade, altitude, total ascended, total descended, heart rate, average heart rate, speed, pace, average speed etc...

superdave013
09-05-2007, 05:02 PM
I don't need it anymore with the Garmin. I wouldn't have bought the Garmin myself, but it was a gift. Definitely more gidgy gadgy, but doesn't have some of the functions of the Polar either.
my Garmin was a gift also. Something cool to have but would have never spent the money on it.
Anyway, just what I wish the 305 had the new ones do. But no way would I have that much coin sitting on top of the bars.
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=160&pID=10884
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=160&pID=10885

RiverOtter
09-05-2007, 05:15 PM
Well, the Polar is pretty cool too. Lots of info, most of the stuff the Garmin does but with the GPS function for mapping the ride.
I'll sell you the Polar for $200 with the IR reciever, new unused speed sensor and magnet, used speed sensor and magnet (use them for two bikes, road and mountain) and the killer coded soft fabric heart strap... $349 for the unit alone in stores, plus the other stuff would put it well over $425.
Wife has put the KiBosh on me buying anything for a while. Next purchase will be the Garmin.

superdave013
09-05-2007, 05:15 PM
I did a 44 mile/ 8,800' one last year. I tried to train some for it. Ended up getting the flu right before it. But in a nut shell I was the only fat guy out there. lol Needless to say I suffered. But we still did some extra credit single tracks along the way.
Here is the goods
44.67 miles, 8,851' total ascent, 8,787' descent, 5,865 calories, total time 8:43:17! The dude that won it did it in 3 hours and change. :jawdrop:
here's the route
http://www.geoladders.com/show_route.php?route=69
And that's the short one, the long one is 55.2 miles with over 11K of climbing. Froggy is going to kick everyone's ass on the next one coming up. ;) I'm just going to try and finish better and suffer less on the short course.
Here is froggy's route to be. lol
http://www.geoladders.com/show_route.php?from_top=1&route_id=489

RiverToysJas
09-05-2007, 05:18 PM
Do you guys wear those shorts that outline your junk too??? :eek: ......I'd rather be fat. :D
RTJas :D

RiverOtter
09-05-2007, 05:26 PM
I did a 44 mile/ 8,800' one last year. I tried to train some for it. Ended up getting the flu right before it. But in a nut shell I was the only fat guy out there. lol Needless to say I suffered. But we still did some extra credit single tracks along the way.
Here is the goods
44.67 miles, 8,851' total ascent, 8,787' descent, 5,865 calories, total time 8:43:17! The dude that won it did it in 3 hours and change. :jawdrop:
here's the route
http://www.geoladders.com/show_route.php?route=69
And that's the short one, the long one is 55.2 miles with over 11K of climbing. Froggy is going to kick everyone's ass on the next one coming up. ;) I'm just going to try and finish better and suffer less on the short course.
Here is froggy's route to be. lol
http://www.geoladders.com/show_route.php?from_top=1&route_id=489
I'm not sure of the total elevation but I know it wasn't that much. The winner did it in 3 hrs and I completed in 5:42. I was the only guy (out of 200) without clips and a total POS hard tail bike. Like I said, I was humbled.
Those routs look like sufferfests :eek:

superdave013
09-05-2007, 05:29 PM
Do you guys wear those shorts that outline your junk too??? :eek: ......I'd rather be fat. :D
and fat looks good on you ;)
nope, no grape smuggles for me. lol

Havasu Hangin'
09-05-2007, 05:31 PM
Fat guy + spandex = mountain biker who couldn't hack it on the road with the real men
:jawdrop:

RiverToysJas
09-05-2007, 05:33 PM
and fat looks good on you ;)
Thanks! I look at it as an earthquake preparedness kit that I take with me everywhere I go! ;)

RiverOtter
09-05-2007, 05:35 PM
Only on my road bike
Fat guy + spandex = mountain biker who couldn't hack it on the road with the real men
After that mtn bike race I have a whole new respect for mtn biking. I felt like I have been in a bar fight after that race. The only thing that hurts after a long road bike day is my legs and my arse

superdave013
09-05-2007, 05:37 PM
The only thing that hurts after a long road bike day is my legs and my arse
and that right there is why Havasu Hangin' is a roadie fag! :D :D :D

Havasu Hangin'
09-05-2007, 05:39 PM
After that mtn bike race I have a whole new respect for mtn biking. I felt like I have been in a bar fight after that race. The only thing that hurts after a long road bike day is my legs and my arse
Then you should come racing with me sometime. There's nothing quite like locking handlebars at 30MPH and ending up over the bars at 35MPH with a mouthful of pavement.
Mountain bikes are for guys who feel uncomfotable taking the training wheels off...lol.
:D

RiverOtter
09-05-2007, 05:44 PM
Then you should come racing with me sometime. There's nothing quite like locking handlebars at 30MPH and ending up over the bars at 35MPH with a mouthful of pavement.
Mountain bikes are for guys who feel uncomfotable taking the training wheels off...lol.
My personal record downhill speed is 47. It was a short hill (2.5 miles). I think I could have broke 50 if I had another half mile :D . I have a compact for climbing though so it kills my descent.

Havasu Hangin'
09-05-2007, 05:50 PM
My personal record downhill speed is 47. It was a short hill (2.5 miles). I think I could have broke 50 if I had another half mile :D .
I was talking about criteriums with flat sprint finishes- timid downhill mountain bikers need not apply.
I have a compact for climbing though so it kills my descent.
You mountain bike guys could probably go faster if you don't apply makeup while riding...

RiverOtter
09-05-2007, 05:52 PM
I was talking about criteriums with flat sprint finishes- timid downhill mountain bikers need not apply.
You mountain bike guys could probably go faster if you don't apply makeup while riding...
You got it wrong skippi. I'm a rodie

Havasu Hangin'
09-05-2007, 06:03 PM
You got it wrong skippi. I'm a rodie
Good. However, if you ever get the urge to mountain bike, don't forget the tassles for the handlebars and card in the spokes...lol.

RiverOtter
09-05-2007, 06:06 PM
Good. However, if you ever get the urge to mountain bike, don't forget the tassles for the handlebars and card in the spokes...lol.
Like I'd forget the cards :rolleyes:
.:D

MBlaster
09-05-2007, 06:09 PM
It takes brass balls to be competitve in criteriums. I've seen many a slaughter, and been part of a couple. Mountain bike racing is for pussys.

NashvilleBound
09-05-2007, 06:13 PM
Im all good with riding a bike say in FL on vacation.... or if someone has a hobby like that to keep in shape... but whats with the queers that dress up all the same, use up a traffic lane going a fraction of the posted speed. Then get pissed when I pass them and my mirror brushes his shoulder. They only seem to want to ride on high traffic areas to be seen by the public. I mean get a FRICKEN CLUE. Go find some country road and ride away.......far far away.

Havasu Hangin'
09-05-2007, 06:14 PM
It takes brass balls to be competitve in criteriums. I've seen many a slaughter, and been part of a couple. Mountain bike racing is for pussys.
You gotta love bumping shoulders in the gutter while winding out your 53/12. :jawdrop:
Hell, how many low gears do those mountain bike guys need, anyway? :idea:

superdave013
09-05-2007, 06:20 PM
You gotta love bumping shoulders in the gutter while winding out your 53/12. :jawdrop:
Hell, how many low gears do those mountain bike guys need, anyway? :idea:
mine dh bike only has 9 and none are very low.

MBlaster
09-05-2007, 06:21 PM
whats with the queers that dress up all the same, use up a traffic lane going a fraction of the posted speed. Then get pissed when I pass them and my mirror brushes his shoulder. They only seem to want to ride on high traffic areas to be seen by the public. I mean get a FRICKEN CLUE. Go find some country road and ride away.......far far away.
They are probably on a team, and geeze its freaking Nashville...every road is a hick road, ain't it?

NashvilleBound
09-05-2007, 06:24 PM
They are probably on a team, and geeze its freaking Nashville...every road is a hick road, ain't it?
LMAO.... well I was actually talking about San Diego... but out here in TN it really gets me when they wiz past my doublewide. Walls are thin and i can hear then coming and going.... really irks me. :D

superdave013
09-05-2007, 06:25 PM
Im all good with riding a bike say in FL on vacation.... or if someone has a hobby like that to keep in shape... but whats with the queers that dress up all the same, use up a traffic lane going a fraction of the posted speed. Then get pissed when I pass them and my mirror brushes his shoulder. They only seem to want to ride on high traffic areas to be seen by the public. I mean get a FRICKEN CLUE. Go find some country road and ride away.......far far away.
lol, that right there is a pack of roadie fags. lol
Really though, I have respect for the road guys for sure. Just man, some of the outfits are to cute for me to think about. But yeah, some of those guys are animals.
Just like boating, v drivers rag the jetters or v bottom vs cats or everyone hating on the jet skis.

superdave013
09-05-2007, 06:32 PM
well if you ever want to go ride some DH with us pussys just let me know. :)

Havasu Hangin'
09-05-2007, 06:34 PM
mine dh bike only has 9 and none are very low.
So how do you get uphill on that thing? Take your convertable Bug? And I'm kinda surprised to see you wearing gloves...I'd hate to see you break a nail...lol.

superdave013
09-05-2007, 06:42 PM
That bike is not about the up so ride what I can and push the rest.
Unless we are at Northstar or Mammoth, then you just hand it to the chair lift dude.
But for the most part, it's alot more work to get around on then my XC bike is. Tomorrow I'm taking it out to poach a few spots. :D
I also have a Santa Cruz Bullit. That's really my main bike and yes, it has the full range of gears.
That photo was taken at the bottom of Tunnel in santa barbara. F'in brutal place and also one of my fav trails.

MBlaster
09-05-2007, 06:43 PM
well if you ever want to go ride some DH with us pussys just let me know. :)
I've done some DH for fun with friends. Don't have a dedicated DH bike but it was fun stuff not having to peddle or work very hard.

Havasu Hangin'
09-05-2007, 06:46 PM
That bike is not about the up so ride what I can and push the rest.
Unless we are at Northstar or Mammoth, then you just hand it to the chair lift dude.
But for the most part, it's alot more work to get around on then my XC bike is. Tomorrow I'm taking it out to poach a few spots. :D
I also have a Santa Cruz Bullit. That's really my main bike and yes, it has the full range of gears.
That photo was taken at the bottom of Tunnel in santa barbara. F'in brutal place and also one of my fav trails.
My bro is now working at Felt. After a few crashes...he's not doing the downhill or tow-up ramp jumps anymore.
He turned straight and is road-riding again.

MBlaster
09-05-2007, 06:50 PM
Really though, I have respect for the road guys for sure. Just man, some of the outfits are to cute
You really think they are cute?
Mrs Mblaster alway likes the tight shorts too.;)
Though she's not sure abouth the shaved legs, says its like being with a chick.

Havasu Hangin'
09-05-2007, 06:55 PM
You really think they are cute?
He's just a typical mountainbiker...calling other guys "cute". http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/gay.gif

MBlaster
09-05-2007, 07:01 PM
He's just a typical mountainbiker...calling other guys "cute". http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/gay.gif
Those mtb guys eat too much granola and nuts.

h2-go
09-05-2007, 07:03 PM
50 miles in to century road ride. Steep hill blew chain off and lucky i did not go down. So i'm pretty pumped up,once the cramps were gone i rechain thinking i dont want to start over on hill so i head across and up and son of a &$%^#@(**) i blew the damn chain off again. If you have this happen to you do your self a favor and check the derailer pos. Ill be back

MrsGHT
09-05-2007, 07:11 PM
If we lived in Cali. I would definitely ride more outdoors. I only cycle at 24 hr fitness twice per week (spin class) and after two years of the same classes, it still kicks my butt. Although, I look forward to how I feel afterwards of the sweating everytime.:D

MBlaster
09-05-2007, 07:19 PM
If we lived in Cali. I would definitely ride more outdoors. I only cycle at 24 hr fitness twice per week (spin class) and after two years of the same classes, it still kicks my butt. Although, I look forward to how I feel afterwards of the sweating everytime.:D
Spinning properly and not just mashing the peddles will give you the greatest ass. Think 3 o'clock to 9 o'clock and pull through like you are scraping your feet. Concentrate on your form and don't forget to breathe.;)

MrsGHT
09-05-2007, 07:33 PM
Spinning properly and not just mashing the peddles will give you the greatest ass. Think 3 o'clock to 9 o'clock and pull through like you are scraping your feet. Concentrate on your form and don't forget to breathe.;)
Like I said after 2years, I've learned alot and never point your toes either. And exactly, I like to hover the bike because that is the only way I see results in my ass (the ass I never have had, but still trying at 37). Hopefully, when I'm forty I'll have an ass like a 25 year old again.:rolleyes: :D

Ryphraph
09-05-2007, 07:58 PM
The awesome thing about the Garmin Edge deal is that they would know exactly when and where my heart blew out regardless of where and when they found my corpse:eek:
I am thinking one of those would be sweet but I need to get back on the bike before I would pony up for one. I still have a sweet lighting system I have yet to use from a birthday several years ago.
Some of the best years of my life, I was riding in the mountains 5 or 6 days a week.
Ryph

My Man's Sportin' Wood
09-05-2007, 08:07 PM
That is a VERY snappy outfit, right there! :D
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=38680&d=1189042060

superdave013
09-05-2007, 08:23 PM
Thanks! :D

Havasu Hangin'
09-05-2007, 08:50 PM
Thanks! :D
Kneepads, eh? :idea:

RiverToysJas
09-05-2007, 08:59 PM
Dave, I didn't know you were a Dental Hygienist! :idea:

Jordy
09-05-2007, 09:12 PM
Kneepads, eh? :idea:
Would they go with your yellow jersey Lance, err... I mean Jeff??? :idea: :D
Hey Dave, apparently the roadies don't need the knee pads as their caluses are all built up already. :D

RiverOtter
09-06-2007, 03:01 AM
The awesome thing about the Garmin Edge deal is that they would know exactly when and where my heart blew out regardless of where and when they found my corpse:eek:
I am thinking one of those would be sweet but I need to get back on the bike before I would pony up for one. I still have a sweet lighting system I have yet to use from a birthday several years ago.
Some of the best years of my life, I was riding in the mountains 5 or 6 days a week.
Ryph
What's your highest HR. I hit 200 climbing on day. 17% grade 85 miles into a century. :sqeyes:

superdave013
09-06-2007, 03:51 AM
I always crack up when I see the yellow jerserys. Always some dude riding alone. Is he way out front or did his fat ass get dropped again?
I'm kinda shocked that HH and MBlaster are not posting photos of them in full grape smuggler gear. lol I mean we all know they get dressed up (all cute like) :D and roll down to the closest starbucks so they can profile out front for a bit.
Just your typical day out in the dirt. On my trusty Bullit with the old skool Boxxer 151.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/911-25-06Dump001.jpg

Havasu Hangin'
09-06-2007, 04:03 AM
I'm kinda shocked that HH and MBlaster are not posting photos of them in full grape smuggler gear.
Well, Dave...I'm not posting pictures because:
A). When I'm riding, I don't have time to pose for the camera.
B). With us road guys, it's not all about looking good on the internet- it's all about the pain.
Keep posting those pretty pictures...I'm sure you and your boyfriends like the exposure (pardon the expression).

DCarr
09-06-2007, 09:53 AM
I'm quite the biking enthusist myself. I ride about 18 miles a day on a Bicycle given to me by my brother. I forget what make / model it is. And I dont carry a calorie counter with me so I cant comment on that either. But with all the hills around here and riding for a little over 2.5 hours I'm sure its doing some good.

Froggystyle
09-06-2007, 10:06 AM
Well, I rallied the troops and we are all going to run Counting Coup next March. Two of the guys I ride with were strongly considering riding Vision Quest but I basically talked them into CC with me.
We are going to start doing double-up on Noble if you are interested Dave. That will give 5800 vert, but in only 8 miles of climbing. We do single Noble all the time. Here is the ladder for that one...
http://www.geoladders.com/show_route.php?route=270
I have a crappy video of me descending this one but don't know where to post it... http://www.geoladders.com/routes_personal/89/270/DSCN2637jpg.jpg
68 ladder points for that one... Do it twice and you have nearly the CC ride right there!
Here is our weekly Anderson Ride...
http://www.geoladders.com/show_route.php?route=2288
We are riding this one on Saturday if you are interested...
http://www.geoladders.com/show_route.php?route=2593

superdave013
09-06-2007, 11:28 AM
Ok, now I have a new goal. To finish the C.C. with in 2 hours of Froggy. Don't laugh as that's not going to be an easy task.
When it gets closer if you want to pre ride parts of the course let me know.

superdave013
09-06-2007, 11:41 AM
Well, Dave...I'm not posting pictures because:
A). When I'm riding, I don't have time to pose for the camera.
B). With us road guys, it's not all about looking good on the internet- it's all about the pain.
Keep posting those pretty pictures...I'm sure you and your boyfriends like the exposure (pardon the expression).
haha, good to see you up at 5:00AM. Were you going for a ride or going to work?
a) typ. roadie, no time for anything. lol
b) N. Please! anyone who knows any thing about you skinny tire guys knows that image is everything! One must have the correct "kit" before going on any group road jaunt. Lord have mercy on the guy who shows up with a visor on his helmet or socks that don't match. Oh boy did my MTB shoes always cause a stir.
And yes, I should have taken a camera today. The sun rise was pretty nice going up Northridge out in Chino Hills State part today. I'll take one with me next time and share. Thanks for the intrest. :D

yopengo
09-06-2007, 11:54 AM
Sea Otter Classic...Im on the left.
No shaved legs here.
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=38716&stc=1&d=1189108394

eliminatedsprinter
09-06-2007, 12:06 PM
I used to be an avid cyclist (road and trail). I used to train with a fast group of riders and I did all the Roserita Ensenada rides from 1987-92. I also used to go to the great western bike rally in Paso Robles and do their century ride and the short sprint race they used to have (got 2nd place in the tandem div in that once). Up until a couple of years ago I was still getting in a couple hundred miles a week.
Now I just ride my mountian bike on the street, during my lunch breaks at work, 5 days a week. I don't even bother to have my cateye on the bike anymore, because I'm just riding for the time that I have at lunch and I could care less how far that turns out to be. I even have heavy duty tubes in my tires now, because flats bother me, but working harder and going slower no longer does.

JB in so cal
09-06-2007, 01:21 PM
http://www.lifeiscarbon.com/weblog/images/alta_girl_in_living_room.jpg

Froggystyle
09-06-2007, 04:19 PM
Sea Otter Classic...Im on the left.
No shaved legs here.
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=38716&stc=1&d=1189108394
The Sea Otter... is that in Monterey?

Havasu Hangin'
09-06-2007, 05:11 PM
Yes. I believe it also includes some laps around Laguna Seca.

yopengo
09-10-2007, 08:53 AM
Yes, best event for cycling... a must see. There are a lot of events to participate in or watch. All forms of cycling… from road, x-country, slalom, down hill and lots to do for the kids. I usually do the “fun” cross-country ride. I used to compete before I got too fat and lazy. :eek: :D

yopengo
09-10-2007, 08:59 AM
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=38826&stc=1&d=1189443420
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=38827&stc=1&d=1189443492
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=38828&stc=1&d=1189443558
:D :D :D

RiverOtter
09-10-2007, 09:03 AM
Nice
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=38826&stc=1&d=1189443420
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=38827&stc=1&d=1189443492
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=38828&stc=1&d=1189443558
:D :D :D

superdave013
09-10-2007, 09:08 AM
more Sea Otter photos.
When the jump contest was judged by people who knew nothing about dirt jumping Sanjay said screw it "I'm jumping the cruiser". lol
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/48sanjay_cruzer1.jpg
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/48sanjay_cruiserdj_sp04.jpg