PDA

View Full Version : Best Valve Cover Gaskets for 460 Ford??

zgoo
09-05-2007, 09:42 PM
Looking to replace the 28 year old valve cover gasket on my 460, the covers are stock chrome steel ones, which gaskets would be the best to buy?

GM Killer
09-06-2007, 07:19 AM
IMO I always use FelPro cork. I hate the rubber ones. In the end, they are just valve cover gaskets, any decent quality should work

Ken F
09-06-2007, 06:04 PM
I ordered a set from Earls Indy which are metal center with rubber on both sides. They work great! no sealer, don't leak but they are expensive about $80.00 per pair. I'll bet I've had them off and on 25 times so far with no problems.

SmokinLowriderSS
09-06-2007, 06:10 PM
Fel-Pro cork with Copper Coat gasket sealer on the valve cover side.
Min e have been off a half-dozen times since installed, and not a single leak. (I do have CAST Aluminum valve covers tho, not the thin stamped steel ones)

Devilman
09-06-2007, 06:34 PM
I usually run the Fel-Pros, with a thin layer of RTV on 'em. Not sure what brand they are, but as of now I ended up with a set of rubber valve cover gaskets. They have been perfectly fine, had them off 4 or 5 times for various reasons, no leakage yet. No silicone on them either....:)

corlish
09-06-2007, 07:50 PM
Also a fan of cork here -- the molded rubber/silicone ones are fine too though. For the corks, I like to glue (glue not RTV) them to the valve cover, they tend to be a lot more friendly that way when frequently removing to run the valves and such.
Common sense; but make sure the valve cover surface is flat -- a lot of times folks will crank the bolts down and it ends up "arching" the gasket surface between bolt holes and causes a leak. Also -- it's a valve cover i.e. it does not have to be tightened to 900 ft-lbs.
Corey